Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
I hear you! Now I'd not post the s/n of my main machines publicly. This one only cost $35 for the shell at a local Goodwill LOL.
It's all one command. Copy and paste the entire thing at once. It should create a system_profiler.txt file in the current folder.
Open the current folder in the Finder with the following command and sort by Date Modified or Date Added.
open .[/icode [QUOTE="joevt, post: 29733842, member: 710085"] It should be easy to install El Capitan since the MacPro3,1 supports it. Even Catalina should be easy with the dosdude1 patcher. There are many ways to mount 2.5" drives. I used this one: [URL]https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/ADPTADRV/[/URL] I also used the MacPro3,1 ODD SATA connectors to have 6 SATA drives. [URL='https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/pcie-ssds-nvme-ahci.2146725/post-29613683'] #2,431[/URL] First we have to make sure you have a MacPro3,1. This script will get some system information (without serial numbers and volume names). Copy all of it, then paste into Terminal.app (or put the script in a text file and execute the text file like this [icode]sh thetextfile.txt)
Code:
system_profiler \
SPHardwareDataType \
SPParallelATADataType \
SPAudioDataType \
SPBluetoothDataType \
SPEthernetDataType \
SPFireWireDataType \
SPDisplaysDataType \
SPMemoryDataType \
SPPCIDataType \
SPSerialATADataType \
SPUSBDataType | perl -E '
    while (<>) {
        if ( /(^.*(.*Serial Number.*|Hardware UUID): )(.*)/ ) {
            $_ = ("" . $1 . ($3 =~ s/./•/gr) . "\n")
        }
        if ( /^ +Volumes:/ .. /^$/ ) {
            if (/^$/) { print $_ }
        }
        else {
            print $_
        }
    }
' > system_profiler.txt
Compress the result and attach the zip file.
Ok, copy and paste all that code and here's the output
[/QUOTE]

Bareword found where operator expected at -e line 4, near "s/./•/gr"
syntax error at -e line 4, near "s/./•/gr"
Execution of -e aborted due to compilation errors.

I've tried all the programs I can find and nothing looks promising.

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
^ As helpful as it would be, posting serial numbers publicly is actually not the best idea. :) It could theoretically be used by a Hackintosh user, if they’re (A) too lazy to spend half an hour generating a correctly-formatted original serial and (B) unethical.
I'm going to pretend you didn't feed me a straight legal line LOL

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Are you sure you have a 3,1? You can check your Mac Pro's product code at the back panel near the expansion port slots. It's printed there as to what Mac Pro you have. It should say A1186 EMC2133 for 1,1 or A1186 EMC2180 something for 3,1. Secondly, to install Lion, you need an OpenCL graphics card like the Nvidia GT120 or the Radeon HD5770. These 2 cards will allow you to take the Mac Pro 1,1 to Lion and 3,1 to El-Capitan. There are hacks for the 1,1 to go up to El-Capitan by flashing the firmware to 2,1. Whereas the Dos Dude hack allows the 3,1, with the appropriate Nvidia metal based card such as the Nvidia GTX770 with Mac firmware if you want a boot screen(fastest card you can put in 3,1) to go to Mojave. So with the Mac Pro, what video card you have in it dictates how high the OS you can go up to. You should have at least 2Gb or 4Gb of RAM also to begin with. Both the 1,1 and 3,1 have older stock cards which you will need to swap out. The 1,1 has the GeForce GT 7300 and the 3,1 has a stock AMD 2600XT. If you open up the side case and take a look inside and check the graphics card and if you have a GT7300, then you more likely have a 1,1. If you have a 2600XT, then you might likely have a 3,1. The system profiler usually don't lie. If you have a 1,1, then you have a 1,1. What type of RAM did you get? Did you get the PC-5300 DDR2 ECC (667Mhz) or the PC-6400 DDR2 ECC (800Mhz)? The 3,1 uses PC-6400 DDR2 ECC version.

In regards to drive trays.. I don't use drive trays on my Mac Pro 5,1 for SSDs so I can't offer any thoughts on what's available on Amazon. SSDs are often light enough that you can just add a 3M velcro sticker (that you use to hold up picture frames with) which you can buy from either the dollar store or a hardware store to hold the SSD in place after you inserted the SSD drive into the SATA port.

For further questions, you might want to post in the dedicated Mac Pro forum where you have more experienced users and hackers who had upgraded their 1,1 and 3,1 to the max.
Mine is actually a 3.0 from Everyman serial number lookup and what's printed on the case.

A little context: Dell started a program that takes donated equipment to a central Goodwill store with technicians who work on anything. They remove memory and hard drives. The shells go on sale in batches. They gather probably 8-16 hours work and roll them out. NO ONE CAN REVEAL WHEN OR WHAT. This makes for weird dynamics. There are from between 4-10 people at the door by 10 aim when they open. Then it's a free for all. Last. time someone stepped on my leg going in. You zoom to the shelves where the items you want are. You get them in your hands and you can buy them. So I bought this with three others looking elsewhere. I had no opportunity to check model, etc..

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
The easiest solution is to open up System Profiler and look at the BootROM version. If the version number starts with MP31 you have a 2008 3,1, and if it starts with MP21 or MP11 you have a 2006 or 2007 model.
I hate this

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.7f10
Serial Number (system):
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F204C594

Now the system profiler and the label outside agree on the serial number, but that's all.

Attachments

• IMG_0499.jpeg
    IMG_0499.jpeg
    368.2 KB · Views: 101

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
So, both the serial number on the outside label, and the system information both agree that you have a MacPro1,1.

If you got RAM for a 3,1 - and installed it in your macpro1,1 - the FB-DIMMs can be a little finicky, and using 800 MHz RAM, instead of the 667 MHz according to the specs, may not read properly. Return the 800 MHz, and get the correct PC2-5300 DDR2 ECC FB-DIMMs, installed as matched pairs, each pair on one bank, which means that each pair is installed on one memory card, in one of the two pairs of slots on each card.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
So, both the serial number on the outside label, and the system information both agree that you have a MacPro1,1.
... which means the machine can officially go to Lion (10.7.5). Going higher, El Capitan (10.11.6) being the maximum, requires patching and a newer graphics card since the X1900 isn't supported in anything past Lion.

Reactions: Project Alice

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020

If you got RAM for a 3,1 - and installed it in your macpro1,1 - the FB-DIMMs can be a little finicky, and using 800 MHz RAM, instead of the 667 MHz according to the specs, may not read properly. Return the 800 MHz, and get the correct PC2-5300 DDR2 ECC FB-DIMMs, installed as matched pairs, each pair on one bank, which means that each pair is installed on one memory card, in one of the two pairs of slots on each card.
check again - the label says 3.0 as does the serial number. the memory is working fine

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Maybe replace the • with a _
but it's pretty clear by now that you have a MacPro1,1
I'm not following. I need more direction on editing that script. But if the label says 33.0 and so does the serial number lookup why does everyone and 'about Mac' say 1,1 instead ?

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
The label on the outside is accurate for a 2006 Mac Pro with a 3.0GHz processor. Macs never show the "1,1" or "3,1" identifiers on the outside.
So in the label where it says Mac Pro/3.00X/ that's the processor ?
That's certainly deflating. AmI going to have to shop OWC to get a decent one ?

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020

Well, the ram is actually doing fine. I could swear that I ran the specs by the folks I bought the ram from...

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Well, that makes me feel wunnerful. Seems I have the baby instead of a teenager. I don't dispute the finding, ut there are 3.0, at least according yo EVERYMAC.

Next question is what's the best source for a 4,1 or up ?

It'll take a while to save up after all I just got my M1 mini yesterday...

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
... which means the machine can officially go to Lion (10.7.5). Going higher, El Capitan (10.11.6) being the maximum, requires patching and a newer graphics card since the X1900 isn't supported in anything past Lion.
Seems I can't download an EL CAP for love or money. I have either Snow Leopard, High Sierra or Big Sur (on my M1) and that tends to block out anything coming from the App Store. The Hackintosh files are coupled with someoftware.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Last edited:

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Ah, thanks but that DMG won't work. Now if someone would extract the package for me....

That DMG unpacks into a PKG which won't unpack in any of my three machines.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Ah, thanks but that DMG won't work. Now if someone would extract the package for me....

If you copy that DMG over to the Mac Pro that's running Snow Leopard, it won't run the installer package? Exactly what errors do you get?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

1. Get your MP1,1 to OSX Lion.
2. Get the modded DMG of El Capitan. (You can find it in the Youtube video below)
3. Restore that DMG to a physical disk, not a partition on your Lion Disk.
4. After finish, open System Preference to see if you can select the newly restored disk as a boot disk. Do so and reboot.
It will boot directly to the Apple Setup Assistant screen.
After finishing set-up, try to use El Capitan. If it's not smooth (because lacking of graphic acceleration), then turn of and install a better video card.
With the new video card, you will lose boot screen, the first boot will take 5 minutes or so, but it will get you to the log-in screen eventually.

Bonus: I interpret the label on your MP as below:

Mac Pro = Name of the machine
3.0QX = Quad core Xeon at 3.0Ghz (2 x duo-core Xeons)
4x1 = 4 sticks of 1GB FCB DIMM
X1900Xt = Ati X1900XT graphic card
250 = 250GB HDD
2XSD = 2x speed Super Drive DVR-RW.

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
1. Get your MP1,1 to OSX Lion.
2. Get the modded DMG of El Capitan. (You can find it in the Youtube video below)
3. Restore that DMG to a physical disk, not a partition on your Lion Disk.
4. After finish, open System Preference to see if you can select the newly restored disk as a boot disk. Do so and reboot.
It will boot directly to the Apple Setup Assistant screen.
After finishing set-up, try to use El Capitan. If it's not smooth (because lacking of graphic acceleration), then turn of and install a better video card.
With the new video card, you will lose boot screen, the first boot will take 5 minutes or so, but it will get you to the log-in screen eventually.

Bonus: I interpret the label on your MP as below:

Mac Pro = Name of the machine
3.0QX = Quad core Xeon at 3.0Ghz (2 x duo-core Xeons)
4x1 = 4 sticks of 1GB FCB DIMM
X1900Xt = Ati X1900XT graphic card
250 = 250GB HDD
2XSD = 2x speed Super Drive DVR-RW.
Yes, I am the wingnut behind the keyboard that needs tightening. That said, thank you for the lists and my level instructions.

The big thing right now is getting it to boot from a usb installer disk. I COULD put a preformatted El Capitan SSD in. I'll have to jury rig a way it stays in place though.

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
If you copy that DMG over to the Mac Pro that's running Snow Leopard, it won't run the installer package? Exactly what errors do you get?
Right now running the installer from the boot drive results in it saying that the version is incorrect.Trying a usb installer isn't working.

• Angry
Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Right now running the installer from the boot drive results in it saying that the version is incorrect.
It probably checks the machine identifier and says "no way". An unmodified USB installer won't work either.

And if you have the original Radeon X1900 in there the GUI will run like crap.

Last edited:

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Here's a dmg straight from Apple's servers.

http://updates-http.cdn-apple.com/2...cf50-4516-9011-228c78eda3d2/InstallMacOSX.dmg

But you also need a new graphics card for El Cap if the machine still has the Radeon X1900 in it as the label says. Advice: Don't even think about running OS X without a supported GPU.
since it's (the mp) been disappointing all round I want to get it to the highest OSX I can and make it my file server for the network. The least possible $$$.

Now, ho∑ do I use that dmg link ? No, I don't use external download options like CURL or not yet at. least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.