Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
(I posted wrong info before this...)
Here's how to proceed with that InstallMacOSX.dmg :
1. Open that file, which will mount on your desktop as a folder "Install OS X"
2. Open the package file "InstallMacOSX.pkg", which will launch your installer app. Choose to install.
What happens now? The Install only puts the installer app for El Capitan in your Applications folder.
The El Cap system does not actually install - just makes (installs) the installer app "Install OS X El Capitan"
That's your full installer app. You use that to make a bootable installer, following the steps.
You should first make a copy of that installer app to keep on a separate drive. If you want to run it now, a successful install will delete that installer app from your Applications folder, so make a safety copy first :D

Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Yes, I am the wingnut behind the keyboard that needs tightening. That said, thank you for the lists and my level instructions.

The big thing right now is getting it to boot from a usb installer disk. I COULD put a preformatted El Capitan SSD in. I'll have to jury rig a way it stays in place though.

Mac Pro 1,1 can not boot from USB.
And
why do you need a slow USB while you already have the fast SATA ports? There are 6 of them.
You have to restore the DMG file to an HDD or SSD, a blank one in one of the 4 SATA bays.
Same process to install Windows on the Mac Pro. No DVD, no USB, you need to boot from 1/4 SATA bay.
Watch the Youtube video carefully, then follow it. That's the only way for you. Pikifying is beyond your skill level at the time being.

Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
2. Open the package file "InstallMacOSX.pkg", which will launch your installer app. Choose to install.
What happens now? The Install only puts the installer app for El Capitan in your Applications folder.
The El Cap system does not actually install - just makes (installs) the installer app "Install OS X El Capitan"
That's your full installer app. You use that to make a bootable installer, following the steps.
You should first make a copy of that installer app to keep on a separate drive. If you want to run it now, a successful install will delete that installer app from your Applications folder, so make a safety copy first :D

OP's Mac Pro 1,1 does not support El Capitan natively.
He need to pikyfied the installation, or simply restore the DMG file which Hrutkay Mods has prepared.

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
It probably checks the machine identifier and says "no way". An unmodified USB installer won't work either.

And if you have the original Radeon X1900 in there the GUI will run like crap.
In a separate thread I posted how there has to be a boot loader to be seen and boot. There's a difference between booting and running the installer. It's solved now and I'm trying to install LION.

I've modified my goal to simply have a good file server.

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Mac Pro 1,1 can not boot from USB.
And why do you need a slow USB while you already have the fast SATA ports? There are 6 of them.
You have to restore the DMG file to an HDD or SSD, a blank one in one of the 4 SATA bays.
Same process to install Windows on the Mac Pro. No DVD, no USB, you need to boot from 1/4 SATA bay.
Watch the Youtube video carefully, then follow it. That's the only way for you. Pikifying is beyond your skill level at the time being.
At least you added "for the time being" LOL.

The USB is a rescue device until I can put a bandaid on. Call it a habit acquired over 30 years. And yes, it can boot. Especially if you use the ALT key at boot. And a drive with the boot loader is the only way I've found to do it.

I do have an ssd in a separate enclosure if I need to.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
If the goal is to use this as a local file server, I'd just leave it on Snow Leopard. ?‍♂️

I don’t particularly like Lion and upgrading the GPU seems a bit overly ambitious for the OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020

The USB is a rescue device until I can put a bandaid on. Call it a habit acquired over 30 years. And yes, it can boot. Especially if you use the ALT key at boot. And a drive with the boot loader is the only way I've found to do it.

Pikifying is beyond my skill level forever.
I paid a repair shop in the neighborhood 10$ to get a fresh install of OSX Lion.
And do the upgrade to El Capitan from Lion with the disk image of Hrutkay Mods.
I installed Windows 10 by using my PC (with Rufus, it's extremely easy), then transfer the HDD to MP.
There is a little tricky with the firmware flash and SMC flash.
But you won't need them if you don't plan to upgrade CPUs and graphic card.

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
I paid a repair shop in the neighborhood 10$ to get a fresh install of OSX Lion.
I installed Windows 10 by using my PC (with Rufus, it's extremely easy), then transfer the HDD to MP.
FWIW I was given a link to the modified EL CAP which I had running as well as Lion.

I read an article from TechRepublic on how to make these USB installers in case you're interested.

What is this "Pikifying" ? Don't count me out, just Ignorant NOW LOL

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
The original goal was to get as much as I could out of it. Now I'll settle on file server. I was trying EL CAP to see if I could also make it a Time Machine saver. You can do that by bring up System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing > then try to control click on the volume you just shared. It seems Sierra and above give the option to use as a Time Machine backup. I'm going to just dust off my time capsule.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
I was trying EL CAP to see if I could also make it a Time Machine saver.
You don't need to do anything special for that. Enable File Sharing in System Preferences on the computer you want to back up to (I assume the Mac Pro). Then connect to that share on the computer you want to back up from, and select it as your backup location in Time Machine.

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
You don't need to do anything special for that. Enable File Sharing in System Preferences on the computer you want to back up to (I assume the Mac Pro). Then connect to that share on the computer you want to back up from, and select it as your backup location in Time Machine.
Thank you! I ws thinking I needed the special File Share where it specifies it as a Time Machine base. I'll try it and see that for sure it gets seen by Migration Assistant. I hope it's faster than this Time Capsule. It's taken 12 hours on a 250gb.

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Let me ask, is there something on the label (the photo I uploaded), besides the serial number that would tell me the model ?

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Sorry, I'm still missing a step. Is there a table that I could look that up ?
Coming from 'outside', I just know to use EVERYMAC.COM. But that info is definitely misleading. Seems there are other lookup tables I should get familiar with.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Sorry, I'm still missing a step. Is there a table that I could look that up ?
Coming from 'outside', I just know to use EVERYMAC.COM. But that info is definitely misleading. Seems there are other lookup tables I should get familiar with.

I would disagree with you on the term "misleading". Their info are complicated, and hard to look-up to the correct match. But they are very precise, and cover almost all Mac models. Just try the search function on their page.
Searching by Model number & EMC number may show various results.
Searching by Serial number will give you the exact info of your Mac, with the specs that came out of the amssembling factory.

Below is a page that may suit your need.

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
I would disagree with you on the term "misleading". Their info are complicated, and hard to look-up to the correct match. But they are very precise, and cover almost all Mac models. Just try the search function on their page.
Searching by Model number & EMC number may show various results.
Searching by Serial number will give you the exact info of your Mac, with the specs that came out of the amssembling factory.

Below is a page that may suit your need.

Thanks ! Everymac.com has multiple matches . I posted them as part of the post with the sn label.
Well, also since trying to put the patched EL CAP caused me headaches I just gave in and left it at Lion. However I was able to upgrade my Mini and iMac to El Cap.

Just a tip: the new Apple Silicon and Home-brew don't play well together. Yet. Part of it is ownership and rights to directories. I've tried setting them but it's another mystery so far.

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020

Sorry so late to respond. I've done similar with other DMG. Where can I get yje version you specify ?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Well, also since trying to put the patched EL CAP caused me headaches I just gave in and left it at Lion.
What part of the process gave you headaches?
On your own MP1,1 running Lion:
1. Watch the youtube video of Hrutkay Mod. I already gave the link to it in one of your various posts relating to your MP1,1.
2. Open the link that came with the video, download the DMG file to desktop
3. Format a new HDD/SSD installed on a different bay of the MP
4. Restore the DMG file to the new disk.
5. Check in System Preference if it recognize the new disk as bootable (Start up disk)
6. Select the new disk and reboot.

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
What part of the process gave you headaches?
On your own MP1,1 running Lion:
1. Watch the youtube video of Hrutkay Mod. I already gave the link to it in one of your various posts relating to your MP1,1.
2. Open the link that came with the video, download the DMG file to desktop
3. Format a new HDD/SSD installed on a different bay of the MP
4. Restore the DMG file to the new disk.
5. Check in System Preference if it recognize the new disk as bootable (Start up disk)
6. Select the new disk and reboot.

Aha, that's what I was going to try except I was using a different DMG.
By headaches I mean that the more I try, the more questions I have.
On a personal note, I'm retired due to disability. Recently it's gotten worse and I'm having to attend to it
as well as being slowed down by it. Short way of saying, I'm not as fast as one might think in getting things done.

I'm going to try with the DMG I have already. If that doesn't work, I'll try the other you mentioned.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Aha, that's what I was going to try except I was using a different DMG.
By headaches I mean that the more I try, the more questions I have.
On a personal note, I'm retired due to disability. Recently it's gotten worse and I'm having to attend to it
as well as being slowed down by it. Short way of saying, I'm not as fast as one might think in getting things done.

I'm going to try with the DMG I have already. If that doesn't work, I'll try the other you mentioned.

Hrutkay Mods ' DMG worked perfectly on my MP1,1 on the first try. I haven't try any other method, as it isn't necessary.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015

Keep in mind - without a supported graphics card (the Radeon X1900 on the label is totally unsupported for instance), GUI performance in El Capitan will be absolutely terrible. Maybe fine for a file server, but not usable for any interactive things.

Can you check what card you have? System Profiler -> Graphics/Displays.

Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020

Where I live, PC junk shops sells old 80GB HDD for 2$, while a new USB flash drive (32GB) is sold for 5$. So I just buy 3 HDD, each for 1 OS (Lion, El Capitan & Windows 10), and store the Lion HDD away for rescue situations.
Sounds reasonable to you?
You can ask around your friends for old HDDs, for free, I hope.

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Where I live, PC junk shops sells old 80GB HDD for 2$, while a new USB flash drive (32GB) is sold for 5$. So I just buy 3 HDD, each for 1 OS (Lion, El Capitan & Windows 10), and store the Lion HDD away for rescue situations.
Sounds reasonable to you?
You can ask around your friends for old HDDs, for free, I hope.

Very.

My Goodwill had the 255 SSD for $25, the 2TB for $35, 500gb $5-10.. Originally I planned on partitioning the BOOT drive with one OS per partition. But now the SSD has EL CAP thanks to you !

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.