Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Out of curiosity, could you run Jumpdesktop w/keyboard and mouse support? That would allow your Mac Pro to do all the heavy lifting while you control it remotely. The only thing your iPad or MBP would have to do is receive and display the screen.

Theoretically, yes... except that I also work a lot of places without cellular connectivity (planes, subway, middle of nowhere in a car).

However: a bigger issue is workflow. When I'm working on my laptop I use MANY virtual desktops (generally 6-10!) and use all of the multitasking gestures of my trackpad to move through the system quickly. It would be a pretty large inconvenience to try to do that with Jumpdesktop and a mouse.

It's really just not worth it. Note: I didn't even buy a keyboard for my iPP... that's just not what I'm using it for. I bought it to be an awesome tablet (especially for taking notes) and it has surpassed my every expectation in that department. No reason to shoe horn it into doing something it really wasn't meant to do.

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
Here are some options for extra storage:

http://www.macworld.com/article/290...or-adding-storage-to-your-iphone-or-ipad.html

Also, you may consider getting a plan from T-Mobile. The 6gb plan ($30-35?) has unlimited data from streaming services like Netflix and Hulu. I know TMobile doesn't have as great of coverage but if you're mainly on interstates and in cities it may work for you.

Thank you. I like the looks of the extra storage devices. As for T-Mobile, I like their un-carrier packages, but only Verizon has the coverage I need coast to coast.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
Thank you. I like the looks of the extra storage devices. As for T-Mobile, I like their un-carrier packages, but only Verizon has the coverage I need coast to coast.
It was just a thought. I have Verizon cell service but will get T-Mobile for the iPad. I can tether my iPad to my phone if needed but streaming is such a drain I like the idea of unlimited data.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
@JawneeWin awesome review, I'm glad you shared your experience with this, I've always thought iPad Pro should first and foremost be aimed at schools, and I think Apple missed the boat big time with education by not doing this sooner and by not refining iOS and other things sooner.

I'm curious about one thing though, when I was in college I tried using my laptop for taking notes and loved the speed of typing notes on a physical keyboard for classes such as english, history, etc. Whereas in classes like math, physics, etc writting on paper was mandatory since it wasn't practical to type on laptop obviously.

From experience, it'd seem to me there is a huge advantage in taking notes with physical keyboard where possible, since it can be much faster than handwriting depending on your training. But for math/physics handwriting is obviously better.

What I'm wondering is, do you take notes by handwriting on all your classes, or do you mix keyboard + apple pencil, and if so how's the ease of use on mixing the two?

One last thing: do you place iPad flat on desk? If so how's the glare from ceiling lamps?

Reactions: JawneeWin

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Some companies hiring for engineering positions require that the qualifying degree be ABET-accredited. (edit - I meant to note also that many on-line programs are accredited)
Being a frequent viewer of the Reddit cscareerquestions , it seems pretty normal for people to get an online degree from an accredited university and get a good job like anyone else. During the interview process they don't tend to ask if you got your degree online, so as long as it's a real school, you should be good

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Being a frequent viewer of the Reddit cscareerquestions , it seems pretty normal for people to get an online degree from an accredited university and get a good job like anyone else. During the interview process they don't tend to ask if you got your degree online, so as long as it's a real school, you should be good
In practicality as a technologist for 24 years now if say with today's youth that's not as good an option as a proper university degree though better than nothing. You're typically not getting s job for s huge company like splendor IBM with an online degree. Or typically anything Fortune 500 n that's just my experience. I feel I left highs chop close to the end of when it was acceptable to not get a degree and for now most trade schools or online universities don't quite get there

On topic is there anyone here who is a photographer as that's my other full time job. I've been looking in the forum and unfold. How to batch photo to photo in mobile Lightroom but adjustments are still a bit lackluster. Screen color is meh (I could make it work as I only print for shows and sales) but I'm just wondering f any photographers are using iPad pro? I don't see a way to use the pencil with Lightroom unlike the surface. Which again I don't love (the surface)

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
In practicality as a technologist for 24 years now if say with today's youth that's not as good an option as a proper university degree though better than nothing. You're typically not getting s job for s huge company like splendor IBM with an online degree. Or typically anything Fortune 500 n that's just my experience. I feel I left highs chop close to the end of when it was acceptable to not get a degree and for now most trade schools or online universities don't quite get there

wondering if English is your second language

Reactions: oftheheavens

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

On topic is there anyone here who is a photographer as that's my other full time job. I've been looking in the forum and unfold. How to batch photo to photo in mobile Lightroom but adjustments are still a bit lackluster. Screen color is meh (I could make it work as I only print for shows and sales) but I'm just wondering f any photographers are using iPad pro? I don't see a way to use the pencil with Lightroom unlike the surface. Which again I don't love (the surface)

You should probably start a new topic for photography. I will tell you though that I still use Lightroom on my iPP mainly for "culling the herd" and the originsal set of fixups. I then move to my Mac Pro to finish a set.
[doublepost=1458406684][/doublepost]
@JawneeWin awesome review, I'm glad you shared your experience with this, I've always thought iPad Pro should first and foremost be aimed at schools, and I think Apple missed the boat big time with education by not doing this sooner and by not refining iOS and other things sooner.

I'm curious about one thing though, when I was in college I tried using my laptop for taking notes and loved the speed of typing notes on a physical keyboard for classes such as english, history, etc. Whereas in classes like math, physics, etc writting on paper was mandatory since it wasn't practical to type on laptop obviously.

From experience, it'd seem to me there is a huge advantage in taking notes with physical keyboard where possible, since it can be much faster than handwriting depending on your training. But for math/physics handwriting is obviously better.

What I'm wondering is, do you take notes by handwriting on all your classes, or do you mix keyboard + apple pencil, and if so how's the ease of use on mixing the two?

One last thing: do you place iPad flat on desk? If so how's the glare from ceiling lamps?

I'm only doing science classes at this point, so everything is handwritten. I do agree that in humanities classes it can be worthwhile to type and I would consider getting an iPP keyboard for that.

I lay my iPP flat on the desk. It looks JUST like a sheet of paper when using Notability... and I use it that way. The iPP is VERY bright indoors... no problems with glare at all. In fact, the "ink" is so black and smooth that I suspect it has a higher contrast ratio than pencil on paper ;-)

Reactions: trifid

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
IOr typically anything Fortune 500 n that's just my experience. I feel I left highs chop close to the end of when it was acceptable to not get a degree and for now most trade schools or online universities don't quite get there

Assuming that we're talking about real university systems that have been around since forever (University of Texas, Yale, LSU etc.) and not University of Phoenix like universities, online degrees vs on campus degrees should not matter. Your degree won't say "online" or "on campus".
Obviously, a lot depends on the circumstances. As I previously said, the hiring manager might prefer someone who worked a full time job while earning an online degree vs someone who just coasted on campus. On the other hand, he might not like someone who coasted during an online course. There are many many different circumstances. When I moved to the US I was hired by one of the top aerospace companies in the engineering department, and I lasted there for about 10 years. Guess what? I had no degree. Zero, nada. Even my English wasn't that good. All I had was a certain skill set that they needed, they interviewed me, saw me work for a bit, and hired me as engineer, full time, with overtime paid 1.5 times regular pay, and I had the pleasure to work with some of the best in aerospace. Good ol' times.
What I mean is that it really depends on the situation; big claims like "Online degrees are worthless" is absolute BS. It depends; it will always depend on the circumstances. Going to a university is a business transaction: pay for a service, get the service, invest on education for a good salary and certain knowledge that you can then use for improving yourself and you work.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Just felt like saying that not all students who don't work to pay for college are "just coasting." Many of us know how fortunate we are to have supportive parents who have enough finances to pay for our education, and try to use our opportunity at college wisely.

Oh absolutely. I meant it as an extreme to prove the point that it's not just "Online vs Campus".

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Sorry I did mean places like devry and university of Phoenix when I posited that the value was lesser.

Traditional universities with online programs is a different story. As stated by others.

JawneeWin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013

I'm taking all science/nursing class & take all notes by apple pencil. If any situation comes up where my handwriting speed cannot catch up, I write a short note & refer to the recording with Notability. Also, I place my iPad flat on the desk. Palm rejection is great, and there is no glare. I find about half way brightness to be the ideal setting for me in my classes.

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
I'm glad you were able to move. If I didn't do photo work professionally I'd take one as a main machine in a heartbeat. I've toyed with the idea of doing the iPad pro and desktop but I can't sit at a desk for long periods for at least another year - and the workflow of Lightroom mobile has way too many issue to be a primary source. Also getting files to the iPad is pain .. Photo smith fixes a lot of these issues but not enough -

I'm using a surface pro 3 right now - I don't particularly like it but there's literally not a solution from Apple that would work for me right now -

Yet I am stil considering selling the air 2 and getting an iPad pro to go with the surface pro - maybe then I get 2/3 of what I need - then sell the surface later and shift back to a huge iMac when space finances and ability to sit like that are back (double spine surgery already, another coming, and mild brain surgery coming)

It's a shame companies like Adobe and on1 don't have real software the iPads are clearly fast enough to run proper versions of this stuff, if they come out with it I will figure out the import issue - maybe just use my eye fi.

128 gig iPad pro with a NAS at home could easily run desktop class Lightroom - I wish they'd just do it. Smart previews would allow editing off the NAS from wherever and then my issues would be over.

I wonder when we will see commercial photography apps actually arrive for the iPad. This mobile stuff is a good start but not there yet.

I was really hoping the pro would run OSX or a hybrid. Maybe I need to try one to see if it works for me but I just don't think the software is there yet.

SOrry for the ramble

I do advertising illustration, that's heavy in photo manipulation , and I shoot RAW on a DSLR as a hobby.

U can buy a SD card to thunder port (or whatever the one port is called in the iPad pro) and upload to iPad.pro. Photos can be used to cull the bad photos, and photoshop express can edit RAW!!. Its also free. It's basic raw editing, but it works. No app can replace photoshop if u want to do masking , effects, or other more advanced stuff. But for basic RAW editing it works ok. Palm rejection on my iPad pro is the worst I have ever used on a tablet.

The iPad pro is very slow compared to a laptop, you'll see if u ever try editing RAW or 4k video. It's not as fast as the apple hype machine would make u believe, but I like using it for uploading directly to Instagram. It Takes my cintiq companion out of my social media workflow.

I tried astropad on a friends rMBP, too much lag and poor image quality. Plus the iPad pro has no color calibration capability. Some might like it, but I can't do my work on that setup.

I'm with u though, Apple is way overdue for a OS X tablet. iPad is a nice companion device, but falls short for professional creative workflows. The software and hardware is too weak and immature right now. I run Windows tablets they are awesome for my job and hobbies. I'll never buy another laptop. Hopefully apple steps up for creative workflows.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm with u though, Apple is way overdue for a OS X tablet. iPad is a nice companion device, but falls short for professional creative workflows. The software and hardware is too weak and immature right now.

Do you really need a OS X tablet, or do you need iOS software and hardware to mature?

What Apple is doing is go all in on developing iOS as a touch based tablet OS. Introducing an OS X tablet would confuse and fragment that effort. See how much trouble Microsoft is having getting devs to write quality tablet apps, because users can fall back to running desktop apps on their tablet/laptop hybrid systems. An OS X tablet would be a shortcut now, but in the long run, I believe Apple's decision to keep tablet OS separate from desktop OS will pay off.

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
I need desktop class software on a tablet with a good pen. 16gb ram and a quad core cpu minimum. Fast Ssd, and a file system. Or at least the equivalent. I get paid for my speed. I don't think iPad will ever do that, and if it ever does, I'll probably need something faster by then. So no iPad will likely never do that. But, Hopefully I'm wrong.

I think we may have different definitions and uses for a 'tablet'. For me it's just a form factor that can encompass many use cases. Not just the apple defined use case. They have a very myopic view.

But I'm probably a fringe use case. That's why I have to buy expensive specially designed computers made for artists. It's a niche market. I doubt apple will ever bother. Sure wish I could buy a Mac though. I do prefer OS X. I've Been stalking the mod book pro X forums. I hope that computer works well. I'll buy one.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Just wondering, are you talking about a computer science degree?
Yes...I know the title has changed a bit over time. When I first started on my Bachelors it was MIS [Management of Information Systems]. So I'm dated for sure...

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Yes...I know the title has changed a bit over time. When I first started on my Bachelors it was MIS [Management of Information Systems]. So I'm dated for sure...
That's good to know. I'll probably have to get mine online as I have to work to take care of my kid

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
It was 20 years ago and to day I'm doing it again! Having more fun than I used to have to too :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.