Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2021
As a lifelong Windows user, I'm struggling to get used to my new iMac because of the mouse pointer. I can't stand Apple's acceleration and how it constantly slows down. Is there any quick fix for this to make the mouse pointer behave like it would in Windows?

I'm also struggling with the Magic Mouse. I thought mine was defective until I tried store models and realized they're the same - they don't seem precise at all.

I've already increased the tracking speed as high as possible.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Hi,

I'm an Apple user for more than 2 decades , so I'm not sure what you refer to as "the Windows feel".
Nevertheless I hope to answer your concerns.

Although running a Mac OS I've never used an Apple mouse (never could get used to it).
Some quality mouses come with a software package to tweak and adjust the mouse preferences.

For the last 6 years I'm using a Razer Abyssus mouse for example and I'm very happy with it.
Razer offers software to download .

TLDR: I'd try a 3rd party "normal" mouse with software package for Mac OS to set your preferences.

Reactions: nebojsak

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2021
Way back at the dawn of this thread, before it drifted in various discussions, @no0nefamous, we floated the idea of the base MM for video editing.

The $589 basic model is back in the refurbished store if you're still interested.

Hi,

I'm an Apple user for more than 2 decades , so I'm not sure what you refer to as "the Windows feel".
Nevertheless I hope to answer your concerns.
The best I can describe it is: in Windows, if you, say, snap the mouse pointer somewhere fast and then slow down to hit your target, it maintains the same sensitivity and feels natural. In macOS, doing the same motion will also cause the sensitivity to lower. The result is the pointer slows down and stops before reaching what felt like it's natural stopping point.

Yep MacOS has a very heavy mouse acceleration curve.

I use the application SteerMouse to disable acceleration completely (among other things) but apparently it doesn't support Magic Mouse. There are also smaller (some free) applications e.g. https://www.plentycom.jp/en/cursorsense/index.html and https://linearmouse.org, and several others I've seen over the years.

Thanks, I'll give these a shot.

Reactions: KeesMacPro

sleestak

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2014
I had the same issues with the Magic Mouse, the pointer movement just didn't feel right. I believe that you can force the pointer acceleration to a higher value than the dialog slider by using the terminal. I fuddled along using "default write -g com.apple.scaling 8.0" for a while.

Then I hooked up a $25 Logitech mouse and the difference was night-and-day...movement felt right and not like the device was fighting me constantly. The Magic Mouse just seems slow to react and has poor precision, the asking price makes its lame performance even more offensive. You did the right thing by ditching it for a different device.

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
Okay so it was literally just the Magic Mouse. I connected a basic Logitech mouse and it more or less feels like what I'm used to.

The Magic Mouse kinda sucks, tbh.
I am also a Windows convert (used Windows since Windows 3.1) and I bought a Magic Mouse to go with the new Mac. I returned it, it is garbage. If you want a good mouse for Mac get the Logitech MX Master 3. The end.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Best combination I found was just a cheap regular mouse with a scroll wheel, plus the magic trackpad. I really just cannot live without a trackpad. I am too used to using gestures, including three finger drag, which is an accessibility option but IMO is a such game changer it should be on by default. If I was forced to lose one or the other, the mouse would be first to hit the trashcan.

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
including three finger drag, which is an accessibility option but IMO is a such game changer it should be on by default.
Huh? I looked in accessibility but can't find a way to enable this. Could you please give more details?

Edit: Found it. Very cool, I didn't know about it. And yes, it should be default.

Reactions: MajorFubar

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
@DrCC both that and tap to click IMO should be on by default. They transform using the trackpad, IMO. With those two options on it's very very rare I find myself reaching for the mouse in preference.

Reactions: chabig

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
I found a little problem with the 3 finger drag enabled, I can't use Mission Control and Expose with 3 fingers anymore, it defaults to 4 fingers instead. So there is a compromise.
I like 3 finger gestures for Mission Control so I guess I'll give up on the 3 finger drag.

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2021
Okay, so using a Logitech mouse made moving the mouse pointer feel "correct", but I have a follow up question:

Is there any way to disable the scroll wheel acceleration? If you move the wheel slowly, it barely scrolls at all. If you move it fast, it scrolls as it should. I absolutely cannot stand this and any time I scroll slowly it feels like the computer is lagging.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I found a little problem with the 3 finger drag enabled, I can't use Mission Control and Expose with 3 fingers anymore, it defaults to 4 fingers instead. So there is a compromise.
I like 3 finger gestures for Mission Control so I guess I'll give up on the 3 finger drag.
It's all about what you get used to. I can't go back from using three finger drag, it's too much of a game changer for my workflows. Using a pinch between three fingers and a thumb to bring up my apps instead of three fingers (or two fingers and a thumb) needs just a change in muscle memory which I adjusted to within one day. But of course, you do you.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Okay so it was literally just the Magic Mouse. I connected a basic Logitech mouse and it more or less feels like what I'm used to.

The Magic Mouse kinda sucks, tbh.
Yep, my first piece of advice would be: ditch the Magic Mouse. I use a Logitech gaming mouse with my Mac.

Reactions: no0nefamous

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
The best I can describe it is: in Windows, if you, say, snap the mouse pointer somewhere fast and then slow down to hit your target, it maintains the same sensitivity and feels natural. In macOS, doing the same motion will also cause the sensitivity to lower. The result is the pointer slows down and stops before reaching what felt like it's natural stopping point.
It feels natural because you’re used to it. I find the mouse to feel more precise on Mac because I’m used to it

I think you can probably just use it and get used to it. Quit fiddling with it and stick with something

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2021
It feels natural because you’re used to it. I find the mouse to feel more precise on Mac because I’m used to it

I think you can probably just use it and get used to it. Quit fiddling with it and stick with something

It was actually just the Magic Mouse and not how macOS handles the pointer movement.

Hacktivator

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2022
This software saved me from returning my MX3 for Mac. It solves Logitech's Options+ software compatibility issues with Monterey. Hopefully they'll bring us an update that allows users to disable mouse acceleration. That "feature" kills all precision and accuracy when it comes not only to creative work, but to day to day tasks.

Here are my settings:
Just DISABLE Liniar Scrolling in the first Tab and you're good to go.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-11 at 13.10.57.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-11 at 13.10.57.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 924

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
This software saved me from returning my MX3 for Mac. It solves Logitech's Options+ software compatibility issues with Monterey. Hopefully they'll bring us an update that allows users to disable mouse acceleration. That "feature" kills all precision and accuracy when it comes not only to creative work, but to day to day tasks.

Here are my settings:
Just DISABLE Liniar Scrolling in the first Tab and you're good to go.
It doesn’t kill my precision or accuracy. I think it’s more about what you’re used to than anything else. It’s good that you can disable it with that driver

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Sort of. I'm also Apple user for two decades, but never got along 100% with MM. I do miss its fast and 360° scroll, but its precision sucks.
It’s interesting that Windows laptop had issues with their trackpad, while Mac users had issues with Apple’s mouse. You can’t get best from both worlds :)

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Magic Mouse is absolutely terrible. Tried to get used to it more than once and have returned it each time. Easily the most inaccurate and unintuitive mouse pointer I’ve ever had the displeasure of using. No amount of tweaking could ever get rid of the feeling that I was chasing a runaway pointer around the screen rather than doing the pointing myself. Made me feel like I was left handed and using the wrong arm. Magic Trackpad was the answer for me.

TLDR; Worst mouse on the planet.

Last edited:
Reactions: no0nefamous

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
It’s interesting that Windows laptop had issues with their trackpad, while Mac users had issues with Apple’s mouse. You can’t get best from both worlds :)

I have a Magic Mouse and I like it a lot. The only thing I think is wrong with it is the ergonomics, which are bad

Reactions: yabeweb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.