Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you purchase a 2018 iPad Pro and found it bent?

• Total voters

JP913

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Orlando
Assuming people don't purposely spoil the vote, I am curious as to what the results will be.

This forum is a small sample size when you compare how many iPad’s have been sold around the world. Clearly, there’s an issue (or non-issue) with the LTE models. Does it matter to anyone else NOT on this (or other) forums? That’s hard to say.

Ultimately, a minority of users want absolute protection from Apple with absolutely no room for error, and they also happen to be the most vocal about it.

I think this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. But, then again, I have a 12.9 unbent WiFi-only iPad Pro, so I’m not the target audience!

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I voted 12.9” LTE bent because my initial purchased WAS bent (‘IS’ doesn’t apply because my new one isn’t bent). Mine was very obviously warped right out of the box with a bow on all 4 sides of the iPad and the middle of the iPad was flush with the camera bump and all 4 corners were therefore raised. Apple accepted my return and my second 12.9” LTE is not bent.
Even though it happened to me, I do think that that issue has been overblown with a very small number of iPads that have been delivered like this. Apple resolved my issue by acknowledging it and accepting the return.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
What does it mean to check?

Use a ruler, lay it on a flat surface etc.
[doublepost=1546097271][/doublepost]
This forum is a small sample size when you compare how many iPad’s have been sold around the world. Clearly, there’s an issue (or non-issue) with the LTE models. Does it matter to anyone else NOT on this (or other) forums? That’s hard to say.

Ultimately, a minority of users want absolute protection from Apple with absolutely no room for error, and they also happen to be the most vocal about it.

I think this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. But, then again, I have a 12.9 unbent WiFi-only iPad Pro, so I’m not the target audience!

I agree. I don’t think a poll here is an unbiased sampling, but I am still curious as to the results.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
So far it looks like the cellular versions are less common, but are either more prone to bending or their owners are more particular.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
So far it looks like the cellular versions are less common, but are either more prone to bending or their owners are more particular.
Going by the poll, about half of LTE models are bent, which is a lot. I hope this issue will get some reaction from Apple.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Well I have checked my 12.9” in the sense that I have eyeballed it and it looks fine, but I don’t think there is any need to go further than that.

Yeah there are a lot of variations on the bent theme - certainty, straight enough for me, didn't check etc. - not to mention the various sizes and configurations (Wifi/LTE). I went with what felt like a sufficiently representative set of options.

The Wifi variants seem largely unaffected so far, but for cellular it appears to be a roughly 50/50 split.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Very interesting results. It looks like the 11" LTE seems to be the most likely to have bending reported at a roughly 45% rate, whereas it's closer to 32% for the 12.9" LTE.

Wifi seems mostly unaffected - 0% of 11" Wifi have reports of bending, and only 6% of 12.9" Wifi has reports.

aYvYyyPhNa

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2015
I’ve been through two 11” LTE models and both were bent at the antenna line. I just ordered two more and hopefully getting one that isn’t bent.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Assuming people don't purposely spoil the vote, I am curious as to what the results will be.
Voted. WiFi, not bent. I checked. I thought it was bent for a second and freaked out lol. But still straight. I admit I’m going to be careful with this and will never place this in a bag. If I ever fly with it I’ll buy a sturdy case and hand carry by my side.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I can almost bet those that say they never checked in the poll, actually have. ;)
It depends on what you mean by checked (though I did vote that I checked). I have looked at, it looks fine, and that’s it. I haven’t gone out of my way to analyze it. If I don’t see anything,and it fits perfectly in the ASK folio, that’s all that matters.

Reactions: G5isAlive

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
I picked up a brand new 11” WiFi only today. I checked it out of the box and found it to be perfectly straight. I was concerned given the various bending reports. I have 30 days and will check periodically to see if any bending appears over time. Hopefully not as I am preferring this model over the 10.5”. It will be kept in a case.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Sample size is statistically insignificant. Zero conclusions can be derived from such small numbers.

On top of that the samples are coming from forum users only, which further reduce the poll to irrelevant.

Not to mention no set standard or test procedure. Leaving each person to decide for themselves, bent or not.

You would need random polling from thousands of various users worldwide to a set standard measuring procedure to even begin to glean any actual conclusions.

Sorry

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Ultimately, a minority of users want absolute protection from Apple with absolutely no room for error, and they also happen to be the most vocal about it.!

Not sure about absolute perfection, I just want something a little less bent than this.

190102-iPad.jpg

I don't think that's unreasonable for this very expensive item.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Not sure about absolute perfection, I just want something a little less bent than this.

190102-iPad.jpg

Nice how the reflection doubles the bent appearance. Was it like this out of the box? What did Apple store do when you brought it to their attention within two weeks? I wouldn’t be happy either. Definitely should get replacement. Check it before leaving store.

Reactions: Precursor

Tommy Hewitt

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013

190102-iPad.jpg

Nice how the reflection doubles the bent appearance. Was it like this out of the box? What did Apple store do when you brought it to their attention within two weeks? I wouldn’t be happy either. Definitely should get replacement. Check it before leaving store.

I highly doubt that it's come out of the box like this....

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I highly doubt that it's come out of the box like this....
Actually people have reported that it does. In fact Apple has stated that some do bend in manufacturing process as they cool. This looks way worse than really is. Reflection amplifies actual bend, doubling what it really is.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Sample size is statistically insignificant. Zero conclusions can be derived from such small numbers.

On top of that the samples are coming from forum users only, which further reduce the poll to irrelevant.

Not to mention no set standard or test procedure. Leaving each person to decide for themselves, bent or not.

You would need random polling from thousands of various users worldwide to a set standard measuring procedure to even begin to glean any actual conclusions.

Sorry
I don't agree at all. While the sample size is small, it is still significant that about half of LTE 11" models in the poll are bent. That's HUGE. Even if you assume that people with a bent iPad are more likely to do the poll, so that number would go down with a random sample, it does not go down to 0.1%. And about 75% who did the poll did not have a bent iPad, so it's not only people with a bent iPad doing the poll.

As for letting people decide themselves, one might assume that if people say they have a bent iPad, it's probably bent -- unless people delude themselves into seeing their iPad as bent. It's more likely that there are people who have a bent iPad and don't realize it (with the naked eye, mine doesn't look bent, but against a ruler it's clear it is).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.