Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well, it’s a shame Red Bull have a slower engine because Renault have turned down the turbos on risk of them blowing in the hot air, and Hamilton has a brand new engine and other parts and has is set to the max, he only has two races so doesn’t really care about looking after it..

Tyres are suffering a lot in today’s race though.

I am hopeful they stick to their guns for the 2021 rule changes, it’s a bit desperate for a Ferrari to threaten to quit F1and Mercedes to moan about having to develop new engines.. I don’t care, I want more and better balance in the sport and if those two quit over it because they will lose their advantages so be it.

What does everyone else think?
One team always dominates whatever rule changes they put in. At least we have two teams capable of winning races now. Put a better engine in the Red Bull and McLaren and that would be four.
[doublepost=1510535883][/doublepost]
only got to see the last 20 laps. hmmp.
I had to wit for the highlights which didn't start until late so kissed a bit to.
Lewis looked super quick coming from 20th to fourth.
With some back markers paying more attention to the blue flags, he could have got third.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Well, it’s a shame Red Bull have a slower engine because Renault have turned down the turbos on risk of them blowing in the hot air, and Hamilton has a brand new engine and other parts and has is set to the max, he only has two races so doesn’t really care about looking after it..

Tyres are suffering a lot in today’s race though.

I am hopeful they stick to their guns for the 2021 rule changes, it’s a bit desperate for a Ferrari to threaten to quit F1and Mercedes to moan about having to develop new engines.. I don’t care, I want more and better balance in the sport and if those two quit over it because they will lose their advantages so be it.

What does everyone else think?

Ferrari always threatens to quit. Bernie had a lot of respect for Ferrari so he always would find a way to appease them. We’ll see if Liberty handles them the same way.

The sport has been in bad shape for a while now with Red Bull’s dominance and now Mercedes. They just announced that the 2017 prize money will be less than 2016 because they didn’t make as much money this year. That should sound the alarm bells. I’m not crazy over Libertys 2021 proposal. It needs work.

Reactions: pachyderm

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Ferrari always threatens to quit. Bernie had a lot of respect for Ferrari so he always would find a way to appease them. We’ll see if Liberty handles them the same way.

The sport has been in bad shape for a while now with Red Bull’s dominance and now Mercedes. They just announced that the 2017 prize money will be less than 2016 because they didn’t make as much money this year. That should sound the alarm bells. I’m not crazy over Libertys 2021 proposal. It needs work.

Formula One is stuck in a bit of a vicious circle at the moment and liberty media inherited that. Less people worldwide are following/watching the sport in 2017 than they were 5 years ago. It all seemed to start when Bernie went after the quick dollar of securing deals with PPV channels back in 2011. It meant F1 got a big load of cash initially as these channels were offering double the amount to have shared or exclusive rights, but it slashed accessibility to fans. We’ve seen a steady decline in viewing figures throughout Europe where F1 has its core audience and this hasn’t gone unnoticed by sponsors.

Rob Dennis admitted a couple of years ago that sponsorship was becoming difficult as now teams are having to negotiate terms rather than sponsors handing over cash just for the privilege. Why pay massive money for less exposure? It’s now more of a niche sport than ever and in 2019 the full live coverage will be exclusive on Sky. Less than a million people will be watching races whereas in 2009/10/10 it was averaging 5.5 to 7m. France, Portugal and Germany have all seen the same pattern. Bernie’s legacy lives on lol.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
One team always dominates whatever rule changes they put in. At least we have two teams capable of winning races now. Put a better engine in the Red Bull and McLaren and that would be four.
[doublepost=1510535883][/doublepost]
I had to wit for the highlights which didn't start until late so kissed a bit to.
Lewis looked super quick coming from 20th to fourth.
With some back markers paying more attention to the blue flags, he could have got third.

A. I'm assuming you're having some sort of keyboard issue. :p

B. I'm to the point where I think that is how it is going to be all the time and I think I prefer it that way. Two or three teams fighting for wins would be fine but when you look at Indycar and see how wretched some of the races are and the teams that win are... Well it makes me appreciate F1 that much more.
[doublepost=1510572078][/doublepost]
Hamilton is in the points by lap 7...
I was close: lap 8

cUDFjjL.png

L1Bsg74.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BenTrovato

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I think Brazil was a good example of how poor F1 has become. The start was exciting watching Vettel and Bottas fight into turn 1. It was exciting because if you watch F1, that might be the most action you see all day.

The main problem was Bottas could not even challenge Vettel. If he got too close, he would burn up his front tyres and then be under pressure from Raikkonen. So had no choice but to hang back and collect second place. A nice Sunday stroll. Same for Kimi, had to hang back and collect third. Another stroll.

The same thing was true for Hamilton. Started 20th but with a new engine, he obliterated the field. Until he caught Raikkonen, then the same thing happened. Get too close and the front tyres burn up. That's procedural racing and boring as all hell. I guess it really has become a management game. They have 200 engineers figuring out when is the best time to change your tyres to gain three hundredths of a second.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I think Brazil was a good example of how poor F1 has become. The start was exciting watching Vettel and Bottas fight into turn 1. It was exciting because if you watch F1, that might be the most action you see all day.

The main problem was Bottas could not even challenge Vettel. If he got too close, he would burn up his front tyres and then be under pressure from Raikkonen. So had no choice but to hang back and collect second place. A nice Sunday stroll. Same for Kimi, had to hang back and collect third. Another stroll.

The same thing was true for Hamilton. Started 20th but with a new engine, he obliterated the field. Until he caught Raikkonen, then the same thing happened. Get too close and the front tyres burn up. That's procedural racing and boring as all hell. I guess it really has become a management game. They have 200 engineers figuring out when is the best time to change your tyres to gain three hundredths of a second.

they need to rethink the aero packages so the we can have drafting again.

Reactions: BenTrovato

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Wow! I thought they were going to wait for the end of season test and put Sirotkin against Kubica, thought it was going to be interesting. Bold move for Williams, hopefully it pays off.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Wow! I thought they were going to wait for the end of season test and put Sirotkin against Kubica, thought it was going to be interesting. Bold move for Williams, hopefully it pays off.

Kubica has a test in the 2017 car at Abu Dhabi so I am guessing if he is as quick in it (formwise) as he was in the 2014 model at his last test, the drive is his.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’ll be skipping this one. The season is over and Abu Dhabi is about the dullest track on the calendar apart from Sochi. The season ender should be in Brazil IMO. They should hide the boring tracks in the middle of the season.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I’ll be skipping this one. The season is over and Abu Dhabi is about the dullest track on the calendar apart from Sochi. The season ender should be in Brazil IMO. They should hide the boring tracks in the middle of the season.
I believe Abu Dhabi pay a premium to have the last race. But it's rare for the title to be decided there.
The track and complex look amazing. Just wish that spent a bit more on designing a track that would produce a good race!

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Abu Dhabi is definitely a boring race but the visuals are good. It’s a nice race to have on in the background while you sip on a coffee and get some work done.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Between the two ME races, I think Bahrain is much cooler now that they have the colored lights to represent desert, trees and water. It really looks awesome from the overhead shots compared to Yaz (whose only real visual impact is the Viceroy Hotel's lighting).

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Kubica has a test in the 2017 car at Abu Dhabi so I am guessing if he is as quick in it (formwise) as he was in the 2014 model at his last test, the drive is his.

RTLF1 reported this last weekend, however, Paddy Lowe tames down this information in today's story on motorsport.com:
(Paddy) Lowe insisted the team would only ever choose such [team-minded] a driver, but that a decision won't be made "this weekend and it won't be next week, so sometime after that".
Full story: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lowe-williams-kubica-injuries-test-982827/

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
What did you guys think of the new F1 logo they revealed at the end of the race?
Didn't notice. Don't really care.
[doublepost=1511709670][/doublepost]
Worst race of 2017 thus far
Agree. Good win for Bottas. Dull race for everyone else.
[doublepost=1511709743][/doublepost]
HUL & ALO scored points. I'm cool.
Alonso couldn't wait for this season to end.
Imagine if Honda trump Renault for power next season? He'd be gutted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.