Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
It's public, actually.

Please write to him responsibly, only about important matters.

Exactly. I'd never email him directly with an issue like a battery not lasting a day or something fairly trivial. This, though, seemed to be justifiable as it's an issue (potentially hardware) that's been going on for a year now (since the iMac Pro) and is apparently showing up in their brand new T2-equipped machines, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDColorado
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Exactly. I'd never email him directly with an issue like a battery not lasting a day or something fairly trivial. This, though, seemed to be justifiable as it's an issue (potentially hardware) that's been going on for a year now (since the iMac Pro) and is apparently showing up in their brand new T2-equipped machines, too.

Really should have been tested longer in house before release. We would have been happy with the T1 chip for a bit longer.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
New imac pro with latest OSX crashes to "power off" often on startup with the bridge os error in the report.
[doublepost=1543334258][/doublepost]I get frequent Bridge OS crashes to (power off) only during cold boot or restarts. I have a new imac pro with an external TB3 chassis and and external UAD Apollo X TB3 audio interface. Typical troubleshooting has not helped. I have even disabled all T2 chip functions in recovery and in the OSX to the extent that is available to do so. Did not help at all. Only hope I see is for an Apple firmware update of some sort which I am not optimistic about. I can not operate without TB3 peripherals, so I'm kind of stuck. At least I am not getting panics inside the OSX once up and running.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
New imac pro with latest OSX crashes to "power off" often on startup with the bridge os error in the report.
[doublepost=1543334258][/doublepost]I get frequent Bridge OS crashes to (power off) only during cold boot or restarts. I have a new imac pro with an external TB3 chassis and and external UAD Apollo X TB3 audio interface. Typical troubleshooting has not helped. I have even disabled all T2 chip functions in recovery and in the OSX to the extent that is available to do so. Did not help at all. Only hope I see is for an Apple firmware update of some sort which I am not optimistic about. I can not operate without TB3 peripherals, so I'm kind of stuck. At least I am not getting panics inside the OSX once up and running.

Obviously you're nothing nothing wrong but this is yet another example of frequent crashes when using pro audio equipment (I know there are other cases, too). There was another guy on this thread a few months ago who had very regular crashes on multiple iMac Pros and 2018 MacBook Pros and he was doing audio work. The reason I say this is because I got an email back from an Apple VP when complaining about this stuff and I was asked explicitly if I was using any third-party audio equipment that installs kernel extensions.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Obviously you're nothing nothing wrong but this is yet another example of frequent crashes when using pro audio equipment (I know there are other cases, too). There was another guy on this thread a few months ago who had very regular crashes on multiple iMac Pros and 2018 MacBook Pros and he was doing audio work. The reason I say this is because I got an email back from an Apple VP when complaining about this stuff and I was asked explicitly if I was using any third-party audio equipment that installs kernel extensions.
It is suspect, although who to point fingers at right? but I have disconnected this and still have issues. It is hard to diagnose being the sporadic nature of it. But this problem is affecting people that have no audio or other TB3 stuff connected as well, so I think the TB connections are just a symptom and not the cause. My guess is a defective t2 chip that will not get fixed till it is replaced in future models. If it was software it would likely already have a fix. This is not a new problem at all. I'm not at all optimistic.

brainray

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
It is suspect, although who to point fingers at right? but I have disconnected this and still have issues. It is hard to diagnose being the sporadic nature of it. But this problem is affecting people that have no audio or other TB3 stuff connected as well, so I think the TB connections are just a symptom and not the cause. My guess is a defective t2 chip that will not get fixed till it is replaced in future models. If it was software it would likely already have a fix. This is not a new problem at all. I'm not at all optimistic.

I wound send the Mac back - as I did twice already. Currently waiting for my third Macbook 2018 and praying...

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I wound send the Mac back - as I did twice already. Currently waiting for my third Macbook 2018 and praying...
It won't help. The issue is baked in. Only thing will help is if they acknowledge it and prepare some sort of actual fix. The T2 chip has not been updated yet from all accounts. The bridge os version that started this problem was on 2.x and now 3.x no difference.

brainray

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
It won't help. The issue is baked in. Only thing will help is if they acknowledge it and prepare some sort of actual fix. The T2 chip has not been updated yet from all accounts. The bridge os version that started this problem was on 2.x and now 3.x no difference.

I'm not sure about this. 2 colleagues sitting next to me didn't have a single KP yet. They also don't get the Photo Booth crash. That's why I have the impression that it's just some faulty units.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I'm not sure about this. 2 colleagues sitting next to me didn't have a single KP yet. They also don't get the Photo Booth crash. That's why I have the impression that it's just some faulty units.
I'll buy that if someone can explain what the heck exactly is faulty. Apple sr tech's answer is simply "reinstall". It may indeed manifest with a certain set of circumstances whereby some people would never see it happen. Right now it's all pretty much guesswork. So frustrating. (hmm, I've never used photobooth. Why would that crash, something connected to t2 chip as well?

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I'll buy that if someone can explain what the heck exactly is faulty. Apple sr tech's answer is simply "reinstall". It may indeed manifest with a certain set of circumstances whereby some people would never see it happen. Right now it's all pretty much guesswork. So frustrating. (hmm, I've never used photobooth. Why would that crash, something connected to t2 chip as well?
It uses both the built in webcam and the mic, which are now handled by the T2 chip.

Diazepam

Suspended
Nov 24, 2018
Holy crap, I didn't know that I was also experiencing the same thing. Didn't know it was the "Bridge OS" problem till I read one of the crash reports. Yes, I experience random restarts/shutdowns roughly twice a day.

13" Mid-2018 MBP w/ Touch Bar. A1989 / "MBP 15, 2"

Code:
{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.0 (16P375)","timestamp":"2018-11-27 10:21:14.89 +0000","incident_id":"9BD09879-75BB-493A-AC9C-1A46059C53AC"}
{
  "build" : "Bridge OS 3.0 (16P375)",
  "product" : "iBridge2,4",
  "kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 18.0.0: Thu Sep  6 18:24:30 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4903.201.2~72\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",
  "incident" : "9BD09879-75BB-493A-AC9C-1A46059C53AC",
  "crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",
  "date" : "2018-11-27 10:21:14.71 +0000",
  "panicFlags" : "0x102",
  "otherString" : "\n** Stackshot Succeeded ** Bytes Traced 103824 **\n",
  "macOSPanicFlags" : "0x0",
  "macOSPanicString" : "BAD MAGIC! (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available",
  "memoryStatus" : {"compressorSize":0,"compressions":0,"decompressions":0,"busyBufferCount":0,"pageSize":16384,"memoryPressure":false,"memoryPages":{"active":8652,"throttled":0,"fileBacked":12408,"wired":5527,"purgeable":47,"inactive":4681,"free":7222,"speculative":4030}},

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Holy crap, I didn't know that I was also experiencing the same thing. Didn't know it was the "Bridge OS" problem till I read one of the crash reports. Yes, I experience random restarts/shutdowns roughly twice a day.

Please make sure you're submitting these crash logs when you have the option to.

vincedf

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2018
Just switched from a 2016 to a 2018 MacBook Pro TB, crashed with the Bridge OS KP after 4 hours of use. Will wait until I can then I will return it and contributed to the refurbished market.

By the way can somebody be kind enough to share how to check the firmware version of the T2 chip?

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
Interesting to find out what was the root cause, one day. Hopefully we find out. There must be something specific that causes some people to get kernel panics all the time, and others, not at all. I have two MacBook Pro 2018 laptops, one from July, never had a kernel panic. I have a second one, I got it yesterday with a Vega 20, and after one day no panic’s yet. I just don’t know what causes it. My guess it is something that some app software does, that other software does not- timing, api's used, coding techniques, depracated calls, something.

FrostyF

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2018
Western Canada
Interesting to find out what was the root cause, one day. Hopefully we find out. There must be something specific that causes some people to get kernel panics all the time, and others, not at all. I have two MacBook Pro 2018 laptops, one from July, never had a kernel panic. I have a second one, I got it yesterday with a Vega 20, and after one day no panic’s yet. I just don’t know what causes it. My guess it is something that some app software does, that other software does not- timing, api's used, coding techniques, depracated calls, something.

It’s definitely the T2 Chip. I’ve recently bought and returned a 2018 MBA, had kernel panics. 13” MBP I’m currently using has it too. When I get my 15” Vega 20 I will be disabling secure boot as soon as I get it.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

I wish it was something like that, but I got my first ever BridgeOS kernel panic after doing nothing more than initial setup. After the initial setup, I took a break to let my dogs out for a bit, came up back to the computer after about 30 minutes and found it had KP'ed. Nothing installed, nothing attached other than the power cable. No apps, loaded, no browser extensions, nothing. So I think it is an issue at a far more base level than what is installed or attached from my own experience.

Reactions: xgman and pubmsu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.