Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pderuyter

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2021
So for those having allergic reaction to the APM, do you almost immediately get the reaction (i.e. itching, flare-ups, etc) almost a few minutes after putting it on? Is it a few hours after? A day?

Trying to check what's common between us and the unit.

As for myself, I notice itchiness only the following day AFTER having worn them. Which is why I'm not sure if it's due to the APM ear cushions. If there is an allergic reaction, shouldn't it be within a few minutes or at the most an hour within contact of the item in question?
It started the next morning...about 12 hours after last worn, or at least that’s when first noticed.

Reactions: LeonPro

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I SOLVED IT - AT LEAST FOR ME (Hope this helps solve for others)

I surrendered to just letting the family enjoy them. But because I have two of these models, I did one last try.

TLDR: I soaked then washed the ear cushions in our usual mild laundry detergent!

Step 1
: I used mild laundry detergent and oxygen brightener. Made a soap solution in a small pail.

Step 2: Soaked the ear cushions for at least 30 minutes

Step 3: Agitated the ear cushions by dunking, squeezing the soapy solution in and out of the ear cushions that were absorbing the liquid a couple of times for a few minutes.

Step 4: Washed the ear cushions until the soap solution was gone. This is essential to ensure there is no more soap left by constantly soaking then squeezing the ear cushions in clean water. Any left-over soap residue may lead to skin irritation as well.

Best to compress both ear cushions together. Release. Then repeat multiple times.

Step 5: Final rinse of the ear cushion under running water.

Step 6: Squeeze all water from the ear cushion by compressing both cushions together OR against your palms.

Step 7: Prepare thick absorbent towels (microfibre cloth) and lay by the window sill or any place that allows moisture to easily evaporate.

Step 8: Place both ear cushions with the cushion face up to allow for bigger surface tension for water to evaporate from the cushions. (If you do face down, the water collected on the moist towel/cloth will just be re-absorbed by the ear cushions and take longer to dry).

Step 9: Allow AT LEAST 24 hours for the ear cushions to completely dry. This will depend on your environment. Do not attempt to use until these are dry to ensure no excessive moisture is being absorbed by the AirPods Max itself and encourage the growth of mould.

Step 10: While waiting for the ear cushions to completely dry, throughly clean the AirPods Max AND the Smart Case with mild cleaning solution (or electronic wipes did the trick for me) to ensure any contaminant passed on from the ear cushions to the device and case are also removed.

Step 11: Re-attach dried ear cushions and enjoy!

TESTING to ensure the allergen source came from the ear cushions and not the AirPods Max materials themselves:

I tested this by placing one of the newly washed and completely dried ear cushion on my ear for an hour while I was watching TV in bed. After half a day, no reaction.

Then I assembled both ear cushions on the AirPods Max and put it on Transparency mode. No music. Watched TV for an hour. No reaction after another half day.

Final test was to listen to music on the APM for at least 2 hours before I slept for the night. Last few times when I had the allergic reaction I would wake up in the middle of the night with a severe itch and redness on both ears.

Zero reaction.

Now I did the same for the other AirPods Max.

Final note:

Ear cushions didn't change in performance or appearance. No deformation of the memory foam. I'm now completely enjoying these headphones with no reaction.

Hope this works for you people experiencing similar issues from the chemical Apple's vendor has used to manufacture the ear cushions. Bad vendor for the leftover of chemical residue that could easily be washed away.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I'm curious if you've learned more. Any update?
I've been on an interesting adventure with "Senior Apple Support". Its included multiple follow-up phone calls from them over the last 5 days and literally hours in conversation and answering questions and sending pics and providing updates. At the end of each call the rep says that he's forwarding on the work product from the call to "Apple Engineers". I kiddingly asked if the engineers included a medical professional and got a quasi affirmative response. I explained that I already have the FedEx return label from Apple and that I would be getting a full refund but that I still hoped we could figure it out so I wouldn't have to return them. I asked if Apple could grant "more time" outside of the 14 day window while we all continued to "work" together. The Rep was going to ask. Today I got two different phone calls and now Apple is asking that I not send them back with the FedEx label they've already provided but that I send it differently so that they could "capture" the headphones and examine them...all reasonable requests I thought until the conversation continued. They wanted to only provide verbal instructions and I asked that I receive those instructions in writing. When I got those instructions I couldn't believe it...there was a series of hoops that I would need to jump through and then, after all that...after they received the headphones from me using another label they would be sending along...after that they would get back to me and put me in touch with Customer Service to process a refund. I finally lost patience and explained that I already have what I need to send it back and a refund would automatically be issued. I'm going to use the time I have left and once my rash clears to try one more time to see if I get a reaction. This time I'll wear them for a very short time! Maybe I should just gift them to my son!
That's the Apple hierarchy for you. If Timmy was one who could "Think Different, Apple's support team would contact the sales department and request that sales issue a refund once you send the AirPods Max to the engineering dept.

Or request that the sales dept send/ship the headphones to engineering once received.

Pderuyter

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2021
I SOLVED IT - AT LEAST FOR ME (Hope this helps solve for others)

I surrendered to just letting the family enjoy them. But because I have two of these models, I did one last try.

TLDR: I soaked then washed the ear cushions in our usual mild laundry detergent!

Step 1
: I used mild laundry detergent and oxygen brightener. Made a soap solution in a small pail.

Step 2: Soaked the ear cushions for at least 30 minutes

Step 3: Agitated the ear cushions by dunking, squeezing the soapy solution in and out of the ear cushions that were absorbing the liquid a couple of times for a few minutes.

Step 4: Washed the ear cushions until the soap solution was gone. This is essential to ensure there is no more soap left by constantly soaking then squeezing the ear cushions in clean water. Any left-over soap residue may lead to skin irritation as well.

Best to compress both ear cushions together. Release. Then repeat multiple times.

Step 5: Final rinse of the ear cushion under running water.

Step 6: Squeeze all water from the ear cushion by compressing both cushions together OR against your palms.

Step 7: Prepare thick absorbent towels (microfibre cloth) and lay by the window sill or any place that allows moisture to easily evaporate.

Step 8: Place both ear cushions with the cushion face up to allow for bigger surface tension for water to evaporate from the cushions. (If you do face down, the water collected on the moist towel/cloth will just be re-absorbed by the ear cushions and take longer to dry).

Step 9: Allow AT LEAST 24 hours for the ear cushions to completely dry. This will depend on your environment. Do not attempt to use until these are dry to ensure no excessive moisture is being absorbed by the AirPods Max itself and encourage the growth of mould.

Step 10: While waiting for the ear cushions to completely dry, throughly clean the AirPods Max AND the Smart Case with mild cleaning solution (or electronic wipes did the trick for me) to ensure any contaminant passed on from the ear cushions to the device and case are also removed.

Step 11: Re-attach dried ear cushions and enjoy!

TESTING to ensure the allergen source came from the ear cushions and not the AirPods Max materials themselves:

I tested this by placing one of the newly washed and completely dried ear cushion on my ear for an hour while I was watching TV in bed. After half a day, no reaction.

Then I assembled both ear cushions on the AirPods Max and put it on Transparency mode. No music. Watched TV for an hour. No reaction after another half day.

Final test was to listen to music on the APM for at least 2 hours before I slept for the night. Last few times when I had the allergic reaction I would wake up in the middle of the night with a severe itch and redness on both ears.

Zero reaction.

Now I did the same for the other AirPods Max.

Final note:

Ear cushions didn't change in performance or appearance. No deformation of the memory foam. I'm now completely enjoying these headphones with no reaction.

Hope this works for you people experiencing similar issues from the chemical Apple's vendor has used to manufacture the ear cushions. Bad vendor for the leftover of chemical residue that could easily be washed away.
That's good news...thanks. I had washed my ear cushions too (not as thoroughly I think than how you've outlined...) but I never had the nerve to "experiment" after still dealing with the rash that's now spread to my wrists and neck after my ears finally cleared up. Decided to return and buy the new Sony headphones.

Reactions: Ghost31 and LeonPro

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I'm sorry to hear the extent. I hope you are better. And good to know you found a solution.

If there are more people experiencing reaction, Apple should hear about these occurrences so they can slap the wrist of their suppliers as they might be using or swapping chemicals to manufacture their products.

I was watching this documentary about a Chinese manufacturer that swapped a chemical for a medical pill and advised that it's a negligible change as the product still performed the same. Nope. That supposedly harmless swap created a dangerous interaction of the existing approved ingredient that wouldn't have occurred with the original formulation.

With manufacturers trying to crank out the volume that Apple is demanding them to meet, there may be shortcuts along the way.

I hope this isn't one of those instances.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Wow, this sucks. Freakin’ AirPod Pro’s silicone tips gave me allergic reaction after few months of use and now I see this kind of thread about the Max. :(

Reactions: Ghost31

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
To be fair about the AirPods Pros, I get ear infection with any in-ear monitors I've used throughout the years which poke my ear canal. So for me it's not the presence of the silicone but the presence of a foreign object in my ears.

Using the AirPods that sits outside the ear canal doesn't give me ear infection.

As for the AirPods Max, it's definitely the EXCESSIVE use of chemicals they used in the production of the ear cushions. Again in my case, washing the ear cushions removes these excess chemicals left-over in the textile. After 24 hours of drying, no further skin irritation is occurring.

YMMV.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
To be fair about the AirPods Pros, I get ear infection with any in-ear monitors I've used throughout the years which poke my ear canal. So for me it's not the presence of the silicone but the presence of a foreign object in my ears.

Using the AirPods that sits outside the ear canal doesn't give me ear infection.

As for the AirPods Max, it's definitely the EXCESSIVE use of chemicals they used in the production of the ear cushions. Again in my case, washing the ear cushions removes these excess chemicals left-over in the textile. After 24 hours of drying, no further skin irritation is occurring.

YMMV.
I've been using in-ear from various vendors for over a decade with zero issues until APP. Now even foam tips cause irritation, but not to the same extent.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Ah, not good to hear (pun intended). I wonder what's in those supposed inert silicone materials from Apple that isn't present in other manufacturers. Or if perhaps the Nickel material from the mesh is the cause which isn't present in other manufacturers...

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
I've been using in-ear from various vendors for over a decade with zero issues until APP. Now even foam tips cause irritation, but not to the same extent.
I've spent all my life living with pets, and hugging any and all cats and dogs that will let me; and then suddenly I was allergic to them.

Life happens. 😞

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
I've spent all my life living with pets, and hugging any and all cats and dogs that will let me; and then suddenly I was allergic to them.

Life happens. ?
In the same boat. That’s how I developed my allergy to cats. It happens. In my case it took years before it kicked in.

Facts Matter

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2017
It’s the silicone in all the pods, lots of people have this allergy, and dumb of Apple to not go with leather covered or offer the option, especially for the price. Can’t use my Pros due to the same reaction described in original post, and canceling my Max order as read they are also silicone.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
It’s the silicone in all the pods, lots of people have this allergy, and dumb of Apple to not go with leather covered or offer the option, especially for the price. Can’t use my Pros due to the same reaction described in original post, and canceling my Max order as read they are also silicone.

Except that the AirPods Max has ZERO silicone in them and is confirmed by Apple's own material composition. The soft headband is made from soft polyurethane. Silicone is polysiloxane.

I do agree they should offer ear cushions options like leather. When third-party manufacturers offer it even, I'm jumping on it.

Facts Matter

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2017
Except that the AirPods Max has ZERO silicone in them and is confirmed by Apple's own material composition. The soft headband is made from soft polyurethane. Silicone is polysiloxane.

I do agree they should offer ear cushions options like leather. When third-party manufacturers offer it even, I'm jumping on it.
Same issue with allergies, many rubbers and glues produce exactly this allergic response. AirPods from silicone and now reports of same with the rubber in the Max (maybe the “poly” type rubbers). Need leather covers that can still start to produce the reaction if a warm environment for a prolonged period of time. If unsure, get pin prick allergy test on your back and will likely find various rubbers provide a reaction.

Reactions: LeonPro

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
You don't have to turn them on... Allergies don't care what song you play ;)
That's true in some sense. But as smarty pants as you may seem, the allergen is moved by air pressure towards your ears causing a reaction.

I already tested this concept just wearing the headphones with no music. No reaction. Just the ear cushions alone sitting on my ear as I lay in bed surfing. No reaction. The moment I played music then I get a reaction.

So no the allergy doesn't care what kind of music you play, but the playing of music creates the sound pressure and air to be moved towards your ears. This pushes the allergen faster to your skin and ear canal.

At which point, where is the allergen - in the ear cushions or something inside the ear cups and how do you test it without moving the air to your skin aka via playing music.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
So you can wear the headphones (with the ear cushions) without playing any music, and you have no allergy?
I wore it three ways in total with no music for at least an hour each after having severe reaction:

1. Ear cushions alone. Left it on my ear (after washing it with detergent and drying for over 24 hours). No adverse reaction.
2. Ear cushions with headphones attached. No adverse reaction.
3. Headphone alone. No adverse reaction.

After 2 days, I then was confident washing the ear cushions removed the allergen. Played music for less than an hour before bed time. Next day, reaction started.

I bought silicon ear cushion protectors thinking it would block any allergen. Same reaction started the next day.

At this point both of my kids have "unofficially" been given the two AirPods Max I bought for myself and my wife. She doesn't care for it and loves the AirPods Pro I gave her that I get a reaction from. While my son has been enjoying one of the APM on a daily basis with his iPad and he has no reaction. He doesn't know it's his already because that way he is careful with it thinking he's only borrowing it.

I'm waiting for a third-party ear cushion to be made (maybe by Dekoni) to try and enjoy the second one I'm still keeping for me in hopes the allergen is there and not inside the ear cups.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Based on how I react to it, 3 days of itchiness. It peaks on the 2nd day then starts to subside. The itchiness isn't there by then, but the eczema from the skin irritation is present. I accelerate the healing of the skin by applying my doctor prescribed medication which is an ointment. That's why I dared myself to test in various ways as I know I can recover faster with the medication once I get a reaction.

tarkabb

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2015
With a heavy heart, I’m returning my silver AirPods Max as every time I‘ve worn them I get a severe allergic reaction - red, painful and itchy skin all over my ears that eventually starts peeling off (similar to the reactions posted in the Pro thread - https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ps-on-airpods-pro-and-powerbeats-pro.2240008/, but all over my ears where they touch the earcups). I tried to wear them a few times but the reaction persists each time. No such reaction with my Sony WX-1000s. Really disappointed as otherwise they sound fantastic.

Anyone else had the same reaction?
Had my AirPods Max for 3 months now and have had a rash for all those 3 months…. :(
Have had problems with my ears before so didn’t think this new exterior rash was anything to do with my new headphones until I found this thread. No photos because it’s actually quite gross. Mines BAD atm!
I’m now certain it’s the headphones and won’t be wearing them again!
but I’m well past my return date… any ideas?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.