Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumorsRanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2020
So there appears to be a widespread issue with the AirPods Pro: they seem to eventually develop a rattling noise when Noise Cancellation or Transparency is in use. It is believed to be a hardware problem at this stage and fairly widespread.

Apologies for the use of yet another "-gate", but no one seems to have a consistant name for this issue: terms like "rattling", "crackling", "clicking", "staticy", "clacking", "rumbling", and "crinkling" are just some of the phrases I've seen used. I'm hoping to draw some attention to the issue, both so people experiencing it know they're not alone or doing something wrong, but also to put some pressure on Apple to acknowledge the problem and properly resolve it (instead of people getting replacements that go on to develop the same problem).

The Problem

After some time people are noticing that when their AirPods Pros (APP) are in Noise Cancellation or Transparency modes, they'll hear a rattling noise. It doesn't occur when the APP are in Off mode.

This occurs whenever something causes the APP earbud to move or vibrate. I've personally experienced this when walking (with a rattle noise with each footstep), when tapping the affected earbud with my finger, when clearing my throat, when playing music with a lot of bass, or when turning my head or nodding. Others have reported it also occurring when even playing music without much bass, when there are external sounds, or when talking.

It's often described like it sounds like something has come loose inside the APP earbud. Many people seem to think it's actually a problem with the external microphone: it appears to be picking up tiny vibrations as sound, and then attempting to "cancel" (in Noise Cancellation mode) or amplify (in Transparency mode) these sounds (which don't actually exist), causing the APP to play the rattling-style noise. Whether this is the actual cause or not I don't know.

For most people it only affects a single earbud initially.

Apple's Response

Apple are currently replacing affected earbuds under warranty. However, there are widespread reports of the replacements eventually developing the same fault (and indeed I can personally confirm this).

There are reports of the process being pretty painful initially, with Apple reps taking users through hours of troubleshooting steps on the phone before eventually offering a replacement. However most recent reports have Apple now offering replacements fairly quickly, which makes me think they know it is an issue internally.

I would like to see Apple acknowledge the issue, and resolve it so those receiving replacements don't end up having the same issue weeks or months later. Many people have expressed concern about what they're going to do when their warranty period runs out.

Firmware

There have been reports of certain firmware versions causing Noise Cancellation degration and other issues. However this issue is seperate from those: it has been confirmed happening with both the 2C54 firmware (which Apple pulled) and the 2B588 firmware (what new and replacement APPs are coming with).

Solutions

There are no current solutions except to obtain a replacement from Apple. Which sadly appears to be a temporary with all the reports of replacement APP earbuds eventually developing the same issue.

There have been some reports of sucking on the APP earbuds, wiping down the grills with cleaner, or using blutac to remove wax/dust helping, but please don't try these. You'll likely damage the APP further, and potentially violate the warranty allowing Apple to refuse replacement.

Please don't think that you've in some way used your APP "wrong": this issue seems widespread and it is still affecting those that treat their APP perfectly.

How Widespread ts This?

It seems this is very widespread. Just a quick internet search turns up tons of people having the same issue. Sadly, most people think it is specific to them, that they've done something wrong, or they're waiting for a firmware update to see if that fixes it.

To illustrate the issues, I'm including some comments and their sources below. I've only selected comments describing the issue: you'll find many more folks chiming in with "me too!" style comments in the links for these.

"I feel strongly that the Airpods Pro are the worst item I have ever purchased. I have have both buds break repeatedly. My left bud just started rattling again after having been replaced for that problem ~4 months ago."
Source

"Yeah, this needs to blow up. I got my replacement one month ago, now the replaced Airpod Pro (left side) has the exact same issue again. I only had them for two months, so their reliability seems absolutely poor."
Source

"It was a rattle with one of the microphones, every small movement made it sound like a maraca (only in ANC and Trans mode)."
Source

"So I take super good care of my AirPods they only ever went from case to ears, never ever anywhere else. However, the left air suddenly began to have issues, the fit test no longer shows them as fitting. Random audio artifacts, crackling and sounds when on transparency or noise cancelation. [...] I was just sitting here minding my business, called out to someone and my right airpod buzzed like my broken left one used to... this is ridiculous."
Source

"I’ve had my right AirPod replaced three times! Just like OP, I’ve been really careful with my airpods. I’ve never dropped them or damaged them."
Source

"I’ve gotten mine replaced about once a month for three months. Worried since the first time it happened that this is just an unfixable hardware design flaw."
Source

"If your AirPods Pro have crackling or popping sounds when ANC or Transparency mode are on, you aren’t alone. There have been like 6 posts regarding this issue on this sub in the last day alone."
Source

"I’ve had 4 hardware replacements because of the rattling sound. I’ve never hated an Apple product before. But this is just ****ing embarrassing. Hot garbage."
Source

"Right now in both noise cancelling mode and transparency mode (but not OFF mode), every time I move, even doing something as slight as moving my jaw, my left airpod makes this ‘rattling’ sound"
Source

"I returned my first pair of pros because of that, got my second and shortly into having them they started doing the same thing. Sitting on the bus or eating with them in is unbearable."
Source

"My AirPods Pro have a crackling sound when I clear my throat, and even when I am, chewing gum. This is ridiculous, a $249 AirPods that are really annoying. I see that other people are having the same issue."
Source

"my right AirPod developed a clicking sound whenever ANC/Transparency mode was active. Whenever the AirPod is touched slightly by moving my head or touching it, you can hear a clicking/rattling sound. When both modes are off, the sound is not present. [...] Today my left AirPod has also started producing this clicking/rattling sound whenever touched."
Source

"I swear to god I don’t know what the hell is wrong with my airpods pro. It was clicking, sounded like a Geiger counter. It clicked whenever I moved my jaw, tilted my head, if wind blew past it, and when I talked. I got it replaced and now it’s doing it again! It’s only when they are noise cancelling or I’m transparency, so I just turned that off."
Source

"I've had 3 pairs do this exact same thing, I've given up on the Pros and went back to my Gen2's."
Source

"I’ve got the AirPods pro since day one and I’ve been loving them since. But by January they started to make a vibration like noise that occurs with transparency or ANC modes on. Especially when I’m playing something loud. It happens also when I walk or move my jaw without playing anything. I’ve replaced them 4 times and the problem still coming back."
Source

"I’m facing an issue with my right AirPods Pro. It’s like an interference noise when I walk, when there is wind or when a supercar passes by (today was one Ferrari, a M5 and a Lamborghini). So I contacting Apple Support and I’m getting them replaced, as the issue is now appearing on the left one."
Source

"I've had 3 pairs. All of them have developed crackling and popping issues, especially when talking (Phone especially), and when in ANC or transparency mode. Once it happened in the left earbud. Got it replaced. Then it developed in the right. Got it replaced. Eventually developed in both."
Source

"Moving with my pros in causes a clicking/rattle sound/sensation. The movement can be as simple as chewing, if I move my head in any way the left ear clicks. It doesn't seem to be an audio issue, but a hardware issue."
Source

"my right AirPod Pro began to develop a strange phenomenon where, when in ANC, it would produce a crackling noise when I moved, touched the AirPod, or when the volume was turned up anywhere past 50%"
Source

"I had was the crackling noise in the right AirPod Pro about 1 month ago. My first thought was that there was something physically loose in the AirPod Pro and I went ahead and contacted Apple Support as the stores were now closed. They sent me my first replacement for the right Pro. [...] Fast forward to Monday (4/13). I put my AirPods Pro in at the grocery store and sure enough, the LEFT one now has the clicking/crackling."
Source

"When I clear my throat/burp while listening to music, my right earbud crackles...but only with ANC/Transparency mode turned ON."
Source

"I had that exact same issue on my right airpod; not only coughing/burping but just with ANC or Transparency mode on; took them to Apple and they decided to replace it; they don't have any in stock so I'll have to wait for them to get them and then 'I'll get it replaced."
Source

"Had the exact same issue with left unit, also got a buzz with any kind of bass transient."
Source

"Had similar issues first with the left then the right. I believed it was the os update. Called support once and they kept me going w/ the same three or four questions and two reps for 1.5 hours."
Source

"the right Airpod Pro was having a rattling noise when volume was to high and while moving around, I tried changing the fit but it didn't work. The left one was fine, no problems at all."
Source

"Mine rattles with head movement and crackles with talking, but goes away when in “Off.”"
Source

"Anyone experience a rattling sound when walking or turning your head with them in? Only happens on the left one, and can only hear it with music off."
Source

"I had the sane problem develop and the left AirPod replaced in January. The replacement AirPod started showing the same symptoms."
Source

"I had a clicking type of sound in my right AirPod when I moved. I only heard it when on noice canceling or transparency mode, not when the mode was set to Off. I chatted with Apple support today via iMessage and they are mailing me a replacement."
Source

"I had my left AirPod replaced due to cracking and popping noises in it."
Source

"I contacted Apple over the weekend to get a replacement for my left AirPod Pro that was starting to experience the rattling noise when in transparency or NC mode. "
Source

"Received replacement for left and works great but now the right is rattling. I believe the right has been rattling but not as bad and was masked a bit by how bad the left was rattling. Getting the right replaced now."
Source

"Made an account here to chime in, purchased AirPods Pro (2B588) this year and the right pair has a rattling sound which is apparent (on NC) on a bumpy ride (public transport)."
Source

"Yup I'm chatting with Apple Support right now about this issue, my right AirPod Pro starting doing it about two weeks ago, haven't had time to research it until today.
But I was already familiar with this problem as my friend had to get one of his replaced too for the same thing."
Source

"For me just touching the left Airpod causes a squeaky noise only when sound cancellation or transparency is on. I can't run with either option as it squeaks with each step... it is so irritating."
Source

"Recently my left headphone (only) has been buzzing at certain moments (mostly when windy and/or playing reasonably loudly) when I have either ANC or Transparency on. It doesn't happen at all when I just turn to 'off' but obviously the sound quality isn't as good as on the other types."
Source

"Airpod Pro Owners: Have you had a clicking or static noise in your AirPods and gotten them replaced? I’m calling Apple for my 4th replacement today since I got them launch day."
Source

"Yes. Received a replacement today. Clicking noise started 2 months after purchase on the right airpod. Got a new left and right."
Source

"I've just arranged my second replacement for this issue. The first pair were on 2C54, but the replacement pair (which still developed the fault) are on 2B588. Sadly it seems like a hardware fault, not a firmware issue."
Source

"Same issues here, got my left one replaced, now my right one has the same crackling issues. Just called in to get another replacement. It's nice that Apple support is responsive and the replacements are free, but for $250, this is unacceptable."
Source

"I hear popping and a solid, very consistent thumping coming from my right airpod every time I walk. Anyone else? Replaced my airpods 2 times for this issue, and it always comes back"
Source

"I have a weird noise (like static )when i talk with my right airpod and it’s in transparency mode.Furthemore when I walk or when I move my head I listen a weird noise too."
Source

"For the past few days or so, my airpods pro kept on buzzing when i use transparency/anc mode (more so when im using transparency. The issue only occured when i spoke or move my jaw. Weirdly, when i use the ‘off’ mode, it doesn’t seem to occur."
Source

"I keep hearing a static on it whenever I’m on a call or even if I move around slightly during regular use. It sounds almost like there’s a rattling or moving piece of the speaker in my ear. The right AirPod works just fine."
Source

"Guys this is not a firmware issue. I've had this issue 4 times now. Apple has confirmed each time that it was indeed a hardware issue. Something with a mic rattling lose or something. Waiting for a firmware update is not going to fix it. Call/chat with Apple and they will mail you a replacement."
Source

"This. I had my left pod replaced over this issue a few months ago, and now my right one is doing the same."
Source

"Same. I got my airpods replaced 3 times due to rattling right unit and the rattling reappears after a month or so. I hardly believe replacing a unit would solve the issue unless they release a different hardware version or firmware. Disappointing quality for product costs over $300 indeed."
Source

"So I have had the AirPod Pros since the day they came out and they have been working perfectly until about a week ago. There is a rattling noise in my left AirPod that gets significantly worse the louder the volume is."
Source

"I have had the same issue in my right bud for a while, tried cleaning it but it didn’t help. Basically whenever I slightly touch it, it produces this rattling sound - if I’m just sat without moving it’s fine but it’s impossible to use them with a hoodie on. It’s like the mic is picking up too much sound and messes with NC/transparency."
Source

"Rattling in AirPod Pros when external microphone in use (I.e. Noise Cancelling, Transparency) [...] About a month ago, I began to hear a rattling in my left AirPod. At first I just attributed it to my AirPod being loose in my ear, but I found that if you turn off noise cancelling and transparency, the noise becomes much much fainter, to the point that you can only hear it if you are in a very quiet area."
Source

"Recently, my right airpod began to experience issues. First, it was the annoying ticking sound, which randomly went away. Then last week, the right airpod decided to take a turn for the worst. Talking, coughing, sneezing, etc. would produce this horrible sound in the airpod, like it was rattling inside. Keep in mind, this issue only happened in ANC and transparency mode. It continued to get worse. Any music with bass would cause the airpod to sound like it was rattling. It got to the point where I could hear a very faint rattle when ANC and transparency modes were turned off. Music became unbearable."
Source

"I'm recently experiencing a very annoying issue with the left in-ear headphone, it is a buzzing-like noise and I hear it especially when I talk and I call. I also hear it if I lightly tap on it, or when I try to adjust it in my ear, on the contrary on the right one it doesn't occur. [...] It occurs both on noise cancelling or Transparency mode."
Source

"I’ve only had my AirPods Pro for a bit over a month and my right AirPod has a rattling noise which originally was just when I coughed or cleared my throat and now it’s litterally every slight move it rattles."
Source

"Yes, I am experiencing the same issue too, it originally started with my right Airpod, I got that replaced with their DIY service but now recently it has started with my left one too. Songs with heavy bass or when running, it seems to very noticeable, One thing I’ve noticed, I don’t know if it’s the same with everyone else but when the AirPods are on the “OFF” position it’s not noticeable at all"
Source

There are many, many more reports out there, but I can't keep copy-pasting forever! Hopefully the above is enough to convince folks that this issue is common among APP owners.

Anyway, if you've experienced the issue please do let us know how you got on seeking a replacement, and whether issues developed with the replacement as well. At the very least hopefully this post gives some folks more information that they're not alone, and something to point Apple support reps to if they're being difficult offering a replacement!

IRF

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2020
Yep, mine developed an exact same behavior! During calls with loud speaker bar or heavy bass music playing very loudly! FFS apple, you have to baby those expensive things! Cleaning painfully once a week, AT Least, to maintain correct functionality and a ton of bugs and things to consider... I really don’t get how this problematic don’t get wider spread in media and such. This is definitely a faulty designed product for the bin.

Reactions: floral and boqurant

MacRumorsRanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2020
I really don’t get how this problematic don’t get wider spread in media and such. This is definitely a faulty designed product for the bin.
Yeah, right now most people with the issue are assuming they're doing something wrong, or have other things to worry about in light of the pandemic, and so despite being widespread this issue seems to be going under the radar.

I must admit I assumed I must have done something wrong and let dust or sweat or something get in the first pair. But I was paranoid with my replacement pair, and the same fault ended up appearing just 5-6 weeks later.

This is definitely a faulty designed product for the bin.
Yeah, it's a bit of a worry if it turns out not to be an easy fix and an actual design fault. Then we're all screwed when the warranty period runs out. ?

Reactions: boqurant

v1kram

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2020
Extremely detailed post. Thanx.

And yes, I have had my Airpods Pro changed within three months of purchase. Now the new ones are having the same problem.

Crackling/rattling sound, like they are those cheap headphones. At times it's unbearable, especially when you are listening to tunes with bass. Completely destroys the title song of ’Westworld’, and this is not bass heavy like hip hop.

Further, it makes the rattling sound when I touch the earbuds, while talking, while walking - the rattle is at every step I take.

I believe it's not the external mic that's the problem. I think the problem is with the inner mic which cancels the noise bouncing from the eardrums. Therefore at a certain low frequency, which the eardrums were cancelling themselves (through our own brains) is being amplified to a higher frequency. That is why when we nod our head the rattling does not happen.

I am no engineer, but Apple neds to fix this. This is definitely a software problem, and they know this from long. Otherwise there is no reason for them to reduce the noise cancellation intensity, when competitors are increasing it.

So end to end, Apple screws up the noise cancellation with faulty design, and then screws it up further by reducing the noise cancellation intensity.

Have to bear with this due to the lockdown and all establishments being closed. Even then I don't know when the replacements will arrive. We pay a premium to Apple so that we don't have these problems, but this is disappointing.

MacRumorsRanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2020
Now the new ones are having the same problem.
That's the problem really, we all understand that manufacturing faults and bugs can happen, but when it's not fixed and the replacements all have the same problem it's pretty frustrating. Lots of reports of people up to their 4th and sometimes 5th replacement set. I'm up to my second replacement set.

Further, it makes the rattling sound when I touch the earbuds, while talking, while walking - the rattle is at every step I take.

Sums it up well, exactly my experience. +1 on the Westworld intro too!

I believe it's not the external mic that's the problem. I think the problem is with the inner mic which cancels the noise
Yeah, sorry, I explained that badly. It could be the mic that picks up ambient sounds so they can be cancelled out by the speaker. But as you said, the reference mic inside the ear performs a similar role, and I assume if it's mistakenly picking up vibrations as sound it could cause the rattle/distortions. I don't know what the cause is, but the mics do seem implicated.

screws it up further by reducing the noise cancellation intensity.
I do wonder if these are related, for example whether Apple intentionally toned down noise cancellation with the release of the 2B588 firmware to reduce the likelihood of this rattle occurring or delay its appearance.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Going through exactly the same issue. In addition to this issue the first bud they replaced had quite a noticeable static that was quite annoying with podcasts. Music was fine for the most part.

last Week they agreed to replace bith buds and the charging case (different issue where the left bud wouldn’t always charge) However they messed up big time.

first, they applied multiple holds In my card, to a point which triggered my banks anti fraud Measures.

second, they send three Separate shipments which in my opinion is A total waste of resources.

third, they failed to provide Any kind of returns label or envelope, so I’m now stuckwith two sets of AirPods pro and no way to release the holding deposit in my bank account.

not the best experience so far....

MacRumorsRanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2020
first, they applied multiple holds In my card, to a point which triggered my banks anti fraud Measures.
Ugh, that sounds like a nightmare.

I did see a Reddit thread where someone had multiple holds happen, from memory they ended up getting the holds released after reaching out to Apple's chat support. Might be worth a shot if you're still stuck with them.

While I can understand why they do the holds, as a debit card user it's pretty annoying not having access to your own money for weeks.

second, they send three Separate shipments which in my opinion is A total waste of resources.
Yep, same thing on both occasions for me: a package for each bud.

third, they failed to provide Any kind of returns label or envelope
The process probably varies from country to country, but here is how it worked for me:

I got an email titled "Your replacement part has shipped.". At the very bottom of that email there was a "Repair Status" link. Clicking on that took me to a page with a blue "Print Label" button I could use to print a shipping label. I then chucked my old buds in the same packaging the replacements came in, taped the boxes together, slapped the printed shipping label on it, and then took it to my local post office and handed it over.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
I got mine the 2nd week after they were released. Developed this issue in January, but it came on gradually - enough so that I started questioning my memory... Were they always like this? But then in February, they got to the point whereas you mentioned - every touch, every step, every little movement caused it to happen.

Took them into the store end of February - waited - the fellow came out - I told him what was happening - he went into the back and came out with a MacBook and some weird USB cable - for attaching the MacBook to the AirPods case - this was no regular charging cable. He says he's going to run diagnostics and find out what's going on.

So, he sets everything up and I say - why don't you just put them in your ears. I tell him you don't need music or anything just put them in and touch them or take a few steps. So he does. He puts them in, touched them, frowns, takes a few steps - then takes them out, looks at me and says "Yeah, I've never seen this problem with these before. They need to be replaced"

He ordered new ones for me on the spot which I was able to pick up the next day.

I'll add one thing about my old ones that were replaced. They also started developing an issue where when you took them out of the case, the battery level on one of them (it would switch) would show as a red circle with an exclamation mark. Putting them back in the case, closing it, then reopening would usually then solve that.

Regardless, hoping my replacements keep going strong...

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I purchased my AirPod Pros in November and just made arrangements today with Apple Support to have them replaced because of this issue.

I have noticed this crackling / rattling for quite a while, but don't recall if it began when I first started using the AirPods, or at some later point.

I didn't even think about having them replaced until I noticed the discussion threads here on this subject and realized that it was a defect and that mine would be eligible for replacement.

The replacement process was very straightforward and did not take very long. I notice that one of the points mentioned in the IP is that some users had to go through very lengthy discussions with Apple Support before being offered a replacement. That was not my experience, at most my chat with them was perhaps 10 minutes long including explaining the problem, answering a few questions, etc.

Considering how small these are, the technology incorporated into them, the battery life, how excellent the noise cancellation feature is, etc., this is a pretty minor problem in my opinion.

Reactions: Tagbert

MacRumorsRanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2020
I got mine the 2nd week after they were released. Developed this issue in January, but it came on gradually - enough so that I started questioning my memory... Were they always like this? But then in February, they got to the point whereas you mentioned - every touch, every step, every little movement caused it to happen.
Exactly how it played out for me as well. It came on gradually sometime in January. Initially I thought it must be a firmware update issue and was trying to be patient hoping a firmware update would fix it, but by mid February I couldn't stand it anymore and contacted Apple.

Sadly, the replacement pair started doing the same thing last month (well, in the right bud instead of the left this time) and I've had to do another replacement. It came on gradually as well.

I notice that one of the points mentioned in the IP is that some users had to go through very lengthy discussions with Apple Support before being offered a replacement. That was not my experience, at most my chat with them was perhaps 10 minutes long including explaining the problem, answering a few questions, etc.
Yes, Apple have definitely improved the process. Which is why I think must be a known issue internally now, so they have a support process for it (but not something they're publicly disclosing, at least not yet).

My first replacement took about 1.5 hours to arrange: about 30mins in chat running through troubleshooting steps, then the Apple support rep asked we continue the process over the phone, and then it got escalated to another support rep, which added another 60mins. My second replacement was much faster at around 20mins: I described the issue via chat, they asked a couple of specific questions, and then said they'd ship replacements.

Considering how small these are, the technology incorporated into them, the battery life, how excellent the noise cancellation feature is, etc., this is a pretty minor problem in my opinion.
You must have been lucky and replaced yours before they started to get really bad. Or maybe the severity of the issue ends up being different for different devices.

My experience matches G.McGilli's in that it got worse over time. To the point where they were unusable. The "rattle" got both louder and more sensitive, to the point where simply breathing or tilting my head caused the noise. Essentially they ended up becoming a noise amplification instead of cancellation device in anything except Off mode.

wingsabr

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
Same issue and on the chat now with Apple Support to get them replaced. I enjoy the APP's, but this is too much money for things like this to happen on a widespread basis. I hope it gets sorted before the 1-year warranty is up.

Last edited:

MacRumorsRanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2020
Just received my third pair and I don’t even feel like using them anymore.
Yeah that's rough. I think if my third pair develop the same fault I'm going to try and push for a refund, as that would prove to anyone reasonable they're simply not fit for purpose. It's a pity, as my Gen1 Airpods were amazing, but I can't recommend the APPs to anyone with this issue seemingly hitting everyone eventually.

but this is too much money for things like this to happen on a widespread basis
Makes you wonder what the profit margin is on them: surely Apple are incurring a loss on the original sale when they're up to replacement number 2+. They seem like they'd be impossible to refurbish like they do with replaced Macs/iOS devices.

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
Yeah that's rough. I think if my third pair develop the same fault I'm going to try and push for a refund, as that would prove to anyone reasonable they're simply not fit for purpose. It's a pity, as my Gen1 Airpods were amazing, but I can't recommend the APPs to anyone with this issue seemingly hitting everyone eventually.

Makes you wonder what the profit margin is on them: surely Apple are incurring a loss on the original sale when they're up to replacement number 2+. They seem like they'd be impossible to refurbish like they do with replaced Macs/iOS devices.

I argued for a refund, no way.
when I asked for a brand new set instead of two spare buds, I got told “sure Please follow this link” and they sent me the AirPods Pro purchase link. Smart ass too. Just ridiculous man. I feel like I’ve been scammed. By Apple.

Reactions: IRF

MacRumorsRanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2020
I argued for a refund, no way.
Probably going to come down to a country-by-country thing. I know a lot of EU countries and Australia have strong consumer protections against this sort of thing and will probably force Apple's hand. Everywhere else I can sadly see infinite replacements until the warranty period runs out though...

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
Probably going to come down to a country-by-country thing. I know a lot of EU countries and Australia have strong consumer protections against this sort of thing and will probably force Apple's hand. Everywhere else I can sadly see infinite replacements until the warranty period runs out though...
I am in Australia. Still no luck...

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Wow glad I found this post. I was about to give my Gen1 AirPods to my wife and get a set of AirPod Pro's. But for the cost I don't need this kind of hassle, especially as there seems to be no fix at this present time.

Purchase cancelled for now.

lauriinc

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2018
Mine (2B588) worked perfectly for 4 months but a week ago my right AirPod Pro started making the rattling sound on NC and Transparency mode. I can also hear it a bit in the normal mode, it sounds like the speaker is blown out.

Today I left them to our local Apple Certified repair shop and they will call me when they have replacements ready. I'm now 100% sure that this won't be the last time I'll be replacing them and after the warranty ends, it's game over.

So now I own a MacBook Pro with a bad keyboard and AirPod Pro's that will keep failing.. :rolleyes:

lauriinc

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2018
Can't you use the keyboard service program for your machine?
I have already done it twice but as they are not replacing the keyboard with a non-butterfly one, it will keep failing after the program runs out.

On AirPods Pro, I'm fairly sure Apple will not even acknowledge this problem or create a similar service program that would at least give them a bit more lifespan. In here Apple does not seem to offer AppleCare for Airpods.

Basically, I paid 279€ (~300 usd) for a product that might last for one year.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
In here Apple does not seem to offer AppleCare for Airpods.

No, that is not correct. AppleCare+ for headphones is $29.00 for two years from the purchase date of the AppleCare+. It has to be purchased within 60 days of the headphone purchase.

I'm past that 60 days, but I intend to check with Apple to see if they will allow me to purchase anyway, since they are replacing my AirPod Pros now.

Does anyone know - when Apple replaces these AirPod Pros, do they replace with new, or refurbished, units? And does the warranty clock start fresh?

lauriinc

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2018
No, that is not correct. AppleCare+ for headphones is $29.00 for two years from the purchase date of the AppleCare+. It has to be purchased within 60 days of the headphone purchase.

Yes it's available in the US, not here where I live (in Europe).

dreamsound

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
I’ve had this exact experience with multiple sets now, starting on launch day, and I’ve babied them all.

Rattling and crackling like a maraca or Geiger counter is a great description.

My most recent replacement lasted only 2 months, and that’s only because I started using them less.

I don’t have detailed insight into the hardware design, but it certainly sounds as if one of the noise canceling microphones comes loose from its fixture and is rattling around inside the earpiece.

These are by far the least reliable technology products I’ve ever purchased. As a lifelong Apple enthusiast, it is enormously disappointing.

To their credit, Apple has issued replacements without too much trouble, but the overall customer experience has been a disaster.

Reactions: katbel and boqurant

MacRumorsRanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2020
I am in Australia. Still no luck...
Disappointing to hear Apple is being difficult here. I'd have expected them to behave better than your typical sleazy eBay seller when it comes to the ACL. I've had to invoke my rights under the ACL a couple of times, and my personal experience is that businesses like to pretend the ACL doesn't exist right up until the moment you demonstrate knowledge of your rights and say the words "major problem". You're entitled to a refund for a "major problem", and Apple can't force a repair or replacement on you instead.

The ACCC has a list of points, any of which are considered a major problem. Frankly I think the APPs meet any of the following three pretty easily: "it has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about it", "it is substantially unfit for its common purpose and can’t easily be fixed within a reasonable time", and "it doesn’t do what you asked for and can’t easily be fixed within a reasonable time".

If they still don't play ball, you can refer them to your state's Fair Trading body who will advocate on your behalf (for no charge), e.g. for NSW.

MacRumorsRanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2020
Purchase cancelled for now.
I was a big fan of the APPs, and was recommending them to everyone, but not anymore. For those that don't already own a pair I think holding off until this issue is confirmed as resolved (or Apple release a new model without the issue) is probably a smart approach.

Does anyone know - when Apple replaces these AirPod Pros, do they replace with new, or refurbished, units? And does the warranty clock start fresh?
Yeah, I'd definitely like to know whether the replacements we're getting are new or refurbs. I did ask the Apple support rep I was dealing with for my first replacement and he said he didn't know.

It does make you wonder whether we could all be sending in dud units with a hardware issue, and they're not getting fixed properly and getting reshipped back out to us as replacements in a never-ending cycle!

However warranty definitely does not start fresh, it goes off your original purchase date.

These are by far the least reliable technology products I’ve ever purchased. As a lifelong Apple enthusiast, it is enormously disappointing.
Summed it up perfectly for me too. I've had the occasional hardware issue with Apple products in the past, and they've always been one off issues they've quickly addressed and kept me as a loyal customer. But this experience is something else entirely, never in my life have I kept receiving replacements with the same issue over and over. Beginning to understand how those early butterfly keyboard users felt!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.