Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
people like me can be strange sometimes, for example on my MacBook the "OCD" kicks in when my available space drops below 30 GB, on my iPhone it bothers me if it dropps below 20 GB (on my 64 GB iPhone) and i have to start investigating what may take up space. Same reason i restore my iPhone and do a clean install from a back up every other month. Stupid I know but it bothers me almost as much as when every word of a song on iTunes does not start with a capital letter. Things need order :D
I fully understand that, but one needs to dial back their/our OCPD when running betas!

Reactions: twinpeaks_sf

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
This gets a big "whatever" from me. This is a beta. These are the kinds of things that happen in betas. There have now been umpteen gazillion posts on it. Apple knows about it. They get a pass until public release.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This gets a big "whatever" from me. This is a beta. These are the kinds of things that happen in betas. There have now been umpteen gazillion posts on it. Apple knows about it. They get a pass until public release.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
Well, even within betas there are bigger and smaller issues.

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
If installing apps removes "other", then why not ignore it as it seems it gets removed whenever you actually need the space?
Even better if it is technically "free" space since it will allow other data to take its place, don't even tell us it is being used and create a false panic. And having to do workarounds doesn't mean something is fixed. That seems to be the attitude at our work. It's fixed if the issue doesn't occur at all anymore.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Even better if it is technically "free" space since it will allow other data to take its place, don't even tell us it is being used and create a false panic. And having to do workarounds doesn't mean something is fixed. That seems to be the attitude at our work. It's fixed if the issue doesn't occur at all anymore.

Hahaha reminds me of my work place. Director like BUT IT IS WORKING ON MY IPHONE

Yes but there r reported issues via feedback on the App Store and it’s also not working on my testing device

Director: BUT ITS WORKING ON MY IPHONE. Let’s not focus on the negative and add new feature ASAP!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If you are developing on a secondary device, yes, this is a non starter. But if you have to install the beta on your primary device, especially now that public beta is out, this is a showstopper IMO.

It is worth pointing out that similar issue happened in earlier betas. The only workaround was a clean install (setup as new), which means you may lose data on applications that cannot restore their state from the cloud.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
If you are developing on a secondary device, yes, this is a non starter. But if you have to install the beta on your primary device, especially now that public beta is out, this is a showstopper IMO.

It is worth pointing out that similar issue happened in earlier betas. The only workaround was a clean install (setup as new), which means you may lose data on applications that cannot restore their state from the cloud.

I think the official line from Apple on the language in your post that I highlighted is:

Developer beta
b7e0d543af901036d4517e2306de874f.jpg

Public beta
63fb99f5666e3e283b093c049f702cb4.jpg

There are very, very few people who have to install the beta on their primary phone. I know there are probably some developers who lack the means to have a second phone for development, but I suspect that this is a pretty small group of people.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I think the official line from Apple on the language in your post that I highlighted is:

Developer beta
b7e0d543af901036d4517e2306de874f.jpg

Public beta
63fb99f5666e3e283b093c049f702cb4.jpg

There are very, very few people who have to install the beta on their primary phone. I know there are probably some developers who lack the means to have a second phone for development, but I suspect that this is a pretty small group of people.
iOS is in beta and show stopper bugs naturally exist in beta. No one is arguing this isn't a risk to using a beta OS especially on your primary device.

But dismissing a major storage leak as a "it's a big "whatever" from me" is also too blasé. I strongly recommend not using iOS 14 beta until this bug is fixed. Your only likely recourse is to clean install OS.

Natzoo

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Its taken 30gb in "other" on my xsmax, hoping future releases fixes it. If not I got 120gb free so not too worried.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
iOS is in beta and show stopper bugs naturally exist in beta. No one is arguing this isn't a risk to using a beta OS especially on your primary device.

But dismissing a major storage leak as a "it's a big "whatever" from me" is also too blasé. I strongly recommend not using iOS 14 beta until this bug is fixed. Your only likely recourse is to clean install OS.

If this were really a huge issue (and it does not appear to be for most) your most likely recourse is to restore to iOS 13 using the archived backup you made before you upgraded to iOS 14. If you don’t know how to do that or didn’t make said backup, then, sure, you should not run this beta. But that’s the case for every major release beta on iOS.

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
This large “other” has been present in multiple iOS beta releases over the years. This is definitely not new to iOS 14.

It certainly isn't new, I know its been a thing since as far back as iOS 10. But I think it's particularly bad this year with some devices

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
people like me can be strange sometimes, for example on my MacBook the "OCD" kicks in when my available space drops below 30 GB, on my iPhone it bothers me if it dropps below 20 GB (on my 64 GB iPhone) and i have to start investigating what may take up space. Same reason i restore my iPhone and do a clean install from a back up every other month. Stupid I know but it bothers me almost as much as when every word of a song on iTunes does not start with a capital letter. Things need order :D
haha same. except it's 80-100gb for the Mac. I like having tons of free space because SSDs love free space.

Robbo02

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
Mine was fixed by plugging in and syncing with laptop..... wasn't intentional just noticed it happened.

twinpeaks_sf

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2015
Lamorinda, CA, USA
Plugged my iPad with the iPadOS 14 beta (2) into my Mac. Finder initially showed a ton of space in the ‘Photos’ category, but after a few minutes showed a reasonable storage breakdown — no crazy 125gb of ‘Other’ as displayed on the iPad itself. I think this is a reporting/UI bug but the space is actually there.

Filed a Feedback and letting it be.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
The Other contains analytics and system logs/caches etc for Apple and developer to improve the beta/app during the beta cycle. It will decrease gradually each subsequent beta. When you install a beta, it enables Analytics & Improvement under Privacy settings. You’ll see numerous Analytics Data there.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
I just noticed this in macOS Catalina 10.15.5 All of a sudden a backup took a very long time. I opened About This Mac on my 2017 21.5" iMac. There's 285GB of Other there. About 1/2 my SSD. I thought it might be some kind of "placeholder" for Apple.

CNebs

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2018
Western PA
I just noticed this in macOS Catalina 10.15.5 All of a sudden a backup took a very long time. I opened About This Mac on my 2017 21.5" iMac. There's 285GB of Other there. About 1/2 my SSD. I thought it might be some kind of "placeholder" for Apple.

That’s more than likely local Time Machine backups/images. Not related to the iOS 14 “other” bug that’s been seen with betas since around iOS 10.

Reactions: Morod
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.