Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
With the same ppi as a iPhone 4 from 2010 a 3.5” phone. You think adding 2.6” to an iPhone 4 and not changing its quality will make it look as good? Nope.
Yes at the same viewing distance, sharpness is identical regardless of screen size if the pixel density is the same (unless you change the screen type). This is scientific fact. That’s the whole point as to why we quote pixel density.

Is the 401 ppi LCD potentially better? Sure but that’s a different argument. The point here is that a 326 ppi LCD
will look the same regardless if it is 2” or 7”, as long as you have the same viewing distance.

By the way, speaking of viewing distances, usual viewing distance for smartphones is about 12-16”.

For the pixel density to be such that individual pixels are not resolvable is as follows:

264 ppi: 13” (iPad Pro)
326 ppi: 10-11” (iPhone 8, iPhone XR)
401 ppi: 9” (iPhone 8 Plus)

Not sure about the OLEDs but I’m guessing more in the 8” range. Harder to compare though since the OLED matrix requires more ppi to hide it.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
It offers more than most people realize. A guy on a thread titled Apple selling X for $899 listed all that the XS offers over the X. It is an eye opener.
On paper the 'improvements' in performance all look great during a keynote presentation. How many of these "under the hood" differences will the user even notice? People are still happy using iPhone 7's and iPhone 6s's so these incremental upgrades shouldn't be that big a deal.
The only real BIG difference, if you're eyesight is great and you're perception to it is high, is the OLED vs the LCD.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Yes at the same viewing distance, sharpness is identical regardless of screen size if the pixel density is the same (unless you change the screen type). This is scientific fact. That’s the whole point as to why we quote pixel density.

Is the 401 ppi LCD potentially better? Sure but that’s a different argument. The point here is that a 326 ppi LCD
will look the same regardless if it is 2” or 7”, as long as you have the same viewing distance.

By the way, speaking of viewing distances, usual viewing distance for smartphones is about 12-16”.

For the pixel density to be such that individual pixels are not resolvable is as follows:

Not sure about the OLEDs but I’m guessing more in the 8” range. Harder to compare though since the OLED matrix requires more ppi to hide it.
hoping you're right ill wait and see one in person before recommending them to friends with plus size phones. I just notice the difference in quality from a 8 to and 8+ so id assume this screen will look worse then the 4.6" models based on size alone and blown up pixels/ui.

AKS3003

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
It's funny how some people are unable to understand difference between display PPI and resolution. Two screens with different sizes, but the same PPI, will have different resolutions. The larger display needs to have more resolution to maintain the PPI. Same is the case with the iPhone XR. It has a larger display with a higher resolution to maintain the same PPI and display experience as the iPhone 8. With a PPI of 326 the iPhone XR has a perfectly sharp display.

One more thing to note is the actual size of the elements on the display. When you get very close(less than 2") to the 4.7" display, you will note a loss in sharpness on elements like the battery indicator, WiFi indicator, etc. However in terms of physical dimensions, the battery indicator on the XR is significantly larger than the one on the iPhone 8, so when the same 326 PPI is used to create the larger indicator, it will appear even sharper from normal viewing distances. So in real world use you can actually expect your viewing experience on the XR to be better than that of the 4.7" 326 PPI display.

Combine this with excellent colour reproduction and contrast ratios, one can expect the XR display to be an excellent one. Combine this with better camera, SoC, battery, speakers, wireless charging, faster FaceID and same 3GB of RAM, I wonder why would anyone buy the 2017 X over the 2018 XR

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
hoping you're right ill wait and see one in person before recommending them to friends with plus size phones. I just notice the difference in quality from a 8 to and 8+ so id assume this screen will look worse then the 4.6" models based on size alone and blown up pixels/ui.
The reason going from 8 to 8+ can look clearer to some is because the 8+ has a higher pixel density. It has nothing to do with the size.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Easily the X. I chose it over the 8 Plus for overall design and OLED. Can't imagine going back to LCD display, let alone a 720p display.

The 720 P display is definitely a downfall at least for those who can see the clear difference from 1080 P. I think for most consumers with the XR, they likely won’t care as much about 720 P display, but for those who more tech oriented, it’s very dated.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Education.

He himself says it’s not 720p. However, his other statements can also be considered a bit misleading.

Furthermore, you aren’t limited to 720p playback on that.

The more accurate statement is that the screen is between 1080p and 720p and if you watch 1080p content it will be downscaled to less than 1080p but more than 720p.

Consider yourself educated.

BTW, 720p content looks just fine on my 7 Plus anyway.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
man wish they offered that red in the xs max. best color Imo

I think Apple executed the color choices really well for the XR, and I was surprised to see six colors. Product red is a stellar color, especially for the XR, it’s very much like a Ferrari red. I Expect that color to be a huge seller come October.

Reactions: Woodcrest64

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
For me I’d choose the X over the XR for the dual camera and the OLED screen. Hard to justify paying that much for phone and getting only a 720p screen.

But if I didn’t care about those things I’d get the XR.

For me it's the other way around. 326 ppi is what I have on my current 6s and is nice enough. Colours will be even better on the Xr. That relatively low pixelcount gets me a lot of extra batterylife. And that's what I greatly prefer over oversaturated colours from an oled screen. And maybe a headache.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
XR has the same sensor and optics as the XS. The larger pixel size should lead to much better low light performance. Also, all of the features like portrait mode, smart HDR, adjustable bokeh, higher dynamic range, stereo sound capture have been brought to the XR, and the 2017 X won't get any of them. The dual lens in only for 2X optical zoom now, nothing else.
And the 2x zoom is something I use more, and is more important to me, than the other features like portrait. Taking photos of something that isn't close, and then having digitally zoom, sucks compared to having the 2x optical zoom. For that reason alone, I wouldn't 'downgrade' to a XR.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
The XR has No HDR display, No 3D Touch, No telephoto / zoom lense.

1792×828 resolution (326 PPI) LCD vs 2436×1125 resolution (458 PPI) OLED.

XR has just a single, optically stabilized 12-megapixel sensor.

Both are IP67, Advanced LTE

The XR has a dual SIM card the X doesn’t.

The XR has A12 vs the X A11 Bionic chip but both on iOS12.

As for my opinion:

I’d say it’s worthy of a budget phone but the XR is NOT better than the X even at the same price just for a 15% faster phone. Sorry.

As for the displays IMO there’s a difference if you do a lot of video streaming (like watching TV) and you can see how deep the blacks are on OLED where you can have black crush with transitions of scenes when you have less PPI spread across a slightly larger LCD screen, it just won’t be as brilliant.

If you don’t stream then it won’t make a difference as your daily driver and phone use one bit.

Personally it would be a huge downgrade for the screen alone. I put that a top priority.

Last edited:

Ermir444

macrumors regular
May 12, 2017

Forget about the numbers. Go to the Apple store and compare an iPhone 8 to an 8+ and then to the X. You will immediately realise that the resolution of the iP8 is vastly inferior to the 8+ and even more inferior to the iPX. The iPhone 8 will look dowright pixelated compared to the last two. The numbers might lie but the eye test defenetly does not. The XR will maginify that difference even further due to the larger screen size. The screen will be a MASSIVE downgrade and not worth the 15% gain in processing power.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Forget about the numbers. Go to the Apple store and compare an iPhone 8 to an 8+ and then to the X. You will immediately realise that the resolution of the iP8 is vastly inferior to the 8+ and even more inferior to the iPX. The iPhone 8 will look dowright pixelated compared to the last two. The numbers might lie but the eye test defenetly does not. The XR will maginify that difference even further due to the larger screen size. The screen will be a MASSIVE downgrade and not worth the 15% gain in processing power.
No need to go to the store to compare iPhone 8+ vs 8. I have both a 6s and 7 Plus. The 6s looks fine at normal viewing distances. Default font sizes are smaller in Standard Display mode on the iPhone 6s though. These smaller default font sizes would be present on the XR as well. The X/XS has similar default font sizes to the 8 Plus.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
. The iPhone 8 will look dowright pixelated compared to the last two. The numbers might lie but the eye test defenetly does not. The XR will maginify that difference even further due to the larger screen size..

That last bit isn’t true. Screen size won’t make the XR any less sharp than an 8.

But I agree the only real way is to compare in an Apple store.

Reactions: EugW

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2008
I’ve been deliberating whether to get the XR or last year’s X to upgrade from my 7. The X’s better screen, case design and thinner bezels clinches it for me.

Nexus One

Suspended
Sep 15, 2018
Laughing at people on here for thinking the iPhone X is better value than the XR. Trying to justify wasting money on the X by bashing the XR's display because the XR was more than enough to discontinue the X in only 10 months.

XR
Better SoC
Better camera
Bigger display
Longer battery life
Faster Face ID
Middleground size of the XS & XS Max
Less cramped keyboard since it's wider
128 GB option for only $50 more
More color options
Cheaper

X
Telephoto
OLED (more blue light shift, burn-in)
Higher res/ppi
3D Touch (who cares?)
Slimmer bezels
Smaller

The X is only good value at $550 or $200 less than the XR. If both were priced the same, the XR is easily the better value.

Gets iOS12 out of the box while iOS11 initially was terrible. The band around the XR doesn't scratch as easily. The GPU doesn't need to work so hard with less res/ppi once you software update. Think how fast and fluid the SE still was on iOS11 and iOS12 thanks to that low res display.

XR may not get a successor next year knowing Apple focuses on high profits and not volume sales. So if you purchase a 10R this year, you may not feel so bad while the iPhone 11 replaces the 10S. If Apple does offer a successor, they might gimp it.

Only thing I would miss the most is the Telephoto and I honestly don't care. I have an LG G5 and LG V20 with wide-angle which is more useful. After a few weeks, I stopped using the camera. I'm not a shutterbug. That initial impressions for the camera wears off on me.

This isn't the 5c which was the same internally as the 5 but had an uglier, glossy plastic body. The XR is no doubt better than the X. Stop bashing the XR for being cheap. It's faster than your X and the red XR blows away any color the X/XS is available in. Best value for an iPhone since the SE.

Reactions: karmatourer

Ermir444

macrumors regular
May 12, 2017
No need to go to the store to compare iPhone 8+ vs 8. I have both a 6s and 7 Plus. The 6s looks fine at normal viewing distances. Default font sizes are smaller in Standard Display mode on the iPhone 6s though. These smaller default font sizes would be present on the XR as well. The X/XS has similar default font sizes to the 8 Plus.
But honeslty, you can agree with me that your 6S looks pixelated compared to your 7+, right?
[doublepost=1537032336][/doublepost]
Laughing at people on here for thinking the iPhone X is better value than the XR. Trying to justify wasting money on the X by bashing the XR's display because the XR was more than enough to discontinue the X in only 10 months.

XR
Better SoC
Better camera
Bigger display
Longer battery life
Faster Face ID
Middleground size of the XS & XS Max
Less cramped keyboard since it's wider
128 GB option for only $50 more
More color options
Cheaper

X
Telephoto
OLED (more blue light shift, burn-in)
Higher res/ppi
3D Touch (who cares?)
Slimmer bezels
Smaller

The X is only good value at $550 or $200 less than the XR. If both were priced the same, the XR is easily the better value.

Gets iOS12 out of the box while iOS11 initially was terrible. The band around the XR doesn't scratch as easily. The GPU doesn't need to work so hard with less res/ppi once you software update. Think how fast and fluid the SE still was on iOS11 and iOS12 thanks to that low res display.

XR may not get a successor next year knowing Apple focuses on high profits and not volume sales. So if you purchase a 10R this year, you may not feel so bad while the iPhone 11 replaces the 10S. If Apple does offer a successor, they might gimp it.

Only thing I would miss the most is the Telephoto and I honestly don't care. I have an LG G5 and LG V20 with wide-angle which is more useful. After a few weeks, I stopped using the camera. I'm not a shutterbug. That initial impressions for the camera wears off on me.

This isn't the 5c which was the same internally as the 5 but had an uglier, glossy plastic body. The XR is no doubt better than the X. Stop bashing the XR for being cheap. It's faster than your X and the red XR blows away any color the X/XS is available in. Best value for an iPhone since the SE.
You are the only one here trying to justify purchasing 2010 technology at 2018 premium prices. XR is dead on arrival because a 326 ppi pixelated sceen technolgy that is outright outdated and frankly dissrespectful at 850 euros. The least they could have done is the 401 ppi screen from the plus models. You are right that this isnt a 5C, because its even worse. At leat the 5C had up to date screen tech on par with the premium offering at a cheaper price.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.