Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I am not being a jerk, they write this long winded post about Apple customer service WHICH FOLKS TOOK TIME TO READ and are looking for retribution with this scenario which is absolutely ridiculous and will not buy from Apple? Well ok I guess, they can do what they want.

I have seen far less moved to the wasteland. We wasted our time so now I get my two cents worth and try to avoid others wasting their time.

Why does it bother you? Just let it go... like that Disney song goes.
[doublepost=1485294302][/doublepost]
Please show me where on Apple's site is that policy explained.

SHOW ME ON THE DOLL WHERE THE BAD MAN TOUCHED YOU!!! :rolleyes:

It's not written neither is my bathroom rule. But if you come in and I tell you then you take it as my policy.

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
The biggest problem I have and where I think the OP is being wronged is the availability of a new set. A new pair wouldn't be in stock until early March. If the Apple Store has replacements on hand which they usually do for warranty cases, then he should be able to buy the 2 he lost to replace his like is stated on their website.

On the other hand, do I think he is being a bit hyperbolic by never purchasing another Apple product again, yes. Enjoy your android;)

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
SHOW ME ON THE DOLL WHERE THE BAD MAN TOUCHED YOU!!! :rolleyes:

It's not written neither is my bathroom rule. But if you come in and I tell you then you take it as my policy.

Not necessarily, for all we know, that support rep might have mismanaged the case. For example they originally offered free replacements, that's an exception to the rule, Apple's official policy is to charge for lost Airpods. It's not unusual for support reps to give conflicting policies, hence my questioning of the flawed logic of this case.
[doublepost=1485299706][/doublepost]
I actually researched lost/stolen and couldn't find it in their policy. All the community forums I visit in Apple stated lost/stolen hardware is not covered for replacement. I called Apple moments ago and spoke Apple Jermaine (Senior Advisor) and he stated lost or stolen of ANY hardware is not covered under Apple's policy. I asked him if he could E-mail a link to this. He stated he would. I can post it when I receive it.

Regardless, I think your being slightly pedantic. All that matters is Apple explained to the OP the Airpods will not be covered due to loss. I think your strafing away from what we already know.

I think we might be arguing different things, the problem is that the OP went through several stages during his chat with the support rep and there are different points to argue about. To be clear lets recap:

1. OP called with the intent to purchase replacement Airpods
2. Apple support rep broke policy and offered free replacements (Apple's official policy is to charge for replacements)
3. OP clarified the means by which airpods had been lost was due to theft
4. Apple support rep backed down on the free replacements with the excuse that the airpods weren't lost but stolen
5. OP re-asked Apple to buy replacements
6. Apple support rep denied the sale of replacements with the excuse that the means of losing them was due to theft and not neglect

What I'm arguing is the bolded part, #6. Apple has a policy about lost Airpods, they will let you buy replacements due to loss. Apple NEVER asks for proof whether you lost due them due to neglect or theft, hence the differentiation is ridiculous. One more point, Apple is actually profiting by selling you replacements, it's not like they are doing anyone any favors.

As people already have mentioned before, buying 2 airpods costs $140, whereas buying a brand new set is only $20 more, and you get the charging box, and lighting cable. So Apple is actually ripping people off with the replacements. Why would they deny someone if they wanted to buy them? Doesn't make any sense at all.

My theory is that this case was mismanaged by the support rep, plain and simple.

Apple's official policy is to sell replacements due to loss, there is no specification that the loss has to be only due to neglect rather than theft.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not necessarily, for all we know, that support rep might have mismanaged the case. For example they originally offered free replacements, that's an exception to the rule, Apple's official policy is to charge for lost Airpods. It's not unusual for support reps to give conflicting policies, hence my questioning of the flawed logic of this case.

I think we might be arguing different things, the problem is that the OP went through several stages during his chat with the support rep and there are different points to argue about. To be clear lets recap:

2. Apple support rep broke policy and offered free replacements (Apple's official policy is to charge for replacements)
4. Apple support rep backed down on the free replacements with the excuse that the airpods weren't lost but stolen
6. Apple support rep denied the sale of replacements with the excuse that the means of losing them was due to theft and not neglect

What I'm arguing is the bolded part, #6. Apple has a policy about lost Airpods, they will let you buy replacements due to loss. Apple NEVER asks for proof whether you lost due to neglect or theft, hence the differentiation is ridiculous. One more point, Apple is actually profiting by selling you replacements, it's not like they are doing anyone any favors.

As people already have mentioned before, buying 2 airpods costs $140, whereas buying a brand new product is only $20 more, and you get the charging box, and lighting cable. So Apple is actually ripping people off with the replacements. Why would they deny someone if they wanted to buy them? Doesn't make any sense at all.

My theory is that this case was mismanaged by the support rep, plain and simple.

Apple's official policy is to sell replacements due to loss, there is no specification that the loss has to be only due to neglect rather than theft.

Then the only way to know for sure would be to escalate it to Corporate and have them clarify or reconcile the issue, IF the actual case was misrepresented or misquoted. If they to deny OP service for reasons already listed, then your point(s) are moot and the fact stands lost is equivalent to the subjected terms of neglect, meaning, Apple isn't assisting the OP for the inadvertent mistake on their behalf. That is if the OP makes the effort.

Reactions: MrXiro

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
So to put things into perspective I was looking at services like purchase protection from credit cards, and found that they cover theft or accidental damage, but they don't cover loss due to neglect. This to me means that loss due to neglect is the most "irresponsible" thing a buyer an do, and isn't covered. And theft is only covered if you can provide a number of things including police report.

So what this tells me is that Apple's policy of selling you replacements due to loss inherently should include theft, since it's a subset and a lesser "infraction".

Reactions: Peter K.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore

What I'm arguing is the bolded part, #6. Apple has a policy about lost Airpods, they will let you buy replacements due to loss. Apple NEVER asks for proof whether you lost due them due to neglect or theft, hence the differentiation is ridiculous. One more point, Apple is actually profiting by selling you replacements, it's not like they are doing anyone any favors.

As people already have mentioned before, buying 2 airpods costs $140, whereas buying a brand new set is only $20 more, and you get the charging box, and lighting cable. So Apple is actually ripping people off with the replacements. Why would they deny someone if they wanted to buy them? Doesn't make any sense at all.

This is so spot-on, IMO, that I had to say so. A mere "like" doesn't do it justice.

Last edited:
Reactions: bfg110 and trifid

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
o_O

My mom lost one of her AirPods. She went to the apple store today and was never offered a 69$ replacement cost. Just found the link to that too. What the heck.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So to put things into perspective I was looking at services like purchase protection from credit cards, and found that they cover theft or accidental damage, but they don't cover loss due to neglect. This to me means that loss due to neglect is the most "irresponsible" thing a buyer an do, and isn't covered. And theft is only covered if you can provide a number of things including police report.

So what this tells me is that Apple's policy of selling you replacements due to loss inherently should include theft, since it's a subset and a lesser "infraction".

Which is exactly what I already stated in Post #14 and peppered throughout this thread, as well as others have clearly stated. Loss is negligence. And anyone can file a theft report because they "Lost" something. There has to be a line drawn somewhere. Your theory is not an exception to anything. Apple is no exception either.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I am not completely getting this. Say I buy AirPods at full cost. Then, I can just go and "buy" more at replacement cost? How do I prove I actually "lost" them and didn't just give them away to my relatives?

Also, this is strange, the OP won't buy Apple again due to this. Which other company is even "offering" a replacement?

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am not completely getting this. Say I buy AirPods at full cost. Then, I can just go and "buy" more at replacement cost? How do I prove I actually "lost" them and didn't just give them away to my relatives?

Also, this is strange, the OP won't buy Apple again due to this. Which other company is even "offering" a replacement?

This. Anyone can state they lost something or a product, and then contact the manufacturer and ask for a replacement. That's not how it works. Loss is negligence. Which results in somebody not taking responsibility or caring for something as they should have either by mistake or inadvertently. That's why companies can't cover loss. If companies did cover loss,, the amount of fraud would be at an all-time high.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK

Because buying a full replacement set costs more than a new set?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
wtf

if you lose something why should apple replace it? you would have to buy a new set like with anything. this has nothing to do with bad customer service...it's reality companies shouldn't have to give you a new pair. just buy more and accept you messed up.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011

Apple doesn't ask for proof, they'll take your word and sell you replacements. It should doesn't matter if you lost them or if they were stolen. That's my main point throughout this thread.

And again, the replacements are actually more expensive than getting a new set so Apple doesn't care if you lie about losing them, they still profit amazingly.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Apple doesn't ask for proof, they'll take your word and sell you replacements. It should doesn't matter if you lost them or if they were stolen. That's my main point throughout this thread.

And again, the replacements are actually more expensive than getting a new set so Apple doesn't care if you lie about losing them, they still profit amazingly.

Of course, they profit. While also being of genuine help if you lose one of the two, which would be a genuine possibility considering the wireless nature.

Reactions: 44267547

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY

Apple has clearly priced the replacements at a price where it is 1. profitable to them and 2. not worth it to anyone to lie and say they lost them to get new ones. You dont get a charging case with the replacements unless you buy that as well which would put the cost above a brand new set. You need the case to pair a reconnect to other devices so just giving them away to family members isnt very practical.

And if you are doing that and going through the hassle of trying to share a charging case just to save $20, Apple still made their money.
[doublepost=1485363966][/doublepost]
wtf

if you lose something why should apple replace it? you would have to buy a new set like with anything. this has nothing to do with bad customer service...it's reality companies shouldn't have to give you a new pair. just buy more and accept you messed up.

No one said they should replace them for free. But when their policy clearly states replacements are available for $69 each, then they should honor that policy.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
To the OP. If you're set on saving the $20 you could always call them and say your "stolen" AirPods were returned to you but you subsequently "lost" them the next day and you'd like to purchase replacements.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
To the OP. If you're set on saving the $20 you could always call them and say your "stolen" AirPods were returned to you but you subsequently "lost" them the next day and you'd like to purchase replacements.

So, basically your saying to lie to gain value in something that Apple should be doing in the first place. And your story sounds horribly unbelievable and untrue. Apple very well may have documented what the OP already stated.

Reactions: Septembersrain

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013

They record conversations and this would be the most blatant lie anyone could tell.

This is getting ridiculous. I've lost headphones. I buy a new pair. You're lucky Apple even offers replacements. If all this lying and pursuing getting them for free keeps up, they might just ether:

A) Raise price for replacements.

B) Limit replacements to one per X amount of time.

C) Stop offering them all together.

Reactions: TheAppleFairy

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
They record conversations and this would be the most blatant lie anyone could tell.

This is getting ridiculous. I've lost headphones. I buy a new pair. You're lucky Apple even offers replacements. If all this lying and pursuing getting them for free keeps up, they might just ether:

A) Raise price for replacements.

B) Limit replacements to one per X amount of time.

C) Stop offering them all together.

1. Whether he is lucky or not that Apple offers replacements is irrelevant because they do.

2. He was not looking for free replacements, they were apparently offered to him for free and then they declined him purchasing replacements at the stated replacement cost.

3. Apple would love for more people to buy replacements at $69 a piece. The margin on replacements is higher then selling a new pair.

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
proclaimed that I felt a civic responsibility to contact the CA Attorney General

You lost me here. Ridiculous reaction. You were not concerned for the well-being of consumers--you made a threat.

Seems to me that the first rep was probably confused that you wanted two replacements at $138 instead of a full replacement retail set for $159.

Here's how the conversation goes for normal people:

Customer: I lost an AirPod. I'd like to buy a single replacement (or two) for $69 apiece as noted on your website.
Rep: I haven't heard of that. Let me check. Can you direct me to the place on the website? Ah, yes. Let's get that set up.

Here's how it goes for a poor communicator/someone trying to hide the ball:

Customer: I lost my AirPods and want to buy replacements.
Rep: sure, just order some on our website.
Customer: Fraud! Attorney general!

Reactions: NicolasLGA

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Stolen can be considered negligence and negligence isn't always covered.
Stolen is more negligent than just plain losing them? How?!

Plain losing a thing is obviously maximum negligency. It's the very definition of negligency. You had the thing, and then because you were forgetful, or careless or sloppy you no longer have it. How do you get more negligent than that?

Anyhow, it's an odd policy differentiating between stolen and lost airpods; especially as having something stolen from you is a sub-set of losing something. In both cases, the item is lost; difference is in one case it's you doing the losing bit, and the other involves another person pilfering from you.

Does Apple even state anywhere that stolen airpods are not eligible for replacement pricing?

It might be worth involving the BBB over this matter.

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
You lost me here. Ridiculous reaction. You were not concerned for the well-being of consumers--you made a threat.

Seems to me that the first rep was probably confused that you wanted two replacements at $138 instead of a full replacement retail set for $159.

Here's how the conversation goes for normal people:

Customer: I lost an AirPod. I'd like to buy a single replacement (or two) for $69 apiece as noted on your website.
Rep: I haven't heard of that. Let me check. Can you direct me to the place on the website? Ah, yes. Let's get that set up.

Here's how it goes for a poor communicator/someone trying to hide the ball:

Customer: I lost my AirPods and want to buy replacements.
Rep: sure, just order some on our website.
Customer: Fraud! Attorney general!

So if a customer does not know of the policy, the rep shouldn't offer it? That's 5* customer service for you?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
1. Whether he is lucky or not that Apple offers replacements is irrelevant because they do.

2. He was not looking for free replacements, they were apparently offered to him for free and then they declined him purchasing replacements at the stated replacement cost.

3. Apple would love for more people to buy replacements at $69 a piece. The margin on replacements is higher then selling a new pair.

You're missing the part where they were claimed as lost, then were stated as stolen. I'd be hesitant to help a customer who lied to me right off the bat. They'd offered the free replacements based on the current situation and the information they received.

If you call the cops and say "He stole my laptop!" but then changed your story to "I actually think I lost them" all credibility goes out the door.

So I don't think Apple changed their mind for no reason. I think they changed it because the person changed their story.

Edit: Even after all that, they still offered a credit of $100 towards something. They still were giving something even after all that. It's not like they said "Nope" and then did absolutely nothing for the OP.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
You're missing the part where they were claimed as lost, then were stated as stolen. I'd be hesitant to help a customer who lied to me right off the bat. They'd offered the free replacements based on the current situation and the information they received.

If you call the cops and say "He stole my laptop!" but then changed your story to "I actually think I lost them" all credibility goes out the door.

So I don't think Apple changed their mind for no reason. I think they changed it because the person changed their story.

Edit: Even after all that, they still offered a credit of $100 towards something. They still were giving something even after all that. It's not like they said "Nope" and then did absolutely nothing for the OP.

Apple rep still messed up at the end by refusing to sell replacements. Whether it's loss via negligence or theft shouldn't, matter in this case, it completely illogical as explained many times in this thread.

Summary: Apple rep messed up at the end and we are wasting man hours trying to justify a policy that doesn't exist, ie refusing to sell replacements due to theft. Please if someone can confirm about it via legit source please post back here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.