Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you purchase a 2018 iPad Pro and found it bent?

• Total voters

Disconnect_00

Suspended
Jan 15, 2019
If one iPad is bent and that affects your decision to purchase one, I completely understand. But basing your decision solely off biased statistics representing a very small subset of Apple users seems extremely foolish to me. People come to forums for two reasons, because they have a problem or a complaint, or they're an enthusiast. This 21% you allege ignores the millions of people who don't come to the internet to exclaim how great their product is. Not to mention, the majority of forum members who have no issues at all, are likely to not vote in the poll in the first.

TLDR: Any poll posted on this site will not be representative of a larger experience and should not be used for anything other than anecdotal information.
This dude gets it.

Reactions: HEK

boxrick

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Manchester
My ipad pro has been in my bag a single time. That one time was enough to put a small bend in it. Nothing heavy was pushing it or against it. Other than that it has been sat next to my bed.

I've had loads of different Ipads over the years and this is the one I've been most careful with and it's the first that has bent.

Apple won't help me. In store or by phone. So now I'm stuck with a £700 bent tablet ={

threeonthetree

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2018
People just check for a bent iPad when they open the box, but it has been reported that a lot of these were not bent, and they became bent weeks or months later. By then, you cannot return the tablet anymore.

People should just wait for the next revision. This is not a cheap device, this is an extremely overpriced device that should not bend like this.

Juggar

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2016
Theres no way I can purchase an 11 inch cellular pro in good faith after doing research here. I simply can not roll those dice. I live nowhere near an apple store, or even Verizon store. A return would be a huge ordeal.

Not gonna spend $1699 on a 1TB top of the line tablet that might be bent out of box or at a later date where I would have no remedy.

Its a freaking joke, what the hell Apple....

Juggar

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2016
Why would you buy a 1TB Cellular iPad Pro in the first place?

I would buy a cellular iPad regardless (through Verizon), as im due for an upgrade now and out of warranty.

It does not matter the size (in GB), only that there is a bending issue that affects about half of cellular 11 inch ipads.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I would buy a cellular iPad regardless (through Verizon), as im due for an upgrade now and out of warranty.

It does not matter the size (in GB), only that there is a bending issue that affects about half of cellular 11 inch ipads.

If the size does not matter, then the $1699 figure you posted is also irrelevant. I understand the concern, but trying to frame it in the worst possible light is not helpful.

I definitely agree that you shouldn't buy a 2018 cellular iPad Pro if bending concerns you in any way, but it's not really that expensive. Not unless you choose to make it so - in which case you should get AppleCare+ regardless, insurance like any typical ultra-expensive purchase.

Juggar

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2016
If the size does not matter, then the $1699 figure you posted is also irrelevant.

Not really, they're all quite expensive. Any tablets costing $1000+ should not have these issues. Size does matter for some, I dont need 1 TB but I would like the increased RAM (to run multiple large apps at once). Also the resale value would be very good for that model which is something I consider.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Not really, they're all quite expensive. Any tablets costing $1000+ should not have these issues. Size does matter for some, I dont need 1 TB but I would like the increased RAM (to run multiple large apps at once). Also the resale value would be very good for that model which is something I consider.

They are definitely expensive, I agree. I think if you're getting cellular you shouldn't get a large capacity though (which is kind of the purpose of cellular) - a 11" @ 256GB is $1100, which I think suits most people - as a rule of thumb, Apple charges $50 per additional 64GB.

However for those worrying about bend issues, I'd strongly recommend the 256GB Wifi - you can get it for $800 when on sale e.g. - https://slickdeals.net/coupons/bh-photo-video/

I would also discourage getting the highest capacity model for resale value. This is a bad idea - memory prices decline over time, and in general you'll lose a lot less value with a mid-range model like 256GB.

Personally I haven't heard anyone reflect to me in real life about bend issues though, so it's not clear exactly how significant these bend issues are - this makes the contention that "costing $1000+ should not have these issue" a bit dubious, but if you obsess about these details (and there's nothing wrong if you do), then don't buy it.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I could be wrong, but I recall reading thread in here discussing the increased ram. It was needed to access the 1 TB memory and did not allow any increase in running multiple apps at once.

With that said, have the 12.9 Pro in 1 TB and no bending after well over 4 months of daily use. Love the 1 TB as it allows all my music, all my pictures and all my movies to be on the device. So much much less online streaming. So far loaded to 680 MB.

Great machine

Cant’t be too rich, too young or have too much onboard memory. At least I have one of those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.