Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pro Apple Silicon

Suspended
Oct 1, 2021
because 256gb was like the iPhone 16gb. In 2020 neither should exist. no matter, that computer sits in a box in the closet now. I did a true upgrade from my 2017 Macbook Pro last month.
Not true at all. There are plenty of people who don't need storage for the way the device gets used. Especially in EDU. Your perspective is limited to your own desires, which is never good.

You're not a base model user.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
Not true at all. There are plenty of people who don't need storage for the way the device gets used. Especially in EDU. Your perspective is limited to your own desires, which is never good.

You're not a base model user.

the base model is wrong. the same philosophy that leads apple to sell phones without chargers leads to dumping sub par ssds in the computers forcing users to upgrade and pay a premium to get reasonable space. of course the koolaid drinkers will make excuses for them so they keep doing it..

robco74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2020
the base model is wrong. the same philosophy that leads apple to sell phones without chargers leads to dumping sub par ssds in the computers forcing users to upgrade and pay a premium to get reasonable space. of course the koolaid drinkers will make excuses for them so they keep doing it..
I've been using iPhones for years. I already have several chargers and cables, I don't need anymore. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I would also like to know which Macs are getting subpar SSDs. They seem to perform quite well. Unless you're referring to capacity, then 256 seems pretty standard. Hell, the brand new Surface Pro 8 starts at 128GB, costs $100 more - and that's without the type cover. The Surface Laptop has the same 8/256 config and starting price of $999.

Your use case is your use case. If your use case requires more local storage, then there are options available. Why should someone whose use case doesn't require it pay more?

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
Unless you're referring to capacity

oh it's didn't read the thread guy chiming in.

Your use case is your use case. If your use case requires more local storage, then there are options available. Why should someone whose use case doesn't require it pay more?

oh and also miss the point guy. :D

512 should be standard, not a pay more option.

the base Air right now is only 2x the base storage of a stinking phone. The Air can be better..

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: jz0309

robco74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2020
oh it's didn't read the thread guy chiming in.

oh and also miss the point guy. :D

512 should be standard, not a pay more option.

the base Air right now is only 2x the base storage of a stinking phone. The Air can be better..
No, I get the point that you need more than 256, but there are plenty of people who don't. If 512 were the new standard, then I would expect competitors who offer similar products at similar price points would make 512 standard. But that isn't the case. 128 is still standard for some, and 256 seems pretty common across the board. For many users, this will be sufficient.

Apple offers storage tiers above and beyond most others. If you need more storage, suck it up and pay for more storage.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have considered getting a second mini to share the RAM and CPU load on my desk. I'd get the minimum storage for the second one and 16 GB of RAM. Apple gives their customers options. I could also just hang an external drive if I needed to as well.

michalm

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2014
I've bought into the Apple ecosystem, so I'm using iCloud and storage has not been an issue since I made that call. All the machines everyone int he family is using are the base storage models and stuff just gets pushed to the cloud is local space is low...

Reactions: jz0309 and pshufd

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Everyone’s needs are different, the documents I’ve collected over the past 15-20 years amount to less than 10GB, that includes tax returns, copies of important docs (eg passport, contracts and such) and so on… media is an entirely different story, I have around 3 TB of photos, videos, music and movies - on external drives.

Reactions: macsound1

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I chose 256GB and it’s fine for me. SSDs are so small now, and the big files I manage I need to access on both my MacBook and iMac. IMO Cloud storage is less convenient than internal or external storage for larger files.. too much juggling, uploading and downloading.. but I know that’s a great option for some people. I usually do 512 for laptops, but I was running things the same way and never maxing it out, so I opted for the base + a RAM upgrade instead.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
My work M1 is 256. I work exclusively in Onedrive. 256 is more than enough. My own M1 is a 512, because, you know, there are different use cases. 😊

therealMasa

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2021
No need for regret. You can supplement storage with cloud or external drives. In contrast, you cannot add RAM later. So better have 16GB now.

I have a variety of drives: external Intel, Crucial and Samsung SSDs and mainly Sandisk flash drives and have had no problems with any of them.

My approach to storage is that I have 5 TB of SSD on my Windows desktop which also serves as a NAS. I get 500 GB on MacBook Pros and just access the storage on the Windows desktop. Mobile devices run fine with 64 GB to 128 GB of storage because most large storage is on the NAS. You could do the same thing with the cloud. This was I don't have to plug anything into the MacBook Pros.

For those getting M1X MacBook Pros, you could just get a 512 GB SD card if you need storage that isn't particularly fast. The 512 GB cards are pretty cheap. There might even by 1 TB cards out there now.

I don't think there should be compatibility issues as long as you stick to well known brands. USB is a standard. Just avoid external enclosures (where you can convert an internal drive into external), as some of those might use dodgy chipsets. Stick with the well known brands like WD, Seagate, Sandisk, Samsung, etc and you'll be fine.

Next thing to consider is the file system. Most drives will have NTFS out of the box because majority of buyers are Windows users. You just have to re-format it to APFS (is it's an SSD) or HFS (if it's a regular spinning drive) using Disk Utility.

I've not had problems with particular hardware, but I have had horrible problems with the software that comes with drives. E.g., several years ago I purchased a Seagate drive specifically marketed for the Mac, and my Mac started crashing repeatedly. We eventually tracked it down to the backup software that came with the drive. Once I removed the software from my Mac, and wiped the drive and reformatted it from scratch, I was fine.

So my advice with any 3rd-party drive would be to wipe and reformat it using Disk Utility, and not use any of their software. If you want backup software (e.g., to create a bootable cloned backup), get Carbon Copy Cloner.

That extra 8GB of RAM will come in handy at some point regardless of if you really need it or not so it's really not wasted and over the life of the computer, it's not that much more of an added cost. Storage space is much easier to run out of, but it's also much easier to address especially since the M1 Air has TB 4 ports.

You don't have to spent a mint on expensive storage devices to get good enough storage either. I was running a 1TB library of RAW photos off of a Sandisk USB 3.1 SSD. Wasn't as fast as onboard storage, but the loss of speed wasn't noticeable. Unless you're going to be editing video, you have nothing to be remorseful about. It is what it is and that 8GB will come in handy at least some of the time.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've bought the Samsung T7 Portable SSD. I'm hoping the issues with the biometrics have been fixed.

To be honest, if I'd bought a 512GB-1TB MacBook, I don't think I would've ever used external storage, so the 256GB might force me to be more conservative on my device and keep things backed up properly.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
My work M1 is 256. I work exclusively in Onedrive. 256 is more than enough. My own M1 is a 512, because, you know, there are different use cases. 😊

The base model is perfectly good and allows me to do my job just fine. See? Different needs, different opinions.

news flash.. if the base model is 512 you aren't forced to use all of it.. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Biritto

roman.stapunov

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2018
Belarus
For an average user 256 Gb might be enough and I used my Mac mini 2018 since its launch with 256 Gb without issues, but a year ago amount of mails with Attachments started to grow and My MS Outlook started to use 50-70Gb. So I started to use Mac Cleaner to remove unnecessary attachments which I read once and do not need to have on a local disk anymore but still need to keep on server. From one side it is still enough 256 Gb but it becomes uncomfortable to pay for extra software to clean periodically. If in addition you are developer and use Xcode and other IDE then defently 256 Gb won't be enough.

Nowadays 512Gb is bare minimum for a base work.
1633786337673.png

This is how my disk usage looks like. I am just a Delivery manager who from time to time develops for fun. You may continue tell that clouds are useful. Yes they are useful and I use iCloud and external 480 Gb SSD attached, but all presentations, project plans, technical specifications, etc has higher size than before. And this is extremely uncomfortable to spent time to move files around to keep few Gb available for every day work.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
From one side it is still enough 256 Gb but it becomes uncomfortable to pay for extra software to clean periodically. If in addition you are developer and use Xcode and other IDE then defently 256 Gb won't be enough.

Nowadays 512Gb is bare minimum for a base work.
Dev here, perfectly comfortable with a 256 GB machine. I use Xcode and RubyMine, my dev folder is currently 4.63 GB, that's with three major Rails projects, dozens of C++ projects, some Crystal, Python and Godot. I keep several dumps of production databases on my machine for testing and they're definitely < 5 GB altogether.

I don't pay for any software to do any kind of cleaning, nor do I clean anything coding-related manually.
This machine is my only non-toy computer and it has all my data on it, all my photos and documents, both personal and for work.

So yeah, it's not "definitely not enough" and it's not a bare minimum.

Reactions: smirking

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Our workplace gave us 16 GB/512 GB MacBook Pro 13s and those were fine as we used development and test servers for work. It really makes the client disposable. I could get by with 256 but I like 512 because I like to play with virtual machines and sometimes do videos. I could just use an external for either of these.

Pro Apple Silicon

Suspended
Oct 1, 2021
It's not wrong, because again, there are a LOT of use cases for Macs that do not involve using local storage AT ALL.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
I bought the base 2015 15” MacBook Pro for $1799 in 2015 (Best Buy sale). 2.2GHz, 16GB, 256GB SSD. It wasn’t until this past year that I really ran out of meaningful space (down to 23GB free). Before that time I did not really need anything larger. If you need more out of the gate, then you buy it, if you don’t, then you don’t. I’m not the only one who has done just fine on 256GB of space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.