Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

gutefahrt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Other threads outside MR are showing this complaint. Thought I‘d share here. I’m considering returning APP2 due to much worse ANC of wind noise while cycling. If anyone knows of a solution, I’d love to”hear” it before I send ‘em back. Thanks.

Reactions: xObeyThePanda

xObeyThePanda

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2013
same experience here. Also notice a considerable drop in ANC performance when speaking on the phone.

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
Just came back from a 21 miles trail bike ride and have had zero wind noise with my AirPods Pro 2. I'm using Comply foam tips, though.

Reactions: radiologyman

RU763R

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2022
I had the same issues. I couldn’t hear the music on the bike, only wind noise. Apple Support let me replace them but the replacements had the same problem though. You can test it in front of a fan too. Just put the fan on max and turn your head until it the wind noise completely drowns out the music. I have no such problems with the first generation pro’s, both on the bike and the fan test. I’ve returned the second gen now and will keep using my first generation AirPods Pro

miksuppi

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2021
I replaced AirPods Pro 2 original tips by Comply ones because of the high wind noise. Now the wind level is about similar as AirPods Pro when cycling (which has also Comply tips).

RU763R

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2022
I replaced AirPods Pro 2 original tips by Comply ones because of the high wind noise. Now the wind level is about similar as AirPods Pro when cycling (which has also Comply tips).
I also have Comply foam tips and these did nothing for the terrible wind noise on the second gen’s for me. I think it has to do with the new vent on top and it can’t be fixed with different tips or software updates.

ronbrinkmann

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
I never had gen1 so I can’t compare but I’m definitely aware of a lot of wind noise when biking too. Suppose I’ll try comply tips to see if they help but I think I’ve got a pretty good seal (even tried it after licking the tips to moisten before putting in ears). Sure hope there’s some kind of software fix because I love them otherwise.

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
I'd agree with this, wind noise is pretty bad.

I also think that overall the ANC does not feel any better than the APP1. I am at the point where I am wondering if mine are faulty actually. I also have the new Bose and the APP2 are miles away for ANC, it is not even close.

christopherjac

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
Other threads outside MR are showing this complaint. Thought I‘d share here. I’m considering returning APP2 due to much worse ANC of wind noise while cycling. If anyone knows of a solution, I’d love to”hear” it before I send ‘em back. Thanks.

When I first purchased the original Airpods Pro, I coudn't believe how effective the noise cancellation was while bicycle riding - for the first time I could clearly hear podcasts and spoken word audio, with almost no wind noise and no noise from tires on pavement/dirt.

Recently they failed and Apple was nice enough to replace them with new buds, both left and right.

On the replacement pair, the active noise cancellation barely does anything (firmware 4E71). There is a lot of wind noise. If I go into a bathroom and turn on the faucet I can hear everything, on the original ones I could barely hear the water running.

I hope there is a software update in the future that addresses this.

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
I'd agree with this, wind noise is pretty bad.

I also think that overall the ANC does not feel any better than the APP1. I am at the point where I am wondering if mine are faulty actually. I also have the new Bose and the APP2 are miles away for ANC, it is not even close.
Yeah, I went through two pairs of APP2 and gave up. Using the Bose QC II for now, but I am also contemplating just going cheaper for exercise/outdoor use and sticking with my Sony 1000XM5 when indoors.

daibinkun

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2022
I suffered the wind noise during commute cycling with Airpods Pro 2 as well.
Then I changed the smaller earplug(tip?) (M->S) comes with the package and it improved a lot.(80% wind noise gone)
Recommend you try it before there is a firmware update.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I suffered the wind noise during commute cycling with Airpods Pro 2 as well.
Then I changed the smaller earplug(tip?) (M->S) comes with the package and it improved a lot.(80% wind noise gone)
Recommend you try it before there is a firmware update.
Sorry, I might be dense but I couldn't tell if you are saying to change the smaller earplugs to medium ones, or are you going from medium to smaller.

daibinkun

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2022
Sorry, I might be dense but I couldn't tell if you are saying to change the smaller earplugs to medium ones, or are you going from medium to smaller.
Sorry for the confusion caused. What I tried to say is to change the default plug size(M) to the Smaller size (S or even XS). I found myself by using the smaller size plug, the earplug can be inserted slightly deeper than using M and this helped mitigated the wind noise. Thank you.

aracewell

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
Found the same issue after running and biking with the APP2. At the gym, I noticed that higher frequencies, such as the squeaking from a treadmill, seemed to cut right through the noise cancelling. Maybe there's a bug with some frequencies getting through? Really hoping this can be fixed with a firmware update, luckily I have some time to return them as I got these from Costco. Is there a good place to report this issue to Apple?

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
So what's the latest verdict in how the APP 2 compares to APP 1when used for running, especially regarding wind noise and noise cancellation?

aracewell

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
Wind noise is much worse on the APP 2 for biking. I used to be able to bike with them, but now that's not possible. I still like them better than the APP 1, and they're fine for running, but the wind noise on a bike is really bad.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Wind noise is much worse on the APP 2 for biking. I used to be able to bike with them, but now that's not possible. I still like them better than the APP 1, and they're fine for running, but the wind noise on a bike is really bad.
That's really interesting. For running, is there a noticeable difference between APP 1 and APP 2? Running generates wind noise too simply by, well, running forward. There wouldn't be wind noise from running in place such as a treadmill unless a fan is blowing :)

aracewell

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
That's really interesting. For running, is there a noticeable difference between APP 1 and APP 2? Running generates wind noise too simply by, well, running forward. There wouldn't be wind noise from running in place such as a treadmill unless a fan is blowing :)
At running speeds, wind is not an issue as I'm moving too slowly to generate wind noise compared to the speeds of my e-bike. If it's windy outside though, that can be problematic if the wind is head on. Not an issue from the side though.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
At running speeds, wind is not an issue as I'm moving too slowly to generate wind noise compared to the speeds of my e-bike. If it's windy outside though, that can be problematic if the wind is head on. Not an issue from the side though.
Interesting observation!

I kinda makes me wish APP 3 would be known to be released this year.

aracewell

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
Interesting observation!

I kinda makes me wish APP 3 would be known to be released this year.
Obviously no one knows when the next set will be released except Apple, but I think a general consensus would be no APP3 this year. If you already have the 1st gen, I would keep those for running and get the APP2 for everything else. You might even find the APP2 are good enough for your running needs - you do get 14 days to try them out. The sound really is much better.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
@aracewell, you're right! Yeah, I don't expect APP 3 to be released this year. I have been kinda itching to try APP 2 and really determine if I want them to replace my APP 1. Luckily I do live like 15 minutes from an Apple store....

I guess my hesitation is not wanting to be tempted by the "devil" (LOL), devil being just too happy with adopting more and more tech gadgetry ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.