Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CNebs

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2018
Western PA
Thanks for the info, CNebs. I recently moved to Catalina and have never noticed this before. Sorry for intruding into iOS Land. I did a search and it brought me here.

No worries at all. Hope it helps, wish Apple would break other down some more since they know what it can be compromised of.

Reactions: Morod

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Strange my other storage went from 6.5gb, to Zero KB.

could apple be pushing out a fix without us knowing?

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
the lowest I can get my 'other' down to on my XS64gb is 10.36gb. I downloaded app after app until my phone was saying it couldn't install due to lack of space, and thats what my 'other' is showing now.

Mrjoedot

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
Asean market
had iOS13 beta at around 45 GB (including apps and files) out of 64 GB in iPX.
Now I am on iOS14 beta, it's at 59 GB usage. Normal for beta? I mean FFS, 10 GB extra, really?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If you installed iOS 14 beta on a primary device, I strongly recommend downgrading back to 13.5.1. "Others" can sometimes be permanent, requiring setting up your device as new (or restoring from the backup without the issue) to resolve. In other words, updating to future beta that fixes the issue won't necessarily fix the issue on devices that were running earlier betas.

PirateP

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Naboo Land
If you installed iOS 14 beta on a primary device, I strongly recommend downgrading back to 13.5.1. "Others" can sometimes be permanent, requiring setting up your device as new (or restoring from the backup without the issue) to resolve. In other words, updating to future beta that fixes the issue won't necessarily fix the issue on devices that were running earlier betas.
This hasn't been the case in the past.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
This hasn't been the case in the past.
It was for me on a couple of betas. It's entirely possible that future iOS 14 beta would fix the issue on devices that were running earlier betas. But it may also require "setting it up as new against new iOS 14 beta" for the problem to go away. Either way, it's a risk inherent on beta software. The fix does not need to fix the beta device.

PirateP

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Naboo Land
It was for me on a couple of betas. It's entirely possible that future iOS 14 beta would fix the issue on devices that were running earlier betas. But it may also require "setting it up as new against new iOS 14 beta" for the problem to go away. Either way, it's a risk inherent on beta software. The fix does not need to fix the beta device.
I've been downloading iOS betas for years. Has always fixed itself for me. ?‍♀️

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
No issues here zero kb other storage, has this issue been reported to apple, have they acknowledge they are working on a fix?

CNebs

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2018
Western PA
No issues here zero kb other storage, has this issue been reported to apple, have they acknowledge they are working on a fix?

I’m sure it has been since it’s been present since around iOS 10. I wonder if it contains diagnostic information for when you report bugs.

Reactions: LFC2020

CNebs

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2018
Western PA
large quantities of "other" is usually time machine local backups, that it will remove as required. Right now I have 156 GB of "other" on my 1 TB Air :D

If you use time machine, don't worry about it. The Mac will remove/reclaim backups if you get low on space.

OP is talking about iOS 14

Doth

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
I am really loving iPadOS 14 Beta 2 on my IPad Pro 2 12.9. However, my Other went from almost nothing to 125Gigs. I am still only well below half of the capacity of my 512Gigs. I think I am just going to ride it out to see if Beta 3 fixes it. Other than that, I have experienced zero bugs and it makes me want to download the Beta on my Daily Driver IPP 11”.

PirateP

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Naboo Land
Beta 3, and my storage is back to normal. Like magic! Tada!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.