Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
…now just wait for you new pair to die on you until your out of the program. I had my AirPods Pro exchanged twice and thought it was great customer service, too. However, the AirPods Pro Gen 1 have a major hardware flaw. I think ANY pair of them will encounter this issue sooner or later…I think it’s irresponsible to keep selling them to customers without acknowledging this problem.
I am aware of it. And I did ask Apple why the Airpods get same issue after being replaced for three times. Didn't get a proper answer. But they did tell me that if I get the same problem, I can contact them again. If I am lucky (or not), I get to replace it one more time before I reach my three year period. I am a heavy user, now I gave them to my wife who hardly us it. So, guess it will run many months more than with me.

On Apple's website it says;
"Apple has determined that a small percentage of AirPods Pro may experience sound issues. Affected units were manufactured before October 2020.". That's a lie.

Reactions: dmelgar

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
It seems that I was able to get rid of the rattlegate on my AirPods Pro(bought in 2020) simply by replacing a small size ear buds with a medium size ones.

Reactions: scrane

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
It seems that I was able to get rid of the rattlegate on my AirPods Pro(bought in 2020) simply by replacing a small size ear buds with a medium size ones.
What you were experiencing probably wasn't the rattle. Once it manifests itself, the rattle doesn't go away. If changing the ear tips could fix the problem, Apple would have been sending everyone replacement ear tips rather than replacing the AirPods themselves.

Reactions: Tagbert and dmelgar

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
What you were experiencing probably wasn't the rattle. Once it manifests itself, the rattle doesn't go away. If changing the ear tips could fix the problem, Apple would have been sending everyone replacement ear tips rather than replacing the AirPods themselves.
My "rattlegate" made it impossible to use NC mode. It lasted long enough to be an issue and seeing this thread I was thinking it is the end of it but I am glad I can finally enjoy NC again.

Reactions: japanime

Bogey99

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2018
Recently started getting the rattle again. Already had two replacements last year. Noticed that I bought the APP (new) on September 17, 2020, so took it in to the store for yet another replacement, just under the wire on the 3-year program, but they said my purchase was outside the terms of the program and will not provide a replacement. Apparently since I bought them from Amazon, the first sale date in their system is earlier. Apple service and support has really deteriorated the past few years and makes me reconsider possible future purchases from this company. A $250 product should not be totally failing after less than three years.

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Recently started getting the rattle again. Already had two replacements last year. Noticed that I bought the APP (new) on September 17, 2020, so took it in to the store for yet another replacement, just under the wire on the 3-year program, but they said my purchase was outside the terms of the program and will not provide a replacement. Apparently since I bought them from Amazon, the first sale date in their system is earlier. Apple service and support has really deteriorated the past few years and makes me reconsider possible future purchases from this company. A $250 product should not be totally failing after less than three years.
You are unlucky in that you bought from Amazon. Apple has no responsibility to you because your contract is with Amazon. For comparison, only last week Apple replaced both of my AirPods which were bought from them in March 2020.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
You are unlucky in that you bought from Amazon. Apple has no responsibility to you because your contract is with Amazon. For comparison, only last week Apple replaced both of my AirPods which were bought from them in March 2020.
This isn’t true. Amazon is an authorized Apple reseller, and as such, Apple provides the warranty for their products, even when sold by Amazon or any other authorized 3rd party reseller. In this case, Apple support should recognize and follow the date as shown on the original Amazon sales receipt. This would be worth escalating to someone else within Apple.

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Sorry but it is true. In England your contract is with the company that sold you the product. In law you have to deal with the seller not the manufacturer. Apple has a generous policy that it will deal with you while your product is under warranty worldwide, normally 12 months but legally that’s at their discretion.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Sorry but it is true. In England your contract is with the company that sold you the product. In law you have to deal with the seller not the manufacturer. Apple has a generous policy that it will deal with you while your product is under warranty worldwide, normally 12 months but legally that’s at their discretion.
If the person with the issue were in the UK, surely they wouldn’t have stated the price as being $250. In the US, Apple provides both the warranty and the extended service program for AirPods, not Amazon.

Crossway

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2022
My 2019 Airpods Pro developed this issue last year. On October 8th I got both pods replaced at an apple store. Last week the left pod started to do the same exact thing. Apple is not willing to replace it since my airpods are outside the 3 years coverage of the service program. They do not care at all that the pod is not even 1 year old and in prestine conditions.

Reactions: dmelgar

irod87

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
Add me to the list. After 3 years of light use, I finally developed the crackle in both pods. The right pod was bad, left pod was light. Still dissapointing

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I've bought innumerable Apple products since the original White MacBook. This is the first time Apple has completely failed to back their product. They refused to replace my AirPods Pro because I was an early adopter and I was a few weeks after their time limit.

I refused to encourage the company by buying another AirPods Pro. Instead I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BP21J3FN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Much lower price. Noise cancellation isn't as good, but I find that I like it better than AirPods Pro 2. Worst thing is thumping when I speak, but no worse than AirPods Pro 1. Overall I've been very happy with them. Good sound, decent noise cancellation, much lower price, and they work, unlike my AirPods Pro 1. No amount of complaining to Apple made a difference. I now question any Apple purchase. They no longer stand behind their products.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
lol what? They even lie about what AirPods it effects on their site. That’s 100% irresponsible.
You quoted me out of context.

I wasn't addressing anything other than the fact that Apple did acknowledge the defect, and offered to exchange any defective AirPods for three years after they were first purchased. Those are facts.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
You quoted me out of context.

I wasn't addressing anything other than the fact that Apple did acknowledge the defect, and offered to exchange any defective AirPods for three years after they were first purchased. Those are facts.
And the fact is that they continue to replace faulty hardware with more faulty hardware. I’ve gotten like 4 replacements at this point and waiting for a shipping box to send off my 5th pair. That’s just completely unacceptable for any product, especially one that cost $250.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
And the fact is that they continue to replace faulty hardware with more faulty hardware. I’ve gotten like 4 replacements at this point and waiting for a shipping box to send off my 5th pair. That’s just completely unacceptable for any product, especially one that cost $250.
Likewise, I had mine replaced either seven or eight times. The only reason I didn't have to replace the most recent pair was because I gave them away (and told the recipient that buds would likely fail soon).

So I definitely share your frustration.

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
Just sent in my AirPod pros for the 4th time with this issue. Right AirPod each time. This replacement only lasted 3 months.

thankfully I have Apple care but not sure what to do when I get my replacement through. Do I just sell them and the second gen?

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
I've had my airpod pros for 2 years, warranty expires in Jan 2024. Never had a single issue with them, but I baby my products. I suspect some of this is lack of respect for a small delicate device.

• Haha
Reactions: Bogey99

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Are AirPod Pros version 2 any better ?
After the miserable experience I had with the original AirPods Pro, I swore I would never buy the second version. However, I eventually caved and did buy them. And they've been really, really good. They definitely don't have a built-in defect like the originals.

Reactions: whsbuss

ChiLLon

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Replaced my 1st gen Airpods pro because of this. As with everyone else, only had issues with the right side airpod and only when using ANC/Transparency mode. Purchased my pair in October 2021 and they were made Januari 2021, so in terms of the replacement program I'm f*cked because mine were manufactured too late. Complete bullsh*t I think, since the issue clearly was never fixed. This feels like planned obsolescence (puts on tin foil hat).

I have tried a myriad of tips and tricks, both official and unofficial, but nothing will fix the crackle.

Sad face.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
I've had my airpod pros for 2 years, warranty expires in Jan 2024. Never had a single issue with them, but I baby my products. I suspect some of this is lack of respect for a small delicate device.
I do take care of my devices but I do use the AirPods all the time. Got mine replaced for 4 times. 3 times the problem was only with the right ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.