Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al2813

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Belgium
Well my LG 5k has arrived and honestly at the price I got it (and - at least in this part of Europe - you can get them for this price), it's a no-brainer. A third of the price of the Mac Studio Display and it's plug and play retina screen.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
My iMac just failed me after 7 years. LOVE the 5k panel - currently sitting behind a 27" 4k connected to my MacBook and I just can't get on with it. To many the difference might be minimal if anything at all, but for colour, crispness, it can't be beaten. A new Studio is on its way but I refuse to splash out £1500 on a Studio Display given its specs. I also refuse to go a couple of hundred quid less and go for the LG because the build quality is woeful. Samsung's upcoming panel looks a lot closer to the ASD than the LG so I'll wait to see what that costs. I *hope* it will be towards the LG in terms of price. The specs look really good - hopefully I'll plump for that. Otherwise, 4K it is unfortunately!

So if the LG build quality is woeful and the price is only a couple hundred less than the Studio Display, then the SD is a priced correctly.

Just drop the 1500 and buy the damn Studio Display and be done with it. Why settle, you won’t be happy and besides don’t you deserve 5k ?

Reactions: Ryand123

al2813

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Belgium
So if the LG build quality is woeful and the price is only a couple hundred less than the Studio Display, then the SD is a priced correctly.

Just drop the 1500 and buy the damn Studio Display and be done with it. Why settle, you won’t be happy and besides don’t you deserve 5k ?

I am based in Europe and not in the US, but i just looked on ebay and there are plenty of LG 5K screens (second hand or refurbished) going for 650-700 USD.

Ryand123

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2013
Well, their 4k version is on sale for just over $4k US. So…

I’m hoping Apple updates the Pro Display HDR soon.
I believe that's their 8K monitor.

So of course the 6K one will be cheaper.

And it has a BUILT IN STAND with HEIGHT ADJUSTABILITY at NO EXTRA CHARGE!!!!

I just don't understand some companies.........

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
I believe that's their 8K monitor.

So of course the 6K one will be cheaper.

And it has a BUILT IN STAND with HEIGHT ADJUSTABILITY at NO EXTRA CHARGE!!!!

I just don't understand some companies.........
Yes, they have a new 8k for 4g’s. (Didn’t see it before) But I’m looking at pro monitors.

$1,000 for a stand. Well compare the Apple display to a $20,000 monitor, it’s still a bargain.

Buying the wheels separately for the Mac Pro is $700, the feet are $300. But man, those are top of the line wheels, and that stand is top of the line. (Please note, if you wish to calibrate your sarcasm meter it should be pegged. But that is a nice set of wheels and monitor stand).

Last edited:

Ryand123

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2013
Can the MacBook Pro or Studio drive an 8K display?
I think the Studio can because Thunderbolt 4 can. IHow well though......I'm not sure. And I doubt the MBP would stand a chance. That's the problem. 8K displays probably still aren't ready for prime time. I hope soon.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Can the MacBook Pro or Studio drive an 8K display?

Well the Studio is rated to drive four XDR Pros plus a 4k monitor, the MacBook Pros have two and three TB4 ports. The Dell requires two Display Port connections so… The only potential problem is drivers and control. Dell list graphics cards that it is compatible with so it’s a toss up.

You spend a few thousand on a Studio or MacBook Pro, if your spending $4k on a monitor, spend $5k on a XDR Pro Display that you know works.

Ryand123

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2013
Well the Studio is rated to drive four XDR Pros plus a 4k monitor, the MacBook Pros have two and three TB4 ports. The Dell requires two Display Port connections so… The only potential problem is drivers and control. Dell list graphics cards that it is compatible with so it’s a toss up.

You spend a few thousand on a Studio or MacBook Pro, if your spending $4k on a monitor, spend $5k on a XDR Pro Display that you know works.
True....although if I had the cash to throw around I might buy Dell's 8K monitor, test it to see if it works and return if it doesn't and get the XDR display. I have to imagine an 8K 32 inch monitor looks incredible. 280 ppi.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
True....although if I had the cash to throw around I might buy Dell's 8K monitor, test it to see if it works and return if it doesn't and get the XDR display. I have to imagine an 8K 32 inch monitor looks incredible. 280 ppi.
I'd give it a go for sure. It's way cheaper than the XDR. But I'm not at all confident that the M1 Max can drive this monitor in addition to my ASDs (or even alone for that matter).

Reactions: Vankum8369

JaredAppleHead

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2023
I researched this a lot. It turns out, it’s not the monitor size that matters, nor the resolution, it’s the PPI (pixels per inch). Mac OS runs best at 110 ppi or 220 ppi. Any ppi too far from that and it will look markedly worse than any apple display or take a performance hit as your comp has to calculate scaling. You can find youtube videos where people got rid of big 4k 27 or 32 inch montiors with Mac OS because the resolution at that size doesnt work well. The ppi is in the 160 to 180 range. Bad for MacOS. When I saw this all of a sudden the world made sense. This is why the imac is 24 inch and 4.5k. About 218 ppi. It’s why the 27 inch ASD is 5k and the 32 inch Pro one is 6k. It’s not just for resolution, it’s because that resolution is a perfect match for monitor size to get to about 220 ppi, which is natural for MacOS. This is why nothing looks as good as apple displays with macs, it’s hardware built for the software. For example, some human might imagine that a 4.5k monitor at 32 inches will look like an imac screen only bigger. That human would be wrong because the ppi will be much less, it will look worse and the extra screen real estate will feel lower quality and might take more processor for scaling. That same human might imagine that higher resolution is just always better. Nope, if you have a monitor that is like 180ppi it might be better to actually reduce the resolution so that it ends up at 110 ppi for max perfomance and still decent resolution. There are whole articles about this.

Advice: For any monitor you are looking at buying, put the size and resolution into a PPI calculator website. Go for 110 (to save a bunch of money) or 220 for the best view that matches MacOS. It doesnt have to be exact, just close. Not close to those numbers = bad for MacOS.

This is all theory for me right now, all based on what I read in other people’s experiences and research and calculations. I never in my life thought I would be this nerdy about it. But I feel like I uncovered the answer to some hidden mystery. I actually find this a relief because there are so few big monitors at 220 ppi, and the price is not so far from apple displays. Right now I am thinking to just wait for ASDv2 which will prob be same size and ppi as v1, but with 120hz. That’s a display configuration that will look amazing without any performance slow and prob last me for 15 years.

Maybe. I could be wrong about all of this, but when I found out about the ppi thing it felt like I cracked the da vinci code for monitors.
This is very interesting and I'm trying to understand it. So would a 32" Monitor with 140 PPI be better than 27" with 163 PPI since it's closer to 110 PPI or would the 27" with 163 PPI be better than the 32" 140 PPI because it's closer to 220 PPI!!??

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
This is very interesting and I'm trying to understand it. So would a 32" Monitor with 140 PPI be better than 27" with 163 PPI since it's closer to 110 PPI or would the 27" with 163 PPI be better than the 32" 140 PPI because it's closer to 220 PPI!!??
No. 163 ppi is better than 110 ppi IMO. 140 ppi sucks.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
ha ok so basically higher PPI the better?
No. Like I said, I think 140 PPI sucks. I’d rather run 100 ppi at native than 140 ppi scaled. Most wouldn’t want to run 140 ppi at native resolution because the text is too small so people would run it scaled, but the scaled text quality is terrible at normal desktop seating distances. 140 ppi is a very awkward pixel density for macOS. However, YMMV.

OTOH, scaled text quality at normal seating distances at 163 ppi is decent. Not awesome, but decent. It’s even better at 180 and up. 220 is even better BUT Apple for some reason removes some resolution options on its own products which can make things awkward too. So, I actually like my 163 ppi screen more than my 220 ppi iMac. I would actually prefer to run 2304x1296 on a 27” screen instead of the usual 2560x1440 on my 220 ppi 5K 27” iMac but for some stupid reason Apple disallows this. The only way to do it is to run third party software to create custom resolution settings. However, strangely enough macOS offers 2304x1296 on third party 163 ppi 4K 27” screens.

In my case, I run 2304x1536 on my 163 ppi 4K+ 28.2” 3:2 screen. And yes macOS offers this resolution without hacks.

Last edited:
Reactions: JaredAppleHead

JaredAppleHead

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2023
No. Like I said, I think 140 PPI sucks. I’d rather run 100 ppi at native than 140 ppi scaled. Most wouldn’t want to run 140 ppi at native resolution because the text is too small so people would run it scaled, but the scaled text quality is terrible at normal desktop seating distances. 140 ppi is a very awkward pixel density for macOS. However, YMMV.

OTOH, scaled text quality at normal seating distances at 163 ppi is decent. Not awesome, but decent. It’s even better at 180 and up. 220 is even better BUT Apple for some reason removes some resolution options on its own products which can make things awkward too. So, I actually like my 163 ppi screen more than my 220 ppi iMac. I would actually prefer to run 2304x1296 on a 27” screen instead of the usual 2560x1440 on my 220 ppi 5K 27” iMac but for some stupid reason Apple disallows this. The only way to do it is to run third party software to create custom resolution settings. However, strangely enough macOS offers 2304x1296 on third party 163 ppi 4K 27” screens.

In my case, I run 2304x1536 on my 163 ppi 4K+ 28.2” 3:2 screen. And yes macOS offers this resolution without hacks.
What 163 ppi 4K 27" are you using? What 27"-32" Monitor would you recommend for Mac Studio M2? Thanks!

Reactions: Vankum8369

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
What 163 ppi 4K 27" are you using? What 27"-32" Monitor would you recommend for Mac Studio M2? Thanks!
It really depends on what you need it for. As mentioned I’m not running a 4K 27” screen. Check my sig for the 4K+ 28.2” Huawei I’m using, but it’s the same 163 ppi.

However, it has its own problems, like some light falloff at the edges when viewed from the centre, partially because of its matte surface design and partially because of its backlighting. The other issue is that it was miscalibrated out of the factory so I bought a SpyderX Pro calibrator. After calibration the colours are excellent.

Note though I don’t do much photo manipulation and do no video. Given that you have a Mac Studio, you likely have much different needs than I do. I’m running an M1 Mac mini for mostly business type usage. It replaced a 220 ppi 2017 27” iMac and a 2014 Intel Mac mini with 100 ppi 30” Apple Cinema HD Display.

I also tried a 32” 140 ppi screen and it was atrocious for text at a 22” seating distance.

Reactions: JaredAppleHead

JaredAppleHead

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2023
It really depends on what you need it for. As mentioned I’m not running a 4K 27” screen. Check my sig for the 4K+ 28.2” Huawei I’m using, but it’s the same 163 ppi.

However, it has its own problems, like some light falloff at the edges when viewed from the centre, partially because of its matte surface design and partially because of its backlighting. The other issue is that it was miscalibrated out of the factory so I bought a SpyderX Pro calibrator. After calibration the colours are excellent.

Note though I don’t do much photo manipulation and do no video. Given that you have a Mac Studio, you likely have much different needs than I do. I’m running an M1 Mac mini for mostly business type usage. It replaced a 220 ppi 2017 27” iMac and a 2014 Intel Mac mini with 100 ppi 30” Apple Cinema HD Display.

I also tried a 32” 140 ppi screen and it was atrocious for text at a 22” seating distance.
Ah gotcha thanks for the info!

JaredAppleHead

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2023
Having now gone from 1x 30" Apple Cinema Display to 2x 4k 32" BenQ monitors I have to report: people who say native 1440p monitors are sharper or that the text is clearer vs any scaled resolution on the 4K monitor are crazy
Ok thanks so you're loving the 32" BenQ's? I was thinking about getting the 27" but maybe should do 32" :)

Reactions: Sharky II
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.