Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

aracewell

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
@aracewell, you're right! Yeah, I don't expect APP 3 to be released this year. I have been kinda itching to try APP 2 and really determine if I want them to replace my APP 1. Luckily I do live like 15 minutes from an Apple store....

I guess my hesitation is not wanting to be tempted by the "devil" (LOL), devil being just too happy with adopting more and more tech gadgetry ;-)
If you care about better sound quality, the APP2 are miles better. I tend to give my old tech to family or friends, which helps me feel at least a bit better about having too many new gadgets. It's a bit alarming how much money I gave Apple last year. Nothing new for me for at least 2 years now, though.

moegold

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2022
Wind noise is much worse on the APP 2 for biking. I used to be able to bike with them, but now that's not possible. I still like them better than the APP 1, and they're fine for running, but the wind noise on a bike is really bad.
Agree completely. I've kept APP 1 just for cycling.

• Sad
Reactions: msackey

racostaf

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2015
Colombia
Just asking, will it have anything to do with the place of origin of the airpods? Mine have the serial number D9M….., and another, who apparently does not have this problem, is KKX….

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Just asking, will it have anything to do with the place of origin of the airpods? Mine have the serial number D9M….., and another, who apparently does not have this problem, is KKX….
Interesting! So you're saying you have two different AirPods Pro 2. One exhibits wind noise issue, but the other one doesn't? Fascinating!

Well, it's been a while since APP2 has come out. If indeed there were different versions, maybe if I get one now it would be the latest version with this issue resolved???? (Here's hoping)

Reactions: racostaf

racostaf

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2015
Colombia
Interesting! So you're saying you have two different AirPods Pro 2. One exhibits wind noise issue, but the other one doesn't? Fascinating!

Well, it's been a while since APP2 has come out. If indeed there were different versions, maybe if I get one now it would be the latest version with this issue resolved???? (Here's hoping)
Actually, mine were purchased in the second week of January...

AinOR

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2023
I’ve come up with my own solution for this problem. It won’t be for everyone, but here it is.

First, anyone using ANC while cycling. Stop. That’s ridiculous. Use your brain.

The reason I love AirPods Pro 2 for cycling is how I can use the incredible transparency mode and have music/podcasts AND a still be fully aware of my surroundings. But, yes… the wind noise does get to be too much at any higher speeds. Something I don’t think I’ve seen discussed in this thread is that, take out the AirPods and it’ll be just about the same with the wind noise created naturally by your own ears. Apple’s transparency mode is so good. And again, if your complaint is about the wind noise created while using ANC, stop. That’s dumb and dangerous not only for you, but the others around you. Same goes for running, skiing, skateboarding… anything you do at higher than walking-speeds around other people.

So, here’s my solution. Headset microphone windscreens cut to fit over the outer microphone opening. Not particularly stylish, but it it lets me use transparency mode and changes the intensely rushing wind noise down to a soft whoosh without effecting the transparency mode at all. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpeg
    IMG_0327.jpeg
    301.7 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0326.jpeg
    IMG_0326.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 162

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
Any news on this, or other solutions?

Will probably try AinOR’s foam suggestion though.

AinOR

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2023
Any news on this, or other solutions?

Will probably try AinOR’s foam suggestion though.
These are the foams that I bought. I tried a different one after these looking for a higher density and higher quality foam, but they ended up being too big and I haven’t gone searching for better ones again, but these work well.

Tetra-Teknica MNWS5P Mini-size Lapel Microphone Windscreen, Color Black, 5-Pack https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Teknica-MNWS5P-Mini-size-Microphone-Windscreen/dp/B00B6KMDU8

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
I've got the same wind issue on my new APP2 with USB-C, so it's not been resolved with this iteration...

Only takes a slight breeze when I'm outside and there it is.

meleshuk

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2023
I was hoping the new USB-C version would be as good as my original Airpods Pro for biking, but it's pretty bad in both ANC and transparency modes, wind noise worse than wired at speed.
Interestingly, the noise fully disappears when I turn my head sideways something like 30+ degrees. It's a pity that I can't ride like that :)
Will try the foam trick.

mexa

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
It's a hardware problem, but it doesn't occur with all 2nd gen pods! I had the 1st gen for a few years and now bought the 2nd gen with USB-C on Black Friday. Immediately after purchase I noticed a wind noise when cycling, as if someone was blowing into the microphones.
Since I noticed a crack in the housing of one of the pods, I went to Apple and had them both replaced. On the bike ride from the store to work, I noticed that the new pods no longer had the problem. The noise is the same as with the 1st gen, so you can hear wind, but it's just normal wind noise blowing around your ear, not a processed sound being replayed on the pods.
Before that I thought maybe the problem was due to the slightly different design (e.g. vent on top) and taped the vent as well. Didn't change anything. I bought the 2nd gen with USB-C. These were made in Vietnam. The replacement pods now come from China. The versions (A3047, A3048) of the pods still match Apple's specifications for the 2nd gen with USB-C.
So I can only advise everyone to go to Apple and exchange the fauly ones. The firmware version doesn't seem to matter either. The new ones were initially on 6A300 and now on 6B32. It makes no difference.

Last edited:

aracewell

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
It's a hardware problem, but it doesn't occur with all 2nd gen pods! I had the 1st gen for a few years and now bought the 2nd gen with USB-C on Black Friday. Immediately after purchase I noticed a wind noise when cycling, as if someone was blowing into the microphones.
Since I noticed a crack in the housing of one of the pods, I went to Apple and had them both replaced. On the bike ride from the store to work, I noticed that the new pods no longer had the problem. The noise is the same as with the 1st gen, so you can hear wind, but it's just normal wind noise blowing around your ear, not a processed sound being replayed on the pods.
Before that I thought maybe the problem was due to the slightly different design (e.g. vent on top) and taped the vent as well. Didn't change anything. I bought the 2nd gen with USB-C. These were made in Vietnam. The replacement pods now come from China. The versions (A3047, A3048) of the pods still match Apple's specifications for the 2nd gen with USB-C.
So I can only advise everyone to go to Apple and exchange the fauly ones. The firmware version doesn't seem to matter either. The new ones were initially on 6A300 and now on 6B32. It makes no difference.
Do you still find the wind noise to be improved, equal to the 1st gen? Trying to decide if it's worth going into Apple to ask for a new pair. Thanks!

mexa

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Do you still find the wind noise to be improved, equal to the 1st gen? Trying to decide if it's worth going into Apple to ask for a new pair. Thanks!
Sorry for the late feedback. Yes, the noise is the same (good one) as ist was with the Gen 1. Go and exchange them, it's worth it!

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
These are the foams that I bought. I tried a different one after these looking for a higher density and higher quality foam, but they ended up being too big and I haven’t gone searching for better ones again, but these work well.

Tetra-Teknica MNWS5P Mini-size Lapel Microphone Windscreen, Color Black, 5-Pack https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Teknica-MNWS5P-Mini-size-Microphone-Windscreen/dp/B00B6KMDU8
Hi, are you still using this solution, or have you found something better?

cigz

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2016
I got my AirPods Pro 2 with USB-C charging case 2 months ago because I lost my 1st gen and I took them today for the first time on a bike and I barely could hear the music because of the wind, I had to turn up the volume to around 70-80% which is way too much for me when I'm using them at home or anywhere. It was really uncomfortable hearing the wind so much and Siri didn't work at all.
1st gen AirPods Pro were a lot better and by looking at the comments it's probably hardware issue, not software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.