Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Badcat3

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2021
Sigh, I want to love these things so bad but they hurt and cause very obvious redness in my ears. I’ve tried all three tip sizes over the past two days with breaks in-between, still hurt.

How could gen 1 & 2 fit so comfortaby, sometimes even forgetting they were on.

What could be the major design difference that could be causing this?

Also, threads on reddit are starting to pop up with others having the same issue.

Thanks.
Yes they do! My problem isn’t with the tips, it’s with the hard exterior shell that pushed on what I guess is cartilage-makes my right ear very sore, and slightly hurts my left ear as well. I never thought I’d find so many other people who’re having problems with these AirPods causing pain. Funny thing is, I got them for Christmas 2020 and didn’t have this problem until a couple weeks ago. My ears haven’t changed, so what’s the deal?! Guess I’ll have to see about another brand but I love the ease of how these connect to all my Apple devices. Oh well. ??‍♀️

Reactions: johntw

nyc232

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
I’m happy to report that the second generation of the AirPods Pro now work great with my ears!

I believe there was a slight change to the shape of the buds themselves, and perhaps the new vent placement is releasing pressure in a different way.

Whatever it is, I am thrilled that I get to now use the best-of-the-best in terms of wireless earbuds.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
Interesting to hear. I remember not liking gen1 but kinda want to try the new ones again. Currently still love Airpods gen 2 for simply daily wear and then Beats Fit Pro if I want ANC or improved sound quality. Still think I might hate the stalk control system. Simply love tapping or clicking (Beats) to pause/play. The whole pinching thing required to much precession in comparison.

Misheemee

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
I’m happy to report that the second generation of the AirPods Pro now work great with my ears!

I believe there was a slight change to the shape of the buds themselves, and perhaps the new vent placement is releasing pressure in a different way.

Whatever it is, I am thrilled that I get to now use the best-of-the-best in terms of wireless earbuds.
Same thing happened with me! Couldn’t do Gen 1 (my ears didn’t like them and I bought them twice, trying to convince myself!), but I’m LOVING Gen 2 and they fit and they’re soooo comfortable to wear

Not sure what changed, but I’m really happy it did!

• Love
Reactions: nyc232

nyc232

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Interesting to hear. I remember not liking gen1 but kinda want to try the new ones again. Currently still love Airpods gen 2 for simply daily wear and then Beats Fit Pro if I want ANC or improved sound quality. Still think I might hate the stalk control system. Simply love tapping or clicking (Beats) to pause/play. The whole pinching thing required to much precession in comparison.
The stalk controls are actually very elegant, just require a gentle touch that you eventually get use to. But to your point, I cannot see myself running with these - this is where the stalk controls would be difficult to operate.

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
Same. APP1 hurt I had to give them away. Been rocking AP3 and I love everything about them. Just picked up APP2 and with the small tips, feel great for me. Medium is a bit too stuffy, which is weird cuz I’m a 6”2 dude. But whatever, glad we’re back!

DGGoingUphill

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2015

Same here about the new shape. Couldn't stand the old ones, but the new ones I can wear for hours.

galanot

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
Madrid (Spain)
Same. APP1 hurt I had to give them away. Been rocking AP3 and I love everything about them. Just picked up APP2 and with the small tips, feel great for me. Medium is a bit too stuffy, which is weird cuz I’m a 6”2 dude. But whatever, glad we’re back!
When you say they hurt you mean they’re not comfortable or did you experience itching and redness in ear canal as many have suffered?

nStyle

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2009

This is my experience too. I don’t understand what they changed but I don’t feel hardly anything with the 2nd gen whereas within ten minutes I started to feel a little pain with the 1st gen.

I was about to make a thread and saw this…no reviewer is talking about this but it’s a very real thing and nothing I expected so it’s making me very glad I upgraded. I’m sure it depends on your ears but the regular AirPods always felt perfect (and still probably fit my ear a little better) and now these are much closer to that.

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
Oh dang, I hated and had to return the APP1 after a week because of the pain they caused my ears… now I wonder if I should try APP2…

I’ve been loving my AP3s. Bah! So curious now lol

• Haha
Reactions: Misheemee

nStyle

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2009
Oh dang, I hated and had to return the APP1 after a week because of the pain they caused my ears… now I wonder if I should try APP2…

I’ve been loving my AP3s. Bah! So curious now lol

Well if you don't need ANC then probably no real reason. To be honest I don't need it most of the time but in situations where it's nice to have, I'm glad I have it. The sound quality is good on the APP2 but not an extreme improvement over the originals.

jared52

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
Oh wow. I was hoping someone who were bothered by the APP1 would try the APP2. Though it seems ear pain affects people differently. Some people feel the pain in the ear canal whereas I feel it on the outer part of the ear where the bulb rests. I tried all the tips and none helped. I also tried the AP3 and really loved those, but they hurt all the same. I have only been able to wear the AP2 (and AP1 obviously) for longer than 20 min. Those never bothered me at all. I hope others who have had a similar experience will chime in.

How long are you able to wear the APP2?

Reactions: stiligFox

nyc232

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Oh wow. I was hoping someone who were bothered by the APP1 would try the APP2. Though it seems ear pain affects people differently. Some people feel the pain in the ear canal whereas I feel it on the outer part of the ear where the bulb rests. I tried all the tips and none helped. I also tried the AP3 and really loved those, but they hurt all the same. I have only been able to wear the AP2 (and AP1 obviously) for longer than 20 min. Those never bothered me at all. I hope others who have had a similar experience will chime in.

How long are you able to wear the APP2?
Hours, seriously hours, even with ANC on.

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
ALLLLLLRIIIIIIGHT

I ordered them. Will be here tomorrow... I'll see if they're actually better for me too!

I had tried the APP1's twice. The second time only reaffirmed how badly I disliked them and the pain they caused, so I should know pretty much right away!

jared52

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
ALLLLLLRIIIIIIGHT

I ordered them. Will be here tomorrow... I'll see if they're actually better for me too!

I had tried the APP1's twice. The second time only reaffirmed how badly I disliked them and the pain they caused, so I should know pretty much right away!
Looking forward to your experience. Or not since it means I’ll be tempted to buy if it’s good. 😂

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
Well, dangit

I really, really wanted to hate these. I fully expected them to feel awful, to hurt my ears like before. I wanted to prove to myself that I wouldn't like them any more than my AP3s, and that I should return them.

BUT AFTER A DAY OF USE, THEY'RE AMAZING.

Granted, I finally figured something out - on the APP1s, I always tried the medium or small tips, and they hurt so bad trying to cram them in my ears - I have tiny canals - and never could get a good seal, and they'd always fall out, and my ears would get hot and burn.

With these, I've actually found the large tips fit best, just sealing the opening of my ear, and now I get a consistent seal every time, and by golly, they sound so much better than the AP3s; much more full sounding. AND SO COMFORTABLE. I barely feel them! And no more burning or hot ears like with the APP1s.

Going to wear them for a few more days, but looks like I'll be selling my AP3s....

kht410

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2016

Same here. I tried the APP1 multiple times since its release in 2019 but they never fit comfortably. It would start hurting my ears in the concha area after about 30mins of listening.

I now have the APP2 and they are definitely more comfortable. I accidentally fell asleep with them on my ears because they were that comfortable.

HelyCopter

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2021
Well, dangit

I really, really wanted to hate these. I fully expected them to feel awful, to hurt my ears like before. I wanted to prove to myself that I wouldn't like them any more than my AP3s, and that I should return them.

Granted, I finally figured something out - on the APP1s, I always tried the medium or small tips, and they hurt so bad trying to cram them in my ears - I have tiny canals - and never could get a good seal, and they'd always fall out, and my ears would get hot and burn.

With these, I've actually found the large tips fit best, just sealing the opening of my ear, and now I get a consistent seal every time, and by golly, they sound so much better than the AP3s; much more full sounding. AND SO COMFORTABLE. I barely feel them! And no more burning or hot ears like with the APP1s.

Going to wear them for a few more days, but looks like I'll be selling my AP3s....
any update, are they still good?

jared52

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
Same here. I tried the APP1 multiple times since its release in 2019 but they never fit comfortably. It would start hurting my ears in the concha area after about 30mins of listening.

I now have the APP2 and they are definitely more comfortable. I accidentally fell asleep with them on my ears because they were that comfortable.
Well, dangit

I appreciate both of you getting back to us. You've certainly got me thinking about picking them up. I could do so like I did with the AP3 and return them if they don't work for me.

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
any update, are they still good?
Yup! Using them all day and it's been great. Fell asleep with them on for two hours until Siri pinged me with a message and woke me up, didn't even feel them while sleeping. Took a walk with them, they were great. So comfortable, no irritation at all.

Something else strange is that the APP1s made my tinnitus so bad that I'd have to rip them out in pain after a couple hours of listening on them. A high pitched squeal as if my tinnitus had been amplified greatly by using them. It persisted even after removing them, and took a few months to fully heal back to the normal tinnitus volume I'm used to. The AP3s didn't cause this at all, and surprisingly, the APP2s have not been causing it at all either (it was something I noticed the first couple times I used the APP1s, it had an immediate effect that I just tried to live through for the couple weeks I had them.)

Definitely couldn't be happier! They sound amazing, the ANC is amazing, and I'm def going to be selling my AP3s (even though I love them too!)

Really happy I decided to give them a try after despising the APP1s after two tries at those!

kht410

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2016
I appreciate both of you getting back to us. You've certainly got me thinking about picking them up. I could do so like I did with the AP3 and return them if they don't work for me.
I recommend that you do give it another try and return if they don’t work as you said. At the end of the day, we’re all just words on the internet here. The best way to make the decision is by experiencing it yourself. Good luck!

kht410

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2016
I completely agree with your statement here. For exercising when you’re moving around a lot, I still think the tapping/clicking method on Beats Fit Pro is much better. I've also been using the Beats Fit Pro since it came out because I find them more comfortable than the APP1.

Maybe I’m just not used to it yet but I’m not a big fan of the squeeze control on the APP (1,2). You have to aim and it forces you to yank on it a bit causing you to reposition the buds in your ears. Not ideal for changing music while running. I do like the swipe volume control though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.