Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
It seems like the Core H chips suitable for the 15" MacBook Pro will indeed be ready around June but I haven't found anything about the Core U chips suitable for the 13" MacBook Pro. More here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/waiting-for-the-2019-mbp-merged.2127125/page-76#post-27280383

Interesting! With rumours of the 16” to 16.5” MacBook Pro, I wonder if Apple will do a “Pro” focus WWDC where we see the Mac Pro, Pro display and the new MacBook Pro with 16” screen.

Aquamite

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2014
Spain
Interesting! With rumours of the 16” to 16.5” MacBook Pro, I wonder if Apple will do a “Pro” focus WWDC where we see the Mac Pro, Pro display and the new MacBook Pro with 16” screen.
Me too. They could only release new the new Mac Pro alongside the rumoured new 16.5" MacBook Pro and leave the incremental upgrade for the 13" and 15" MacBook Pro models for... sometime later? Maybe for when the new chips for the MacBook Pro 13" and MacBook Air are ready.

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Me too. They could only release new the new Mac Pro alongside the rumoured new 16.5" MacBook Pro and leave the incremental upgrade for the 13" and 15" MacBook Pro models for... sometime later? Maybe for when the new chips for the MacBook Pro 13" and MacBook Air are ready.

Yea that makes sense. They know people are waiting on the Mac Pro, Apple did say it was a 2019 thing. Just a guess, mainly WWDC is software, 2017 saw a lot of updates to hardware so it’s possible.

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
FL
I agree--can't keep the Air KB if they replace the Pro KB.

I'm not sure the little MB is long for this world, OR I think it's a candidate for the ARM treatment.

My personal opinion is all modern Macs should have at least 1 TB3 port.

They certainly can improve the Keyboard without a total redesign. Rumors are no full redesign until 2021, which makes sense. That doesn’t mean we won’t get an improved keyboard mechanism and maybe more USB C ports this year.

It would be very interesting to see what happens with the MacBook. It was an ambitious product that was way too ahead of its time. Chipsets that will make it a viable everyday machine won’t be around for a while. In the meantime, ARM would be a good way to dip their toes in the water, if they decide not to remove it from their lineup. ARM would also allow them to lower the cost.

When is it more likely for a new MBA to be announced in 2019? October? November?

You won’t see a new MBA until October or November, just because the suitable chips won’t be ready beforehand.

Obviously, I’ve very excited what IceLake and Tiger lake can bring to the MBA and to a lesser extent, even the MBP.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccfte...14nm-comet-lake-10nm-ice-lake-tiger-lake/amp/

If this is true, there’s no chance we’ll see a 4 core MBA until late 2020.

Reactions: Aquamite

Aquamite

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2014
Spain
They certainly can improve the Keyboard without a total redesign. Rumors are no full redesign until 2021, which makes sense. That doesn’t mean we won’t get an improved keyboard mechanism and maybe more USB C ports this year.

It would be very interesting to see what happens with the MacBook. It was an ambitious product that was way too ahead of its time. Chipsets that will make it a viable everyday machine won’t be around for a while. In the meantime, ARM would be a good way to dip their toes in the water, if they decide not to remove it from their lineup. ARM would also allow them to lower the cost.

You won’t see a new MBA until October or November, just because the suitable chips won’t be ready beforehand.

Obviously, I’ve very excited what IceLake and Tiger lake can bring to the MBA and to a lesser extent, even the MBP.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccfte...14nm-comet-lake-10nm-ice-lake-tiger-lake/amp/

If this is true, there’s no chance we’ll see a 4 core MBA until late 2020.
So if I’m reading those pictures correctly, the next Intel CPUs suitable for the MBA are the 10nm dual core 5W Ice Lake Y coming in Q3 2019. Am I right?
[doublepost=1556127735][/doublepost]This is confusing. The article says this:

Ice Lake-Y 2 core SKUs (10nm) planned for Q2 2019 and marked as limited while it’s successor, Tiger Lake-Y 10nm) with 4 core options has no such markings. It looks like Intel’s 10nm yields would get better by mid-2020 so they can offer more mainstream products to the mass market. Intel would also simultaneously be offering up to 4 core (14nm) Comet Lake-Y parts around Q3 2019

And the pictures show this:

Intel-Client-Desktop-CPU-Roadmap-2020-10nm-14nm-Ice-Lake-Comet-Lake-Tiger-Lake-Rocket-Lake.jpg

Intel-Client-Mobility-CPU-Roadmap-2020-10nm-14nm-Ice-Lake-Comet-Lake-Tiger-Lake-Rocket-Lake.png

I don’t see the information matching up.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
FL
But on the graph it says Ice Lake-Y chips will be available in Q2 2019 which is now.
Yep, if that chart is correct, but they still have to be able to fabricate them at a large enough yield to be slapping them into machines and I’m not holding my breath. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Q3 come and go with no IceLake chips in the wild. :(

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yep, if that chart is correct, but they still have to be able to fabricate them at a large enough yield to be slapping them into machines and I’m not holding my breath. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Q3 come and go with no IceLake chips in the wild. :(

So no MacBook Air updates this year?

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
FL
So no MacBook Air updates this year?

It does seem increasingly possible that if there is one, it may not sport Ice Lake, but we won’t know for certain until the summer, if Intel can deliver enough of them to be in products by the holidays.

The leak today offers a possibility of at very least, a soft launch of IL sometime in June and Intel promised on the earnings call a few days ago that week will see IceLake in meaningful quantities this holiday.

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
It does seem increasingly possible that if there is one, it may not sport Ice Lake, but we won’t know for certain until the summer, if Intel can deliver enough of them to be in products by the holidays.

The leak today offers a possibility of at very least, a soft launch of IL sometime in June and Intel promised on the earnings call a few days ago that week will see IceLake in meaningful quantities this holiday.

Possibly at WWDC in June, alongside some new Macbook Pros maybe? it will be interesting to see what Apple do, especially with the keyboard issue.

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Possibly at WWDC in June, alongside some new Macbook Pros maybe? it will be interesting to see what Apple do, especially with the keyboard issue.

MBA is unlikely for June, but the MBP should be ready to go. They’ll probably tweak the keyboards, they have to!

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
But on the graph it says Ice Lake-Y chips will be available in Q2 2019 which is now.
I think 'available' might not necessarily mean 'available in the volumes Apple require for the MBA' in this instance - Intel's big struggle seems to have been getting sufficient yield from 10nm at mass production scale, now they've apparently significantly simplified the 10nm chips perhaps they will be able to get them out, but I wouldn't jump the gun on expecting it at this point!

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
https://iphone.appleinsider.com/art...plans-10nm-chip-shipments-in-june-7nm-in-2021

The future is exciting. We should see some decent performance increases and better battery life along w/ faster WiFi w/ the upcoming ice lake. I think I read somewhere that they will start with Y and U series first and mba uses the 7w Y series chip.

Counting my days towards the 2019 mba refresh. I’m definitely buying it. A 2018 mba was decent for a first gen product and the 2nd gen should improve on what is already decent.

Last edited:

c0LdFire

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
Here’s hoping for a quick turnaround on the 2019 air refresh. It’ll be a day one purchase for me.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Here’s hoping for a quick turnaround on the 2019 air refresh. It’ll be a day one purchase for me.

I wonder how long it will be until there is a refresh, they need to put that "new material" in the Macbook Air! if it fixes the issues.

c0LdFire

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
Yep, that’s my primary concern. My 512/16 air started repeating key presses on day two, so I returned it. The ice lake chip would just be the icing on the cake.

I know they’ll supposedly replace the keyboard with the new 2019 one during repairs now but I don’t care to go through that hassle.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Yep, that’s my primary concern. My 512/16 air started repeating key presses on day two, so I returned it. The ice lake chip would just be the icing on the cake.

I know they’ll supposedly replace the keyboard with the new 2019 one during repairs now but I don’t care to go through that hassle.
I wouldn't put too much stock in the 2019 keyboard, considering it's gone straight into the repair programme. While it is good Apple have done this from a peace of mind for 4 years perspective, ultimately it just suggests the new KB is also going to be prone to the same issues that have plagued all butterfly KBs from the start. If the 2018 was a dealbreaker, there's nothing I can see that should make the 2019 any less of a dealbreaker tbh. I guess either you pay your money and take a chance, wait even longer, or find an alternative.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I wouldn't put too much stock in the 2019 keyboard, considering it's gone straight into the repair programme. While it is good Apple have done this from a peace of mind for 4 years perspective, ultimately it just suggests the new KB is also going to be prone to the same issues that have plagued all butterfly KBs from the start. If the 2018 was a dealbreaker, there's nothing I can see that should make the 2019 any less of a dealbreaker tbh. I guess either you pay your money and take a chance, wait even longer, or find an alternative.

Personally at the moment I’m waiting on more reviews to see what they say. I’ve watched the iFixit video and they have said Apple tweaked the keyboard. The problem I have is in deciding if that’s actually fixed the issue and or worth the gamble :confused:

https://www.wired.com/story/apple-macbook-keyboard-ifixit/

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
Ice lake 10nm just got released today by intel, but they are all 15W. Not Y-series at all..., unless Apple’s directs a heatsink and heatpipe to the fan, they might be able to use the 15W CPU.

However, the 15W Ice Lake is probably faster than the current MBP 13" 2019, so mister Cooks greed won’t allow this chip on the Air!

Aquamite

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2014
Spain
Ice lake 10nm just got released today by intel, but they are all 15W. Not Y-series at all..., unless Apple’s directs a heatsink and heatpipe to the fan, they might be able to use the 15W CPU.

However, the 15W Ice Lake is probably faster than the current MBP 13" 2019, so mister Cooks greed won’t allow this chip on the Air!
They can’t be faster than the MBP as the graphics aren’t Iris Plus Graphics.

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
They can’t be faster than the MBP as the graphics aren’t Iris Plus Graphics.

Iris Plus is not the only Gen11 graphics. Intel also showed the 48EU versions which are still in the 1.0 Tflops range and faster than the current Iris 555 on the 13" MPB 2018/19.

302E10F1-FECD-45F1-B275-863EDB4160F7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Aquamite

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
It looks like that i7 could make a great CPU for the 13” MBP if Apple wanted to put a 15W in the 13” MBP.

True, but I think they are going to wait for the Rocket-Lake U. This chips is a 28W 14nm 6 core + 10nm Gen11 iGPU.

Unfortunately, we won’t see any 6 core 10nm until 2021-2022.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.