Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So we have a new logo for Formula One starting in 2018:

45948ed820777a246ff9eee13107e746.jpg

F1's marketing head Ellie Norman said the design of the logo was based on two cars going around a circuit and battling for the finish line.

This replaces the former one which had been in use for 23 years. The official decision is that the old logo was too complicated for digital advertising which is becoming more and more important not just to F1 but all brands (many of whom have also simplified their logos to adapt).

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The old logo is so much better I would say. This new one looks very American and wouldn’t look out of place in Indy car. It looked like some thought had gone into submerging the ‘1’ into the ‘F’ with an element of speed in the logo. This one looks like a 70’s oil company with a **** corner thrown in to relate it to racing. All in all pretty poor IMO.

RedGT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2014
London innit
Late to the thread...only just discovered it, sorry if this has already been discussed. . . . But I do miss one shot qualifying. So much more drama/tension.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So I see ESPN now has the US broadcast for F1 starting next year and will just broadcast the FOM World Feed so there will not be any studio staff or segments like we had on NBCSN and FOX / Speedvision.

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
ESPN eh? Let's see how they mess up the coverage. If it interferes with pro football or curling, F1 will get shorted.
[doublepost=1511743054][/doublepost]Season is over....thank goodness. When's the 2018 thread going to start?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
ESPN eh? Let's see how they mess up the coverage. If it interferes with pro football or curling, F1 will get shorted.

Well the bulk will be on ESPN2 with the "major" races on ABC and ESPN so should be no real conflicts - especially considering the time most of the Asian and European races are on for North America.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Well the bulk will be on ESPN2 with the "major" races on ABC and ESPN so should be no real conflicts - especially considering the time most of the Asian and European races are on for North America.

Uh-huh. We'll see how that works out. Remember that Fox would randomly switch their coverage's between their channels and it just happened that good ol Comcast didn't carry their "other" channel. Just a bit skeptical about ESPN.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
there will be though.

and note: it's already been relegated to espn2. bah!

just wait and see. Disney/ABC/ESPN = evil empire. :(
[doublepost=1511783390][/doublepost]
The NBCSN crew are not being retained. ESPN will just re-broadcast the FOM World Feed so Britain’s Sky Sport will be the commentators.
Too bad.

I won't miss Hobbs blowing smoke up Hamilton's tailpipe though. ;)
[doublepost=1511783440][/doublepost]
Uh-huh. We'll see how that works out. Remember that Fox would randomly switch their coverage's between their channels and it just happened that good ol Comcast didn't carry their "other" channel. Just a bit skeptical about ESPN.
as am i.
[doublepost=1511783525][/doublepost]
Late to the thread...only just discovered it, sorry if this has already been discussed. . . . But I do miss one shot qualifying. So much more drama/tension.
eh. i felt that way at first. not that bad a system now.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
As someone who has supported Hamilton from the start I like to see him win the WDC. However I hate periods of domination and get bored. I watched 3 races this year and last year I think I saw 4. The sport just isn’t as exciting as it used to be IMO. I don’t get the free time at weekends now with family either but that’s another story lol.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
If I was Mercedes I would lobby for the full regulation change to come sooner than 2021. It's not really an accomplishment anymore to perennially dominate during possibly the worst and most boring era F1 has ever had.

I think the cars themselves are more of an issue, but Liberty is trying:
http://www.planetf1.com/news/liberty-consider-circuit-changes-to-improve-racing/

how is that going to work?

just fix the regulations. find an era that more cars were competitive in and study those specs. modify from there.

Reactions: BenTrovato
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.