Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noiselessx

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2019
I am not that obsessed over the battery health indicator, but it's just that I've been trying to do "everything right" in terms of maintaining the battery and whatnot and then I get this. Not to mention that when you pay 1.4k euros (that is the price I had to pay to get the phone where I live) it is just letting me down :D

nldd

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2018
@Noiselessx - Nobody is letting you down. That's how hardware works. I've had an iPhone 7 Plus since October 2018 and the battery percentage got down to 99% in December. I checked it a few days ago and it was back to 100%.

It's not spot on.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Nobody wondering why battery statistics used to be better in older models? Why monitoring would have suddenly became worse or less accurate? It is not possible that batteries are not what they used to be? I'm just talking about my personal experience with few of my devices and to me it definitely looks like battery is not delivering the same performance as before. For example I had many years iPad AIR and battery never lost more than couple percentage capacity while my new iPad 2018 has lost about 10% in just 66 charge cycles (and I do really look after the battery and never let it run dry or even close to that). And before anyone comments on that it is just an estimation, then how come my battery life has gotten lower, for example with my last charge I got barely 3,5 hours of use when battery was down to 50%?!?! It used to last much better when it was new. I don't think battery should lost so much operating time if it is supposed to last 500 charge cycles. At this rate it will became useless pretty soon unless constantly charging it again.

Also there are two new iPhone X in our family and based on the monitoring software other one shows much better, more consistent readings and that really shows up in everyday use too (it has much longer standby and operating times. Like difference in standby time is 1-2 days with more SOT!!!). Better one uses battery very consistently and predictable way while one with worse readings do that it drops 1-2% battery pretty much every time you touch it and screen turns on. Obviously worse one is not just one with completely faulty battery since it has been replaced already once (whole phone replaced to new in retail box) but that first one had pretty much as bad battery based on monitoring software and in everyday use… :confused:

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
For what it’s worth I got my max on the 27th September and it’s still at 100%. However I’m sure I’ll have moved onto the next phone before battery life becomes a problem.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
For what it’s worth I got my max on the 27th September and it’s still at 100%. However I’m sure I’ll have moved onto the next phone before battery life becomes a problem.
I realize most peoples buy new one every year and for those that probably won't be a big problem but if reality these days is that battery life is only one year I think resale value will take a huge hit. Also as a side note, my iPad is barely 0,5 years old and battery life has already taken a huge hit. My iPhone X is under two months (actually since it has been replaced it is under 1 month) and it already has weak battery life... I guess if peoples are happy with that, this is what we'll get. Personally I've been buying these things for quality and long life time combined with long IOS support but the first two are not materializing anymore to me and last point became moot due to that. Why I want to pay huge premium for device that is practically usable for one year? Of course I like my phone to have Apple logo but seriously.

If I have understood correctly there are also batteries that are rated for 1000 charge cycles? I have understood that Apple Watch 3 has one. Just mentioning that because I've had AW3 for over a year and battery life is still exactly the same as the day I got it. No drop what so ever. I get easily 48 hours where battery hardly drops to around 40%, I can go even 72 hours without problems and still not even entering power saving mode. My point here is that maybe Apple could sell these 1000 charge cycle batteries as optional for new Phone for extra price.

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
In corded charging the electrons spin clockwise. When you use wireless charging the electrons spin counterclockwise. It’s well know that clockwise spin is better for batteries.

I have a Masters Degree in science.

:confused:
So do I but not in anything to do with batteries!!

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I have the X since it’s launch. Battery is at 100% it’s been wirelessly charged 99.999% of the time.

I put it down on the wireless charger whenever I’m not using it. It’s on the wireless charger overnight every night since I got it.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I realize most peoples buy new one every year and for those that probably won't be a big problem but if reality these days is that battery life is only one year I think resale value will take a huge hit. Also as a side note, my iPad is barely 0,5 years old and battery life has already taken a huge hit. My iPhone X is under two months (actually since it has been replaced it is under 1 month) and it already has weak battery life... I guess if peoples are happy with that, this is what we'll get. Personally I've been buying these things for quality and long life time combined with long IOS support but the first two are not materializing anymore to me and last point became moot due to that. Why I want to pay huge premium for device that is practically usable for one year? Of course I like my phone to have Apple logo but seriously.

If I have understood correctly there are also batteries that are rated for 1000 charge cycles? I have understood that Apple Watch 3 has one. Just mentioning that because I've had AW3 for over a year and battery life is still exactly the same as the day I got it. No drop what so ever. I get easily 48 hours where battery hardly drops to around 40%, I can go even 72 hours without problems and still not even entering power saving mode. My point here is that maybe Apple could sell these 1000 charge cycle batteries as optional for new Phone for extra price.

I have a problem with this... I've owned Android, Samsung, Dell, many battery products over my life time. One reason why I, and others I know, buy Apple, is because of their battery longevity. I know family members that still have an Air 2 and it is going strong. I've religiously monitored battery life for my 6+, 6s+, and 8+. I've had several iPads in between there as well. My wife gets the same phone as I do and our results are near identical even though her usage is far heavier than mine. We've also had Macbook Airs for 3 years and now Pros for 7+ months. Our Macbook Airs after 3 years had 97%+ capacity.

Out of all those Apple products, I've only had a problem with a faulty battery once. My Samsung Note 3 lost 50% of its capacity in less than half a year. This is not perceived capacity, this is actual capacity. My Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro, Tab C, and Tab A tablets lots a lot of capacity (40%+). My Dell XPS 15 has already lost 10,000 mAh capacity after just a few months of ownership.

None of my Apple products have had these issues - in fact, even after 2 years of use and near 300 cycles, they are usually within a few % of the capacity they came with (I keep the recordings in an excel spreadsheet).

Your statements assume that batteries only last a year. They do not, they last much longer. My boss was sporting an iPhone 4s until a few years ago with over 86% of capacity left and almost 1700 cycles. My parents are still using their 6+ phones today.

Your statements automatically assume everyone else has the same experience as you do. They do not, that's why a lot of people buy Apple - it is a premium for superior software and hardware.

Hardly any Apple product is ever "practically usable for one year" .... hard to take your statements seriously with these outlandish wild statements.

There is a reason why I can sell back my Apple products after using them for around 40-50% of the value I paid for them...

One thing you and I share - is outrage over the fact that battery technology hasn't advanced as far as it should be. I think batteries should be way further than where they are right now. I don't really care about super thin ... I want to only charge a few times a week or less!

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I have a problem with this... I've owned Android, Samsung, Dell, many battery products over my life time. One reason why I, and others I know, buy Apple, is because of their battery longevity. I know family members that still have an Air 2 and it is going strong. I've religiously monitored battery life for my 6+, 6s+, and 8+. I've had several iPads in between there as well. My wife gets the same phone as I do and our results are near identical even though her usage is far heavier than mine. We've also had Macbook Airs for 3 years and now Pros for 7+ months. Our Macbook Airs after 3 years had 97%+ capacity.
You are mainly listing older models. My older models also got great batteries.

None of my Apple products have had these issues - in fact, even after 2 years of use and near 300 cycles, they are usually within a few % of the capacity they came with (I keep the recordings in an excel spreadsheet).
That used to be the case here too with older models.

Your statements assume that batteries only last a year. They do not, they last much longer.
You understood me wrong. That was not my statement but it was just derived from general opinion here were most say they don't care battery life in long term as long as it lasts until new model arrives and the fact that newer models often lost quite a lot capacity in short time.

My boss was sporting an iPhone 4s until a few years ago with over 86% of capacity left and almost 1700 cycles. My parents are still using their 6+ phones today.
Again excellent old model which I was not referring to. I had one and it was the best iPhone I've ever had in many ways. Never any battery problems.

Your statements automatically assume everyone else has the same experience as you do. They do not, that's why a lot of people buy Apple - it is a premium for superior software and hardware.
Again, it was not a statement.
You don't notice many peoples here asking why battery capacity dropped fast in brand new phone (these newer models)?

Hardly any Apple product is ever "practically usable for one year" .... hard to take your statements seriously with these outlandish wild statements.
Again that remains to be seen in the future when these new models age.

One thing you and I share - is outrage over the fact that battery technology hasn't advanced as far as it should be. I think batteries should be way further than where they are right now. I don't really care about super thin ... I want to only charge a few times a week or less!
Actually what I think is that battery technology has taken steps backward.

Last edited:

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I have the X since it’s launch. Battery is at 100% it’s been wirelessly charged 99.999% of the time.

I put it down on the wireless charger whenever I’m not using it. It’s on the wireless charger overnight every night since I got it.
Which wireless charger do you use?

Noiselessx

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2019
Exactly one month after I got the phone (XS) now it's 98 % :D:D I really feel like I should just stop watching that but it drives me mad. Can anyone tell me how do you charge your phone? Right now I try to charge it as soon as it gets below 30% and I charge it either to 100 or 90+ %

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Funny how everyone just blames for themselves for having battery degrading in new phone. :)
If you did not have the same issues with your previous iPhones (or any phone for that matter) and your charging habits have not changed, how can it be your fault?

Anyway, I think it is even better to charge the battery when it is getting near 40%.
Running them constantly very deep discharge cycle or even empty is one of the most harmful thing among with high heat what you can do to Li-ion battery.

BTW. When you next time go to shop where are several XS display models, just for fun check the battery menu for battery health in all of them.

Last edited:

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
Funny how everyone just blames for themselves for having battery degrading in new phone. :)
If you did not have the same issues with your previous iPhones (or any phone for that matter) and your charging habits have not changed, how can it be your fault?

That’s because there’s a lot more factors to it than that.

ImAnAgent

Suspended
Oct 11, 2018
My mind
I bought my XS Max through AT&T on October 29th. The capacity still shows 100% today.

I charge my phone when it gets down to 5% and charge it to 100% My battery typically lasts me two days with my usage.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Apple should report 100% for anything from actual 95% to 103%. People could go on with their lives till well into year of use. Truelly defective batteries would still be detected.

Imagine all the happy people. Be better than medication. Course Macrumers would have a lot less threads. But sacrifices are needed at times.

Other than rare defective battery only leaving phone on dash in hot sun, or other heat event will destroy battery.

Apple engineered smarts into charging system, never getting near to actual battery 0 or 100%, adjusting charge rate based on battery level, trickle charging on/off when full and left plugged in. Basically making charging user proof.

Chasing a percent or two is like dog chasing tail. Fun yes, but not productive in any way. Bet that 2 percent is within plus minus tolerance of software ability to report health.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
That’s because there’s a lot more factors to it than that.
And you think those factors are what?
[doublepost=1548344637][/doublepost]
I bought my XS Max through AT&T on October 29th. The capacity still shows 100% today.

I charge my phone when it gets down to 5% and charge it to 100% My battery typically lasts me two days with my usage.
I noticed on our another X (that has excellent battery) that even abusing the battery, it does not degrade. It's my wife's phone and she often forgets to charge it. Mine is being babied more that it is even reasonable and it is much more weaker.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
That does not explain anything. Like why all the sudden this drop in battery health percentage seems to happen more often with XS?
If you don't believe, go to shop where there are several XS display phones and see battery menu yourself.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
1% drop is nothing with a chemical process that is not exact. Nothing to worry about. CoconutBattery can even show a 6-8% difference when checking capacity when not fully charged - which is why I only check at 100% (Full charge) - not displayed 100%.

Batteries are not consistent. My wife constantly lets hers go to single digits, goes through several cycles a day, will let it run out of battery, I baby mine. On average - we've had the same phone from 4s, 5, 6+, 6s+, 8+, and now Xs MAX, on average, there has been almost no difference in design capacity even though she'll have 150 more cycles after 2 years than I do.

I am not a fan of Apple showing the battery health meter. I would have preferred a capacity meter instead of a percentage reader that is obviously heavily programmed to show a biased reading. That's why I use coconutBattery, and not just ONE glance either, monitor it over weeks/months.

All my batteries have had different personalities. My 6s+ came 96% capacity from factory. It fluctuated +-3% over its nearly 2 year lifespan and ended at 95.7% capacity (if I'm remembering correctly). My 6+ was 107% capacity from factory and after a heavily used life (Ingress) it was 98% after almost 2 years. My 8+ fared better cuz I only had it for one year, showed no movement 101%. My XS Max is 101% as well, same for my wife. Not showing any movement after several months of usage.

Do note, there was one time I checked battery health in iOS and it showed 99%. I checked coconutBattery after charging to full it went back to 101% and iOS Battery health showed 100%. I don't even look at Battery Health anymore.

I just wish iPhones allowed running off of power so the battery didn't consume cycles when plugged in - like a MacBook.
[doublepost=1548348896][/doublepost]
@Noiselessx - Nobody is letting you down. That's how hardware works. I've had an iPhone 7 Plus since October 2018 and the battery percentage got down to 99% in December. I checked it a few days ago and it was back to 100%.

It's not spot on.

Agreed. You're spot on. :)

Reactions: HEK

CosmicRichy

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
Australia
Some interesting points made in this thread. One thing I want to ask is does fast charging harm your battery?

I’m using the Smart Battery Case for my XR and I use the 18W USB-C charger to fast charge both the phone and case at the same time.

Does fast charging really degrade battery health or is that a myth?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.