Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeropoint88

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2018
Iris Plus is not the only Gen11 graphics. Intel also showed the 48EU versions which are still in the 1.0 Tflops range and faster than the current Iris 555 on the 13" MPB 2018/19.

View attachment 839348

Seems unlikely a 4 core chip with more cache, faster graphics and higher turbo speed truly has the same tdp as a 2 core chip. Looks weird to me.

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
Seems unlikely a 4 core chip with more cache, faster graphics and higher turbo speed truly has the same tdp as a 2 core chip. Looks weird to me.

This is nothing new, Intel does this for decades...
Maximum TDP of 15W is adjustable by the laptop manufacturer, but will not exceed 15W.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Personally at the moment I’m waiting on more reviews to see what they say. I’ve watched the iFixit video and they have said Apple tweaked the keyboard. The problem I have is in deciding if that’s actually fixed the issue and or worth the gamble :confused:

https://www.wired.com/story/apple-macbook-keyboard-ifixit/
Again, I really wouldn't hold my breath it fixes it decisively - it is straight into the repair programme after all... If the 2018 issues were enough to put you off I don't see that this resolves them enough to change your mind - for me I am definitely waiting to see what a redesigned Pro brings, either later this year or next, if it's got a different KB, that would possibly even be worth it no matter the expense (I've saved quite a bit by keeping one computer 4 years where I might have gone through two in that time previously!)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Again, I really wouldn't hold my breath it fixes it decisively - it is straight into the repair programme after all... If the 2018 issues were enough to put you off I don't see that this resolves them enough to change your mind - for me I am definitely waiting to see what a redesigned Pro brings, either later this year or next, if it's got a different KB, that would possibly even be worth it no matter the expense (I've saved quite a bit by keeping one computer 4 years where I might have gone through two in that time previously!)

That’s the problem, it’s like constantly waiting. At least if the redesign had of been this year, it would of been better.

The 2018 put me off when I read a few articles from high profile people (Wallstreet Journal and a couple more) that said they had issues with their keyboards, also when Apple come out and apologised I realised there must of been an issue because they don’t apologise for not reason. Up to that point I was actually ready to buy.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
That’s the problem, it’s like constantly waiting. At least if the redesign had of been this year, it would of been better.

The 2018 put me off when I read a few articles from high profile people (Wallstreet Journal and a couple more) that said they had issues with their keyboards, also when Apple come out and apologised I realised there must of been an issue because they don’t apologise for not reason. Up to that point I was actually ready to buy.
Yeah it does feel that way - with the MBA having only come out last year I'm not even sure when it will next be updated either (as in redesigned, not just refreshed). I'm pretty antsy as I like to update my computer quite frequently (just my little treat every 2-3 years) and there have been quite a few times I've been on the cusp of getting a 2017 then 2018 but I think the price (I'd want the 512GB 15" for £2,699) plus the risk of the KB failing, screen flex issues etc have stopped me at the last moment. I've just decided at this point it's worth the wait for the 16" screen alone, and while I did balk at how much the TB machines cost, it doesn't seem so bad if it's to last a good 4 years (don't think I'm going back to 2 anytime soon!).

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yeah it does feel that way - with the MBA having only come out last year I'm not even sure when it will next be updated either (as in redesigned, not just refreshed). I'm pretty antsy as I like to update my computer quite frequently (just my little treat every 2-3 years) and there have been quite a few times I've been on the cusp of getting a 2017 then 2018 but I think the price (I'd want the 512GB 15" for £2,699) plus the risk of the KB failing, screen flex issues etc have stopped me at the last moment. I've just decided at this point it's worth the wait for the 16" screen alone, and while I did balk at how much the TB machines cost, it doesn't seem so bad if it's to last a good 4 years (don't think I'm going back to 2 anytime soon!).

Glad I’m not on my own then, I’ve done exactly the same thing. For the last couple of years I’ve intended to buy a new MacBook, it was the Pro at first and then late last year I was going to buy the MacBook Air, however I started seeing the keyboard issues being posted and reported about so I didn’t.
I then saw that Apple May of fixed the keyboard with the 2019 update, whoever reviews are not really saying and it will more than likely take a few months to see if people start reporting it.

At this point I’m considering updating my iPad Pro and buying the new one with the Smart keyboard. Then next year update to the new redesigned MacBook Pro. IF the new MacOS that’s announced at WWDC supports the 2012 iMac, I can still use the latest MacOS, wait for the redesign and update my iPad Pro, all at the same time.

Reactions: Falhófnir

RegularGuy09

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2015
So since Intel is planning on releasing dual core 9TDP ice lake processors, and 15 TDP quad core ones, what is the probability that apple will put the 15 TDP one in the 2019 MacBook Air?

If it does it will blow the 2018 one out of the water with its performance increase. Add the increase in battery life, and possibly updated keyboard, the 2019 MBA will be a great device.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Maybe the Air will get a spec bump around October, but will the speed improvement be a big percentage? or are we talking about a small spec bump, like the 13" Macbook Pro 2019?

Aquamite

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2014
Spain
Why so? Is there a physical limitation? Is the chassis too small or the fan not good enough?
Yes, all of that.
[doublepost=1559225160][/doublepost]
Maybe the Air will get a spec bump around October, but will the speed improvement be a big percentage? or are we talking about a small spec bump, like the 13" Macbook Pro 2019?
Proportionally I’d expect it to be a higher improvement in comparison. For me just the inclusion of Bluetooth 5.0 would make the wait worth.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yes, all of that.
[doublepost=1559225160][/doublepost]
Proportionally I’d expect it to be a higher improvement in comparison. For me just the inclusion of Bluetooth 5.0 would make the wait worth.

When is it likely to happen tho? they updated the Pro a week ago. Maybe the Air will have to wait until October

frostiex

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Calgary
I am due for an upgrade this year. My 2013 MBP 15 is showing its age. I really hope for a mac...But man...Am I enticed on that ice lake XPS 13 2in1....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.