Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I personally do not think so:
- the advances for the iPhone 8 (primarily the OLED screen and perhaps wireless charging might only be available on this model ) will probably only exist for a single cycle to celebrate the 10th anniversary
- next year all phones should have the OLED screen and wireless charging

BUT... and this is just speculation... going OLED edge to edge on a phone the size of the current 7+ would allow them to sneak a "mini apple pencil" into the body. (The rumored iPhone Pro) And they'd probably make it capacitive so they wouldn't need a battery in it like the pencil in the iPad pro. (I know some of you will immediately begin flaming against the horror of a stylus and how they'd never do that, but remember Steve Jobs is no longer calling with us. His disdain for the need of a stylus is legendary as well as large screens and tablets, but we now have large screens, ipads and the apple pencil.)

While this is all possible, it's not expected to happen.

The real question is what they do with the line-up next year. If they make this year a preparation for next years revamped line-up, then we may see the OLED 5.8" iPhone 8's successor have "normal" features, with the 6.4" OLED iPhone Plus becoming a "Pro" device, adding a pencil, etc.

Once again, not rumored or expected, but possible.

I think the more likely outcome is that they keep what they're doing now, just add the larger plus model to the OLED lineup next year, and discontinue the 7S form factor next year.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
my Dell Tablet Android has OLED screen and I paid less than £200 for refurbished over 2 years old, nothing to excite

Almost the entirety of Android has been on OLED for years. Apple is very very late to the party. But better late than never.

Reactions: SquidRuby

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I don't understand the hype about this new "8". Oh it's going to have OLED! Great! Something that android phones have had for years. Wireless charging , again, something that android has had for a long time. No bezels! Something that android have had for years. Apple fanboys pretend to not care about fancy features until they get them. This phone is going to be revolutionary! No, it's not. OLED is not revolutionary.

The phone is revolutionary to iOS users for 1 reason

iOS

It's not in any way an upgrade if you own a S8. iOS users now get an S8 running iOS which is good for consumer choice.

I am glad that Apple is finally going OLED as I have wanted an OLED iPhone for a long time. I have faced a lot of issues with LCD.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Almost the entirety of Android has been on OLED for years. Apple is very very late to the party. But better late than never.

Apple is always "Late." But they are not about being the first to release certain technology or hardware, they are about making the experience better for the user, which usually has a some unique spin or capability they do differently.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The phone is revolutionary to iOS users for 1 reason

iOS

It's not in any way an upgrade if you own a S8. iOS users now get an S8 running iOS which is good for consumer choice.

I am glad that Apple is finally going OLED as I have wanted an OLED iPhone for a long time. I have faced a lot of issues with LCD.
That's analogous to saying a Hyundai Sonata Turbo is the same as Porsche 911 Turbo S because they have the same features (tires, steering wheel, turbo etc.), but different engines.

So no, the alleged iphone "x" is not the same as an s8 because you can check off:
- cellular capability, check
- wifi check
- etc.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Nah. I think this will help give people a new device even if they don't want to be an early adopter, don't like the way the 8 looks, etc.

I'm going to be getting a 7s if not an Android. Just my own preference in terms of the way the bezel looks.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
I personally do not think so:
- the advances for the iPhone 8 (primarily the OLED screen and perhaps wireless charging might only be available on this model ) will probably only exist for a single cycle to celebrate the 10th anniversary
- next year all phones should have the OLED screen and wireless charging

BUT... and this is just speculation... going OLED edge to edge on a phone the size of the current 7+ would allow them to sneak a "mini apple pencil" into the body. (The rumored iPhone Pro) And they'd probably make it capacitive so they wouldn't need a battery in it like the pencil in the iPad pro. (I know some of you will immediately begin flaming against the horror of a stylus and how they'd never do that, but remember Steve Jobs is no longer calling with us. His disdain for the need of a stylus is legendary as well as large screens and tablets, but we now have large screens, ipads and the apple pencil.)

Nah, anyway steve jobs didn't hate stylus', he hated the idea that you needed one to fully and effectively use the OS. This is the difference between what apple did with the pencil and what windows phones used to do. On a windows phone you needed a stylus to use it because every element was too small to use with your finger. The apple pencil is for accurate drawing on a tablet size device. Apple will never put a stylus in the iphone.

KavalierMalta

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2017
Malta
The 7s will be for those people that will not be able to afford/justify 1k+ for an iPhone.

Being that we are talking about Apple, the line up will be great as it was always.

Xayah

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2017
I am actually thinking about getting a 7s instead of an 8. The specs should be very similar, with the display being the main difference. The 7s with a lower resolution display and A11 chip will be a monster. The price will also be a few hundred $ lower, not to mention availability.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
That's analogous to saying a Hyundai Sonata Turbo is the same as Porsche 911 Turbo S because they have the same features (tires, steering wheel, turbo etc.), but different engines.

So no, the alleged iphone "x" is not the same as an s8 because you can check off:
- cellular capability, check
- wifi check
- etc.

Are you implying the S8 is the Hyundai and iPhone 8 the Porsche?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The original post was hyperbolic to begin with. You can pick whatever phone you want to be the Porsche.

They are both Porsche.

Both have bezelless curved edge OLED displays made by Samsung
Both have wireless charging
Both have iris scanners
Both have glass backs
Etc.

The iPhone 8 may have a slight edge as its new.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
They are both Porsche.

Both have bezelless curved edge OLED displays made by Samsung
Both have wireless charging
Both have iris scanners
Both have glass backs
Etc.

The iPhone 8 may have a slight edge as its new.
You have no proof of anything except "rumors" related to the next iPhone. EAch having a chip that performs some function does not make them interchangeable. They both have wifi chips so they must be the same phone. Also glass backs have been around for a few years.

Reactions: Sunny1990
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.