Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Yomu is so close to working for me, but some feeds like Polygon and Daring Fireball refuse to load.

Reactions: trunten

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Yomu is so close to working for me, but some feeds like Polygon and Daring Fireball refuse to load.
This app would be perfect but a lot of feeds don't work or they have no pictures

9to5mac has no pictures and the verge is blank

The app hasn't been updated since 2014

sford56

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
Mexico City
Yup, right after I posted, Pulse pretty much died. Yomu is the closest, but is unusable until they fix the feed search, or allow direct entry. I've been trying Ziner now, and it's not like pulse, but it's decent, and I can at least group my feeds so I can read them in a somewhat organized manner.

Really, it boggles my mind that Linked in can be so short sighted, and completely ignore its customers like this. Almost all of the reviews of the new app say it sucks, and that they need to bring the old one back. I actually only have the new app on my phone so I can rate it at 1 star.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Yup, right after I posted, Pulse pretty much died. Yomu is the closest, but is unusable until they fix the feed search, or allow direct entry. I've been trying Ziner now, and it's not like pulse, but it's decent, and I can at least group my feeds so I can read them in a somewhat organized manner.

Really, it boggles my mind that Linked in can be so short sighted, and completely ignore its customers like this. Almost all of the reviews of the new app say it sucks, and that they need to bring the old one back. I actually only have the new app on my phone so I can rate it at 1 star.

LinkedIn didn't buy an app; they bought a user base. Even if only a small percentage of former Pulse users morphed into LinkedIn users, buying the app was probably faster and cheaper than any other method of getting those people to join up.

What does boggle the mind is that no one has cloned the awesome functionality of Pulse into another app.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
So LinkedIn have pulled the plug on the old version of the wonderful Pulse news reading app.

Any advice on a replacement? The main thing I liked about it was it was one page, the news wasn't all mixed together and I could just scroll down and see all the posts from my selected websites in one move. Feedly, Reeder, Flipboard etc don't have this. They all have that mixed together nonsense that app debs (for some bizarre reason) are so fond of these days. Sure, you can select each site one at a time or swipe through them, but it's a hell of a lot more effort than 1 swipe to scroll. Any recommendations?

Last edited:

trunten

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
So LinkedIn have pulled the plug on the old version of the wonderful Pulse news reading app.

Any advice on a replacement? The main thing I liked about it was it was one page, the news wasn't all mixed together and I could just scroll down and see all the posts from my selected websites in one move. Feedly, Reeder, Flipboard etc don't have this. They all have that mixed together nonsense that app debs (for some bizarre reason) are so fond of these days. Sure, you can select each site one at a time or swipe through them, but it's a hell of a lot more effort than 1 swipe to scroll. Any recommendations?
Seconded!

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I wonder if someone could just hack the original Pulse IPA to bypass LinkedIn's servers. The feeds are ostensibly hosted by the sites they come from, not LinkedIn, so there should be no reason they need LinkedIn's servers to display properly.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
Seconded!
Flipboard and Pulse were my two new feeders. I loved them both but for very different reasons - Flipboard because of the graphic display and way to casually "flip through" various material. Pulse because I could organize pages by sources and quickly look at much of the content from those sources.

It would be great to have a pulse replacement. I agree that most of the others have same features as Flipboard.

P.S. I'm trying feedly now. It's a nice "in between" Pulse and Flipboard. I I can organize my feeds by folder and it has a number of different layouts from lists to magazine. But I have to click on each feed to see what's up, unless I want a mishmash of the sites.

Last edited:

NonSoft

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2015
I used pulse for years but made the jump not long after LinkedIn started improving it.

I tried a few different alternatives before settling on Feedly. It lacks the neat organization of sources that seems to be unique to Pulse but in every other area I prefer Feedly.
Still, it's too bad that things went the way they did for pulse. It would have been interesting to see how it evolved if given the chance.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
This app is just like pulse

https://feedmesh.com
But is only on android right now
[doublepost=1453020785][/doublepost]Hey some one on Reddit mentioned an iOS app called "tin nong"
It has the pulse layout

Can one of you try it
The description is all Chinese

iTomHD

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
This. This just happened to me this evening too. I feel exactly the same way and want exactly the same thing. I'd pay $100 too.

I'm finally started setting my new feeds up in Feedly, and it's awful compared to the pre-Linkedin version of Pulse.
I couldn't agree more..

simmepi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2016
I also loved the grid view in Pulse and discovered only last week why some of the feeds had stopped updating (that is, that Pulse is no longer supported). Couldn't find anything similar so I have now spent the last days writing one myself. A few things left to do, but I already use it myself now and it works fine IMHO. Remaining, before I release it:
- Synch read status of items across devices (I already synch feed list using iCloud)
- Make icon (I suck at that)
- Decide how to charge; plan is to make it possible to try before buying, but not sure if I'll do it with in-app purchase of full functionality or by having a "Lite" version of the app.
And, of course, then waiting for Apple's review. If everything works out smoothly, I would think in a week or two it should be out in the AppStore. Name: FeedReads (sucky name, yes, but I suck at both names & icons!).

Main view (white background = not read):
IMG_0201.jpg
Not as polished in all respects as Pulse, but with time, I hope to get there :)

Last edited:
Reactions: sford56 and trunten

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I also loved the grid view in Pulse and discovered only last week why some of the feeds had stopped updating (that is, that Pulse is no longer supported). Couldn't find anything similar so I have now spent the last days writing one myself. A few things left to do, but I already use it myself now and it works fine IMHO. Remaining, before I release it:
- Synch read status of items across devices (I already synch feed list using iCloud)
- Make icon (I such at that)
- Decide how to charge; plan is to make it possible to try before buying, but not sure if I'll do it with in-app purchase of full functionality or by having a "Lite" version of the app.
And, of course, then waiting for Apple's review. If everything works out smoothly, I would think in a week or two it should be out in the AppStore. Name: FeedReads (sucky name, yes, but I suck at both names & icons!).

View attachment 611406

This looks great! Would you be able to add categories/tabs too?

This is the exact replacement I've been looking for. Keep up the good work!!

simmepi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2016
This looks great! Would you be able to add categories/tabs too?

This is the exact replacement I've been looking for. Keep up the good work!!
Categories & tabs I've thought about. Won't be in the first version, but I know it is something I'm thinking of adding.

reet.rai

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2015
I like Zite and i using last few month. it's Not exactly the same as Pulse but Flipboard is also Good...... choose any1

simmepi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2016

tiddle

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2016
- Make icon (I suck at that)

View attachment 611406

Help us, Simmepi, you are our only hope! ;)

simmepi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2016
Will do my best :)

Still missing an icon, and adding new feeds is cumbersome (right now you simply input, manually, the feed URL) and I hope I can make it at least a little simpler. But then I'll be ready for a first version, I think :)

Reactions: Redneck1089

simmepi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2016
Will do my best :)

Still missing an icon, and adding new feeds is cumbersome (right now you simply input, manually, the feed URL) and I hope I can make it at least a little simpler. But then I'll be ready for a first version, I think :)
Yep, I've been following Feedmesh since a little while; looks promising! Looking at their pages i see that they e g try hard to find an image to go with each item; I won't do that, at least initially when I'll focus on making sure my app works.
Also noticed that they use their own servers for getting data which I won't since I personally prefer standalone apps where no reliance on other servers are required. There are advantages with both approaches: server-based means you can do things like suggesting feeds and handle buggy RSS feeds smarter, but on the other hand if the company stops support, like LinkedIn with Pulse, the app becomes useless. Plus, of course, I'm doing this on my spare time so I won't have the money to run servers ;-)
But more choice is good, so I hope Feedmesh will turn out great!

sford56

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
Mexico City
Feedmesh and Simmepi's app look promising. Hopefully I'll only have to suffer through Newsify for a few more weeks. (which so far, for me, is the best of the rest). I just signed up for Feedmesh, and added all my feeds to their browser based page. It looks like it will work great. the only problem is that their IOS app still seems like it's a long way out.

simmepi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2016
A small update: I plan to submit the app to the AppStore sometime this week, once I've written the documentation of how to use the app for the initial start screen; after that it is up to Apple how long it will take. Also, since I've used a few technologies I've never used before (iCloud synching for your feed list & in-app purchase) I might have made some mistakes so the store reviewers might have some issues they'd like me to fix. But hopefully not; in my tests things look fine!

The plan is to make the free app fully functional except for restricting the number of feeds to something like 3-4, to make it possible to test before buying (so buying = unlimited feeds), or in case those feeds are enough, you won't have to pay. I don't plan to have an ad-supported unlimited version, simply because I really dislike ads myself and prefer to buy an app outright instead :)

I'm feeling pretty happy with it now, in my personal usage at least. The adding of feeds is still not perfect but without server support and requiring users to register accounts for scraping feeds, the current mostly manual input is what I have. Also, due to some RSS feeds having weird stuff in their feeds, I've added 2 alternatives for showing the news items; hopefully at least one of them will work for your feeds.

First version, as mentioned, won't have feed list groups so only one list with feeds will be supported initially, but this is something I know I will add in a later version.

trunten

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
A small update: I plan to submit the app to the AppStore sometime this week, once I've written the documentation of how to use the app for the initial start screen;
am waiting patiently.....

Last edited:

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
A small update: I plan to submit the app to the AppStore sometime this week, once I've written the documentation of how to use the app for the initial start screen; after that it is up to Apple how long it will take. Also, since I've used a few technologies I've never used before (iCloud synching for your feed list & in-app purchase) I might have made some mistakes so the store reviewers might have some issues they'd like me to fix. But hopefully not; in my tests things look fine!

The plan is to make the free app fully functional except for restricting the number of feeds to something like 3-4, to make it possible to test before buying (so buying = unlimited feeds), or in case those feeds are enough, you won't have to pay. I don't plan to have an ad-supported unlimited version, simply because I really dislike ads myself and prefer to buy an app outright instead :)

I'm feeling pretty happy with it now, in my personal usage at least. The adding of feeds is still not perfect but without server support and requiring users to register accounts for scraping feeds, the current mostly manual input is what I have. Also, due to some RSS feeds having weird stuff in their feeds, I've added 2 alternatives for showing the news items; hopefully at least one of them will work for your feeds.

First version, as mentioned, won't have feed list groups so only one list with feeds will be supported initially, but this is something I know I will add in a later version.

Fantastic work! Im so excited to use this app and would gladly pay for it.

The app looks barebones as would be expected for a 1.0 version software, but I think you're heading in the right direction. You seem to have the basic layout nailed down and it looks fantastic.

People are going to make a lot of feature requests, but try to not get too far ahead of yourself. Focus on just getting the core functionality right, and then the aesthetics. Once you have something that works great and looks good, then move on to new features.

As for the icon you need for your app, I'm sure myself and others here would be willing to lend a hand, or at least point you in the right direction. Did you have any ideas in mind for what you'd want the icon to be? It might be cool for the app to overall share a color scheme with the original Pulse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.