Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

13 for portability or 15 for power

• 13 inch

Votes: 41 54.7%
  • 15 inch

Votes: 34 45.3%

• Total voters

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Don’t forget that with this years update you’re getting quad core in a 13” laptop which I think is impressive, I’m not sure if that makes it a match for last years 15” (you would have to ask someone who knows more about specs).

The 13” should be able to manage most people’s workload, however if you want more screen and gaming is a big deal to you then get the 15” which has a 6 core processor.

Personally I like the compact look of the 13” MacBook Pro and it may very well be the one I get later this year (I’m waiting until Apple update the 12” MacBook before making my decision).

Henry-orange

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2018
How do people find using the 15” on their laps? Is it a bit uncomfortable after a while (in terms of weight/size rather than heat)?

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
Don’t forget that with this years update you’re getting quad core in a 13” laptop which I think is impressive, I’m not sure if that makes it a match for last years 15” (you would have to ask someone who knows more about specs).

The 13” should be able to manage most people’s workload, however if you want more screen and gaming is a big deal to you then get the 15” which has a 6 core processor.

Personally I like the compact look of the 13” MacBook Pro and it may very well be the one I get later this year (I’m waiting until Apple update the 12” MacBook before making my decision).
I don't have one to compare, but as far as what I'm reading and seeing as far as reviews go, the new quad-core 13" machines are coming darn close to previous quad-core 15" MacBook Pro machines. This is extremely impressive given the difference in TDP; a Coffee Lake 28 watt CPU is almost matching the performance of a 45 watt Kaby Lake chip.
[doublepost=1533479219][/doublepost]
How do people find using the 15” on their laps? Is it a bit uncomfortable after a while (in terms of weight/size rather than heat)?
I don't have a problem with the size or heat of my 15" when used on my lap, but I don't often do this... I am concerned (perhaps irrationally so) about sucking dust into the cooling system and ruining heat dissipation efficiency in the future. This is what I really love about my wife's 13" - the fans do not run under lite loads, so no concern for sucking in dust when using as a true laptop. Very cool (literally).

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I don't have one to compare, but as far as what I'm reading and seeing as far as reviews go, the new quad-core 13" machines are coming darn close to previous quad-core 15" MacBook Pro machines. This is extremely impressive given the difference in TDP; a Coffee Lake 28 watt CPU is almost matching the performance of a 45 watt Kaby Lake chip.

I can't confess to know much about specs but for most people i would think that would be more than enough, add 16GB Ram and it will be a fine machine in a small form factor (13")

I think that would be more than capable of editing in 4K, photoshop work and most other pro applications that are used. Not sure about gaming since the most i play are things like the Sims, Prison Architect and so on (hardly top spec games) and that's only about once to twice a month at most.
[doublepost=1533481924][/doublepost]I just looked on Geekbench and these are the scores for the 13" compared to last year's 15" if they are accurate then the 13" is VERY impressive and i'm sure the OP would be happy with getting the 13" MacBook Pro 2018.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 15.34.38.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 15.34.38.png
    92.7 KB · Views: 217
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 15.34.48.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 15.34.48.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 222
Reactions: Patcell

J-wor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2018
If gaming is a priority, you’re going to be disappointed with either, but less so with the 15”, obviously.

Not a priority, but I do play some stuff (nothing that demanding) like civ and indie games.

J-wor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2018

I do like the quad-core, and the CPU and ram on the 13” are enough for me, it is mainly the differences in the graphics of the two. If I was going to keep this computer for a couple years, then I wouldn't be as concerned, but I'm going to be using this computer for the next 5+ years, so I'm not sure how well the internal GPU will hold up after 5 years compared to the dedicated GPU in the 15".

[doublepost=1533485329][/doublepost]
Maybe I overlooked it, but what are you going to study? Depending on your major, one or the other might be preferable.

Music. So how well it can run music related apps is what's most important. If the 13" can run logic pro X with high track counts, and lots of effects/plugins with out slowing down then that would be ideal. Same goes for using it with pro tools.

Last edited:

J-wor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2018
Also, does anyone have any experience using bootcamp on these computers and if so how does it run on them?

J-wor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2018
I’ve decided to go with the species out 13”, except for the ssd, due to the smaller size, which is something I value. After trying both in the store I didn’t feel the smaller screen was that limiting. I’m going to try the 13” out for a week or so and exchange for the 15”, base model, if I am not satisfied with the 13”. Thanks everyone for their responses.

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
I’ve decided to go with the species out 13”, except for the ssd, due to the smaller size, which is something I value. After trying both in the store I didn’t feel the smaller screen was that limiting. I’m going to try the 13” out for a week or so and exchange for the 15”, base model, if I am not satisfied with the 13”. Thanks everyone for their responses.

From this statement alone, you have already convinced yourself your going to go to the 15" eventually. Why waste your time on the 13". Listen to someone like me who used both sizes side by side for a few days. You will ultimately get remorse that you paid so much for a machine with a 13" screen just for its portability. Its like buying a 50" tv vs a 60" because you either didnt want to spend the extra couple hundred dollars or thought the 60" would be just a bit too large. At the end of the day your settling for an inferior product because you are valuing size over pure performance and lasting power. Based on your use case you would greatly benefit from having a dedicated GPU. Even though the quad core 13" is comparable to last years quad core 15" thats not what the discussion is about. Those are last gen systems and the 8th gen systems are the biggest jump we have seen since 2010-2011 so merely matching a 7th gen system would be a compromise on your behalf when you have the 15" available to you with a 8th gen 6 core cpu that will last you much longer than the quad core.

Reactions: jmoore5196

buran-energia

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2017
This is what I really love about my wife's 13" - the fans do not run under lite loads

Which gen and what cpu?

My 2015 13 i5 would rarely use fans when browsing with Safari (excluding youtube). But this 2017 TB i7 seems to use the fans more often than not during the same browsing tasks. Once the fans start to spin, they don't seem to turn off (not that you hear them at this level). I wonder if it's because I have it plugged in (not charging; nothing else plugged in) or because of the i7 (3.5 base, 4.0 turbo) or it's designed like that.

J-wor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2018
From this statement alone, you have already convinced yourself your going to go to the 15" eventually. Why waste your time on the 13". Listen to someone like me who used both sizes side by side for a few days. You will ultimately get remorse that you paid so much for a machine with a 13" screen just for its portability. Its like buying a 50" tv vs a 60" because you either didnt want to spend the extra couple hundred dollars or thought the 60" would be just a bit too large. At the end of the day your settling for an inferior product because you are valuing size over pure performance and lasting power. Based on your use case you would greatly benefit from having a dedicated GPU. Even though the quad core 13" is comparable to last years quad core 15" thats not what the discussion is about. Those are last gen systems and the 8th gen systems are the biggest jump we have seen since 2010-2011 so merely matching a 7th gen system would be a compromise on your behalf when you have the 15" available to you with a 8th gen 6 core cpu that will last you much longer than the quad core.

I like the 13” much more from what I’ve experienced from using it in the store. I’m going to use it and I’m not sure exactly how it will deal with my workload, it should be more than enough, but if it can’t deliver I will move up to the larger computer. I can’t put the laptop through my entire workflow in the store, but from what I have tried it is fine. Also since Apple allows the laptop to be returned/exchanged I can do that if it doesn’t work. I much prefer the 13”, especially in size. The 15” is an option that I can have if the 13” doesn’t work out. I’m not planning on returning the 13”.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
Which gen and what cpu?

My 2015 13 i5 would rarely use fans when browsing with Safari (excluding youtube). But this 2017 TB i7 seems to use the fans more often than not during the same browsing tasks. Once the fans start to spin, they don't seem to turn off (not that you hear them at this level). I wonder if it's because I have it plugged in (not charging; nothing else plugged in) or because of the i7 (3.5 base, 4.0 turbo) or it's designed like that.
She has the 2017 TB with the base 3.5Ghz i5. In my experience with it, the fans almost never run when browsing. I’ll test some more, but it seems to let the CPU temp reach around 70C before the fans kick on at minimum speed. But you are correct, once the fans kick on they don’t seem to turn off until you put the machine to sleep or restart.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Go with 15”, it’s more than portable enough. I pulled out my 2011 17” tonight and was in awe about how that size and how it used to be my “go to” . I would haul it around everywhere all day long.

Both the 13” and 15” are a marvel by comparison :)

J-wor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2018
Go with 15”, it’s more than portable enough. I pulled out my 2011 17” tonight and was in awe about how that size and how it used to be my “go to” . I would haul it around everywhere all day long.

Both the 13” and 15” are a marvel by comparison :)

I have a 17” gaming laptop at the moment so both MacBooks seem way smaller in comparison, but based on how I’m going to be using this computer, traveling a lot and doing a lot of commuting in NYC every day, and based on trying both out a lot in the store, the 13” just feels so much nicer and the smaller screen was not a problem for me. However if the 13” doesn’t work out, apple will let me exchange it anyway so I’m just going to try and see how the 13” works out and if it is the right size for my routine or not.

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I have a 17” gaming laptop at the moment so both MacBooks seem way smaller in comparison, but based on how I’m going to be using this computer, traveling a lot and doing a lot of commuting in NYC every day, and based on trying both out a lot in the store, the 13” just feels so much nicer and the smaller screen was not a problem for me. However if the 13” doesn’t work out, apple will let me exchange it anyway so I’m just going to try and see how the 13” works out and if it is the right size for my routine or not.

Hopefully you will be able to tell in 14 days. I wasn’t. I fell in love with a 13”, brought it home, fed it, cared for it, nurtured it. But in the end we grew apart and I left her for a 15”

My wife then had a fling with her (nothing wrong with that) but she broke my wife’s heart too and she is likewise now in a relationship with a 15”

But I can see with your travel and commuting that a 13” may be the right choice for you

Edit: Poor 13, she is getting shipped of to Sell Your Mac this week. Hoping she finds a loving home :)

Reactions: J-wor

J-wor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2018
Hopefully you will be able to tell in 14 days. I wasn’t. I fell in love with a 13”, brought it home, fed it, cared for it, nurtured it. But in the end we grew apart and I left her for a 15”

My wife then had a fling with her (nothing wrong with that) but she broke my wife’s heart too and she is likewise now in a relationship with a 15”

But I can see with your travel and commuting that a 13” may be the right choice for you

Edit: Poor 13, she is getting shipped of to Sell Your Mac this week. Hoping she finds a loving home :)

Hopefully it proves it self to be worth the lower spec in favor a the nicer form, not that the specs are insufficient, just not on par with the 15”.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Hopefully it proves it self to be worth the lower spec in favor a the nicer form, not that the specs are insufficient, just not on par with the 15”.

I think you will be fine there as long as the form factor works for you. But that’s something you should be able to figure out within 14 days, as long as you put it through the paces you normally would week in and week out. I wish Apples return was a little longer. Many manufacturers do 30, but it is what it is :)

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016

The 15” is a power house that’s for sure. I have a 2015 13” and love the small form factor. The 2018 is substantially smaller too. I think I’d be picking up the new 13” quad core if I was buying today. Hope you have fun with it. I don’t think you can really go wrong with either though, these days.

J-wor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2018
People... the 15 inch IS PORTABLE! Folks act like it's a damn iMac! LOL

I know it is. The 13” is just more so and the difference to me is significant to warrant the smaller model. I would be able to get around with the 15” too. I just prefer the 13” because it has what I need so I will take the smaller form if I can because I like that.

Reactions: MadDane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.