Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hmmm... whilst it’s great Lewis won this race, and unsurprising, and even better Max won this race. It’s bittersweat because if the dirt and conspiracy stirred up by what Bernie Excleston said this week about F1 being fixed by ‘ensuring Red Bull did not have the biggest engine’, and ‘making regulations that favour Ferrari’..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-...uggests-fia-helped-ferrari-gain-f1-advantage/

To help Ferrari the most, then allow a Mercedes and Ferrari to help each other, to ensure Red Bull can’t win is pathetic, because the teams below them on tiny comparible budgets are being cheated even further..
Having said that I do want to see Force India at the top next year and win races to mix it all up, but the regulations change next year again so who knows.

All IMO. It should be a battle between ALL teams, not 2 at the top with a 3rd being restricted and then everyone else left to their own means with no chance of winning.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Bernie's just annoyed he's no longer even part of The Show, much less running it. The FIA has long been called "Ferrari's International Assistance" but with all the top teams having a direct say in the Technical Regulations and all the teams having a say in the Concorde Agreement, it's pretty clear the FIA cannot directly influence Ferrari's fortunes.

Solid drive by Seb even though the WDC was over at the first corner and congrats to Max for his second win. Torrid weekend for Renault Sport with so many engine failures.

Reactions: BenTrovato

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Been working this weekend so missed a lot of the race. Saw the start and the last few laps.

Good win for Max and looking forward to seeing RBR mixing it up next year.

But Lewis is a worthy champion. Yes Ferrari may have gone into melt down over the last third of the season, but you can't take it away from Lewis.
Apart from some engine reliability and a difficult team mate in the past, this could have been his 6th WDC. But 4 still makes him a legend.
Sir Lewis Hamilton anyone?

Reactions: BenTrovato

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Bernie's just annoyed he's no longer even part of The Show, much less running it. The FIA has long been called "Ferrari's International Assistance" but with all the top teams having a direct say in the Technical Regulations and all the teams having a say in the Concorde Agreement, it's pretty clear the FIA cannot directly influence Ferrari's fortunes.

Solid drive by Seb even though the WDC was over at the first corner and congrats to Max for his second win. Torrid weekend for Renault Sport with so many engine failures.

It does wind me up though as it ruins the sport, a lot of politics in it, probably because of all the money. I want more of the lower teams at the front.

admwright

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
The politics and Ferrari bias are bad for the sport. In a BBC article about the new engine proposals they say:

"However, if the FIA and F1 are in agreement, the teams do not have enough power within F1's rule-making procedure to block them - unless Ferrari objects and decides to use a veto over new rules it has enshrined in its contracts with the sport."

So Ferrari can object/veto where the other teams cannot.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Massa announces his retirement. Not a big surprise.
But who will replace him?
Kubica? Is he fit enough?
Di Resta? Most likely imo.
Wehrlein? Engine suppliers choice, but do Williams want two young drivers?
Time will tell.

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Time will tell.

after the hubbub about Kubica, it better be Kubica!

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
surely he is racing in some other series?

his fitness shouldn't be an issue if they liked him in the test he completed earlier this season.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
He completed 140 laps in Hungary which is a notoriously physical track. I think he’s plenty fit enough for a comeback.
I hope so. But doing it once isn't the same as back to back weekends (plus practice and qualifying).
They talk about life changing injuries, but I'm not exactly sure what they were.
[doublepost=1509903527][/doublepost]
surely he is racing in some other series?

his fitness shouldn't be an issue if they liked him in the test he completed earlier this season.
Not sure exactly but F1 is the top of the tree so I guess time will tell.

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
The politics and Ferrari bias are bad for the sport. In a BBC article about the new engine proposals they say:

"However, if the FIA and F1 are in agreement, the teams do not have enough power within F1's rule-making procedure to block them - unless Ferrari objects and decides to use a veto over new rules it has enshrined in its contracts with the sport."

So Ferrari can object/veto where the other teams cannot.
That's what you get for being loyal to a sport since 1950!

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
My football team being playing in various English leagues for twice that and we don't get any special rules!
That’s completely not the same thing. The cost of F1 is so much greater then any football team.

Also did your stop for a few years then came back into the football league?

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I hope so. But doing it once isn't the same as back to back weekends (plus practice and qualifying).
They talk about life changing injuries, but I'm not exactly sure what they were.
[doublepost=1509903527][/doublepost]
Not sure exactly but F1 is the top of the tree so I guess time will tell.

he'll be fine.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
That’s completely not the same thing. The cost of F1 is so much greater then any football team.

Also did your stop for a few years then came back into the football league?
No. We just get relegated every now and then!
As for costs I'm not sure when you look at the millions we pay in transfer fees and wages!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
As others have said he has extensive injuries to his right arm mainly, but has been competing in Rallying for a number of years since his accident. Rallying I would say is more strenuous on arms than F1 so I think he’ll be fine to return. :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
As others have said he has extensive injuries to his right arm mainly, but has been competing in Rallying for a number of years since his accident. Rallying I would say is more strenuous on arms than F1 so I think he’ll be fine to return. :)
Hope so. Although I'd like to see another Brit as well.
Hopefully they let us all know in Brazil.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Time will tell.

I don’t see Kubica. Martini wanted Massa because they wanted a “senior” driver to pair with Stroll. Stroll’s season was not great so I think that might keep Wehrlein out, as wel. Which would probably put Di Resta in the front spot.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I thought Hamilton would be odds on for BBC Sports Personaility of the Year in 2017, but this might put a big nail in that coffin. Probably better to save £3m in VAT though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.