Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChiLLon

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Replaced my 1st gen Airpods pro because of this. As with everyone else, only had issues with the right side airpod and only when using ANC/Transparency mode. Purchased my pair in October 2021 and they were made Januari 2021, so in terms of the replacement program I'm f*cked because mine were manufactured too late. Complete bullsh*t I think, since the issue clearly was never fixed. This feels like planned obsolescence (puts on tin foil hat).

I have tried a myriad of tips and tricks, both official and unofficial, but nothing will fix the crackle.

Sad face.
After posting this I realized that in Sweden we have a 3 year legally mandated complaint(?) period for production faults, so I emailed Amazon which is where I bought the unit from and within 1 hour I got an email with a QR-code to scan at the local postal office to ship it back for full refund.

Reactions: japanime

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
After posting this I realized that in Sweden we have a 3 year legally mandated complaint(?) period for production faults, so I emailed Amazon which is where I bought the unit from and within 1 hour I got an email with a QR-code to scan at the local postal office to ship it back for full refund.
That's fantastic! Another win for consumers in a country that actually cares about consumers :)

Reactions: GBstoic

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
Finally the time comes also for my AirPods Pro 1 gen. Yesterday while running my right AirPods started rattling. Today I visited AS: I’m out of replacement program, the right one needs replacement and the left one may needs soon. 198€ to replace both, with series 2 that is now at 239€ on Amazon.

Someone knows if rattlegate is solved with 2nd gen? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: MrMacintoshIII

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
Finally the time comes also for my AirPods Pro 1 gen. Yesterday while running my right AirPods started rattling. Today I visited AS: I’m out of replacement program, the right one needs replacement and the left one may needs soon. 198€ to replace both, with series 2 that is now at 239€ on Amazon.

Someone knows if rattlegate is solved with 2nd gen? Thanks in advance.
So far so good. I’ve owned every iteration of AirPods Pro, every firmware, and the current USB-C version with lossless for VP is the best they have ever been. And yet, I’ll never be without AppleCare again.

€239 is a good price. They’re $189 on Amazon USA.

Reactions: stanza.richi

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
So far so good. I’ve owned every iteration of AirPods Pro, every firmware, and the current USB-C version with lossless for VP is the best they have ever been. And yet, I’ll never be without AppleCare again.

€239 is a good price. They’re $189 on Amazon USA.

I received the AirPods as a gift in October 2020 and I activated AC+ for 2 years :(

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
I received the AirPods as a gift in October 2020 and I activated AC+ for 2 years :(
Yeah, same for mine. Apple has no obligation to renew your terms before it expires, but they could, if asked.

Next time I’d call them shortly before your AppleCare is set to expire.

But really what you might want to get in the habit of doing is selling them one week before the AppleCare expires, and use the proceeds to buy new ones.

Such is this brave new world we find ourselves in.

Edit: to add to this, if you ever find yourself on the wrong end of a purchase one or two years out from the end of your AppleCare? Sell your device early, while it still has high value, and force Apple to honor the pro-rated refund agreement for AppleCare. Obviously this doesn’t Apple if you choose a monthly plan, but I strongly prefer the monthly plans.

Last edited:

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
So last week my 1st gen APP from October 2019 started t crackle really badly on the right bud (TBH that one has been more temperamental with occasionally not immediately activating but a quick pop in the case and back out fixes that), I've gone on support today and done all the 'fixes' but it's not done anything, I'm off to the genius bar at the weekend to see what they have to say but as they're 2019 buds I doubt they'll do anything - has anyone else had a swap out even after the 3 year mark?

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
So last week my 1st gen APP from October 2019 started t crackle really badly on the right bud (TBH that one has been more temperamental with occasionally not immediately activating but a quick pop in the case and back out fixes that), I've gone on support today and done all the 'fixes' but it's not done anything, I'm off to the genius bar at the weekend to see what they have to say but as they're 2019 buds I doubt they'll do anything - has anyone else had a swap out even after the 3 year mark?
Yes. My March 2020 APPs were swapped out by the Brighton UK Apple Store in September 2023. One of them crackled badly but both failed Apple’s test and were replaced at no charge.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
It seems to be quite variable whether Apple will replace them or not. The last time one of mine failed, Apple declined to fix it. The first gen are by far the worst product Apple has produced. Fortunately, gen 2 have been flawless for me.

mihasm

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2024
I have same issue.... The issue is well documented by many customers.

Warranty expired...Another excuse for standing behind a faulty design.
Manufacturer's reputation is at stake when quality flaws don't get resolved at customer 's reasonable expectations.
I hope Apple's Customer Experience Group listens...

flembot95

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2016
UK
A slight rattle has developed in my AirPods Pro Gen1, on the right pod. Should I bite the bullet on AirPods Pro 2nd Gen?

ht5pilot

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
MS
Just traded in the Gen 1 at Best Buy for $45 and get Gen 2 for $189 minus the trade in which would be $144 plus tax. Totally worth it. Gen 2 definitely has a better sound and noise cancellation than the previous version.

Last edited:

SebCohen

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2022
Actually, my Nothing (1) earbuds developed this. Sort of a metallicy, rustling, hissing crackle.

Also recently it will often only pair with one of the buds, can be either one even if it’s fully charged.

FWP

Reactions: Sikh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.