Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Yea, LinkedIn screwed Pulse, it was the best RSS reader. This new redesign is ridiculous, prefer the familiar boxes UI of stories of the old Pulse. Gonna try out some of the apps recommended here.

I must be missing something. I'm not seeing any redesign, looks the same as it always has.

Dukat

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Anyone notice how much smoother scrolling/physics are in the Apple News app vs. all other apps.
Is apple enabling the 'good' physics for their apps only?

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Here's an image that shows the older UI of Pulse next to the updated LinkedIn Pulse app. I installed the update when it came out, and immediately re-installed the old app. You can use the old app until the end of 2015.

https://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57595/~/original-pulse-app---no-longer-supported

At LinkedIn, we want to provide a simple and useful experience for our members. From time to time, we take a closer look at how our products are being used by our members, to ensure that they’re delivering a valuable experience for you.

As a result, the original Pulse app will be retired. Join us on our next journey as we upgrade Pulse to become your daily news, powered by your professional world. The vision for the new Pulse app is to help you stay informed -- about your profession, your company, your industry, and beyond. The new LinkedIn Pulse app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.

You can continue to use the original Pulse app, until the end of 2015 when it will be deprecated, however we won't be pushing any new updates or bug fixes.

Attachments

• introducing-new-features-for-linkedin-mobile-2-638.jpg
    introducing-new-features-for-linkedin-mobile-2-638.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 399

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Oh, I see--LinkedIn released the new Pulse as a separate app, and removed the old one from the store.

I don't get why LinkedIn bought it if they were just going to turn it into this. I wish the original developers would leave and remake their app.

The worst thing is I hate all the replacements. There are none. Hopefully something like it will appear by the end of the year.

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I'm a pretty heavy Newsify user with it synced through Feedly and have never felt the need for the premium features. To me the big thing it does is pull down full feeds from RSS articles that only dimply a truncated article, and you can easily pull that down from within the individual articles. I think you would be happy with just the standard version.

I also use Newsify and Feedly but overall i use Feedly the most because the articles load instantly. I don't have a paid subscription with Newsify. I do like it that it shows images although it happens that it shows the same image with a wrong article and it takes a while to refresh and show the images (i have background refresh turned off) in comparison to Feedyl.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Bring an old thread back to life for the same reason.

Wow, it's almost unbelievable how bad the new Pulse app is. Someone took a huge dump on everything that made Pulse great.

I have been searching all morning for an alternative but there's nothing that's similar in design. :(

Has anyone found a similar app replacement yet?

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I have been searching all morning for an alternative but there's nothing that's similar in design. :(
Has anyone found a similar app replacement yet?

I really like Feedly and use it daily. Also Newsify is pretty nice if you would like to have some kind of newspaper look.
They both look a bit different then Pulse but are great to use.

I was also a Pulse user. I've left Pulse a long time ago when LinkedIn took over.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I was literally using my trusty old copy of pre-linkedin pulse tonight when it finally died. The thumbnails are still updating, but tapping one opens LinkedIn garbage propaganda. I'm crushed.

I don't understand the point of buying an app, mutilating it, then killing it.

I don't want to see my feeds grouped by topic. I don't want to read a newspaper. I just want a grid of stories that scrolls horizontally through a source, and vertically between sources.

I can't believe with all the Pulse fans, and the abandonment of it, that someone hasn't cloned it. I would pay $100 for a clone.

Reactions: barbu

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I was literally using my trusty old copy of pre-linkedin pulse tonight when it finally died. The thumbnails are still updating, but tapping one opens LinkedIn garbage propaganda. I'm crushed.

I don't understand the point of buying an app, mutilating it, then killing it.

I don't want to see my feeds grouped by topic. I don't want to read a newspaper. I just want a grid of stories that scrolls horizontally through a source, and vertically between sources.

I can't believe with all the Pulse fans, and the abandonment of it, that someone hasn't cloned it. I would pay $100 for a clone.

This. This just happened to me this evening too. I feel exactly the same way and want exactly the same thing. I'd pay $100 too.

I'm finally started setting my new feeds up in Feedly, and it's awful compared to the pre-Linkedin version of Pulse.

Reactions: iTomHD

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
All of these "alternatives" have terrible interfaces. I don't understand it.

As long as the articles keep updating I'm going to keep using the old version. Tapping on an article headline will still open a web view of the article, and I would do this most of the time anyway.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Tapping on an article headline will still open a web view of the article, and I would do this most of the time anyway.

Not sure how you're seeing that. On my iPhone and iPads, I get variously, a blank white page, or a malformed ad for LinkedIn Pulse.

I wonder how many people would pitch in on a kickstarter campaign to resurrect the old Pulse.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
This. This just happened to me this evening too. I feel exactly the same way and want exactly the same thing. I'd pay $100 too.

I'm finally started setting my new feeds up in Feedly, and it's awful compared to the pre-Linkedin version of Pulse.
Me three :-( There goes my most used app by far. It's enough to make me try to learn iOS programming!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Not sure how you're seeing that. On my iPhone and iPads, I get variously, a blank white page, or a malformed ad for LinkedIn Pulse.

After you've tapped on an article, tap on the headline at the top, right above the white page.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
According to the LinkedIn site, pulse was deprecated as of the end of 2015. So I don't imagine they are going to correct the current error. ****.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Whoa! Pulse on my iPhone and iPad just came back to life!
Me too. I still wish someone would write an improved version, though. Something that takes advantage of the new APIs, maybe improve power consumption (Pulse is by far the highest battery-usage app on my phone)... Anyway, glad it's working again for now.

tiddle

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2016
Me too. I still wish someone would write an improved version, though. Something that takes advantage of the new APIs, maybe improve power consumption (Pulse is by far the highest battery-usage app on my phone)... Anyway, glad it's working again for now.

Mine is dead :(. RIP faithful companion. Closest I found is Yomu, but doesn't seem to support in-article swiping.

Last edited:

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Mine is dead :(. RIP faithful companion. Closest I found is Yomu, but doesn't seem to support in-article swiping.

I also can't organize my feeds into categories with Yomu. The horizontal feeder is definitely a plus, though.

I'm actually very upset that Pulse is pretty much gone. It's been my most used app for years! :(

sford56

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
Mexico City
Yomu could work, except that it doesn't have Landscape (critical for iPad), and it doesn't seem to have a way to directly input an RSS feed (it can't find some of my main feeds in its database). I'll keep it installed, and see if there are any updates that come along. I tried using Newsify again yesterday, and it's so disappointing. It's not a bad app, it's just so much worse than the old Pulse. I'm going to continue to use Pulse until it absolutely stops working all together. Maybe by then, someone will come out with a clone.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
All of these "alternatives" have terrible interfaces. I don't understand it.

As long as the articles keep updating I'm going to keep using the old version. Tapping on an article headline will still open a web view of the article, and I would do this most of the time anyway.
The articles no longer update for me now

Any alternative app that lets you add a link from any site like pulse ?

kelkin

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2016
My feeds stopped updating... All the articles were blank, all I could see were feed names. I deleted the app and re-installed it, and guess what? Once you sign out, you can not sign back in to use the app. It's officially dead. I tried searching for an old IPA from before you even had to sign in to use it.. I have a few old backups from years ago.. but for some reason they won't install on iOS9.. Oh well..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.