Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Bear in mind that Apple doesn't replace the battery when you service your iPad, they swap the whole device with a refurbished unit. Battery service is around $120 (USD, more for iPad Pro) and you're receiving a new (to you) device with a new warranty for another year (plus other consumer protection in your region). I think Apple is a better route with the price being similar to your experience, but it depends on availability of course.
If it was an option here, I would 100% go for it. But they refuse every time. I've tried multiple stores.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
I have a 2020 IPP (12.9) and went to a M4 13. For me, it was a great upgrade. I had always said I would upgrade the 12.9 when there was landscape camera, extended screen support and desktop class browser. The M4 ticks 2 of those boxes (where as the m1/2’s only ticked 1 box). I do a LOT of video calls so the landscape camera is huge for me.

Aside from those feature, I also enjoy (features I use):
  • An amazing screen, best panel I have seen on any device
  • Increased battery life
  • Better document scanning (in low light) - which I actually do a fair bit
  • Less reloading of browser tabs
  • Full graphic resolution in the games I play (was not possible on the 12.9)
  • Better keyboard - function row is a real bonus
  • Better pencil - haptic feedback and rotate are nice
Yes it is insanely thin, but I keep mine on a MK most of the time and never ”struggled” with the 12.9. Speakers are fine (for me), I would not use any mobile device for as a high level audio device but this works fine for watching shows/sport.

Remember I use my iPad a lot - over 12 hours a day most days, as it’s my main device for work and personal time, plus, the kids use it. So my use case may not be the same as others but this is just to show why it is of value to me to upgrade.
When you list those upgrades, it sounds pretty tempting.... But how much i'd use or benefit from them in reality is another matter.

NVDA

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2024
Actually, I think the original post is correct. It certainly is when you trade in a car. You paid tax on that amount and the tax you paid on the old car partially offsets the tax on the new one--meaning that you pay tax only on the net amount you paid for the car (AFTER trade).
In California, sales tax is on the full retail price. The majority of states do this.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
If you live near an Apple Store, do the trade-in there and you will get the full estimate. If you send in, the iPad is sent to a third party company who has a long history of scamming people out of their estimate value.
Another question regarding store trade-ins, sorry. Do you know if i can trade in my iPad for that £270 estimate without buying a new one, e.g. for an Apple gift card that i can use for the iPhone 16? I ask as ideally i'd like to have both my iPads at the same time in case i suffer from OLED PWM headaches, etc. If I do an immediate swap in store i lose my 2018 iPP and can't get it back...

NVDA

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2024
Another question regarding store trade-ins, sorry. Do you know if i can trade in my iPad for that £270 estimate without buying a new one, e.g. for an Apple gift card that i can use for the iPhone 16? I ask as ideally i'd like to have both my iPads at the same time in case i suffer from OLED PWM headaches, etc. If I do an immediate swap in store i lose my 2018 iPP and can't get it back...
Yes

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
You can trade-in and use the gift card at any time in the future.

mansplains

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2021
If it was an option here, I would 100% go for it. But they refuse every time. I've tried multiple stores.
Find a 24/7 livestream and run it side-by-side with a battery intense game, forcing the battery below 80% 😂

• Haha
Reactions: gusping

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Bear in mind that Apple doesn't replace the battery when you service your iPad, they swap the whole device with a refurbished unit. Battery service is around $120 (USD, more for iPad Pro) and you're receiving a new (to you) device with a new warranty for another year (plus other consumer protection in your region). I think Apple is a better route with the price being similar to your experience, but it depends on availability of course.
Where I leave the warranty on swapped devices through battery service is only 3 months, contrary to normal refurbished units. Are you sure that in the US it's 1 year?

Star-fire

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Yes I did, battery was getting weak and I told myself quite a while ago when the iPad went OLED I would upgrade. Used the trade in value on the new 13 M4.

mansplains

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2021
Where I leave the warranty on swapped devices through battery service is only 3 months, contrary to normal refurbished units. Are you sure that in the US it's 1 year?
You know, I'm actually not certain. After looking into this further, I couldn't find an explicit statement from Apple, aside from the 90 days you're referencing. Because refurbished devices sold by Apple come with a 1 year limited warranty, and a repair is swapping for such a device, I assumed it was the same. It's been a while since my AASP days, so I can't remember what the terms were then, which may have given me the wrong impression. Now I'm curious!

Reactions: Digitalguy

heathpitts

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
My 2018 11 finally started showing its age with battery and reloading on image heavy websites. Easily the most bang for the buck ive ever had for a piece of technology. I use my iPad most of the day and it never failed me. Even got $235 trade in on a new iPad Pro 13 with 1 TB. Couldn’t be happier

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Nope, I barely use my iPad these days. Keeping it until it loses support.
I barely used my 2018 Pro but I’ve been on my M4 Pro every day for more than too long, since launch.

The lightness is a game changer.

It’s by far the best device in the world for using the internet, shopping, watching video content and reading the news.

Reactions: Digitalguy

NVDA

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2024
I barely used my 2018 Pro but I’ve been on my M4 Pro every day for more than too long, since launch.

It’s by far the best device in the world for using the internet, shopping, watching video content and reading the news.
There’s a 0.05 lb difference, I’m no body builder but when I hold them side by side the weight difference is negligible and barely noticeable. As for your use case I would suggest a basic iPad unless your post was /s

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
2018 11” iPad Pro traded in now I have the 2024 iPad Pro M4 13” 1TB WiFi+Cellular. I love it. It’s my main computer that I take with me now. I have a MBP 16” M1 Pro that I’m using as a desktop pretty much at home when necessary. Mac Studio M2 Ultra is my work computer. iPadOS sucks compared to MacOS, but when I stopped comparing it and use it for what it is and its own capabilities I’ve enjoyed the device much more and its awesome, not going back.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Hi all,

I have a 2018 12.9in iPad Pro and can't decide on whether to upgrade to the M4 13in Pro.

The main issue with my current iPad is the subpar battery, which cannot be replaced by Apple (they claim battery health is >80% when it clearly isn't). It isn't unusable however, and is still fast enough. The new M4 iPad doesn't have many features that immediately draw me in. I can take or leave the screen, for example. Stage manager would be useful once or twice a year when i visit my parents, but that's it. I was hoping Apple would announce more features at WWDC but it was not to be... There is also a question mark on whether 8GB RAM will be sufficient in 3-4 years time and i'm not paying nearly £2000 for 16GB.

My main quandary is whether I sell my 2018 iPad and get a decent amount for it (c.£250) or keep it for another 18-24 months and risk it being worth virtually nothing on the second hand market. If the latter, then the total cost of change would be the same whether i buy the new M4 iPad now or in two years. In addition, if I keep it longer I risk it severely slowing down before the M5 iPad is released, which could be 2 years away.

How have you found the new M4 iPad Pro versus your old 2018 iPad Pro? Has it been a a reasonable step forward or a nice to have upgrade?

Thanks in advance.
While I know the M4 is a fair bit faster then the M1, when I use my wife's 2018 12.9, I can't really tell much difference in speed for most tasks. I guess you need to evaluate what you want and need. My wife still edits most of her photos with her 6 year old iPad Pro. And it doesn't break a sweat. The A12X was truly ahead. And every iPad since has been. Even the design hasn't changed in 6 years, and there's no reason to change it.

Reactions: gusping and ratspg

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

‘Game Changer’ ! That’s funny... I hardly found the 12.9 M2 Pro ’heavy’, even with the folio case.

Reactions: ratspg

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2022
This is incorrect. You always owe tax on the full amount, no matter if you already have the gift card or are doing the trade in.
Not true. Go trade it in and see whether you’re buying a car or an iPad you only owe tax on the difference! The trade in amount means your tax liability is reduced.

Accounting God here.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Not true. Go trade it in and see whether you’re buying a car or an iPad you only owe tax on the difference! The trade in amount means your tax liability is reduced.

Accounting God here.

I think this varies by state.

In California, gift cards are considered same as cash payments. They’re not a direct discount so if Apple gives you a gift card instead of a straight up trade-in discount, you still need to pay tax on the full amount (plus environmental fee).

Mind, for phones, you need to pay sales tax on the full amount in CA regardless of trade-in discount.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2022
I think this varies by state.

In California, gift cards are considered same as cash payments. They’re not a direct discount so if Apple gives you a gift card instead of a straight up trade-in discount, you still need to pay tax on the full amount (plus environmental fee).

Mind, for phones, you need to pay sales tax on the full amount in CA regardless of trade-in discount.
Possible for sure. California is one of the few states likely to stick it to anyone and everyone.

Several states I have lived in are not that way. Even bad tax states usually would allow the trade to reduce the tax load.

Just copied this here online and pasting...

There are three states where a trade-in can’t be used to reduce sales tax at all:

• California
  • Hawaii
  • Virginia

Cheers

theXid

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2023
Mine is still good as new. My main reason to want a new one is external monitor support.

I could get an Air, but that still feels like an awful downgrade. I've been searching for new M1 or M2 Pro models so I could replace my iPad without having to spend money on a new pencil, too. But unfortunately, I can't find any that are much cheaper than the M4. Leaves me pretty tempted to just buy the new one.

Funny Apple Man

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2022

Glad to hear you're enjoying the M4 iPad Pro. The upgrades are very nice when coming from the 2018 version.

My 2018 may not be the best but it still can do internet, Youtube, and note taking very well. I'm not in a rush to upgrade.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2020
Mine is still good as new. My main reason to want a new one is external monitor support.

I could get an Air, but that still feels like an awful downgrade. I've been searching for new M1 or M2 Pro models so I could replace my iPad without having to spend money on a new pencil, too. But unfortunately, I can't find any that are much cheaper than the M4. Leaves me pretty tempted to just buy the new one.
Extended screen support was one of my main requirements and it is very good. Problem is it makes my monitor look a washed out now!! I don’t have much room on my desk but I use it so much it has got me wondering how I can modify my set up, maybe a wireless keyboard so I can just move it out of the way easily.

IMG_1551.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.