Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rafzamz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2021
For several months now, if you’ve been keeping an eye on what Asus is up to, you’ll have seen, as we have, that the brand is seriously beefing up the ProArt family. Taking advantage of Computex, the company has added yet another layer by presenting three new monitors aimed at the professional market.

We’ve already mentioned the PA32KCX, a 32″ 8K monitor featuring a mini LED panel and integrated colorimeter. The PA27JCV ProArt 5K monitor with 218 ppi and 27″ panel makes its first appearance at Computex 2024. Similarly, the PA32QCV with 6K on a 32-inch panel offers the same pixel density.

Not glossy, but Asus are promoting the screens ‘LuxPixel’ AGLR (Anti-glare, low reflection) screen coating which creates a “paper like” effect that minimizes distracting reflections and glare even in well-lit rooms.

Edit: Video of the monitors at Computex 2024:

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeboss

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Looking at the 32" 6k panel...

Asus lists the resolution at
6016 × 3384

Scaled to "retina", this would yield a display that "looks like"
3008 x 1692

IPS.

This is how Apple's 6k display works, is that correct?
The Apple display was never something I'd consider, too much money for just casual usage.

Perhaps the Asus display will be priced more competitively...

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021

6016 × 3384

3008 x 1692

IPS.

The Apple display was never something I'd consider, too much money for just casual usage.

That's absolutely correct. I have Dell 6K (U3224KB), and it's 6144x3456, so the default "looks like" resolution is 3072x1728.

By the way, the Dell is under $2,000 right now on Amazon. For casual usage, that's a heck of a great price. Downside is that it's a matte display.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
I'll also add that the 8K on a 32-inch is probably overkill, or at the very least is not ideal. Typical pixel doubling for the looks like resolution will be too small (the ideal ppl is 6K on a 32-inch display), and if you go up to the equivalent looks like resolution that you'd use with a 6K, it sorta defeats the purpose and also introduces fractional scaling, which some believe taxes the gpu and/or doesn't look as good.

But if you want to do 1920x1080 on a 32-inch, the 8K is perfect because it's pixel "quadrupling."

However, it'll be a big question mark whether the Mac will support the display. Not sure how the Asus 8K is in terms of inputs, but the Dell 8K (the only one currently available) requires two displayport connections. The only Macs that support this are the various Macs with M2 Pros or greater, and you use up 2 Thunderbolt ports (one TB to DP connection for each port).

8K is better for a 40-inch display IMHO.

Reactions: poorcody

JaredJenkinsDesign

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2022
Interesting. Glad to see some more high PPI display options as it seems like there's been a ton of OLED gaming monitors lately. Will be interesting to see how the 32" 6K compares to the Dell. At least it doesn't have that hideous camera which is a plus already.

However, it'll be a big question mark whether the Mac will support the display. Not sure how the Asus 8K is in terms of inputs, but the Dell 8K (the only one currently available) requires two displayport connections. The only Macs that support this are the various Macs with M2 Pros or greater, and you use up 2 Thunderbolt ports (one TB to DP connection for each port).

I was curious about that as well. My guess is that you'll be able to connect it with HDMI 2.1 to get the 8K resolution with one cable for the Macs that have that. Not sure about the Macs that have HDMI 2.0 like my M1 Mac.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Michael.S

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
Interesting. Glad to see some more high PPI display options as it seems like there's been a ton of OLED gaming monitors lately. Will be interesting to see how the 32" 6K compares to the Dell. At least it doesn't have that hideous camera which is a plus already.

I was curious about that as well. My guess is that you'll be able to connect it with HDMI 2.1 to get the 8K resolution with one cable for the Macs that have that. Not sure about the Macs that don't have HDMI 2.0 like my M1 Max Mac.

That's a good point... I forgot that my Mini M2 Pro has an HDMI 2.1 port that can support 8K resolution...

marcosh

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2021
Announcements without prices are frustrating. Samsung went ages before announcing prices and availability on its 5K (which turned out to be meh anyway). I hope we don’t wait as long here.

Reactions: MikeDr206

Dark-Signature

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2022
Next year I will have been using my 5K Dell (real 5K, i.e. 5120x2880) for 10 years. In the meantime, I've added 2x ASDs, but the Dell is still great!

There is currently only one alternative for me if the price were right, namely the Dell UltraSharp 32 8K monitor - UP3218K, if the monitor were under €2000. All other alternatives either have a matt coating (which ruins the display quality) or the prices are beyond 3000€.

A 32" glossy 6/7/8K display with 120Hz would be nice. Let's wait for Thunderbolt 5.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Michael.S

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2014
I dont mind matte screen.
Currently using 2 30" ACDs which have matte screens as well.
But I miss TB on the P32QCV.
It should have it as I want to use a monitor as a dock.

whwang

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
There is no manufacturer that produces 36" panels with 8K. It remains at 32"!
I know that. It's frustrating. There are 8K panels larger than 50" and there are also 32" ones. I hope soon there will be some filling the gap there.

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
Hope that 6K comes soon !
I don't understand that when you see all the TVs coming out, there is such a poor choice for 5K/6K desktop displays, really don't get it (and I don't mean sh!tty extra large curved stuff)

Last edited:

Dark-Signature

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2022
Hope that 6K comes soon !
I don't understand that when you see all the TVs coming out, there is such a poour choice for 5K/6K desktop displays, really don't get it (and I don't mean sh!tty extra large curved stuff)
I have the Dell UltraSharp U4021QW (40" curved, matte coating, 5120x2160, 140PPI) in my holiday home and I don't want a curved anymore, because with this monitor the quality-reducing effect of the matte coating in combination with the curved screen is always present, namely that one side always (no matter how you sit) gets this grey haze through the matte coating. I prefer glossy 10,000 times over and it also has a much better contrast, which I can fortunately see with my real 5K monitors (218PPI) in the office.

whwang

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
sale date?

my guess: never

In the past few years. there are other companies who announced a high resolution (> 4K) monitor in some exhibition and then never actually sells it. Asus is not going to be the only one.

• Sad
Reactions: 153957

Ricebucket

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2004
my guess: never

In the past few years. there are other companies who announced a high resolution (> 4K) monitor in some exhibition and then never actually sells it. Asus is not going to be the only one.
there's already a model number and promotional video

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

6016 × 3384

3008 x 1692

IPS.

Hopefully macOS works properly with this resolution. Sometimes if it's not a resolution Apple has 'planned on', there can be problems with certain scaling levels.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Hopefully macOS works properly with this resolution. Sometimes if it's not a resolution Apple has 'planned on', there can be problems with certain scaling levels.
I’d agree that if it’s not an existing Apple resolution, I would look into how good it looks after scaling. However, in this case the reported Asus resolution seems to be the same as the Apple Pro Display XDR: “
Hopefully macOS would work really well with it.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
I’d agree that if it’s not an existing Apple resolution, I would look into how good it looks after scaling. However, in this case the reported Asus resolution seems to be the same as the Apple Pro Display XDR: “
Hopefully macOS would work really well with it.

Interestingly, the Dell 6k monitor has a different resolution than the Pro Display XDR, and thankfully plays well with MacOS.

Reactions: Brian33

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
It is time to get a new monitor, it has been years since my last monitor update and I am out of touch. I am wondering if this ASUS monitor will work with My Mac Studio?

Screenshot 2024-08-15 at 07.05.48.png

It has this feature that will work great with my present setup.

Screenshot 2024-08-15 at 07.12.09.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.