Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I have to believe the problem was mutual. Honda is the largest engine manufacturer in the world. We'll see what they can do with a different customer.

The McLaren seems to do well when conditions or the track do not require high engine power, so I think the chassis is fine.

And Honda developed the 2017 engine without doing any stress-testing in a chassis so it was never subjected to the forces and loads it would experience during a race. Hence why the thing breaks so much.

Reactions: likhon

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So some weird change at the start today apparently. Drivers being announced or something??
So what do we think? A kneeling Lewis?

Anyway pretty sure it's his race to lose, but looking forward to seeing Max come through from the back.

Hope Alonso can move up the grid to. Think he's more likely to move down though.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
President Clinton at the race???? Never knew he was a fan. Looks like everyone was respectful during the anthem however not sure if ALL the drivers were there.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
President Clinton at the race???? Never knew he was a fan. Looks like everyone was respectful during the anthem however not sure if ALL the drivers were there.
I saw Lewis standing. But only for the last bit. He was hardly shown though so who knows?

Either way I'm ready for it. Even if it's a silly time of day!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Riccardo and Bottas, now that's racing. If only the entire race was like that especially between 1 & 2.
Well it just was!
But now watch car 44 disappear into the distance.
[doublepost=1508699728][/doublepost]
Once DRS was available Lewis easily by, but hopefully Seb can keep in touch.
Not a chance I'm afraid. Best hope is an undercut now.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The McLaren seems to do well when conditions or the track do not require high engine power, so I think the chassis is fine.

And Honda developed the 2017 engine without doing any stress-testing in a chassis so it was never subjected to the forces and loads it would experience during a race. Hence why the thing breaks so much.
I'm not convinced the parameters in which Honda need to develop the engine are favorable. It's possible the chassis is making engine development difficult.

McLaren is a garbage team. Has been for a while.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Vettel almost had Lewis on the undercut during the pit stop rotation, but just missed out. Don't expect positions to change now.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Vettel nearly got the undercut to work. But again Lewis now is in front with newer tyres.
Going to need a mechanical issue to take this from him today.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
I'm not convinced the parameters in which Honda need to develop the engine are favorable. It's possible the chassis is making engine development difficult.

McLaren is a garbage team. Has been for a while.

Honda haven’t produced a race winning engine since Senna - over 26 years ago. McLaren’s chassis is decent, around Ferrari’s/ Red Bull’s/ Mercedes, but Honda have for the past three years provided engines that are slower and less reliable than the others. Honda appear to have been offered help but declined and have paid the price. McLaren were very patient with them, considering the embarrassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.