Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Honda haven’t produced a race winning engine since Senna - over 26 years ago. McLaren’s chassis is decent, around Ferrari’s/ Red Bull’s/ Mercedes, but Honda have for the past three years provided engines that are slower and less reliable than the others. Honda appear to have been offered help but declined and have paid the price. McLaren were very patient with them, considering the embarrassment.
McLaren sucked as a Mercedes customer, too.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Oh for **** sake! Max is pushed to Fourth for gaining an advantage for leaving the track.... yet THEY ALL LEFT THE TRACK DURING THE RACE!!!

An utter joke, especially as the Ferrari’s we’re crawling at the end there! An utter total joke!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
This is even more of a joke when Hamilton was given the track record EVEN THOUGH HE ALSO CLEARLY WENT OFF THE FLIPPING TRACK DURING THE LAP!!!

Hmm their are some nasty politics in this sport... and it just reared it’s head again...

Sigh, if this sport turns even more into dirty politics, I’ll switch to Formula E..

Even Damon Hill just stated that the stewards have been inconsistent ALL WEEKEND with the rules concerning going off the track, even Max said Botas went off the track at one point and gained an advantage but the stewards did nothing about it....

If you have rules, APPLY THEM TO EVERYONE, they need to stop ‘selectively’ enforcing the rules.

Last edited:

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
All in all, a great race.

Hamilton clearly had the pace. I think the race came down to him and Mercedes managing tires, pit stops, and the back markers in order to come home in first. Lewis clearly loves this track, which seems ideal for him and the Mercedes chassis.

The Ferraris and Verstappen were obviously running at pretty close to 100% to make up the time they did towards the end. Bottas did a sterling job of keeping Vettel separated for enough laps to make the end result inevitable. Obviously his tires were going off at the end, but Mercedes kept him out long enough to make sure Hamilton took the checkered flag.

For F1 this was an ideal result. Three teams that are clearly each able of winning a race. Plenty of passing, lots of bona fide wheel-to-wheel action. I'd like to know the full story of Verstappen's last-lap penalty. It didn't look, to me, as if his car completely left the track on that pass of Raikkonen.

Hamilton won't win all the remaining races - least of all Abu Dhabi. But its going to be an enjoyable end to the season.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
It was one of the better races this season, but the stewards tainted it at the end with a completely mindless decision. Fully expect it all to be wrapped up in Mexico though.

Reactions: apolloa

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Sigh... I friggin hate typos and iOS 11’s inability to correct them :( my post lacked sense in some parts.

I’ve heard about these TV apps before.. interesting idea, only issue I have with them is that you are paying criminals in effect, and you don’t know where your money is going, it’s not paying the content owners for their streams. I would much rather have Now TV then those apps as you know your not supporting potential criminals.
Well I don’t believe you can legally use Sky’s streams without paying them?
Is that by any chance an LG TV? I’ve heard of an app on their platform that does what you say.

I’ll be getting our price reduced though a lot next month when I renew, the trick is to call the cancellations team, and if you get a rubbish offer, wait a couple of days as the offers they have to give to their customers change all the time.

Oh I’m well aware it’s illegal to view Sky’s streams without directly paying them but to be honest I’m not at all worried about that. I doubt these illegal streams are going straight to Syria but more likely a computer programmer keen to earn a bit of cash on the side. The guy I deal with is very quick to resolve issues if they arise and produces very good feedback etc. At worst they are defrauding Sky and any money directed away from Murdoch is fine by me. We even had a Sky engineer a few years ago in my area selling boxes on the side. In the heart of the Welsh Valleys I’d bet most people have Sky but not so many have it from actual sky anymore. It might be why Sky are suddenly door knocking recently to get business lol.

I have no issues with those that don’t condone it though and would never get in a debate over it. It doesn’t make any difference to me how people watch their TV’s. :)

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Kvyat is out again at TR for at least Mexico in favor of running Gasly and Hartley.

I'm guessing Gasly and Hartley will be the TR drivers for the remainder of this season and going into 2018 as Honda will be picking up the sponsorship dollars as part of their engine deal. So TR won't need Acronis anymore (dropping Kvyat will likely also lead to dropping Acronis as they back him).

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
After watching Austin live, I would find a bookie and bet large on Mercedes for 2018. No one is even close regardless of what the time sheets say. Renault will be strong in 2019 with their FIA hire but I can’t see anyone matching Mercedes. Also, Bottas won’t be renewed for 2019. After nearly a full season he’s getting passed by inferior cars. Sad to say but he’s simply not good enough.

Those are my two predictions.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
After watching Austin live, I would find a bookie and bet large on Mercedes for 2018. No one is even close regardless of what the time sheets say. Renault will be strong in 2019 with their FIA hire but I can’t see anyone matching Mercedes. Also, Bottas won’t be renewed for 2019. After nearly a full season he’s getting passed by inferior cars. Sad to say but he’s simply not good enough.

Having a second rate driver probably suits Mercedes. No trouble in the garage and it really hasn't affected the championship!

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Having a second rate driver probably suits Mercedes. No trouble in the garage and it really hasn't affected the championship!

I get the feeling they want Lewis to be pushed but maybe you’re right as it worked brilliantly for them this season. I just know that Toto got Bottas in the door and the resigned him while his results were halfway decent. I don’t think Toto will be able to influence him for 2019.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
If the car is truly designed around Lewis' driving style, then anyone else might suffer (just as Rubens and Felipe did with the Ferrari designed around Michael's). And that Valteri will have had a couple of years to at least try and adapt to it might be more beneficial at scoring points that throwing in a rookie.

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

Bottas has won twice in a car designed, possibly in it's entirety for another driver, in commanding style.

He may not be a good as Lewis but he's till pretty decent. ;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Bottas has won twice in a car designed, possibly in it's entirety for another driver, in commanding style.

He may not be a good as Lewis but he's till pretty decent. ;)
They don't want two winning drivers.
Kimi is happy to play second fiddle to Vettel.

But look what happens when a team has no clear policy. Mercedes last year or Force India this.
Red Bull is the interesting one. Two good drivers. But how long can they keep them both happy?

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
They don't want two winning drivers.
Kimi is happy to play second fiddle to Vettel.

But look what happens when a team has no clear policy. Mercedes last year or Force India this.
Red Bull is the interesting one. Two good drivers. But how long can they keep them both happy?

It’s really tough. In Red Bull’s case they need two top guys stealing points and even still they couldn’t catch Ferrari. Mercedes didn’t go for a #2, they went for Toto Wolff’s guy who he used to manage and had loyalty toward. He got him a second year but I think the Mercedes board won’t approve Bottas for year 3 without some outstanding results.

I don’t know for sure but with McLaren stepping into the ring next year and Renault getting Mr.FIA on their team, the time of having a clear #1 will no longer be advantageous.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So news going in is that Daniil Kvyat has been formally released from Toro Rosso and the Red Bull program with Pierre Gasly and Brendon Hartley expected to be TR's line-up for 2018. Daniel Ricciardo is also evidently on the short-list for an AMG Mercedes seat in 2019 with Lewis stating he would love to have him as a teammate.

Amazing final qualifying lap by Vettel to snatch the pole away from Verstappen, but with Lewis only needing to be 5th or better, the WDC is still his tomorrow. And Verstappen was cleared of inhibiting Bottas so his second place qualifying position is safe.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
It's hard to get even slightly excited about tomorrow given a 5th place finish will wrap things up for Lewis.

I think the season was over long ago. We just hope for exciting races now. Although I predict Lewis will sit back to see if Max and Seb take each other out. The Mercedes pace should be strong enough to win from third.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I think the season was over long ago.

It truly ended at Singapore, but the signs were there at both Spa and Monza that Ferrari were now vulnerable. Which is unfortunate - both for the tifosi and the sport - as this was the first year Mercedes was vulnerable car-wise and Ferrari finally (looked to have) had a fully competitive package for the first time in some time.

In the end, I think it was a case of Mercedes fixing their flaws and forcing Ferrari (and their drivers) to push the car too hard which resulted in the rash of mechanical failures and driver errors which swung the WDC firmly back into Lewis' lap.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Knew something would happen in the first corners with Max and Seb but what was Hamilton thinking? He could have just hung back and let those guys ahead take each other out and just waltz/skipped and strolled into this 4th today. Might not happen today but it will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.