Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Switched to the 11” M4 from my 11” 2018 and already forgotten about the screen, yes it’s nice but it’s not night and day difference.
In many instances that is the case, but if you're watching 4k UHD content the difference is drastic.

Reactions: h2ofun

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
I took a different approach. My 2018 iPP became unusable due to a hardware issue. After considering all of the alternatives, including an M4, I bought a lightly used 2022 M2 iPP 12.9” from a 3rd party reseller. For me it hit the sweet spot of capability and affordability. I expect it to last me a good while.

Reactions: Macdctr

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
When I’m sat outside on a sunny day, the brightness of the M4 is so, so much better then the 2018 Pro. Another game changer.

I love sitting outside to read the news.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I had a 2020 12.9” iPad Pro 512GB cellular and upgraded to a 2024 M4 13” 1TB cellular with the matte screen and I’m really enjoying it.

It’s so thin and light for a device of its size. The OLED screen is marvelous. The 5G is amazing especially when you’re in 5G+ range you’ll get 1 gig speeds or more. It is lightening fast for anything you throw at it.

It almost reminds me when I went from my iPad 4 to the new Air 2 back in the day. It’s a bigger jump than you might think even though the 2020 is still a very capable device you’ll start to appreciate the M4 the more you use it!

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2017
I want to. My 2018 iPad Pro has finally started to show its age, BUT Apple getting rid of the Smart Keyboard Folio has proven to be a huge barrier for me. It’s my iPad keyboard of choice. So, I probably won’t be getting another iPad unless Apple brings back that accessory.
So, I took my toddler to my local Best Buy today. She’s gonna love tech as much as I do, and she’s not even two yet. Anyways, we went so she could walk around and burn that final bit of energy before her nap. Being led around Best Buy by my finger, we eventually found ourselves at the Apple section of the store and I finally got hands on with the M4 iPad. The screen is absolutely gorgeous, and the responsiveness compared to my 2018 iPad Pro is in another league. I’m seriously tempted now, but getting over the discontinuation of my preferred keyboard is still a big hurdle. I’ll update if I decide to pull the trigger.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Yes, I made the move from the first gen iPad to the M4 Pro. While the apps I use perform similarly, it was time for a new model.

The display is better, the unit is lighter, I will be able to utilize new developments, and my daily use warranted the expense.

I also picked up the Logi Combo touch, which I really like.

I use the iPad mostly for content consumption, but also for light work on the go, such as document review, email, and several work apps.

I am not totally sold on the battery life, but the 2018 was definitely degrading.

Totally satisfied with my purchase, I did downgrade storage from 512 to 256, as I never used all the space on my 2018. I stayed with cellular, which I love having.

R

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Another brief update following using the iPad this weekend.

I watched today's F1 race on the iPad to see how bad i'd feel afterwards, lol. The answer, not awful but not great, so i guess i'm only mildly PWM sensitive. Maybe i've got used it slightly after the first day. I'm also not convinced the battery is as good as back when my 2018 iPP was new but it's hard to tell.

I am glad I tried the M4 iPad, but I will be returning it. It's a beautiful device from a hardware perspective, but £1,300 is a lot of money for something that hasn't moved on since 2018 in many ways. Maybe by the time the next iPad Pro is out, the iPad Air will have promotion and Face ID, and I can buy that instead (i wish).

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Another brief update following using the iPad this weekend.

I watched today's F1 race on the iPad to see how bad i'd feel afterwards, lol. The answer, not awful but not great, so i guess i'm only mildly PWM sensitive. Maybe i've got used it slightly after the first day. I'm also not convinced the battery is as good as back when my 2018 iPP was new but it's hard to tell.

I am glad I tried the M4 iPad, but I will be returning it. It's a beautiful device from a hardware perspective, but £1,300 is a lot of money for something that hasn't moved on since 2018 in many ways. Maybe by the time the next iPad Pro is out, the iPad Air will have promotion and Face ID, and I can buy that instead (i wish).
To be fair, I didn’t think you were gonna keep the M4 iPad based on the “When will the new iPad Pro be released” thread awhile back.

You seemed very negative on the iPad Pro in general, if it’s one thing.. it’s another lol. Not sure if you have a MacBook, but perhaps… buying a MBA to replace the iPad Pro is likely better for you.

Reactions: gusping

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
To be fair, I didn’t think you were gonna keep the M4 iPad based on the “When will the new iPad Pro be released” thread awhile back.

You seemed very negative on the iPad Pro in general, if it’s one thing.. it’s another lol. Not sure if you have a MacBook, but perhaps… buying a MBA to replace the iPad Pro is likely better for you.
I was swayed into trying it buy the new hardware, and the fact that trading in my old iPP via Apple would avoid the hassle of selling it privately. Any opportunity to avoid eBay is good in my books. If i didn’t have an issues with the screen there is a good chance I would have kept it, despite it being a minor upgrade to me.

I currently have Mac mini and have had many fleeting thoughts of buying a MBA. Especially considering the are £1000 on Amazon/Costco. But I like the touch screen of the iPad for casual use and the MBA cannot do some simple things like download netflix films for plane journeys etc.

Maybe I should just take the plunge and see how I get on…. 🤔

Last edited:

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
I’m totally obsessed with my M4 11” 😆

Like obsessed. I’ve never used an iPad this much before. My old Pro from 2018 got some good use, maybe 30 mins a day, but this beauty is dominating everything.

I don’t know why, specifically. Maybe that extra lightness, maybe the gorgeous display, the snappiness….not sure, but I carry it around the house everywhere almost.

Got into so much more content on YouTube because of this. Almost in a waste of my time annoying way!

Carrying it around in portrait or full screen landscape, room to room, into the kitchen, placing it down, having some food, picking it up, take it outside, read some news, brightness is amazing, everything just works so well.

It’s my go-to home device, beating my iPhone, Mac and even putting aside my PS5 and Steam Deck to collect dust.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I was swayed into trying it buy the new hardware, and the fact that trading in my old iPP via Apple would avoid the hassle of selling it privately. Any opportunity to avoid eBay is good in my books. If i didn’t have an issues with the screen there is a good chance I would have kept it, despite it being a minor upgrade to me.

I currently have Mac mini and have had many fleeting thoughts of buying a MBA. Especially considering the are £1000 on Amazon/Costco. But I like the touch screen of the iPad for casual use and the MBA cannot do some simple things like download netflix films for plane journeys etc.

Maybe I should just take the plunge and see how I get on…. 🤔
I don’t know, but as I stated... being overcritical of the iPad can lead to uncovering anything to dissuade in keeping it.

And I understand you wanted to try it out… see how well you like it, I get it. But if you want to use an iPad to download Netflix films… why not go with a base iPad (or iPad Air)? Clearly you not too fond of iPadOS… why seek the Pro models if it doesn’t suit you.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2020
I’m totally obsessed with my M4 11” 😆

Like obsessed. I’ve never used an iPad this much before. My old Pro from 2018 got some good use, maybe 30 mins a day, but this beauty is dominating everything.

I don’t know why, specifically. Maybe that extra lightness, maybe the gorgeous display, the snappiness….not sure, but I carry it around the house everywhere almost.

Got into so much more content on YouTube because of this. Almost in a waste of my time annoying way!

Carrying it around in portrait or full screen landscape, room to room, into the kitchen, placing it down, having some food, picking it up, take it outside, read some news, brightness is amazing, everything just works so well.

It’s my go-to home device, beating my iPhone, Mac and even putting aside my PS5 and Steam Deck to collect dust.
Connect your PS5 controller to it and try some CODM or Warzone 👍

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
I upgraded from a 1tb celluar 2018 iPad Pro. The battery really wasn’t holding any more. I didn’t need 1tb and I hardly ever used cellular so I kind of downgraded to just the base 256Gb model 13’ honestly I can’t really tell the difference. Yes if I was watching ultra high definition HDR probably but most of the time I’m not I’m not like wow the screen is amazing compared with what I had before apps don’t really appear to open any faster, in fact there doesn’t seem to be a lot of difference at all. Honestly, I really wouldn’t know in a blind test which iPad I was using probably tbh.

NVDA

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2024
I upgraded from a 1tb celluar 2018 iPad Pro. The battery really wasn’t holding any more. I didn’t need 1tb and I hardly ever used cellular so I kind of downgraded to just the base 256Gb model 13’ honestly I can’t really tell the difference. Yes if I was watching ultra high definition HDR probably but most of the time I’m not I’m not like wow the screen is amazing compared with what I had before apps don’t really appear to open any faster, in fact there doesn’t seem to be a lot of difference at all. Honestly, I really wouldn’t know in a blind test which iPad I was using probably tbh.
I did a bunch of side by side comparisons with my 2018 iPad Pro and the 11 inch M4. Could barely tell a difference between the two. Yes the OLED has deeper blacks but even HDR 4K content looks amazing on the 6 year old device, hard to tell a difference even with the brightness difference. M4 speakers were a lot worse. Returned the M4 and got the M2 Pro for $400 less. Got $235 from Apple for my 2018 that'll go towards my next phone.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2020
I did a bunch of side by side comparisons with my 2018 iPad Pro and the 11 inch M4. Could barely tell a difference between the two. Yes the OLED has deeper blacks but even HDR 4K content looks amazing on the 6 year old device, hard to tell a difference even with the brightness difference. M4 speakers were a lot worse. Returned the M4 and got the M2 Pro for $400 less. Got $235 from Apple for my 2018 that'll go towards my next phone.
I am amazed at that. The dual OLED is industry recognised as the best panel of any device on the market (including reference monitors) if you cannot (or barely) tell the difference I think that says more about your eyes or bias, than the panel. How can you barely tell the difference between 600 v 1600 nits???

Don’t get me wrong, I understand if screen quality is not a driving factor of your requirements, as the speakers are not a driving requirement for me, but to dismiss the screen as equal quality to the older tech is incredible.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
I don’t know, but as I stated... being overcritical of the iPad can lead to uncovering anything to dissuade in keeping it.

And I understand you wanted to try it out… see how well you like it, I get it. But if you want to use an iPad to download Netflix films… why not go with a base iPad (or iPad Air)? Clearly you not too fond of iPadOS… why seek the Pro models if it doesn’t suit you.
I bought it on the back of the better than expected trade-in offer, well knowing that iPad OS is still iPad OS. The little extras on the Pro are essential to me, including Face ID and particularly promotion. I also like the bigger screen, which the Air now has at least.

Anyway, I will hold off for now and see what comes down the line. As you initially suggested, maybe testing a MBA will cover most of the iPad uses, even if it is better in some areas and worse in others.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
I am amazed at that. The dual OLED is industry recognised as the best panel of any device on the market (including reference monitors) if you cannot (or barely) tell the difference I think that says more about your eyes or bias, than the panel. How can you barely tell the difference between 600 v 1600 nits???

Don’t get me wrong, I understand if screen quality is not a driving factor of your requirements, as the speakers are not a driving requirement for me, but to dismiss the screen as equal quality to the older tech is incredible.
It's a great screen but i believe some people have such high expectations and think it will be otherworldly. Unless you are watching amazing HDR content all the time, it isn't going to change your life.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It's a great screen but i believe some people have such high expectations and think it will be otherworldly. Unless you are watching amazing HDR content all the time, it isn't going to change your life.
But it's not about having high expectations... the post was confused that they could not tell the difference between 600 vs 1600 nits. That's strange, don't you think?

Anyway, I will hold off for now and see what comes down the line. As you initially suggested, maybe testing a MBA will cover most of the iPad uses, even if it is better in some areas and worse in others.
Yeah, that would be my advice.... pivot away from the iPad lol.

Reactions: gusping

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

Yeah I agree. I've been looking at my 2018 IPP since launch and I was blown away when I viewed 4K UHD content on my new IPP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.