Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Apple is selling the X in stores still, starting at $899
I went for the X. Just got one for half a price in pristine condition. Pretty good deal!
At that used price, I'd go for the X. However, you lucked out.

In another scenario where a local Apple Store was clearing out its old X stock for $100 less than last year's pricing as mentioned in the quote above yours, I'd take the XR in a heartbeat. While it's partially personal preference, the XR is a better phone overall, or at least in the same ballpark (with some advantages and some disadvantages), but with much cheaper price.

At the same price, it's kind of a wash, but I'd still choose the XR.

IOW, I think the X, XS, and XS Max are all overpriced new.

BTW, Grolubao, while I do think you did really well, I also think your pricing is partially a testament to the falling resale values of high dollar iPhones. The prices on the X series now are so high that they're pricing themselves out of the reasonable used market. People just don't want to spend that kind of coin on a used phone.

Dated? Yea right.

The images from the x to xr quality will be minimal. Camera tech hasn’t improved that much in a year...
The XR has a new, larger camera sensor than the X. It went from 1.22 um pixels in the X to 1.4 um pixels in the XR/XS/Max. This should make for significantly improved low light shots.

The X's 1.22 um pixel size hadn't been updated since the iPhone 6s.

Also, the camera in the XR has a much more powerful SoC attached to it compared to the X.

Last edited:
Reactions: fryfrkhlly

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
For me the screen resolution is very disappointing on the XR. No way should a 6.1" display have anything less than a 1080P screen.
That doesn't make sense. It has the exact same pixel density as the iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S, 6, 6s, 7, and 8.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
It's not bad by any means but it's also well below any other flagship phone's display resolution. This is the one thing I can't get past.
Do you view your phone closer than 10". If not then don't worry about it since you can't resolve the individual pixels past 11" anyway.

And I guess I should point out it's not a flagship phone either.

JCCL

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2010
Always take the latest processor, A12 bionic is many times more advance than the predecessor. The LCD screen is crispy clear and often not easy to see the difference, unless of course you want to look at the smallest difference. Beside the XR has a bigger screen, a little more bezel but that shouldn’t kill the purchase.

Raw performance is 15% CPU and 50% GPU. that’s not even one time. Let alone many times more advanced

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Raw performance is 15% CPU and 50% GPU. that’s not even one time. Let alone many times more advanced
The Neural Engine in the XR is 8X as fast as the Neural Engine in the X, and has been connected to the camera for image processing.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I feel like the XR is the "iPhone 5C" of this year's releases (budget model). The X was the premium version of last year's line, it's not like it was released ages ago. I'll be keeping my X since the XS seems to offer nothing substantially different and I have no desire for a bigger phone in the Max. XR seems like a downgrade from the X to me. This is the first time since being an iPhone owner 10 years ago in 2008 with the iPhone 3G that I will not be upgrading.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I feel like the XR is the "iPhone 5C" of this year's releases (budget model). The X was the premium version of last year's line, not like it was ages ago. I'll be keeping my X since the XS seems to offer nothing substantially different and I have no desire for a bigger phone in the Max. XR seems like a downgrade from the X to me. This is the first time since being an iPhone owner with the iPhone 3G in 2008 that I will not be upgrading.
The XR is both an upgrade and a downgrade from the X. But what I would argue is that the XR at $749 is a much better value than the discounted X at $899. If both were $749 then that's a different story.

Also, the XR has a cheap 128 GB option too. My intent is to buy a 128 GB XR. In Canada that is $1099, or $70 more than the 64 GB model. In the US, that is $799, or just $50 more than the 64 GB model.

In contrast, I believe the prices for the discounted X in 2018 are $899 for the 64 GB and $1049 for the 256 GB, or $150 more than the 64 GB model.

That makes the discounted 256 GB X US$250 more than the 128 GB XR. Ouch.

JCCL

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2010
The Neural Engine in the XR is 8X as fast as the Neural Engine in the X, and has been connected to the camera for image processing.
Cool for the camera I guess and Animoji........most things are exactly the same

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I feel like the XR is the "iPhone 5C" of this year's releases (budget model). The X was the premium version of last year's line, not like it was ages ago. I'll be keeping my X since the XS seems to offer nothing substantially different and I have no desire for a bigger phone in the Max. XR seems like a downgrade from the X to me. This is the first time since being an iPhone owner with the iPhone 3G in 2008 that I will not be upgrading.

It offers more than most people realize. A guy on a thread titled Apple selling X for $899 listed all that the XS offers over the X. It is an eye opener.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I totally get your point. For $100 definitely just go for the XR, I can't believe anyone not doing that...

Yes, half price is still a lot of money, $600, specially for a used phone, but I have to be realistic that it would be or this or a iPhone 7. Oddly enough, and even though I could pay for the XS, I couldn't stop thinking that there were no compelling reasons to do that opposed to buying a used X.

I also feel the resale value of the XS is gonna be terrible compared to this year's X since there's no special features in it.

At that used price, I'd go for the X. However, you lucked out.

In another scenario where a local Apple Store was clearing out its old X stock for $100 less than last year's pricing as mentioned in the quote above yours, I'd take the XR in a heartbeat. While it's partially personal preference, the XR is a better phone overall, or at least in the same ballpark (with some advantages and some disadvantages), but with much cheaper price.

At the same price, it's kind of a wash, but I'd still choose the XR.

IOW, I think the X, XS, and XS Max are all overpriced new.

BTW, Grolubao, while I do think you did really well, I also think your pricing is partially a testament to the falling resale values of high dollar iPhones. The prices on the X series now are so high that they're pricing themselves out of the reasonable used market. People just don't want to spend that kind of coin on a used phone.

The XR has a new, larger camera sensor than the X. It went from 1.22 um pixels in the X to 1.4 um pixels in the XR/XS/Max. This should make for significantly improved low light shots.

The X's 1.22 um pixel size hadn't been updated since the iPhone 6s.

Also, the camera in the XR has a much more powerful SoC attached to it compared to the X.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
the X can easily go 5+ years. EASYYY
With battery replacements so cheap and phones already blazing fast there is nothing wrong with an X 5 years from now...
This isnt like the old days with slow phones. Anything passed the 6s will have lots of issues. The X is future proof believe it or not.

Performance may be quite future proof. Support is another matter. However, the 5s is now five years old and still supported. Good news looking forward.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Performance may be quite future proof. Support is another matter. However, the 5s is now five years old and still supported. Good news looking forward.
And the 5s isn’t even close to the level of the 8’s and x of last year.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
For me I’d choose the X over the XR for the dual camera and the OLED screen. Hard to justify paying that much for phone and getting only a 720p screen.

But if I didn’t care about those things I’d get the XR.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
For me I’d choose the X over the XR for the dual camera and the OLED screen. Hard to justify paying that much for phone and getting only a 720p screen.

But if I didn’t care about those things I’d get the XR.
Again, it’s not a 720p screen, and the XR actually has more effective screen real estate the X and XS.

Reactions: GuruZac

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Again, it’s not a 720p screen, and the XR actually has more effective screen real estate the X and XS.
please explain that one? the bezels are the biggest they've ever been in an iPhone. maybe about the size of the 3g and 3gs.
[doublepost=1536989577][/doublepost]yup about the same

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 10.31.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 10.31.05 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 316
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 10.32.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 10.32.09 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 296

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
please explain that one? the bezels are the biggest they've ever been in an iPhone. maybe about the size of the 3g and 3gs.
[doublepost=1536989577][/doublepost]yup about the same
Bezel size is a completely tangential discussion. The point was that effective screen real estate of the XR is more than the XS, and that is absolutely true.

Apple has designed the XR to be able to display the exact same amount of screen information as the XS Max. They are identical in that regard. Furthermore, Apple has designed the X and XS to display less information.

The XR and Max are designed to display 370944 points of screen information. The X and XS are designed to display 304500 points of screen information.

This means that the XR (and Max) can display 21.8% more information on screen than the X and XS.

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
Easily the X. I chose it over the 8 Plus for overall design and OLED. Can't imagine going back to LCD display, let alone a 720p display.

MagicTorch

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
UK
Always take the latest processor, A12 bionic is many times more advance than the predecessor. The LCD screen is crispy clear and often not easy to see the difference, unless of course you want to look at the smallest difference. Beside the XR has a bigger screen, a little more bezel but that shouldn’t kill the purchase.

It would kill the purchase for me. The bigger screen on the XR (& overall footprint of the XR) is what would make me always favour X/XS over XR. I know that the difference in size between X & XR is minor, but for me personally, I feel that X/XS already pushes the boundary of what is acceptable for a phone in terms of size. Last year, I upgraded from a 5S to X & it took me a while to get used to the increased size & I certainly would not want a phone that was bigger than X. Now if Apple would have packed an XR into a chassis smaller than X/XS, I would have been interested in moving to XR

Reactions: makzr

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Bezel size is a completely tangential discussion. The point was that effective screen real estate of the XR is more than the XS, and that is absolutely true.

Apple has designed the XR to be able to display the exact same amount of screen information as the XS Max. They are identical in that regard. Furthermore, Apple has designed the X and XS to display less information.

The XR and Max are designed to display 370944 points of screen information. The X and XS are designed to display 304500 points of screen information.

This means that the XR (and Max) can display 21.8% more information on screen than the X and XS.
With the same ppi as a iPhone 4 from 2010 a 3.5” phone. You think adding 2.6” to an iPhone 4 and not changing its quality will make it look as good? Nope.

Reactions: apolloa and Jim165

My Name is URL

Suspended
Nov 18, 2013
UK
Purely personal preference. But for me that would be the X. Screen is king when it comes to phones and the OLED screen trumps performance upgrades for me.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
That's not even a question. X is a much better phone. XR is a budget offering using crud screen tech from iPhone 4.
[doublepost=1537004034][/doublepost]
With the same ppi as a iPhone 4 from 2010 a 3.5” phone. You think adding 2.6” to an iPhone 4 and not changing its quality will make it look as good? Nope.
You obviously don't understand the difference between PPI and resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.