Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Boatman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
With a heavy heart, I’m returning my silver AirPods Max as every time I‘ve worn them I get a severe allergic reaction - red, painful and itchy skin all over my ears that eventually starts peeling off (similar to the reactions posted in the Pro thread - https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ps-on-airpods-pro-and-powerbeats-pro.2240008/, but all over my ears where they touch the earcups). I tried to wear them a few times but the reaction persists each time. No such reaction with my Sony WX-1000s. Really disappointed as otherwise they sound fantastic.

Anyone else had the same reaction?

oric1sg

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2017
With a heavy heart, I’m returning my silver AirPods Max as every time I‘ve worn them I get a severe allergic reaction - red, painful and itchy skin all over my ears that eventually starts peeling off (similar to the reactions posted in the Pro thread - https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ps-on-airpods-pro-and-powerbeats-pro.2240008/, but all over my ears where they touch the earcups). I tried to wear them a few times but the reaction persists each time. No such reaction with my Sony WX-1000s. Really disappointed as otherwise they sound fantastic.

You should keep it if you like it and wait for 3rd party replacement leather ear cushions which should be out pretty soon, I'm sure.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
You should keep it if you like it and wait for 3rd party replacement leather ear cushions which should be out pretty soon, I'm sure.
Given that it’s unclear exactly what he’s allergic to, that seems like a really cavalier suggestion. Yes, the obvious allergen would be something in the removeable ear cups, but what if it’s something in the driver housing?

Reactions: LeeW

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
ou should keep it if you like it and wait for 3rd party replacement leather ear cushions which should be out pretty soon, I'm sure.

Hmm, not really a solution is it. IF he is within the return period just get them returned, can always come back to them but without knowing exactly what is causing the issue, keeping them and having to spend more does not seem sensible.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It is not logical to keep a product that is causing this kind of reaction, and on top of that, try and rely on a third product that may or may to solve the problem. If he doesn't return them while he can, he is out $500+ dollars.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
It is not logical to keep a product that is causing this kind of reaction, and on top of that, try and rely on a third product that may or may to solve the problem. If he doesn't return them while he can, he is out $500+ dollars.
Or he could sell them to me at a steep discount. ? Seriously, this is the most clear cut case I’ve heard yet for returning the APMs. Talk about uncomfortable! ?

The Boatman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
My symptoms are consistent with those for allergic contact dermatitis, so I’m guessing something in the earcups, possibly the acrylates or methacrylates (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211158). If third-party earcups eventually become available, I’ll look into them, but as there’s no prospect of that anytime soon, I’ll return the AirPods Max and go back to the WH-1000Xs, hardly the worst first-world problem. But I posted here in case anyone else had the same issue.

Edit: photo attached for your shock/horror/amusement. I wore the headphones last night for just under 2 hours to listen to two Max Richter albums.

Attachments

• 28477611-C059-42B0-942F-01815AB8E4B5.jpeg
    28477611-C059-42B0-942F-01815AB8E4B5.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 1,292

LongWayHome

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020

I get the exact same reaction that you do with the AirPods Pro and Powerbeats Pro. So much so that I had to stop using them all together. I did not though have that reaction with the Airpods Max. Sorry to hear you are having it.

Reactions: The Boatman

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Yep. Sounds about right! I had the AirPods Pro (earbuds) and about 6 months in, i got a severe allergic reaction. Made no damn sense to me. I got 4 ear infections from them and i still have ear damage from using them. There’s a long thread that talks about it here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250896003?answerId=254331941022&login=true

so now this just adds to the mystery of why the heck this happens. Nobody really seems to know why. i ended up going back to my 2nd gen airpods but might just give the Sony’s a try

• Sad
Reactions: kazmac

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002

Interesting. I am having the same reaction and thought it was due to the cold weather. I'm going to see if it is due to weather or the ear cushions and update as well.

Pderuyter

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2021
Yep...I have the exact same problem...severe rash that’s spreading to neck and around eyes all accompanied by swelling. I’ve taken the foam cups out and washed them thoroughly (per Apple instructions) in the hope this might help. Even leaving them in the sun to “disinfect”. I’m not too hopeful but will try anything before the deadline to return for a full refund.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Yeah I'm hoping it's the chemicals they used to manufacture the fabric of the ear cups that once it dries and dissipates, won't be an issue in the long term.

In my case, I'm assuming if it's directly from the fabric then I should experience itchiness from the get go. But because the itchiness develops overnight up to days then I'm thinking it's due to the chemicals that eventually gets absorbed into my skin.

I have 2 APMs and one was fresh off the manufacturing when I opened and used it for days - that I got allergic reaction. The other one just sat in the box unopened. I just opened it yesterday after 2 weeks I believe and then used it for the first time last night. No allergic reaction so far. Used it again this morning, no itchiness.

I'll go back to my first APM tonight and see if I develop another rash in case there are different factories commissioned to create the ear cups and one is using a stronger chemical mix.

Reactions: whiteashsaturday

Pderuyter

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2021
Yeah I'm hoping it's the chemicals they used to manufacture the fabric of the ear cups that once it dries and dissipates, won't be an issue in the long term.

In my case, I'm assuming if it's directly from the fabric then I should experience itchiness from the get go. But because the itchiness develops overnight up to days then I'm thinking it's due to the chemicals that eventually gets absorbed into my skin.

I have 2 APMs and one was fresh off the manufacturing when I opened and used it for days - that I got allergic reaction. The other one just sat in the box unopened. I just opened it yesterday after 2 weeks I believe and then used it for the first time last night. No allergic reaction so far. Used it again this morning, no itchiness.

I'll go back to my first APM tonight and see if I develop another rash in case there are different factories commissioned to create the ear cups and one is using a stronger chemical mix.
That’s interesting, thanks. I hope the 2nd APM that sat for two weeks doesn’t produce issues and that maybe “cleaning” the cups could work. Look forward to an update. I’ve got until 1/29th to return.

Reactions: LeonPro

nikotown

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2019
San Francisco
My symptoms are consistent with those for allergic contact dermatitis, so I’m guessing something in the earcups, possibly the acrylates or methacrylates (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211158). If third-party earcups eventually become available, I’ll look into them, but as there’s no prospect of that anytime soon, I’ll return the AirPods Max and go back to the WH-1000Xs, hardly the worst first-world problem. But I posted here in case anyone else had the same issue.

Edit: photo attached for your shock/horror/amusement. I wore the headphones last night for just under 2 hours to listen to two Max Richter albums.
unfortunate about your situation! love max richter. coincidentally listening to him now haha

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
Could be the gasses that most memory foam products release when new. I know my mattress smelled horrible for a few days.

Pderuyter

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2021

I'm curious if you've learned more. Any update?
I've been on an interesting adventure with "Senior Apple Support". Its included multiple follow-up phone calls from them over the last 5 days and literally hours in conversation and answering questions and sending pics and providing updates. At the end of each call the rep says that he's forwarding on the work product from the call to "Apple Engineers". I kiddingly asked if the engineers included a medical professional and got a quasi affirmative response. I explained that I already have the FedEx return label from Apple and that I would be getting a full refund but that I still hoped we could figure it out so I wouldn't have to return them. I asked if Apple could grant "more time" outside of the 14 day window while we all continued to "work" together. The Rep was going to ask. Today I got two different phone calls and now Apple is asking that I not send them back with the FedEx label they've already provided but that I send it differently so that they could "capture" the headphones and examine them...all reasonable requests I thought until the conversation continued. They wanted to only provide verbal instructions and I asked that I receive those instructions in writing. When I got those instructions I couldn't believe it...there was a series of hoops that I would need to jump through and then, after all that...after they received the headphones from me using another label they would be sending along...after that they would get back to me and put me in touch with Customer Service to process a refund. I finally lost patience and explained that I already have what I need to send it back and a refund would automatically be issued. I'm going to use the time I have left and once my rash clears to try one more time to see if I get a reaction. This time I'll wear them for a very short time! Maybe I should just gift them to my son!

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I don't have good news apart from having another allergic reaction that night from the second AirPods Max I finally opened after sitting for 2 weeks in the box. Trying to be hopeful as I'm also checking if it's my diet (liquor and lots of Navel Oranges lately) or the colder weather of late.

I'm not hopeful to be honest and think it will boil down to the ear cups. Which is a shame because I like the sound signature of it for non-critical listening.

My family has always benefitted from my purchases anyway (gave my AirPods Pros to my wife and took back my AirPods from her when I got ear infection from using it). So she and the two kids will end up using these two AirPods Max if it's truly not for me.

Thanks for taking the time to converse with Apple about this issue on behalf of the rest of us possibly experiencing the same.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I don't have good news apart from having another allergic reaction that night from the second AirPods Max I finally opened after sitting for 2 weeks in the box. Trying to be hopeful as I'm also checking if it's my diet (liquor and lots of Navel Oranges lately) or the colder weather of late.

I'm not hopeful to be honest and think it will boil down to the ear cups. Which is a shame because I like the sound signature of it for non-critical listening.

My family has always benefitted from my purchases anyway (gave my AirPods Pros to my wife and took back my AirPods from her when I got ear infection from using it). So she and the two kids will end up using these two AirPods Max if it's truly not for me.

Thanks for taking the time to converse with Apple about this issue on behalf of the rest of us possibly experiencing the same.
Had the same issue with the AirPods Pro and max. There’s this gigantic thread over on the Apple forums of people for the past year reporting in and complaining about this and nobody can figure out what’s causing it. It’s gotta be the general materials causing a reaction. There’s no way around it.

I ended up saying screw it it’s not worth getting eat infections over and over again and got the Sony xm4’s and couldn’t be happier. No issues with my ears so far I totally recommend them to people that are also having allergic reactions

Reactions: supermars

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
So for those having allergic reaction to the APM, do you almost immediately get the reaction (i.e. itching, flare-ups, etc) almost a few minutes after putting it on? Is it a few hours after? A day?

Trying to check what's common between us and the unit.

As for myself, I notice itchiness only the following day AFTER having worn them. Which is why I'm not sure if it's due to the APM ear cushions. If there is an allergic reaction, shouldn't it be within a few minutes or at the most an hour within contact of the item in question?

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??

Thank you for that link; now I'm sad because Nickel is a serious problem for me, and I really wanted these for work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.