Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018
is it worth it to buy an used iPhone X 64gb at $580? it comes with 1 month warranty and brand new accessories.

tks900

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
Just to follow up on this thread more generally: Reviews clearly point out that the XS has a much better camera than the X. See here for an impressive example: http://austinmann.com/trek/iphone-xs-camera-review-zanzibar

To me, this suggests that whoever values camera performance as an important reason for his or her upgrade to a new phone, should seriously consider buying an XS or XR rather than a used X.

Reactions: akuma13

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
Whoops, made a similar thread like this.

But the gist of it is that you can now buy the X used for quite a bargain. The X resale value is tanking and you can get some pretty good deals buying one second hand. Obviously be smart like making sure the phone at least has some warranty remaining and the person you're buying it from can provide the receipt or their contact information.

But yeah as some folks have mentioned in this thread, the XR is overall a downgrade to the X than an upgrade.

Reactions: Nisaja

dinojr

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
As per my original message, in the uk you can now get an X for £849, with new customer 10% off that’s nearly the XR price (see very.co.uk).. Think I’m going for an X

Reactions: SteveOfTheStow

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018
As per my original message, in the uk you can now get an X for £849, with new customer 10% off that’s nearly the XR price (see very.co.uk).. Think I’m going for an X

maybe wait and see the reviews of XR. in terms of value, XR is certainly comparable to X, but judging from what people are saying about the smart HDR, i think that if your phone is your primary camera, then go for the XR. you will get much better photos in challenging lighting conditions. Afterall, these photos are forever, and the screen is only until you change your phone (and the screen isnt really all that bad).

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I see your point Caspavio, but the XS reviews suggest it is barely superior to the X, let alone the XR.
Plus the fact the XR is huge (Given the choice I'd have an SE sized phone), I think the X will be fine for me ...
The reviews suggest the camera is a big upgrade.

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018
That's what they say every year...

well big and small is very subjective.

based on what i understand, one problem in photography is under poor lighting conditions, you will have parts of a photo overexposed and parts underexposed. i experienced this enough when traveling, especially outdoors. this makes crappy photos, eg if the background is correctly exposed, i look super dark, but if I am correctly exposed, the background is whitewashed. so like goggle's hdr+, smart hdr simply takes many photes at different exposure and stitch the best bits together. so if you have good lighting, smart hdr isnt going to affect much. but if you have poor lighting, the difference will be much more significant.

lens wise, it supposedly have larger sensor and pixels, which in theory should translate into better low light performance. however, it is ultimately still a small sensor, so you might see improvements, but it wont provide any jump in quality. of course, there are other things that can further improve low light photography (not sure about these in XR or even XS), such as better OIS to allow slower shuttle speed, etc.

i am not too concerned with portrait mode and zoom because most people dont usually shoot portrait modes, and while the 2x zoom which is better than nothing, is not exactly useful since it's only 2x zoom. also, you can only choose 0x or 2x zoom, nothing in between.

like you, the size is a major minus for me, but the above and the A12 chip is why i may choose the XR. the neural engine is about 8-9 times faster. i would expect a lot of developments in the AR, AI, ML area, so it may be worthwhile to futureproof that. But that is me, i will use this new phone for at least another 3 years.

if size is the main deterring factor, at least hold both in your hands before deciding. my gf also said she will never upgrade from her 5S, but she cant stop laughing at my 5S now

Last edited:
Reactions: tks900

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
They made the sensor larger with the 6s. I didn't see much of a difference coming from my 6. I'm sure the Xs will look better than the X when kept side by side, but otherwise you won't notice a difference.

The A12 performs almost exactly the same as the A11. Benchmarks are about the same.

This is just an S upgrade, and a bad one...

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
After lots of negotiating, I did it guys.

Just bought a silver iPhone X for quite a bargain from someone, in like new condition, warranty, receipt, etc. Oh my goodness is this one sexy phone. It's quite an upgrade from my SE, and I will have to get used to the size. Honestly speaking, the X is the biggest my hands can handle comfortably without straining it. Using Plus phones, the XR, or Max is out of the question as they really are too big, and heavy too.

Money well spent. Anyone wana buy an SE?

Reactions: SteveOfTheStow

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
They made the sensor larger with the 6s. I didn't see much of a difference coming from my 6. I'm sure the Xs will look better than the X when kept side by side, but otherwise you won't notice a difference.

The A12 performs almost exactly the same as the A11. Benchmarks are about the same.

This is just an S upgrade, and a bad one...
The 7 Plus is nice improvement over the 6s. We have both.

The Xs will be an enormous improvement over the 6s. Less of an improvement over the X.

tks900

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I see your point Caspavio, but the XS reviews suggest it is barely superior to the X, let alone the XR.
Plus the fact the XR is huge (Given the choice I'd have an SE sized phone), I think the X will be fine for me ...

As Caspavio pointed out, there can be no doubt that this is a big upgrade camerawise (if not much else). I have shared this review before. Just look at the side-by-side comparison between X and XS. In fact, when shooting against the light, the XS does much better than many actual cameras!

http://austinmann.com/trek/iphone-xs-camera-review-zanzibar

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
X easily for me. Shipping a phone with less than 1080p resolution and slapping a flagship price tag on it in 2018 is laughable to me.

The A12 is nice but the upgrade is minimal...especially with iOS12. Camera is improved but still inferior to the Pixel.

I also like/use 3D Touch every day

Last edited:

tks900

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
On the question of whether it is still inferior to the Pixel, reviews are inconsistent. Some do give the edge to the XS though, especially in complicated shooting conditions.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Look at Gruber’s review, the difference in the photo quality is astounding. In fact, I’ve never seen that big a difference between generations. If photography is important for you, XS is a big deal, no matter what you’re coming from.

Reactions: akuma13 and Broadus

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
If I were considering only those two options at the same price (assume both are new), I'd have a hard time choosing.

In the end, I think I'd go with the Xr ... here's why.

1. The A12 chip has a significantly faster GPU and the 6x performance on the Neural Engine (whatever that means, it's 6x so it's gotta be worth it.).

2. It has native access to the DoF adjustment, and I think that's really cool.

3. BLUE

4. Presumably, it'll get iOS updates a few years longer.

I would hate giving up the dual lens, but that's the only thing that would drive me to the left-over stock X.

Tough choice indeed.

Kram Sacul

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2018
Southern California
Look at Gruber’s review, the difference in the photo quality is astounding. In fact, I’ve never seen that big a difference between generations. If photography is important for you, XS is a big deal, no matter what you’re coming from.

If photography is important you’re not just using a smart phone to take pictures.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC

What caught my attention (besides the photos illustrating difference in quality between the XS and the X) was what Gruber said about the XR:

For anyone upgrading from an older iPhone, the iPhone XS and XS Max should seem amazing in every regard. Compared to last year’s iPhone X, the XS and XS Max are solid refinements across the board, but deliver a dramatic year-over-year step forward in photo and video quality. If you care about the image quality of the photos and videos you shoot with your phone, it’s hard to resist.

What I find most interesting is that the two things responsible for that step forward — the A12 system (including the same Apple Neural Engine) and the much larger new wide-angle camera sensor — are included in the upcoming iPhone XR, which, for the same amount of storage, costs $250 less than than the XS and $350 less than the XS Max. I suspect there are a lot of people out there who don’t care about the telephoto lens on the XS and who don’t see much if any difference between the XR’s LCD display and the XS’s OLED one who are looking at these prices thinking they must be missing something. They’re not.
I'm looking forward to the XR reviews next month.

ooloo

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2018
and what about 3d touch? it seems to me majority of people don't care about it, even here

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Choose XR. There’s a reason Apple discontinued the X instead of marking it down.
[doublepost=1536823561][/doublepost]

Apple said it has the same new large sensor as Xs. This means 1.4 micrometer pixels vs 1.2 on the X.

Yes and that precise reason is so that people buy the XR instead of the X.

If Apple still had the X in its lineup along with the XR, the X would outsell it.

OP, I would go for the X as I cannot get over the size of the bezels on the XR. Just doesn’t look right.

Reactions: Nisaja

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
If photography is important you’re not just using a smart phone to take pictures.

That's just plain wrong. Majority of people use their phone as their primary camera. "Photography is important" =! "professional photographer".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.