Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grcar

Suspended
Sep 28, 2014
If Apple doesn't update the Mac Pro... isn't the line essentially dead? How can you continue to put your business in a defunct product. It doesn't make any sense not to update a desktop product in 3 years.

Yeah, exactly. I was talking with a recent hire at Apple in Cupertino who was not impressed with the Apple hardware: "not up to date". I wonder what Apple employees use when they need a powerful machine. Maybe buy a desktop from Dell or some rack-mounted system from a third party supplier.
[doublepost=1477171194][/doublepost]
They could resurrect the IIfx - that was an awesome machine.

I did have a IIfx.

In the whole history of Apple, though, the two best machines were the Quadra and the Aluminum body Mac Pro.

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Given they use some custom form factor PCB for the Dx00 series in the 2013 Mac Pro, I wonder if they'll stick with the same pinout this time; enabling current 2013 Mac Pro users the ability to upgrade if they can get their hands on the cards?

Reactions: p.l

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Apple has thoroughly earned a highly-skeptical view of its interest in anything other than iCandy.

If they demonstrate otherwise (the car fiasco, for example, might prompt them to reassess their base competency), I'll take a look. But even then, what should we hope for? A few new ports, a bump in graphics, and another 3 year wait for the next dribble of whatever the two janitors who Apple has apparently assigned to the Mac Pro limp out the back door, if anything? Not good enough! Some new form of "courage"? No, sorry, but Steve's RDF made for a good ride while it lasted, but those days now feel definitively over.

I'm most of the way out the door. Demonstrate real, old-school, commitment (not a justly-ridiculed "my ass"-style sound-bite) and maybe, just maybe, I'll consider if Apple is worthy of renewed attention.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
What would the MacPro specs possibly be if it were released in 5 days?

Broadwell-E with Xeon chips and ECC memory and an updated AMD GPU with Thunderbolt 3?

Reactions: mrxak

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Given there will be a FCPX announcement, surely....SURELY!!! We will get some news on the FCPX box that is the nMP.

Surely.
It's coming..hopefully...chances are more likely. Mac Pro and fcpx are buddies.
According to Macworld, an internal source stated there will be by November at latest.
[doublepost=1477193095][/doublepost]
Apple has thoroughly earned a highly-skeptical view of its interest in anything other than iCandy.

If they demonstrate otherwise (the car fiasco, for example, might prompt them to reassess their base competency), I'll take a look. But even then, what should we hope for? A few new ports, a bump in graphics, and another 3 year wait for the next dribble of whatever the two janitors who Apple has apparently assigned to the Mac Pro limp out the back door, if anything? Not good enough! Some new form of "courage"? No, sorry, but Steve's RDF made for a good ride while it lasted, but those days now feel definitively over.

I'm most of the way out the door. Demonstrate real, old-school, commitment (not a justly-ridiculed "my ass"-style sound-bite) and maybe, just maybe, I'll consider if Apple is worthy of renewed attention.
New 5k "courage" logo when you turn Mac Pro on. No more Apple logo .

grcar

Suspended
Sep 28, 2014

I do not understand how they expect to make enough money from watches to justify the development time and retail space.

Another mystery is the iCloud. They sell cameras (phones) with a gazillion pixels, but everything goes to the cloud which compresses (coarsens) the images. And they charge for cloud space! For the cost of a year's storage you can buy terabytes of space down here on earth.

Jaho101

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2007
What would the MacPro specs possibly be if it were released in 5 days?

Broadwell-E with Xeon chips and ECC memory and an updated AMD GPU with Thunderbolt 3?

The Skylake platform for Xeons seems like it will be great for actual servers, but as far as workstations go those extra features won't be a huge boost. The GPU is the bigger question.

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
Another mystery is the iCloud. And they charge for cloud space! For the cost of a year's storage you can buy terabytes of space down here on earth.

i think the icloud is another igrab! Apple is trying to grab everything from icars, to iwatches! I would never want my property or a clients on someone's hard drive. Not to mention data will be based on internet speeds. So if your data is on icloud and your internet is down, is that Apple raining on your parade? :p

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
I would really hate to be a professional that relies on Apple hardware.

I use a lot of Dell hardware (clients and servers) and so have signed an NDA with Dell so I can see their roadmaps and plans for the next 5 years so I can plan out my purchases and upgrades and not be surprised when I want to buy another batch of machines and find out they use new hardware.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
If, after Thursday and there's no word on an updated Mac Pro, professionals should be racing to remove their reliance on Apple hardware. It's inexcusable Apple hasn't said anything about an updated Mac Pro in almost three years.
Tim: (reading MR posts) "gulp...what have I got myself into?"

grcar

Suspended
Sep 28, 2014
Tim: (reading MR posts) "don't waste my time with this - those guys are less that 0.1% of our profits. Next topic, the trending watch band colors."

Obviously watch bands really make Tim's heart race. He knows because he can check it on his wrist thingy.

Here's another idea: instead of a watch, you could make a little rectangular box to put in your shirt or back pocket. Should I patent this?

JimGoshorn

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
NY
Here's another idea: instead of a watch, you could make a little rectangular box to put in your shirt or back pocket. Should I patent this?
That would be the new iDefribulator, the latest addition to Healthkit to assist people trying to deal with all the traumatic stuff the 4 Amigos are doing with Apple products:eek:

Reactions: mrxak and AidenShaw

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
With 4 days left I would have been with apple to pull it off. But that would have been many years ago for a "different" apple. With all the $ they have it would be more fun to make the masses say "WOW"! "WOW"! "Now that's what I call a Mac pro!" On Thursday people will be saying, "WOW"! "Now that's what I call 3 unproductive years"!

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
With 4 days left I would have been with apple to pull it off. But that would have been many years ago for a "different" apple. With all the $ they have it would be more fun to make the masses say "WOW"! "WOW"! "Now that's what I call a Mac pro!" On Thursday people will be saying, "WOW"! "Now that's what I call 3 unproductive years"!
I think this kind of problem could have been prevented if they allow us to upgrade.

Reactions: tuxon86 and mrxak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.