Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Reactions: arw

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Interesting. Also saw this one which looks similar. I guess more cable manufacturers are getting into these.

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Good find for those who only need 4K. Hopefully a reasonably priced ≥ 5K follows (for use with the Apple Studio Display).
The Belkin one supports up to 8K at 60 Hz.

Post from another member:

Hey Folks, I've been using the Belkin VR cable for awhile now. No problems really but it is a long cable, and I've had to be really careful with signal integrity through the KVM switch and to the other computers. I stumbled on a new cable on Amazon and decided to test it out. Good news: works great, it's cheap, and ships fast. I'm running stable at 6k with full brightness/etc controls via USB.

The cable made by "WJESOG" is on Amazon here for US$30. Make sure you get the "DP to USB-C" version.

If folks are hunting for a decent KVM switch, I've moved from my older StarTech DP1.2 2-port to the Monoprice Blackbird (also on Amazon for US$140 as of this writing) DP1.4 4-port. The video signal has been solid so far, but the USB HID emulation leaves a lot to be desired ... ended up with the keyboard and mouse on the non-HID ports to make everything work properly. Nothing is perfect in the KVM switch market, but it's good enough for now.

This is on a 2019 Mac Pro, AMD Radeon Pro W5700X GPU.

AGDCDiagnose output:
Code:
Stream@0 FB0    DICT    13
Stream ID    0
Is Enabled    YES
Is DPMS Off    NO
Change Flags    0
Option Flags    0
Sink Address    4.0
HW Src Viewport    6016x3384 @ {0,0}
HW Dst Viewport    6016x3384 @ {0,0}

Timing FB0    DICT    24
Display Mode    8000500f
Refresh Rate (Calculated)    60 Hz
Refresh Rate (Stored)    0.0 Hz
Window (Active)    6016 x 3384
Window (Scaled)    0 x 0
Scaled Inset    0 x 0
Pixel Clock    1286010000 Hz
Scaler Flags    0
Signal Config    0
Blanking    80 x 132
Border {left,right}    {0, 0}
Border {top,bottom}    {0, 0}
Sync Offset (h, v)    8 x 118
Sync Pulse Width (h, v)    32, 8
Sync Config (h, v)    + x -
Num Links    2
VB Extension    0
OUTPUT: Pixel Encoding    1 (RGB444)
OUTPUT: Bits Per Color Component    8 (12 bpc)
OUTPUT: Colorimetry    1 (RGB)
OUTPUT: Dynamic Range    2 (HDR10)
DSC: Num Slices    4 x 1
DSC: Slice Dimensions    1504 x 3384
DSC: Compressed BPP    12 bits, (192 bits*16) )

Current setup:
Code:
 ┌───────────────────────────┐
 │                           │
 │       Pro Display XDR     │
 └─────────────┬─────────────┘
               │
               │ <-- WJESOC Cable
               │
 ┌─────────────┴─────────────┐
 │ Monoprice Blackbird       │
 │ 4-port DP 1.4 KVM         │
 └───┬────────────────┬──────┘
     │                │
     │                │
 ┌───┴────┐     ┌─────┴──────┐
 │        │     │ StarTech   │
 │ Mac    │     │ TB3 Dock   │
 │ Pro    │     └─────┬──────┘
 │ 2019   │           │
 │        │     ┌─────┴──────┐
 │ W5700X │     │            │
 │        │     │ MacBook Pro│
 │        │     │ 2022 M1    │
 └────────┘     │            │
                ├────────────┤
                │            │
                └────────────┘

Lou

Reactions: arw

Yzord

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
The AGDCDiagnose output is not the real resolution. Your real resolution can be found in About this Mac and then the Display tab.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The AGDCDiagnose output is not the real resolution. Your real resolution can be found in About this Mac and then the Display tab.
You got that backwards. The Display tab shows the frame buffer resolution. The output resolution is not shown by macOS except in AGDCDiagnose output or SwitchResX timing info or AllRez timing info.

In this screenshot, it says 5K but my display is only 4K and the display shows 4K in its onscreen menu.
Display Tab.png

Reactions: DrEGPU and arw

XG17

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2023
Is this WJESOG cable still available anywhere?
The link posted here only leads to a HDMI to USB C cable on Amazon with no option to change the "style" to DisplayPort.
The fairikabe cable also mentioned here is at least still listed, but "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."
Are there any other alternatives?

I actually need it to connect a 4090 to an Asus XG17 display, which up to now would also have relied on using this expensive Belkin VR cable. One of the reviewers of the WJESOG cable on Amazon says that the cable works perfectly also for this use case - but the cable seems to be gone :(

bobool

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2023
Is this WJESOG cable still available anywhere?
The link posted here only leads to a HDMI to USB C cable on Amazon with no option to change the "style" to DisplayPort.
The fairikabe cable also mentioned here is at least still listed, but "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."
Are there any other alternatives?

I actually need it to connect a 4090 to an Asus XG17 display, which up to now would also have relied on using this expensive Belkin VR cable. One of the reviewers of the WJESOG cable on Amazon says that the cable works perfectly also for this use case - but the cable seems to be gone :(

Somehow, the internet bought me here.
I'm in a similar situation; I have a DAN A4 SFX build, and I'm trying to find a cable connecting between 3070 to XG16.
Amazon.com has this cable in stock at 2 am EDT on April 27, 2023

And after I searched the internet and even found an upgrade version of the WJESOG cable, the only issue is that it was not listed on Amazon.com yet. They are available on Taobao at the moment.

The WJESOG cable (that supports the Portable Touch Screen, e.g. ThinkVision M14t)
1682575601845.png
1682575469016.png

The cable supports a Portable Touch Screen and Power Delivery.
With two different ends.
1682575490210.png
1682575522142.png

Hopefully, one day these cables will be listed on Amazon.
Good luck, and enjoy your 4090 build.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
There is now a BETTER alternative for the Belkin VR cable:

Better because:

⅓ the price
The Belkin is absurdly long. This cable should transmit the single better since it's a reasonable length.
The Belkin uses two USB ports, this cable only one.

Lou
Does this definetly work as some of the reviews on amazon say it never worked PC to XDR display?

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
Somehow, the internet bought me here.
I'm in a similar situation; I have a DAN A4 SFX build, and I'm trying to find a cable connecting between 3070 to XG16.
Amazon.com has this cable in stock at 2 am EDT on April 27, 2023

And after I searched the internet and even found an upgrade version of the WJESOG cable, the only issue is that it was not listed on Amazon.com yet. They are available on Taobao at the moment.

The WJESOG cable (that supports the Portable Touch Screen, e.g. ThinkVision M14t)
View attachment 2194254 View attachment 2194251

The cable supports a Portable Touch Screen and Power Delivery.
With two different ends.
View attachment 2194252 View attachment 2194253

Hopefully, one day these cables will be listed on Amazon.
Good luck, and enjoy your 4090 build.
Can you not just use hdmi to hdmi with some kind of hdmi to usb c adapter for the xdr display

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Does this definetly work as some of the reviews on amazon say it never worked PC to XDR display?

I'm using it on my NcMP 7,1. Gigabyte RX6800XP to LG LG 24MD4KL-B Ultrafine with absolutely no issues.

Note - I've used the Belkin VR and a Monoprice Bi-directional cable, this is, IMHO, the best solution. Other members on this forum have say it worked with the XDR, see above.

Lou

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I'm using it on my NcMP 7,1. Gigabyte RX6800XP to LG LG 24MD4KL-B Ultrafine with absolutely no issues.

Note - I've used the Belkin VR and a Monoprice Bi-directional cable, this is, IMHO, the best solution. Other members on this forum have say it worked with the XDR, see above.

Lou
It's working at 6K?

Reactions: argasek

alexdilley

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2020
It's working at 6K?
Keen to know this too. No one's actually said this explicitly, and it would be contradictory to the product's advertised max resolution of 4K@60Hz. But if someone (above) has switched from Belkin/Huawei cable (6K@60Hz) to this then it suggests it must (else why would you switch).

Would be amazing if someone can confirm whether the WJESOG cable supports 6K@60Hz!

Further post here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/pro-display-xdr-owners-thread.2242790/post-32255845

alexdilley

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2020
If it can support 4K60 then it can support 6K60 since 6K60 requires less bandwidth than 4K60 (because 6K60 uses DSC).
Great, thanks! Will see if it works out with my setup, then!

Out of interest, has anyone 6K-gamed on this screen? 218ppi must make for some Retina-level sharp-af imaging! 60Hz, yes, but for single-player that's "okay". ofc you need a GPU to push the pixels but that's now a reality today.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Keen to know this too. No one's actually said this explicitly, and it would be contradictory to the product's advertised max resolution of 4K@60Hz. But if someone (above) has switched from Belkin/Huawei cable (6K@60Hz) to this then it suggests it must (else why would you switch).

Would be amazing if someone can confirm whether the WJESOG cable supports 6K@60Hz!

Further post here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/pro-display-xdr-owners-thread.2242790/post-32255845

If it can support 4K60 then it can support 6K60 since 6K60 requires less bandwidth than 4K60 (because 6K60 uses DSC).

Good news, I bought this cable and can confirm 6K60 support on Pro Display XDR. GPU is Radeon 5700XT Anniversary Edition, installed in Mac Pro 5,1 running OCLP.

I still prefer the Belkin VR cable for the increased length, gives me some placement flexibility. But having this much cheaper, much more available cable from WJESOG is welcome! I don't have any permanent need for it, but the curiosity was really nagging at me, so for $30 I figured I could help out folks here... I get lots of great insights from all of you!

Image 6-19-23 at 10.11 AM.jpeg

Reactions: joevt

alexdilley

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2020
I got the WJESOG cable. It does indeed work PC (GPU DP + USB) to XDR 🎉 However, 50% of the time when switching on or restarting the computer I get a graphical glitch — flashing, highly pixelated sections of the screen, sometimes as much as the whole screen. Haven't found a correlation to determine cause. Has anyone else experienced this? My setup is NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090, Windows 11 (PC).

alsndr

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2023
I have a Studio Display plugged to my PC with the Belkin cable. Works great. But can you guys enter in the BIOS at startup? Cause I can't, everytime I get black screen until windows boots itself

Reactions: marcisl

alexdilley

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2020
My Pro Display XDR displays an image from boot and so I can enter the BIOS, yes. This is with the WJESOG cable mentioned in this thread, similar to the Belkin cable. I believe other Pro Display XDR users have been successful in accessing the BIOS with the Belkin cable (check the XDR owner's thread). This may be a Studio Display thing as this poster reported something similar with their setup.

Reactions: alsndr

marcisl

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2017
Riga
I have a Studio Display plugged to my PC with the Belkin cable. Works great. But can you guys enter in the BIOS at startup? Cause I can't, everytime I get black screen until windows boots itself
I had a similar problem on Windows 10, only with an additional issue that windows was not booting up at all with the Studio Display connected (it was working fine when plugged in AFTER windows had booted up)

I upgraded to windows 11 which involved disabling CSM and enabling secureboot in Bios. This solved my issue, now I'm able to enter bios at startup on the Studio Display.

It works both with CableMatters 1.4 display port to thunderbolt cable, and also with Belking Charge & Sync cable which I got today.

Daniel M8

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2023
Hello, I have LG Ultrafine 5K 27MD5KL and have connected it with the Belkin VR cable to RTX 3090 custom-built PC. I was wondering whether there is a chance of getting it to run 5k instead of the current 4k (no option to install TB PCIe card). I also experience the USB port on the monitor having a regular about 1-second disconnect. Does anyone have a similar setup?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Hello, I have LG Ultrafine 5K 27MD5KL and have connected it with the Belkin VR cable to RTX 3090 custom-built PC. I was wondering whether there is a chance of getting it to run 5k instead of the current 4k (no option to install TB PCIe card). I also experience the USB port on the monitor having a regular about 1-second disconnect. Does anyone have a similar setup?
Try a 5K 39Hz custom timing. Also, don't ask the same question in more than one thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.