Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
In my part of the world the iPhone is so popular it's less of a status symbol these days. I see more older devices than new, so feel the hype has subsided in recent years. I'm sure some people like yourself are passionate about it and conscious of the admiration you think you're getting for having a new iPhone but I think that's more reserved for tech enthusiasts these days.

Its nothing to do with the status of having an iPhone, its the fact that they are selling a massively overpriced rehash of an old design whilst showing that they can make something much better and comparable to the competition.

I think that the iPhone 7's sales numbers from last quarter prove that consumers aren't really tired of the old design. The exciting thing to see will be if OLED, wireless charging, a screen without bezels and more will push average consumers to shell out more for the premium model.

Thats a year old iPhone though. People were still unhappy that apple had just used the same design for the 7 but there was nothing better on the horizon and people need to upgrade. When apple show their capabilities in the 8, the 7S will look like the outdated and overpriced phone it really is.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
I'm sure some people like yourself are passionate about it and conscious of the admiration you think you're getting for having a new iPhone but I think that's more reserved for tech enthusiasts these days.

Heh. No. I just recently upgraded to the SE because it was the practical, value for money choice for me, and I'm very happy with it too. But part of that decision I guess was based on the certain knowledge that the "8" would be priced beyond anything I could justify paying, even as a long term iPhone customer, and that the 7S would be a poor value compromise that wasn't worth waiting for.

In an ideal world, this close to launch day, yes I probably would have waited to see what genuinely new thing Apple might tempt me with - not for the status but because like most iPhone customers I like cool new things. But this year I feel like apple are intent on making "new" into some kind of ultra-premium niche, in the expectation that the rest of us will still pay premium prices for last years warmed-overs again, and I'm not going to play that game.

The SE is itself a compromise, but one that's much more reasonably weighted in my favour.

ForumChick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
USA
Its nothing to do with the status of having an iPhone, its the fact that they are selling a massively overpriced rehash of an old design whilst showing that they can make something much better and comparable to the competition.

Thats a year old iPhone though. People were still unhappy that apple had just used the same design for the 7 but there was nothing better on the horizon and people need to upgrade. When apple show their capabilities in the 8, the 7S will look like the outdated and overpriced phone it really is.

Most average consumers want a phone that works. The danger of releasing a redesign with a "regular" model is the average consumers value perception. If people really care about OLED, no bezels, face ID why don't they just get an s8? They don't, because the iPhone will always appeal to the less tech-literate crowd.

Reactions: Vanilla35

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Heh. No. I just recently upgraded to the SE because it was the practical, value for money choice for me, and I'm very happy with it too. But part of that decision I guess was based on the certain knowledge that the "8" would be priced beyond anything I could justify paying, even as a long term iPhone customer, and that the 7S would be a poor value compromise that wasn't worth waiting for.

In an ideal world, this close to launch day, yes I probably would have waited to see what genuinely new thing Apple might tempt me with - not for the status but because like most iPhone customers I like cool new things. But this year I feel like apple are intent on making "new" into some kind of ultra-premium niche, in the expectation that the rest of us will still pay premium prices for last years warmed-overs again, and I'm not going to play that game.

The SE is itself a compromise, but one that's much more reasonably weighted in my favour.
I compromised last year when I upgraded from the iPhone 6 to the 6S. I saw a very slightly better 6S marketed as the all new iPhone 7 but with a £200 premium on my existing contract. I felt like Apple were taking the piss to be honest. I was expecting a new design as I was on that cycle and we seemed to get a filler phone because they couldn't get the iPhone 8 ready on time.

They've had a hell of a lot of pressure as Samsung have really ramped up their hardware in the last 3 years and now it looks like we are finally getting a phone on par with the competition, but Apple have added a rather arrogant spin by slapping an extra premium price on it. We are mugs really as people will buy it and prove Apple right. I'll probably upgrade next year but buy this years device on a cheaper tariff. The iPhone 6S proved to be no less inferior than an iPhone 7 and has changed my buying preferences going forward.

My wife bought the SE too due to its size. She hated her iPhone 6 and is now hoping we'll see another compact iPhone as she couldn't care less about fancy features. If all you do is email, texting, calling and social media, it doesn't really matter how shiny the device is.

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
I think you guys are way overthinking it. It will be similar to the iPads lineup, there will be a Pro model and standard model. Only the standard model with this will actually have upgrades with a new glass back and that new copper gold colour (the average consumer only cares about this stuff). It will have some of the iPhone 8’s features, like wireless charging, faster processor, better cameras etc. The 8 will have the fresh new design and sizing with some Pro features like ProMotion, better screen and better cameras for AR. So like I said, it will be similar to the new 10.5 iPad compared to the more affordable 9.7. Outside of us tech geeks, most people don’t care about all of that extra stuff, they will get it because it’s still a new iPhone and the new colours and glass finish along with the usual upgrades will be enough for them. Also, you’re forgetting that some may not like the idea of there being no home button, so may actually prefer the 7S anyway. I’ve even seen some people say this in the forums and they’re tech geeks.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Most average consumers want a phone that works. The danger of releasing a redesign with a "regular" model is the average consumers value perception. If people really care about OLED, no bezels, face ID why don't they just get an s8? They don't, because the iPhone will always appeal to the less tech-literate crowd.

No. Just because Samsung has an OLED smart phone isn't justifiable enough to for anyone to merge over the Android because of their displays. That's an entirely different operating system and over all experience.

Most who have iPhones, are tied into Apple's ecosystem with multiple Apple products and it's highly convenient. Granted the iPhone may not have all of the Galaxy line features, but the iPhone offers its own experience with the fluidity of iOS/security, camera technology, build quality, etc.

Reactions: kazmac

ForumChick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
USA
No. Just because Samsung has an OLED smart phone isn't justifiable enough to for anyone to merge over the Android because of their displays. That's an entirely different operating system and over all experience.

Most who have iPhones, are tied into Apple's ecosystem with multiple Apple products and it's highly convenient. Granted the iPhone may not have all of the Galaxy line features, but the iPhone offers its own experience with the fluidity of iOS/security, camera technology, build quality, etc.

No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy the new premium model. Those who want a new phone and still want to stay in apple's ecosystem can buy the 7s. If it doesn't appeal to you, tough luck. Remember, the note 8 will be at least $1000+ phone.

Reactions: Sunny1990

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy the new premium model. Those who want a new phone and still want to stay in apple's ecosystem can buy the 7s. If it doesn't appeal to you, tough luck. Remember, the note 8 will be at least $1000+ phone.

Of course no one can force anyone to purchase a certain model. That's why Apple offers multiple iterations throughout their iPhone line up. However, You made the assertion that if somebody wanted an OLED display, then why would they go to Samsung and abandon Apple all together. Again, they're both completely and entirely different platforms. I don't believe in OLED display is reason enough for someone to leave Apple and go to the Galaxy line strictly for a display. Most iPhone users have many different more appreciations for the iPhone's capabilities and features just over an OLED display. As I mentioned before, it's the fluidity of iOS, the direct communication between other Apple devices, iPhones are incredibly well-made and last long passed their lifespan, and their customer service is something to consider as well.

ForumChick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
USA
Of course no one can force anyone to purchase a certain model. That's why Apple offers multiple iterations throughout their iPhone line up. However, You made the assertion that if somebody wanted an OLED display, then why would they go to Samsung and abandon Apple all together. Again, they're both completely and entirely different platforms. I don't believe in OLED display is reason enough for someone to leave Apple and go to the Galaxy line strictly for a display. Most iPhone users have many different more appreciations for the iPhone's capabilities and features just over an OLED display. As I mentioned before, it's the fluidity of iOS, the direct communication between other Apple devices, iPhones are incredibly well-made and last long passed their lifespan, and their customer service is something to consider as well.

I agree that apple has managed to acquire a very loyal fan base. My concern is that if people see the 7s right next to 8/edition/idk, it might seem old fashioned. I hope that apple is able to market the new models in a way that doesn't force loyal customers to go to Samsung for a great smartphone experience. I'm concerned for the brand, but I think next month most people will be satisfied with the options layed out at the keynote. I understand the disappoint of the cheaper model looking similar to the 7 but we will have to see

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I agree that apple has managed to acquire a very loyal fan base. My concern is that if people see the 7s right next to 8/edition/idk, it might seem old fashioned. I hope that apple is able to market the new models in a way that doesn't force loyal customers to go to Samsung for a great smartphone experience. I'm concerned for the brand, but I think next month most people will be satisfied with the options layed out at the keynote. I understand the disappoint of the cheaper model looking similar to the 7 but we will have to see
I think when you consider a lot of people put iPhones in cases with only the screen part being identifiable, it doesn't 'always' matter what the aesthetics of the phone look like. I don't know many people who put that much thought into what others think of their choice of mobile phone these days. Sure it would be nice for Apple to put some effort in this year after a disappointing 2016 in regards of bringing the wow factor, but they can't ignore those of us who want a new phone and don't want to pay MacBook money for it. It remains to be seen whether there is a significant market for an extra premium iPhone. I think this is a test year as they are reacting to the competition rather late.

I'm a pretty loyal Apple customer due to my preference to iOS. I have an Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad etc. It is in my opinion the best operating system available in terms of being fluid, intuitive and reliable. I'm not interested in Android at this point. However I am under no illusions Samsung have been ahead of Apple on hardware for a few years now. The S8 is an awesome piece of hardware and is appearing to offer 'more' than the rumoured iPhone 8 at a significantly cheaper price point. The weak part for me is the OS. I won't be moving anytime soon, but I also won't have my pants pulled down by Apple with a phone that has an unjustifiable higher price. We vote with our wallets at the end of the day and even a 7S will be a decent enough smartphone.

ForumChick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
USA
I think when you consider a lot of people put iPhones in cases with only the screen part being identifiable, it doesn't 'always' matter what the aesthetics of the phone look like. I don't know many people who put that much thought into what others think of their choice of mobile phone these days. Sure it would be nice for Apple to put some effort in this year after a disappointing 2016 in regards of bringing the wow factor, but they can't ignore those of us who want a new phone and don't want to pay MacBook money for it. It remains to be seen whether there is a significant market for an extra premium iPhone. I think this is a test year as they are reacting to the competition rather late.

I'm a pretty loyal Apple customer due to my preference to iOS. I have an Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad etc. It is in my opinion the best operating system available in terms of being fluid, intuitive and reliable. I'm not interested in Android at this point. However I am under no illusions Samsung have been ahead of Apple on hardware for a few years now. The S8 is an awesome piece of hardware and is appearing to offer 'more' than the rumoured iPhone 8 at a significantly cheaper price point. The weak part for me is the OS. I won't be moving anytime soon, but I also won't have my pants pulled down by Apple with a phone that has an unjustifiable higher price. We vote with our wallets at the end of the day and even a 7S will be a decent enough smartphone.

I'm scared that apple will go the iPad route. I will probably be purchasing the 7s due to price. Apple slashed down the price of the iPad(cheaper) and this is why sales of iPad went up this year. But it also has a slower processor, no promotion ( unlike the pro.) if apple is focused on making a budget phone(cheaper but not same specs) I will be disappointed. If the 7s doesn't have the a11 chip, I seriously might go somewhere else.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'm scared that apple will go the iPad route. I will probably be purchasing the 7s due to price. Apple slashed down the price of the iPad(cheaper) and this is why sales of iPad went up this year. But it also has a slower processor, no promotion ( unlike the pro.) if apple is focused on making a budget phone(cheaper but not same specs) I will be dissapointed. If the 7s doesn't have the a11 chip, I seriously might go somewhere else.
I've always viewed iPads differently. They don't need to be replaced every year or even every 2 years. The changes are subtle. My iPad Air is coming up to 4 years old and it's only now I'm looking to change it.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
will the release of both a budget and premium model be disastrous for Apple's brand?

The iPhone 8 OLED is also $1,000 plus. I don't think there will be a 7s. There are enough changes in all models for a new number scheme. I'm going with iPhone 8, 8+, OLED 8 Pro. The vast majority of sales will be the plus model. I don't see OLED sales really ramping up until 2018 Q2.

Apple will sell a record amount of iPhones over the next year (Q1-Q4). The changes to the LCD phones are substantial and attractive, IMO.

So, no. Choice will be a good thing this cycle in a big way. :apple:

ForumChick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
USA
The iPhone 8 OLED is also $1,000 plus. I don't think there will be a 7s. There are enough changes in all models for a new number scheme. I'm going with iPhone 8, 8+, OLED 8 Pro. The vast majority of sales will be the plus model. I don't see OLED sales really ramping up until 2018 Q2.

Apple will sell a record amount of iPhones over the next year (Q1-Q4). The changes to the LCD phones are substantial and attractive, IMO.

So, no. Choice will be a good thing this cycle in a big way. :apple:

I'm planning on purchasing the 7s/non premium phone. I'm very worried about consumer perception. People on these forums are obviously not happy about the lineup next month. Is MacRumors a microcosm of the real world perception next month?

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
I think I'll be getting the 8 (OLED) model. My reason for this are the significant upgrades in most areas compared to the 7, and due to me already securing someone to buy my 7 off me. I tend to upgrade each year cause I like having the newest phone. Now, I can't afford £900 or £1000 outright, even once I end up getting £400 for my 7, so I plan to pay it up via the Upgrade Program.

Alternatively, if the 7s is a good step forward I'll go with that as it'll be around the price I usually pay and so I'll buy it outright, although it'll look and be inferior to the 8 in almost every way and so that'll probably push me to the 8 anyway tbh.

You may be thinking "so why not get the S8, it has most/all the features the iPhone 8 will?" It has many of them but the main reason I don't get one is cause I feel Samsung half ass their products and features (evidence - the Iris scanner and Face scanning on the S8) and it simply doesn't work as well with my other devices such as my iPad, MBP, etc.

Nevertheless, it'll all be much clearer once Apple announces and we get our options laid out in front of us. Either way, this is the biggest changes ever coming to the iPhone lineup and I look forward to it.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
It's just occurred to me, one group of customers that may really be shafted by Apple this year is those on the official upgrade programme.

The whole point of that (as I understood it) was to get put straight onto the latest greatest iPhone each year - but presumably this year, those customers will he expected to take a 7S and lump it, while only those who pay extra get the genuinely latest and greatest 8 (or whatever it will be called).

That will undoubtedly p*ss a lot of people off.

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
It's just occurred to me, one group of customers that may really be shafted by Apple this year is those on the official upgrade programme.

The whole point of that (as I understood it) was to get put straight onto the latest greatest iPhone each year - but presumably this year, those customers will he expected to take a 7S and lump it, while only those who pay extra get the genuinely latest and greatest 8 (or whatever it will be called).

That will undoubtedly p*ss a lot of people off.

Nah, I think the customers who decide to trade in their phone on the Upgrade Program will get a choice as to what model and storage of iPhone they get next.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
B
Nah, I think the customers who decide to trade in their phone on the Upgrade Program will get a choice as to what model and storage of iPhone they get next.
But surely if the 8 is priced super premium (as expected) they'll be expected to pay the difference? It will no longer be a like for like swap for their current model.

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
B

But surely if the 8 is priced super premium (as expected) they'll be expected to pay the difference? It will no longer be a like for like swap for their current model.

Oh yeah they'll pay the extra if they want the better model, or if they go 7s then they'll pay about the same as they currently do.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I'm planning on purchasing the 7s/non premium phone. I'm very worried about consumer perception. People on these forums are obviously not happy about the lineup next month. Is MacRumors a microcosm of the real world perception next month?

Relax, and have a Margarita. The LCD phones will sell just fine. You have to remember where you're posting. I'm usually a Tim hater, however, I see what they are doing now. I'm on board. ;)

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The 7S is absolutely pointless for those who are already on a 7 Plus like me. Its just a 7 with a glass back and wireless charging which requires a separate purchase. I will only buy the iPhone 8 if it offers 128GB storage at $1000. If it doesnt,I am getting a OnePlus 5 and probably a Pixel 2 and switch to Android for phones whilst sticking to iOS for iPads.

I generally root for the underdog in my purchases.NVIDIA and Intel jacked up their prices on their products due to lack of competition from AMD and I had no choice but to get their products.NVIDIA has better drivers than AMD and Intel has better single core performance but still not worth the absurd $200 increase they did over a generation. Once Vega and Ryzen came out,I switched to AMD and even bought a FreeSync monitor. I also didnt like paying these huge prices for the so called "iPad Pro" when I used to get these same upgrades at a lower cost earlier but with no Android alternative to the iPad and Google giving up on tablets I have no choice.

The same thing is happening with the smartphone industry.Apple's now starting to charge absurd prices for their hardware and I am thinking its now time to go with Samsung for phones.I am a big fan of OLED displays and they have the best in the industry. The only part I hate is this ecosystem getting all disjointed. Currently my iPad,iPhone and Mac play nicely with each other and I love the integration.If I switch to Android,I will have to switch to Android Wear,iOS for iPad,Android for phone and Windows for PC.Sharing files between these devices and sync is going to be a pain.

Last edited:

ForumChick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
USA
The 7S is absolutely pointless for those who are already on a 7 Plus like me. Its just a 7 with a glass back and wireless charging which requires a separate purchase. I will only buy the iPhone 8 if it offers 128GB storage at $1000. If it doesnt,I am getting a OnePlus 5 and probably a Pixel 2 and switch to Android for phones whilst sticking to iOS for iPads.

First all iphone models this year are coming in 64 or 256 gb. Second, the pixel 2 will have a finger print sensor on the back

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
First all iphone models this year are coming in 64 or 256 gb. Second, the pixel 2 will have a finger print sensor on the back
If Apple prices the 256GB at the same price as the current 128 I have no issues with it.If there's a huge premium on storage than back to Android it is.

The fingerprint sensor location does not really bother me.On my iPhone by the middle of the day my fingers are sweaty and TouchID rarely works for me and I always end up inputting the passcode. If the Pixel has an iris scanner,I am all set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.