Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Forget the X. In some ways, the XR is better than the XS especially if you value price and battery life more. $250 more for an OLED and Telephoto? Glass is glass. It shatters.

The XR is the only model that offers my favorite color and 128 GB. It's a no-brainer for me. People are just trying to justify their purchases when most users could care less having those features. Pixel 3 XL will only have one camera too and it will likely be priced more than the XR.

Had the XR come with a weaker SoC and camera, then a discounted X would've been a better option. But it didn't. Comes with a better SoC, camera, and promises longer battery life than last year's X. It wasn't gimped as it was expected to be. Apologies to the X owners who fell for the beta X trap.

Think iPhone 5c but instead of packing the 5's internals, it came with the 5s' internals. That's the XR in a nutshell. It emulated what the SE did to the 6s. X is old news. I knew something better would come along in 10 months and it also would come cheaper.

Offering it in RED and 128 GB for $200 less of a 64 GB XS is the cherry on top.

What device are you coming from?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Whoever said that X is a beta product is quite clueless. I've owned literally every iphone since 2007, and the X was the best, hands down. The A11 was so far ahead of its time when released that the A12 is not even 50% faster in the benches so far.
its looking more in lines with a 5-10 % increase if that.
Ive had every iPhone since the 3g and I feel the same way. iPhone 4 was a beta product also with the antenna lines. apple sending out free bumper cases ect... The five felt out in comparison though. the 6 was the last beta product I feel. The plus version was a dog after new updates and way underpowered to push the display.
[doublepost=1537105185][/doublepost]
What Apple did hear is genius. Put specs into the XR that make it very desirable, but leave some stuff out that the X had. So people wonder and wonder which of those to buy. And then end up buying the XS.
and then they really miss the width of the plus size models and return the xs for a x max. Damn you apple

Reactions: tks900

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
If I didn't have the X, and I was looking to get a new phone today, the XR is an attractive choice given the price compared to the alternatives. The LCD screen isn't a big deal to me as my vision isn't that great to pick up the difference in PPI. The lack of 3D Touch is no big deal to me.
The big downfall, in my opinion, is the lack of the telephoto lens. That is huge for me since I'm always using the 2x optical zoom.
I don't know, if I was buying a new phone today, if I would spend the extra $250 for the second lens.

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018
I am struggling between X and XR. Everything about XR is great except its size. Tried my cousin's P20 pro (they are quite similar in size) and it is definitely too big. However, I am not sure if it's worthwhile to give up the A12 chip. Any advice? is the A12 chip a lot better? Thanks

Reactions: makzr

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
According to Apple, it is. But unless you’re a hardcore mobile gamer, you won’t see the difference.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The A12 supposedly has 15% faster dual core "hi speed" cores compared to the A11 and the four low power cores are about 50% more efficient, but not faster. The neural engine part of the chip is way faster on the A12 but it's not exactly clear what usage would tap into the neural engine (photo recognition).
Also Face ID is faster on the A12.

We'll find out very soon by reviewers if the A12 makes a noticeable difference in real work use compared to the A11. Probably barely noticeable side by side. Undetectable by itself.

Reactions: m0sher

tks900

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
From what I understand, the A12 is necessary for the new capabilities in photography, i. e. Smart HDR and bokeh adjustments. For me, that is a main advantage when comparing XR and X, possibly outweighing the lack of a second lens.

charlievb

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Someone has just offered me a used iPhone X (2017) 256GB Space Gray for £700, 10 months old, very good condition. If i buy it I would plan to spend the £25 with Apple for a new battery.

The 256GB XR would be £899. Any reason why it would be worth paying £175 extra for the XR. Especially given that i would very much value the OLED screen of the X.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
Someone has just offered me a used iPhone X (2017) 256GB Space Gray for £700, 10 months old, very good condition. If i buy it I would plan to spend the £25 with Apple for a new battery.

The 256GB XR would be £899. Any reason why it would be worth paying £175 extra for the XR. Especially given that i would very much value the OLED screen of the X.

Then no clearly not :rolleyes::confused:

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest

Only if you value the fancy bokeh slider and not the telephoto lens.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018

That’s what this thread summed up : at the same price or lower, most concede here, that the X would be a better phone and those reasons have been discussed in detail.

The X to XR is a semi downgrade in more areas than it is an upgrade.

Last years premium phone to this year’s budget phone.

Reminder :

The XR has No HDR display, No 3D Touch, No telephoto / zoom lens.

1792×828 resolution (326 PPI) LCD vs 2436×1125 resolution (458 PPI) OLED.

Dual 12-megapixel rear camera (wide-angle lens) on the vs single lens on XR.

Both are IP67, Advanced LTE so no advantages here.

The XR has a dual SIM card the X doesn’t, may or may not effect you anyway.

XR has A12 bionic chip 15% faster and the X has an A11 chip.

All in all up to you what you value more as personal opinion, right or wrong the choice is yours.

Last edited:

tks900

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
For me, the question whether it’s an upgrade or downgrade depends very much on the actual photography performance. This is something we will not know before some actual testing. However, I personally think that Apple was quite surprised when devices as the Pixel 2 performed so well in this area, and with one lens for that matter. The XR needs to compete with the Pixel 3, so it has to be roughly as good as this one in photography, which to me implies that it will be better in this field than the X.

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
From what I understand, the A12 is necessary for the new capabilities in photography, i. e. Smart HDR and bokeh adjustments. For me, that is a main advantage when comparing XR and X, possibly outweighing the lack of a second lens.
No that’s just up selling. The slower pixel2 xl compared to x does it for a while now

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
X, IMO

Geekbench has shown the processing speed difference is minimal

iOS 12 speeds up an already fast UI experience

Most importantly the X has the OLED display and dual cameras in a lighter, more premium body

Just my 2 cents though, I’m sure others will suggest differently
[doublepost=1537128625][/doublepost]
It can't. It's camera is very dated. No machine learning, Smart HDR and other clever things that makes photos perfect.

You'll see the difference once comparisons with newer iPhones are published. The camera in the X will be left for dust.

Dated??? Lol no way man. If you’re that much into photography, smartphones will not please you. You need real pro cameras then. As good as bokeh effects are getting, don’t delude yourself into Apple’s marketing. They are incredible for what they are but these updates are so minor on the macroscopic level

The new iPhones are as minimal as upgrades get, the XR is a downgrade in many ways, I think if you’re getting a smartphone, the display is more important given how much one looks at their device. It’s the primary point of everything we do with our phones...looking at our screens. It’s very impressive that apple (along with their display partners) has developed an lcd display to go to the edge of the screen, something thought of as not possible not too long ago, but it’s still the same ppi as the iPhone 4. No doubt the tech has changed and improved, as we can see how much better the lcd tech in the iPhone 5,6 and 7 displays all were but the X is still much better. The quality of OLED screen that apple has used is among the best period.

The A12 is a very minor improvement over the A11, and the neural engine stuff is over hyped and over marketed. The tech is impressive but by the time everything starts making use of the functions, it will be time for next years iPhones to come out and the A13 will just improve on it yet again

The X, if one can find it for the same price as the XR, is one heck of a good deal

The new iPhones are more for the people who have the 7 and older, than they are for the people who have last year’s devices

Last edited:

tks900

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
Sure, the A12 may not be much faster than the A11. But Apple will enable Smart HDR only with the A12. And I for one am eager to see how much of an improvement it will be once the first XS tests come out. Since the XR has the same main camera, we can expect similar results from the XR. For me, this is what it comes down to. If the XR takes better pictures than the X, I‘ll take the XR and am also happy with more battery life, faster Face ID etc. If the X takes better pictures or the difference is negligible, I‘ll get a used X and am also happy with my OLED.

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018
Reading through all the posts, many factors were mentioned, e.g. camera, screens, battery life, etc. Those dont really matter to me. The only reason Im considering X is because of its smaller size, which is still a little too big for my liking. And the fact that Im a cheapskate who doesnt want to pay 999 for my phone. My only concern is the A12 chip, because I usually replace my phone only after 3-4 years. which is the lesser of two evil? future-proofing my phone but compromise with a larger phone or the opposite?

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
Laughing at people on here for thinking the iPhone X is better value than the XR. Trying to justify wasting money on the X by bashing the XR's display because the XR was more than enough to discontinue the X in only 10 months.

XR
Better SoC
Better camera
Bigger display
Longer battery life
Faster Face ID
Middleground size of the XS & XS Max
Less cramped keyboard since it's wider
128 GB option for only $50 more
More color options
Cheaper

X
Telephoto
OLED (more blue light shift, burn-in)
Higher res/ppi
3D Touch (who cares?)
Slimmer bezels
Smaller

The X is only good value at $550 or $200 less than the XR. If both were priced the same, the XR is easily the better value.

Gets iOS12 out of the box while iOS11 initially was terrible. The band around the XR doesn't scratch as easily. The GPU doesn't need to work so hard with less res/ppi once you software update. Think how fast and fluid the SE still was on iOS11 and iOS12 thanks to that low res display.

XR may not get a successor next year knowing Apple focuses on high profits and not volume sales. So if you purchase a 10R this year, you may not feel so bad while the iPhone 11 replaces the 10S. If Apple does offer a successor, they might gimp it.

Only thing I would miss the most is the Telephoto and I honestly don't care. I have an LG G5 and LG V20 with wide-angle which is more useful. After a few weeks, I stopped using the camera. I'm not a shutterbug. That initial impressions for the camera wears off on me.

This isn't the 5c which was the same internally as the 5 but had an uglier, glossy plastic body. The XR is no doubt better than the X. Stop bashing the XR for being cheap. It's faster than your X and the red XR blows away any color the X/XS is available in. Best value for an iPhone since the SE.

And nobody in this discussion mentions the XR is covered for a year while the X is not.

Last edited:

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Reading through all the posts, many factors were mentioned, e.g. camera, screens, battery life, etc. Those dont really matter to me. The only reason Im considering X is because of its smaller size, which is still a little too big for my liking. And the fact that Im a cheapskate who doesnt want to pay 999 for my phone. My only concern is the A12 chip, because I usually replace my phone only after 3-4 years. which is the lesser of two evil? future-proofing my phone but compromise with a larger phone or the opposite?

Considering Apple takes cares of their older phones your in pretty good hands.

This will be supported you’ll see tomorrow when iOS 12 increases old phone speeds tremoundoudly more so on the older phones than the newer versions, going back to 5S! It’s more than by 50% performance boost on the older phones is what is being seen by beta testers. We’ll see.

So yeah, the X will easily be around 3-4 years from now.

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
I just upgraded my secondary phone from a 6S (326 DPI) to a 7 Plus (401 DPI) and the screen improvements from a LCD standpoint are amazing. The lower resolution on the 6S, which has the same DPI as the brand new Xr is extremely noticeable. Comparatively, the screen doesn’t look good. My main phone is an iPhone X (458 DPI OLED) simply speaking, the huge DPI difference with the better display technologies makes the X a much better buy.

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018
Considering Apple takes cares of their older phones your in pretty good hands.

This will be supported you’ll see tomorrow when iOS 12 increases old phone speeds tremoundoudly more so on the older phones than the newer versions, going back to 5S! It’s more than by 50% performance boost on the older phones is what is being seen by beta testers. We’ll see.

So yeah, the X will easily be around 3-4 years from now.

thanks. i understand that X will get supported for many more years. I am still using my 5S. while it works fine, it can be painfully slow. My worry is the much slower neural engine will not run AR/AI apps smoothly (or at all) in future.

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2013
The 2017 X for sure. My wife and I swapped my X for her 7 plus so she could get used to it before my Xs Max came; I just couldnt do the screen density of the 7 plus. It felt old like I was looking at an old iPod screen.

Not that the 7 Plus is bad by any means, I just noticed a huge difference in the screen after using the X as my daily driver for near a year. What crazy is that the XR has slightly less PPI o_O No thanks.

Last edited:

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Sadly, the A12 isn't a whole lot faster than the A11. The scores were leaked on geekbench. It's around 200 points faster on the single core. About the same multi code. You're not going to notice that at all. Most of the speed improvements they boasted about during the keynote comes from iOS 12.

For some reason, scores of the XR was LESS than the X. I think it has been slightly underclocked.

Faster face ID is all software. I'm running iOS 12 GM and it's a lot faster than iOS 11.

The X wins in every way, except for actual screen real estate and battery life. That's the only two the XR has over the X. Still, I think I'd prefer a slightly smaller, higher res display and higher quality display than that.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Sadly, the A12 isn't a whole lot faster than the A11. The scores were leaked on geekbench. It's around 200 points faster on the single core. About the same multi code. You're not going to notice that at all. Most of the speed improvements they boasted about during the keynote comes from iOS 12.

For some reason, scores of the XR was LESS than the X. I think it has been slightly underclocked.

Faster face ID is all software. I'm running iOS 12 GM and it's a lot faster than iOS 11.

The X wins in every way, except for actual screen real estate and battery life. That's the only two the XR has over the X. Still, I think I'd prefer a slightly smaller, higher res display and higher quality display than that.

The A12 scores 30% faster than A11 in GPU benchmarks like AnTuTu.

GPU was one area Apple was lagging behind Qualcomm and they managed to catch up this round.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/18/...-xs-max-review-camera-processor-battery-price

I would not rush out to spend another $999 on the XS if you have an X, but if you’re already deep into a preorder, don’t worry: you will love the iPhone XS. It is indeed, more iPhone, and it will probably hold up for years to come. I definitely prefer the Pixel 2’s camera, but the iPhone XS isn’t that far behind, and it’s still a significant improvement over previous iPhones.

For everyone else, I think it’s worth waiting to see how the iPhone XR turns out before rushing in — it has the same processor and the same main camera for $750. The only major question is how good its 6.1-inch LCD will look in comparison to the OLED on the XS. But for that, we’ll just have to wait and see next month.

Reactions: m0sher
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.