Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
But honeslty, you can agree with me that your 6S looks pixelated compared to your 7+, right?
In standard mode, no I wouldn't say that. Everything looks nice and crisp at usual viewing distances (over 12"). The only time I would really notice it is in Zoomed Display mode. The 6s doesn't look so good in that situation, due to font aliasing. In contrast, the 7+ looks fine in Zoomed Display mode.

It also could be argued that the 6s is more in need of Zoomed Display mode than the 7+, since the default sizing of the fonts of the 6s is smaller than the 7+.

I don't know how it is in games though, since we generally don't use these phones for games.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I know the X isn't sold by Apple now, but Re-Sellers have loads of stock.
Wondering if the X gets reduced to nearly the XR price, which phone becomes best value?
Now This is an interesting concept.

2017 X old but premium
Processor: A11 Bionic
Ram: 3gb
Screen: OLED
Camera: dual
Colors: silver, space gray

2018 XR new but basic
Processor: A12 Bionic
Screen: LCD
Camera: single
Colors: white, space gray, blue, yellow, coral, red

Basically it boils down to either get an older premium phone or newer basic phone. One is faster phone or one is better resolution.

I would probably get the 2017 X because of the premium features such as stainless steel build, dual cam, and OLED. This is because I feel like A11 is already beast enough too that I wouldn’t really miss the A12.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Laughing at people on here for thinking the iPhone X is better value than the XR. Trying to justify wasting money on the X by bashing the XR's display because the XR was more than enough to discontinue the X in only 10 months.
I'm laughing at your opinion. I already had a X so no, I will not downgrade to a XR. The thing that 'discontinued the X in only 10 months' was the XS.
[doublepost=1537032764][/doublepost]
Now This is an interesting concept.

2017 X old but premium
Processor: A11 Bionic
Screen: OLED
Camera: dual
Colors: silver, space gray

2018 XR new but basic
Processor: A12 Bionic
Screen: LCD
Camera: single
Colors: white, space gray, blue, yellow, coral, red

Basically it boils down to either get an older premium phone or newer basic phone. One is faster phone or one is better resolution.

I would probably get the 2017 X because of the premium features such as stainless steel build, dual cam, and OLED. This is because I feel like A11 is already beast enough too that I wouldn’t really miss the A12.
Exactly. How much do these incremental speed differences make in real world use? A lot of people like to hype up the numbers to back their position.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Laughing at people on here for thinking the iPhone X is better value than the XR. Trying to justify wasting money on the X by bashing the XR's display because the XR was more than enough to discontinue the X in 10 months.

-snip-

The only reason the X was discountinued was because it was continued with XS.

The X changed iPhone without a home button, the XS is its evolution and all phones for quite some time will emulate the X. Why make 2 of the same phone? When one has better specs and your offerring a budget phone? Apple didn’t want to cannibalize thier own XR sales if they sold last years X at the same price. No one would want to buy the XR and they knew it too.

We clearly proved and collectively agree the X is still a better phone than the XR and one is a budget phone the other is still a premium phone.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
2017 X. The screen makes all the difference.

Of course. It's the one thing that you interact most with. I absolutely *hated* lugging around the surfboards that were Plus sized phones, but had to because the experience of 1080 res was that much better.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
It can't. It's camera is very dated. No machine learning, Smart HDR and other clever things that makes photos perfect.

You'll see the difference once comparisons with newer iPhones are published. The camera in the X will be left for dust.

He didn’t say anything differences. He’s just stating that it will last. It should of the iPhone 5s is still supported and can take iOS 12.

Nexus One

Suspended
Sep 15, 2018
Ranking my favorite iPhone designs -
1. 5s/SE (space gray)
2. 2G
3. 4/4s (black)
4. XR (red)
5. 8 (red)

Worst were 5c, 3G/3Gs, 6/6s.

It's all about design and making fashion statements for most Apple users. If you get the silver or space gray XS, nobody will know you have the XS. With XR, it's clearly obvious you're holding a new one. I also despise that ugly, vertical camera hump on the X/XS. Never liked it.

Ranking the XR colors -
1. Red
2. Black
3. White
4. Blue
5. Coral
6. Yellow

It's called XR because it's meant to be bought in RED. The red iPhone XR AKA Ferrari Edition...

invisibleshoes

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
1. 5s/SE (space gray)
2. 2G
3. 4/4s (black)
4. XR (red)
5. 8 (red)

It's all about design and making fashion statements for most Apple users. If you get the silver or space gray XS, nobody will know you have the XS. With XR, it's clearly obvious you're holding a new one. I also despise that ugly, vertical camera hump on the X/XS. Never liked it.

Ranking the XR colors -
1. Red
2. Black
3. White
4. Blue
5. Coral
6. Yellow

It's called XR because it's meant to be bought in RED. The red iPhone XR AKA Ferrari Edition...

Lmao. You are in over your head.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
1. 5s/SE (space gray)
2. 2G
3. 4/4s (black)
4. XR (red)
5. 8 (red)

Ranking the XR colors -
1. Red
2. Black
3. White
4. Blue
5. Coral
6. Yellow

The next time I buy a phone so people will know what I’m holding will be the first time.

My Max is going into a case as soon as the SIM is in.

Nexus One

Suspended
Sep 15, 2018
Forget the X. In some ways, the XR is better than the XS especially if you value price and battery life more. $250 more for an OLED and Telephoto? Glass is glass. It shatters.

The XR is the only model that offers my favorite color and 128 GB. It's a no-brainer for me. People are just trying to justify their purchases when most users could care less having those features. Pixel 3 XL will only have one camera too and it will likely be priced more than the XR.

Had the XR come with a weaker SoC and camera, then a discounted X would've been a better option. But it didn't. Comes with a better SoC, camera, and promises longer battery life than last year's X. It wasn't gimped as it was expected to be. Apologies to the X owners who fell for the beta X trap.

Think iPhone 5c but instead of packing the 5's internals, it came with the 5s' internals. That's the XR in a nutshell. It emulated what the SE did to the 6s. X is old news. I knew something better would come along in 10 months and it also would come cheaper.

Offering it in RED and 128 GB for $200 less of a 64 GB XS is the cherry on top.

deivydas

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2014
Vilnius, Lithuania
To me XR is not even an option. Visually looks cheap as hell, 720p resolution for 6'1 inch screen is a joke of the year and the price for this - 879 eur (in my country) even more hilarious :) If there is a possibility to get X for the same or similar price - just go for it.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Forget the X. In some ways, the XR is better than the XS especially if you value price and battery life more. $250 more for an OLED and Telephoto? Glass is glass. It shatters.

The XR is the only model that offers my favorite color and 128 GB. It's a no-brainer for me. People are just trying to justify their purchases when most users could care less having those features. Pixel 3 XL will only have one camera too and it will likely be priced more than the XR.

Had the XR come with a weaker SoC and camera, then a discounted X would've been a better option. But it didn't. Comes with a better SoC, camera, and promises longer battery life than last year's X. It wasn't gimped as it was expected to be. Apologies to the X owners who fell for the beta X trap.

Think iPhone 5c but instead of packing the 5's internals, it came with the 5s' internals. That's the XR in a nutshell. It emulated what the SE did to the 6s. X is old news. I knew something better would come along in 10 months and it also would come cheaper.

The XR has really struck a chord with you. You just joined today and you're hitting the posts hard and heavy on the XR bandwagon.

Especially the red.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

The xr is throttled down from the xs and xs Max. Just look at the geekbench scores. Compare them to the “beta” x and you’ll see it’s not faster. The xr is just not better than an x. No arguing really. The x is a polished premium phone. Xr is the wannabe x that is somewhat more affordable.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The xr is throttled down from the xs and xs Max. Just look at the geekbench scores. Compare them to the “beta” x and you’ll see it’s not faster. The xr is just not better than an x. No arguing really. The x is a polished premium phone. Xr is the wannabe x that is somewhat more affordable.
There have only be a few geekbench scores. I don't think we can make any conclusions just yet, since such benches can vary by more than 5%. Historically Apple hasn't throttled things down on "lesser" iPhone models of the same generation. For example, the iPhone 8 is the same speed as the X, and the SE is the same speed as the 6s.

The main instance where I remember the SoC being throttled was the iPad Air vs the iPad mini 3, but that's probably partially because the iPad Air is massive in size in comparison to the iPad mini 3. The iPad mini 3 got the same clock speed as the 5S at 1.3 GHz, but the iPad Air, which had much more surface area for cooling, was allowed to hit 1.4 GHz.

Nexus One

Suspended
Sep 15, 2018
Key word is same price. If the 10 was $150 cheaper, then I would consider it but not 100% for last year's specs.

The 10R could have easily just have the 10's specs but it's really a weird hybrid of the 8 (720p LCD, no Telephoto), 8 Plus (price), with the heart and the main rear eyeball of the 10S.

Face it, the 10 was rushed to celebrate iPhone's 10th birthday. That's why iOS11 was so awful and 8/8 Plus were so boring. The 10 will still live on though if the 5s and 6 are still being sold.

In all honesty, did the 10 ever live up to its initial $1000 price? If yes, you could be lying to yourself when a $750 XR is internally better than it. You get a $250 discount after 10 months.

Remember, the SE was an oddball too coming out of left field. Had 6-months specs that was $150 cheaper than the 6s and even cheaper than the weaker 6! It's the weird ones that you end up loving because you don't expect so much from it or it came unexpected.

If the 10 gets prepaid and only goes for $500, then it's a go to get it. If not, just stick to the XR.

XR is a hybrid of many devices -
5c colors
SE bargain
8 display
8 Plus price range
X RAM
XS SoC, Face ID, main cam

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Key word is same price. If the 10 was $150 cheaper, then I would consider it but not 100% for last year's specs.

The 10R could have easily just have the 10's specs but it's really a weird hybrid of the 8 (720p LCD, no Telephoto), 8 Plus (price), with the heart and the main rear eyeball of the 10S.

Face it, the 10 was rushed to celebrate iPhone's 10th birthday. That's why iOS11 was so awful and 8/8 Plus were so boring. The 10 will still live on though if the 5s and 6 are still being sold.

In all honesty, did the 10 ever live up to its initial $1000 price? If yes, you could be lying to yourself when a $750 XR is internally better than it. You get a $250 discount after 10 months.

Remember, the SE was an oddball too coming out of left field. Had 6-months specs that was $150 cheaper than the 6s and even cheaper than the weaker 6! It's the weird ones that you end up loving because you don't expect so much from it or it came unexpected.

If the 10 gets prepaid and only goes for $500, then it's a go to get it. If not, just stick to the XR.

XR is a hybrid of many devices -
5c colors
SE bargain
8 display
8 Plus price range
X RAM
XS SoC, Face ID, main cam
I really don’t understand why people think the x was a beta product. It’s not at all. This isn’t 2016 anymore. The 6+ was a bad product. That’s known.
The x is the most polished product I’ve ever used from Apple. Have you used one for longer than a day or week or month?
It’s the best phone I’ve ever had and it’s more than capable processor wise. The 6+ was a beta product and it showed its age. The x a year later with iOS 12 feels like a faster x phone which was already blazing fast.
You’re paying less for the screen tech which is huge. Not just a small feature it’s the main thing you look at and interact with the screen is everything.
Lastly why do you think the processor is that much better than the x? According the the geekbench from the x to the xr there is no different and the xr performs worse. We’ll wait and see when more numbers come in but I’m not expecting the xr to perform better than an x besides faster faceid.

Reactions: Ermir444

tks900

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
What Apple did hear is genius. Put specs into the XR that make it very desirable, but leave some stuff out that the X had. So people wonder and wonder which of those to buy. And then end up buying the XS.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What Apple did hear is genius. Put specs into the XR that make it very desirable, but leave some stuff out that the X had. So people wonder and wonder which of those to buy. And then end up buying the XS.

There has to be a separation between the XR and XS models. Apple can’t conflate too much by including some of the same features and technology in both phones, especially if they want to retain a $250 price point difference. Which is the fact that the XR is including wireless charging and the latest A12 processor with the latest Face ID, is still fairly impressive to me.

Reactions: Broadus

tks900

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
There has to be a separation between the XR and XS models. Apple can’t conflate too much by including some of the same features and technology in both phones, especially if they want to retain a $250 price point difference. Which is the fact that the XR is including wireless charging and the latest A12 processor with the latest Face ID, is still fairly impressive to me.

I agree. They need some people to buy the XR. But those of us who ARE having second thoughts about missing out on the OLED, they will buy the XS. Provided they have the money. And that’s fine.

bhigh8

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
why does no one mention the Xr has the best of the batteries. that's why I am thinking about it. it is better than all previous iphones. mostly because of the lcd screen but we can all use a better battery.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom

It’s kind of amusing that you accuse others of trying to justify their decision when your posts are reams and reams of you defending your own decision when nobody’s really attacking it.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I really don’t understand why people think the x was a beta product. It’s not at all. This isn’t 2016 anymore. The 6+ was a bad product. That’s known.
The x is the most polished product I’ve ever used from Apple. Have you used one for longer than a day or week or month?
It’s the best phone I’ve ever had and it’s more than capable processor wise. The 6+ was a beta product and it showed its age. The x a year later with iOS 12 feels like a faster x phone which was already blazing fast.
You’re paying less for the screen tech which is huge. Not just a small feature it’s the main thing you look at and interact with the screen is everything.
Lastly why do you think the processor is that much better than the x? According the the geekbench from the x to the xr there is no different and the xr performs worse. We’ll wait and see when more numbers come in but I’m not expecting the xr to perform better than an x besides faster faceid.

Whoever said that X is a beta product is quite clueless. I've owned literally every iphone since 2007, and the X was the best, hands down. The A11 was so far ahead of its time when released that the A12 is not even 50% faster in the benches so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.