Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Stolen is more negligent than just plain losing them? How?!

Plain losing a thing is obviously maximum negligency. It's the very definition of negligency. You had the thing, and then because you were forgetful, or careless or sloppy you no longer have it. How do you get more negligent than that?

Anyhow, it's an odd policy differentiating between stolen and lost airpods; especially as having something stolen from you is a sub-set of losing something. In both cases, the item is lost; difference is in one case it's you doing the losing bit, and the other involves another person pilfering from you.

Does Apple even state anywhere that stolen airpods are not eligible for replacement pricing?

It might be worth involving the BBB over this matter.

You're late to the discussion on this thread (Not that you can't have an opinion) and personally, this subject is completely exhausted that no one wants admit or fully understand the pervasive arguments in here. My response(s) are clear in what I believe through this thread and I'm not going to rehash the same thing over and over to you for the sake of arguing and derailing this thread any further.

That said, If you read through this thread, Post #29 I indicated what I deem the most appropriate route for the OP's sake and everyone else for the matter, which is to contact Corporate, allow them to definitively clear any misunderstandings and re-Define the correct policy, if and what that policy might be.

If the Apple Store representative strafed away from what should have happened from the start, then I believe Corporate can rectify the error and the OP can post back here on the outcome of this situation, because frankly, your opinion on this thread is just as anecdotal on here, as well as others, until Apple can elaborate either the error made or substantiate the correct procedure(s). This is what it comes down too.

Op; many arguments have been made in this thread. The only thing that matters is if you escalate this to the appropriate level and report back your findings, clearing any confusion and educating the forum members of the correct policy and procedure on the alleged matter.

Last edited:

Plumber007

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2016
I thought the 1st post in this thead was strange, subsequently the topic got down right koo-koo.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Am I the only one who's worried about people spending $160 on two little pieces of plastic?

Am I the only one who's worried about people spending $160 on two little pieces of plastic? That's reality.

Two little pieces of plastic made by Apple. That's reality distortion field.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Am I the only one who's worried about people spending $160 on two little pieces of plastic?

You're going to have to elaborate what you mean by "Worry?" Are you worried that you will lose them? Or are you worried that you won't use them for $160 worth?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
No. Apple won't replace them at replacement cost.
If you've lost both airpods you need to buy a new pair at the retail price.

Had you lost one then you might reasonably expect Apple to offer a single AirPod at the replacement price but you are asking for a new set of airpods and wanting to pay a reduced price.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Am I the only one who's worried about people spending $160 on two little pieces of plastic? That's reality.

Two little pieces of plastic made by Apple. That's reality distortion field.
And pieces of rocks that don't do anything and her people have been buying for essentially exponentially more for ages? Or many many other things in life?

Reactions: macintoshmac

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
If you've lost both airpods you need to buy a new pair at the retail price.

Had you lost one then you might reasonably expect Apple to offer a single AirPod at the replacement price but you are asking for a new set of airpods and wanting to pay a reduced price.

A. No one here knows, for sure, that this is actual Apple policy. The only thing we know is that replacement AirPods are available for a fee, no "might reasonably expect" about it.

B. Paying the replacement cost for a PAIR of AirPods is NOT a reduced price. You do NOT get a new charging case.

Reactions: trifid

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
You know the wording on the site is lost. It doesn't say lost or stolen (Lost/Stolen). I'm guessing this word loophole could have been used by the Apple team as grounds to dismiss the OP.

I also have a thought that my renters insurance covers stolen items on my person. Perhaps Apple feels that a police report and going through renters/homeowners insurance is the right procedure? I should of thought of this as I used to work for Esurance. On an item this cheap, it's not really feasible with most deductibles averaging between $500-$2000 (Higher deductibles are usually on homeowners policies and can be based on the requirement of the escrow).

However, maybe this policy of stolen items is across the board for all of their products?

3cece6d8a32c29ce6a425efe9c897c42.jpg

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
Many times the victim of theft doesn't even know that he has had anything stolen. He may believe that "it" has been misplaced (to be found later) or truly lost.

I don't believe that Apple would put in place a policy, which would be so difficult to apply. How should a person prove to Apple that the item was lost and not stolen?

The OP just unluckily got a bad CSR. As said earlier, escalate the case until satisfied.
[doublepost=1485450073][/doublepost]
This is literally BS. What thief would leave the case behind.

So then maybe they really are lost!

Reactions: Night Spring
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.