Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 14?

• Total voters

Brad7

Cancelled
May 3, 2022
I have not used this iPhone 12 Pro Max In Pacific Blue in a while and it's collecting dust! COVID ERA!

iphone-12-pro-header.jpg
Do you hang on to prior iPhones vs selling/passing them off?

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
Oh that was painful! Ok I just cleaned up my phone a little and did an iTunes backup that took forever!! I hate my pc.
Anyway I’m backed up, watch is unpaired (first), and I guess I’m ready to go.. right?

My phone is still traveling from Phoenix but I did notice UPS says my delivery while the same day and time, now says “rescheduled” above the date/time. Wonder if that’s just because they can’t really change to hold for pickup since it’s not scanned in yet? Do you think? Just curious to learn the details.

Oh I got an email that my return box is on the way too.

Shh

Suspended
Jul 28, 2022
Scorched Earth, Arizona
This may have come up before but what's the difference between IPSW and OTA when it's a brand new phone?
The IPSW is the entire operating system and firmware for the phone. It's basically wiping the phone clean with a fresh install of the OS and the firmware. If you are using the IPSW to update, it's the same thing ... the entire OS. Whereas OTA is Over the Air and is just sort of a patch. It's not the full OS, which makes it considerably smaller in file size. I find I have less issues with bugs when I use IPSWs over OTA. It's also much faster to update than OTA. I get all my IPSWs from here:

Their links come directly from Apple's servers.

Whistler Mac

Contributor
Apr 17, 2019
I have all 7 books and started reading them all over again. I remember as a kid, when I got the books, I wouldn’t do anything but read all day until I finished the book
I was forced to buy three books at release. One for daughter. One for wife. One for mother-in-law.

Brad7

Cancelled
May 3, 2022
The IPSW is the entire operating system and firmware for the phone. It's basically wiping the phone clean with a fresh install of the OS and the firmware. If you are using the IPSW to update, it's the same thing ... the entire OS. Whereas OTA is Over the Air and is just sort of a patch. It's not the full OS, which makes it considerably smaller in file size. I find I have less issues with bugs when I use IPSWs over OTA. It's also much faster to update than OTA. I get all my IPSWs from here:

Their links come directly from Apple's servers.
Gotcha, thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.