Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

13 for portability or 15 for power

• 13 inch

Votes: 41 54.7%
  • 15 inch

Votes: 34 45.3%

• Total voters

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
In the 1980’s Apple was selling this as portable :)

05e68c5202f1945e5ffd1809922721a7.jpg

Anyone got the intel power gadget profile for this beast?

Reactions: SDColorado

buran-energia

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2017
My wife then had a fling with her (nothing wrong with that) but she broke my wife’s heart too and she is likewise now in a relationship with a 15”

Do you and your wife use it on your lap while sitting or lying in bed a lot, or are they mostly on the desk? I wonder if it's just as comfortable in comparison to 13, whether it heats more and whether you can hear the fans during light work or when watching Youtube.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Do you and your wife use it on your lap while sitting or lying in bed a lot, or are they mostly on the desk? I wonder if it's just as comfortable in comparison to 13, whether it heats more and whether you can hear the fans during light work or when watching Youtube.

Sitting on my lap, yes all the time. I think the 15" props in your lab better than the 13". Heck, I used to use the 17" in my lap all the time before downsizing. In bed, not so much.

Neither the 13 or the 15 is a fanless design, for light work you shouldn't hear either, for YouTube you may. Not much difference between them as far as size goes. The 13" can be just and noisy when the fans spin up.

If you want something fanless and silent, the i5 Surface Pro is a good option. The fanless design is quiet.

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
Sitting on my lap, yes all the time. I think the 15" props in your lab better than the 13". Heck, I used to use the 17" in my lap all the time before downsizing. In bed, not so much.

Neither the 13 or the 15 is a fanless design, for light work you shouldn't hear either, for YouTube you may. Not much difference between them as far as size goes. The 13" can be just and noisy when the fans spin up.

If you want something fanless and silent, the i5 Surface Pro is a good option. The fanless design is quiet.

This is correct. My 13 was a bit of a pain to lap. Since its not as wide you have to keep your legs uncomfortably closer together at all times. with the 15 you can spread them out a bit more and if your like me and sit with one leg resting on the opposite knee, creating a hole in the middle, that gap would not allow the 13 to sit comfortably but the 15 would close that gap. Small things but im sure im not the only one. The 15 is still one of the most portable 15s you can buy on the market. Just a couple years ago a 4 pound machine was still a 13 inch for most cases.

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
This is correct. My 13 was a bit of a pain to lap. Since its not as wide you have to keep your legs uncomfortably closer together at all times. with the 15 you can spread them out a bit more and if your like me and sit with one leg resting on the opposite knee, creating a hole in the middle, that gap would not allow the 13 to sit comfortably but the 15 would close that gap. Small things but im sure im not the only one. The 15 is still one of the most portable 15s you can buy on the market. Just a couple years ago a 4 pound machine was still a 13 inch for most cases.

The 4lb threshold still is kind of rarified air I think for 15" laptops. I don't think there are many out there, particularly that make use of metal bodies vs plastics. There are a few, but I believe mostly still a minority.

I sit like you do and the 13" was always uncomfortably propped and trying to slip off center from one side to the other. I always found the best use for it was on the arm of my chair or couch in the living room, but only works if you have one with a wide arm and the right height. Mine works out really well, but the 15" perches just as easily.

The 17" I used to carry around all the time was twice as thick and nearly 7lbs. To me, either of the current models is extremely portable and its more down to which form factor works than weight, unless your backpacking with it...

Reactions: dannyar

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
I’ve decided to go with the species out 13”, except for the ssd, due to the smaller size, which is something I value. After trying both in the store I didn’t feel the smaller screen was that limiting. I’m going to try the 13” out for a week or so and exchange for the 15”, base model, if I am not satisfied with the 13”. Thanks everyone for their responses.

Hey OP, wondering how did it went with the 13", have you stayed with it or returned and with the 15" at the end?

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
For me it boils down to your travel, if you fly or ride a train often I would go with 13".
Otherwise as main computer 15" would be good and maybe last you a little longer due to the higher specs...

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I have both. I have a 13" 2016 TB base purchased close to launch for $1700, Just Purchased a 2017 15" 512GB 560 4GB GPU for $2099. Both from B&H. ENJOY them both and the 15" definitely feels worth the extra $400. After having them both at the same time, and it was only one to keep. 15" Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

Reactions: Patcell

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
I have both. I have a 13" 2016 TB base purchased close to launch for $1700, Just Purchased a 2017 15" 512GB 560 4GB GPU for $2099. Both from B&H. ENJOY them both and the 15" definitely feels worth the extra $400. After having them both at the same time, and it was only one to keep. 15" Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

I notice this a lot. when having both the 15" and the 13" at home - most people end up going with the 15". the screen real estate is hard to beat.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
IMO I’d go with the 15 inch. They really are portable and the extra screen space is invaluable if you have applications with a number of separate menues.

I St.ii have the 15" but it’s in storage. Works fine but I did. Real one of the hinges as it got dropped on a hard tile floor going though security at an airport.

I’ve had a 12" IceBook which I loved the form factor on but eventually moved ask to a desktop (iMac 27") for larger work and the number of pallets I needed open. However I also currently keep a MB Pro, 13" on my desk for concurrent browsing and other non-pallet intensive work. Also, it’s an older model so it runs some software my iMac can’t.

Depending on your needs, I’d go with the 15".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.