Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
I never had coil whine with my macbook pro 15 2017 (256gb ssd). Since i upgraded to Mojave 10.4.4, the buzzing and scratching noises started suddenly. When i power up the mac, i can hear some kind of buzzing sound. After i login to macOS, the scratching of the ssd starts. It's now so loud, i can leave my room, and can hear it outside of the room when i download something.

I called Apple, and they told me the mac is out of warranty and cannot do anything about it. Guess im out of luck :(

That's really loud! Can you post a video with sound?

Ash969

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2011
Sorry for my late response, i have uploaded a mp3 file recorded with my s10+

This was when watching a 4k youtube video
[doublepost=1557996783][/doublepost]

This was when watching a 4k youtube video

Also, the macbook pro is working perfectly fine. Its not slow, i have upgraded to the latest version of macOS. i dont have much installed, 12apps. There is nothing strange to see in taskmanager.

Attachments

• MacBook Pro 15 2017 youtube 4k.m4a.zip
    826.4 KB · Views: 175

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

I can't really tell how normal or abnormal that is. Some of it sounds a lot like what I hear on my 2018 MBP but amped up considerably. I hear some humming noises anytime I move my mouse and when I'm doing something write intensive, the SSD does some really buzzy noises that are louder.

To a certain extent, what I experience is normal though my previous 2016 MBP was much quieter.

Another wildcard to consider is that age is going to determine what someone might hear. Someone in their 20's is going to be able to hear a lot of noises coming from the electronics that someone in their 50's cannot hear or can barely hear.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I can't really tell how normal or abnormal that is. Some of it sounds a lot like what I hear on my 2018 MBP but amped up considerably. I hear some humming noises anytime I move my mouse and when I'm doing something write intensive, the SSD does some really buzzy noises that are louder.

To a certain extent, what I experience is normal though my previous 2016 MBP was much quieter.

Another wildcard to consider is that age is going to determine what someone might hear. Someone in their 20's is going to be able to hear a lot of noises coming from the electronics that someone in their 50's cannot hear or can barely hear.

The hearing fade frequency range starts much earlier than that. It starts in your teens and by mid 20s there are a lot of frequencies you no longer hear. They even make devices specifically designed to make frequencies in these upper ranges to dissuade teens from gathering. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito

Reactions: smirking

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Has the new macbook model (2019) the same problem?

I just unboxed for work, a 2019 2.3/16/512 and the noise was incredibly noticeable compared to my 2018 2.2/16/555x/1tb. In almost 1 year of ownership of the 2018, I never heard it. With the 2019, it was too distracting to keep and is going right back to the Apple Store. Seems to be a common theme, more likely with 512 compared to 1tb?

keepsec

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2019
I just unboxed for work, a 2019 2.3/16/512 and the noise was incredibly noticeable compared to my 2018 2.2/16/555x/1tb. In almost 1 year of ownership of the 2018, I never heard it. With the 2019, it was too distracting to keep and is going right back to the Apple Store. Seems to be a common theme, more likely with 512 compared to 1tb?
I had a machine with the same specs 2019 2.3/16/512. The noise was so loud that I could here it 3m away. I even opened a thread about the 2019 coil whine. Nobody was experiencing the same problem with the 2019 MBP. I returned it yesterday and got the same model. Will unbox it this afternoon. Will see if it is quiet.

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
I had a machine with the same specs 2019 2.3/16/512. The noise was so loud that I could here it 3m away. I even opened a thread about the 2019 coil whine. Nobody was experiencing the same problem with the 2019 MBP. I returned it yesterday and got the same model. Will unbox it this afternoon. Will see if it is quiet.

After I read up on this, I ran Blackmagic Speed Test on my 2018 1tb and put my ear to the ssd location. I can, in fact hear it but oh so faintly and literally only with my ear pressed to the keyboard, which obviously will never happen in practice.

The 2019 512 was so audible that at first I thought the fan was messed up, then maybe was the fan blowing on a plastic bag near where I had it sitting, then I thought there was a mouse somewhere in the room (and not the bluetooth kind). I could hear it clearly while sitting a few feet away, in a quiet room as iCloud was installing App Store apps and download iCloud photos.

Please update us if the replacement exhibits the same symptoms. Unfortunately, I am 60 miles from the nearest Apple Store and had no time to deal with this today.

keepsec

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2019
The replacement machine has the same noise, so probably they all have. Will try to live with it the next days. If it is too annoying I will return it.

spp

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2019
I'm from China. I had a 2019 MBP 1TB, has the same noise. replaced new one yesterday, but the new machine has the same problem too.... so probably they all have, will do return this weekend, disappointed very much.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
I know the last post is a year old. But I too have a 2019 2.3 512, and the noise and Google, brought me here. It wasn't there at first. But then I began noticininng at the start of COVID. Maybe being home, by myself so much as given time to pickup on it. It sounds like a bad transformer. I have heard the wine with other electronics and always associated with poor quality components. Frankly it can be heard through Team/Zoom meetings, and is quite annoying. At first I though it was a co-worker's computer, but then I noticed it was coming from my computer!!!

I feel like something is going to fail, and I wonder if this is going to be another capacitor like fiasco.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.