Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cassandle

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2020
The news about a 10.8" iPad coming later this year muddies the waters a bit. It doesn't match up with the hopes for the new Air to be in the 11" Pro form factor. If it's the entry-level that's being updated, it could make the current Air basically obsolete (assuming it gets A12 chip, narrow bezels like the current Air has).

It does seem like the iPad line is going through yet another transition.

We could have in 2021:

• Entry level 10.8" - A12
  • Mini 8.5" - Pro form factor, Face ID, pencil 2, A13/A14
  • Air 11" - Pro form factor, Face ID, pencil 2, A13/A14
  • Pro 11" and 12.9" - mini-LED, A14X
Alternatively, it could be that Apple may be in the process of simplifying the line by merging some lines (perhaps the entry-level and Air, or the Air and 11" Pro, or the Air and Mini).

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I guess it could be the air in the 11 pro case just with a home button and that’s why the screen size is 10.8 instead of 11. Truthfully they don’t need the air in the lineup.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I guess it could be the air in the 11 pro case just with a home button and that’s why the screen size is 10.8 instead of 11. Truthfully they don’t need the air in the lineup.

They need the Air in the line up to fill the massive price gap between the entry level iPad (£350) and the iPad Pro (£769). Some members are saying that entry level iPad and Air should merge into one product, but then the price will also increase at the base level iPad pricing.

tomtad

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2015
I'm 100% sure the new Air will be in the Pro form, there's just too much evidence that points to this happening which leaves the mystery of what the 0.2 inch extra space is for.

I don't think you could comfortably fit an circular home button in that extra space, nor is a home button necessary any more, so it could be that the slightly thicker bezels are to house a redesigned fingerprint reader. From the front I think this will look like the Pro with slightly thicker white bezels, the rear will be the same with one camera and flash in the bump.

The Air not getting Face ID would be another differentiator to make sure the new Air doesn't cannibalise the Pro sales whilst also increasing sales of existing Pro accessories (Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2 etc) which now would be compatible with Airs. Conveniently all references to Pro have now been removed from the boxes of these accessories.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I'm 100% sure the new Air will be in the Pro form, there's just too much evidence that points to this happening which leaves the mystery of what the 0.2 inch extra space is for.

I don't think you could comfortably fit an circular home button in that extra space, nor is a home button necessary any more, so it could be that the slightly thicker bezels are to house a redesigned fingerprint reader. From the front I think this will look like the Pro with slightly thicker white bezels, the rear will be the same with one camera and flash in the bump.

The Air not getting Face ID would be another differentiator to make sure the new Air doesn't cannibalise the Pro sales whilst also increasing sales of existing Pro accessories (Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2 etc) which now would be compatible with Airs. Conveniently all references to Pro have now been removed from the boxes of these accessories.
So you’re saying the 10.8” is an Air?

I agree that 0.2” isn’t enough for Touch ID though, whether it’s an entry level iPad or an Air.

tomtad

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2015

I agree that 0.2” isn’t enough for Touch ID though, whether it’s an entry level iPad or an Air.

Yes, very quick mockup of what I think this could look like.

ipad-pro-4gen-buttons-connectors.png

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
The news about a 10.8" iPad coming later this year muddies the waters a bit. It doesn't match up with the hopes for the new Air to be in the 11" Pro form factor. If it's the entry-level that's being updated, it could make the current Air basically obsolete (assuming it gets A12 chip, narrow bezels like the current Air has).

It does seem like the iPad line is going through yet another transition.

We could have in 2021:

• Entry level 10.8" - A12
  • Mini 8.5" - Pro form factor, Face ID, pencil 2, A13/A14
  • Air 11" - Pro form factor, Face ID, pencil 2, A13/A14
  • Pro 11" and 12.9" - mini-LED, A14X
Alternatively, it could be that Apple may be in the process of simplifying the line by merging some lines (perhaps the entry-level and Air, or the Air and 11" Pro, or the Air and Mini).
I think we might have some surprises with the pro, some rumors are saying that Apple is considering increasing the pros sizes, which makes sense for both the 11 and the 12.9....

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I think we might have some surprises with the pro, some rumors are saying that Apple is considering increasing the pros sizes, which makes sense for both the 11 and the 12.9....
I would be happy with say an 11.5” iPad Pro, with corresponding increase in Magic Keyboard size and key spacing. The bigger model can go to about 13.5”.

However, I’m not counting on that. I wouldn’t be surprised if the sizes stayed the same.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I would be happy with say an 11.5” iPad Pro, with corresponding increase in Magic Keyboard size and key spacing. The bigger model can go to about 13.5”.

However, I’m not counting on that. I wouldn’t be surprised if the sizes stayed the same.
at this point rumors say Apple is debating whether to increase one, both or none.. And the decision seems to be going in favor of both, but it's too early for devices that are scheduled for 2021... Personally I would take a 14in ipad pro in a heartbeat, especially it's it's no heavier than the first generation pro....

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011

My guess is that the Air won't have rounded corners for the screen, but will use rectangular, sharp corners. Perhaps they will cut the Air's corner to where the Pro's rounded corner is in the middle.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Unless I've missed some other post, he clearly says the Air is 11".

Yeah I think you're right. I was reading some articles that associated his tweet with the 10.8", but I can't find a reference to that size in his tweets about the Air.

BTW, even if it gets mini-LED, I won't buy it without quad speakers. I am totally spoiled by quad speakers now. Well, I could accept dual speakers but only if one was on the top and one was on the bottom, since I mainly would use it in landscape mode.

Cassandle

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2020
It should be noted that the reliable leaker L0vetodream claims the 10.8" is an Air with mini-LED, with under-screen Touch ID. I think that's wrong. I don't see mention of 10.8. As JPack later states, he mentions elsewhere it's 11".

Take that as you will.
Didn't this guy also predict a new iMac at WWDC?

Also, there's no way the Air gets mini-LED before the Pros.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney

That was Jon Prosser who said that there would be new hardware like a iMac, AirPods studio etc etc at a developers conference... which has much to do with software

Glad he was so wrong on that one

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

No, this is the guy that accurately predicted everything that happened at WWDC, including "Big Sur."

I don't think anyone is predicting that. But it's conceivable that the Air launches at the same time or soon after the Pro.

Gummistovlar

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2020
Any more news on the iPad Air 2020? I'm eager to buy my first iPad but can't decide on which. The 11" Pro is overkill for my needs and the standard iPad too basic.

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Any more news on the iPad Air 2020? I'm eager to buy my first iPad but can't decide on which. The 11" Pro is overkill for my needs and the standard iPad too basic.

Depends on how long you are prepared to wait for it. The earliest iPad Air 4 can come would be October this year. Otherwise, there is always iPad Air 3, which is great at its price point, IMO. ?

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
We don’t know for certain yet when the IPad Air 4 will be released, most probably after the iPhone 12 as it will likely have the A14 soc. The base IPad though, is likely to get updated sooner, with rumours indicating it will have an A12 chip and 10.8“ screen, which makes it a very compelling device to own at £350.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
We don’t know for certain yet when the IPad Air 4 will be released, most probably after the iPhone 12 as it will likely have the A14 soc. The base IPad though, is likely to get updated sooner, with rumours indicating it will have an A12 chip and 10.8“ screen, which makes it a very compelling device to own at £350.
I wouldn't count on the 10.8in.... it 's still unclear if it's the air that will get it...

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
If the Air gets the 10.8”, the iPad could go 10.5”?

Interesting he doesn’t mention the 8.5” Mini that had been rumoured - it might be getting left on par with the standard iPad if that is getting A12.

I couldn’t see a smaller Touch ID in the bezel - Apple are well known for the circular home button and while the model tomtad suggested looks nice, the button makes it look more like an Android.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
If the Air gets the 10.8”, the iPad could go 10.5”?

Interesting he doesn’t mention the 8.5” Mini that had been rumoured - it might be getting left on par with the standard iPad if that is getting A12.

I couldn’t see a smaller Touch ID in the bezel - Apple are well known for the circular home button and while the model tomtad suggested looks nice, the button makes it look more like an Android.
DigiTimes may be suggesting the 10.8" could be the Air, to be released in 2020. It says it will have a high performance CPU. It also says it will be cheaper, which to me further supports the suggestion it could be an Air, since I don't see the entry level iPad getting any cheaper.

"Sales prospects for the new 10.8-inch iPad devices are also bright as the new lineup, which feature high performance CPUs, will be available at more affordable prices, the sources indicated."

However, as always, take this with a grain of salt, as DigiTimes' reliability is mixed.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
I'd laugh my ass off if Big Sur eventually makes its way to iOS as an app, running on the same ARM architecture and all. :)

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
DigiTimes may be suggesting the 10.8" could be the Air, to be released in 2020. It says it will have a high performance CPU. It also says it will be cheaper, which to me further supports the suggestion it could be an Air, since I don't see the entry level iPad getting any cheaper.

"Sales prospects for the new 10.8-inch iPad devices are also bright as the new lineup, which feature high performance CPUs, will be available at more affordable prices, the sources indicated."

However, as always, take this with a grain of salt, as DigiTimes' reliability is mixed.

The way I'm reading the Digitimes article is that the "affordable prices" are largely referring to the MacBook "lineup." I mean it's a given that iPad comes with a "high performance" CPU, so it's likely referring to the ARM MacBooks. In terms of pricing, I would not be surprised if Apple wanted to push iPad everywhere and offer $309 educational pricing to everyone.

Supply chain to kick off component shipments for new MacBook and iPad in 3Q20
Taiwan's supply chain will kick off shipments in third-quarter 2020 of related parts and components such as backlit units (BLUs) for next-generation MacBook and iPad products slated for launch in the latter half of the year, driving the suppliers' revenue growth, according to industry sources.
As Apple is set to release 13-inch MacBook Pro and MacBook Air, powered by Apple Silicon, by the end of this year, total shipments of MacBook lineup are expected to reach 16-17 million units in 2020 compared to 14.5-15.5 million units shipped a year earlier, the sources estimated.
Sales prospects for the new 10.8-inch iPad devices are also bright as the new lineup, which feature high performance CPUs, will be available at more affordable prices, the sources indicated.

Reactions: EugW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.