Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dinojr

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
I know the X isn't sold by Apple now, but Re-Sellers have loads of stock.
Wondering if the X gets reduced to nearly the XR price, which phone becomes best value?

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I'm going to get an used X. I believe I can get it for around £700-750 and I truly believe it's a better value

AKS3003

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
Between the 2017 X and the XR, XR is the better phone. It has the same RAM, better processor, better camera, better battery life. The only downside is the low resolution LCD if you pixel peep, otherwise I believe the display is good too. 3D touch, I certainly won't miss it.

Reactions: lyngo

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Theres just something about those bezels that just looks really bad to me. like a knockoff phone.
The x is a classier phone. processor is plenty capable for years and years. Old. screen tech is a huge upgrade.
X all the way.

Kram Sacul

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2018
Southern California
Between the 2017 X and the XR, XR is the better phone. It has the same RAM, better processor, better camera, better battery life. The only downside is the low resolution LCD if you pixel peep, otherwise I believe the display is good too. 3D touch, I certainly won't miss it.

Better camera? Really? I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same camera from the 7.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I'm going to get an used X. I believe I can get it for around £700-750 and I truly believe it's a better value
How the X better value when the Xr will have significantly superior camera performance, faster FaceID and better system on ship.

The X will only be good value if you get it for £550-600.

AKS3003

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
Better camera? Really? I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same camera from the 7.
XR has the same sensor and optics as the XS. The larger pixel size should lead to much better low light performance. Also, all of the features like portrait mode, smart HDR, adjustable bokeh, higher dynamic range, stereo sound capture have been brought to the XR, and the 2017 X won't get any of them. The dual lens in only for 2X optical zoom now, nothing else.

chilman

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Always take the latest processor, A12 bionic is many times more advance than the predecessor. The LCD screen is crispy clear and often not easy to see the difference, unless of course you want to look at the smallest difference. Beside the XR has a bigger screen, a little more bezel but that shouldn’t kill the purchase.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Apple drops support based on processor. So this means the Xr will enjoy longer support than the X at this point (A12 vs A11). Having said that, looks like Apple understands that most people won't just upgrade their phones yearly (which is why they mentioned the longevity of their products). So the X will still enjoy a long life, but the Xr will definitely outlast the X.

In short, I'll always prefer the latest phones for longer support.

dinojr

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
I get that, but they still sell the 7 & 8... So those buyers should be supported for the same timeframe as an XS buyer surely?

"Any" phone bought today should have the same usable life. Hence a cheap X via a reseller is still a consideration.

Reactions: apolloa

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Apple drops support based on processor. So this means the Xr will enjoy longer support than the X at this point (A12 vs A11). Having said that, looks like Apple understands that most people won't just upgrade their phones yearly (which is why they mentioned the longevity of their products). So the X will still enjoy a long life, but the Xr will definitely outlast the X.

In short, I'll always prefer the latest phones for longer support.
the X can easily go 5+ years. EASYYY
With battery replacements so cheap and phones already blazing fast there is nothing wrong with an X 5 years from now...
This isnt like the old days with slow phones. Anything passed the 6s will have lots of issues. The X is future proof believe it or not.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1

Pixel peep? LOL, no way. Maybe with a magnifying glass, or VR headset. Otherwise, the screen is retina, and pixels are indistinguishable at normal viewing distance, even less.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
With battery replacements so cheap and phones already blazing fast there is nothing wrong with an X 5 years from now...
This isnt like the old days with slow phones. Anything passed the 6s will have lots of issues. The X is future proof believe it or not.
Please read my comment again. However long the X is being supported, the Xr will be supported longer, as simple as that.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
It can't. It's camera is very dated. No machine learning, Smart HDR and other clever things that makes photos perfect.

You'll see the difference once comparisons with newer iPhones are published. The camera in the X will be left for dust.

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
Wow. As nice as the XR is, I'm kinda surprised at how one sided people are in favor of it vs the X.

I would argue it's very much use case dependent given that the A12 isn't THAT much faster than the A11 (only 15% on the CPU, albeit up to 50% for the GPU, and the Neural Engine is still mostly academic at this point).

Do you watch a lot of movies/TV/video or enjoy having your photos really pop? If so the X with OLED may be the better choice. Heck even if you're just someone who spends a lot of time reading & or on social media, the extra PPI will be nice on your eyes.

Of course having dual SIM/A12/larger camera sensor (on a phone, meh, LOL @ those who think it will "blow away" the X, and no telephoto)/bigger screen/other new features is also nice, so in the end I think the question is what matters to YOU.

Also, I would advise anyone looking to wait, I think (hope) we'll see the X drop well below $750 by Christmas if we're lucky :)
[doublepost=1536830660][/doublepost]
I get that, but they still sell the 7 & 8... So those buyers should be supported for the same timeframe as an XS buyer surely?

"Any" phone bought today should have the same usable life. Hence a cheap X via a reseller is still a consideration.
FYI, in spite of what I said above, I do want to point out that, as others have already stated, this is NOT how Apple works. Although Apple now generally supports phones for 5+ years from their original release, the iPhone 7 will almost certainly see support dropped before the 8/X, and the 8/X will quite possibly have support dropped before the XR/XS/XSM. That said, the 8/X are only a year old so while they may not be supported "as long," this shouldn't really be an issue unless you're planning on using it well beyond 2022.

Last edited:

Kram Sacul

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2018
Southern California
XR has the same sensor and optics as the XS. The larger pixel size should lead to much better low light performance. Also, all of the features like portrait mode, smart HDR, adjustable bokeh, higher dynamic range, stereo sound capture have been brought to the XR, and the 2017 X won't get any of them. The dual lens in only for 2X optical zoom now, nothing else.

All of that sounds good on paper but right now it’s just hype until actual comparisons come out. Portrait and adjustable bokeh. lol The only real useful thing is stereo sound capture which the X should do but isn’t enabled.

Reactions: apolloa

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I would definitely go with the X. My favorite features coming from the iPhone 7 were the OLED display and the 2X optical zoom lens capability. Only reason to get the XR if both are priced the same is for a new colorway or extra battery life. The iPhone X, IMO, already has excellent battery life. The performance improvements won't really be noticeable aside from maybe a slightly faster Face ID unlock. The other thing is if you keep your iPhone for 5-6 years, the iPhone XR will probably be supported a year longer in iOS software updates because it's a year newer.

Reactions: Jovijoker

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
It can't. It's camera is very dated. No machine learning, Smart HDR and other clever things that makes photos perfect.

You'll see the difference once comparisons with newer iPhones are published. The camera in the X will be left for dust.
Dated? Yea right.

The images from the x to xr quality will be minimal. Camera tech hasn’t improved that much in a year...

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
Theres just something about those bezels that just looks really bad to me. like a knockoff phone.
The x is a classier phone. processor is plenty capable for years and years. Old. screen tech is a huge upgrade.
X all the way.

So,has the price of a used X increased like you predicted?

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I know the X isn't sold by Apple now, but Re-Sellers have loads of stock.
Wondering if the X gets reduced to nearly the XR price, which phone becomes best value?
Apple is selling the X in stores still, starting at $899

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.