Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Is there any way for the Safari view to go right into "Reading View"? I find myself using it a lot when using Heartfeed.

simmepi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2016
Is there any way for the Safari view to go right into "Reading View"? I find myself using it a lot when using Heartfeed.
You can do very little with the Safari view used form an app; essentially the only thing you can do is open it with a given URL/address. But, nicely enough, there is an option in the code that when asking to open an URL, you can also tell Safari to open using the reading view, if it is available. So yes, this is possible, and I'll seriously consider adding a setting for using this functionality in a future version :)

Reactions: barbu

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
@simmepi , downloaded the app this weekend and really appreciate it. Went ahead and paid for the unlimited feeds.

I sent you an email via your website with a couple of suggestions.

Thanks

ortiz3m

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Houston TX
I gotta say this is the app I've been hunting years for. I was a huge fan of the original Pulse (still have it in fact). Man, Heartfeed gives that same feeling. In fact Apple News app has moved off my 1st page and been replaced with Heartfeed. Look for great things from this app and developer.

Reactions: willmtaylor

ortiz3m

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Houston TX
@simmepi is there any chance we will see a macOS or WatchOS versions? MacOS would look great on big screen and watchos would be cool to have the newest article of each feed.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I want to like HeartFeed but wish all articles had a picture icon to make it look better. I know like you said that is not possible all the time.

So I changed options to text only and it looks nicer. I just can't decide if HeartFeed is worth it. Does it alert me when a new article is posted ?

simmepi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2016
@simmepi is there any chance we will see a macOS or WatchOS versions? MacOS would look great on big screen and watchos would be cool to have the newest article of each feed.
Sorry for the late answer; seems like after some replies I no longer get notifications from macrumors about new posts in this thread so I missed this question!

Anyhow, I'd like to do something for WatchOS. Mainly because it would be fun to learn how to write an app for the watch, but also because it might be cool. It is not on the top priority list but I hope to get to it sometime. Would also be nice to have an actual physical watch to try it out since I really would like to test such a thing for real, not only on an emulator.

As for macOS, no plans there. However, I am working on bookmark functionality and I hope to be able to at least make it possible to reach those easily on a Mac. Future will tell!

And I'm glad you like the app!
[doublepost=1472745426][/doublepost]
I want to like HeartFeed but wish all articles had a picture icon to make it look better. I know like you said that is not possible all the time.

So I changed options to text only and it looks nicer. I just can't decide if HeartFeed is worth it. Does it alert me when a new article is posted ?
I'd also like to have an image for each post but unfortunately, currently I cannot support that. Sorry!

As for notifications the answer is similar: It would need server-support and I'm really trying to keep the app as standalone, at least for now.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Sorry for the late answer; seems like after some replies I no longer get notifications from macrumors about new posts in this thread so I missed this question!

Anyhow, I'd like to do something for WatchOS. Mainly because it would be fun to learn how to write an app for the watch, but also because it might be cool. It is not on the top priority list but I hope to get to it sometime. Would also be nice to have an actual physical watch to try it out since I really would like to test such a thing for real, not only on an emulator.

As for macOS, no plans there. However, I am working on bookmark functionality and I hope to be able to at least make it possible to reach those easily on a Mac. Future will tell!

And I'm glad you like the app!
[doublepost=1472745426][/doublepost]
I'd also like to have an image for each post but unfortunately, currently I cannot support that. Sorry!

As for notifications the answer is similar: It would need server-support and I'm really trying to keep the app as standalone, at least for now.

No problem I no longer get notifications after replies either on macrumors and several other forums either. It must be a epidermic of the same problem lol.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Still loving HeartFeed...using it every day. One small request? Maybe not small...I have no idea. I would love to be able to just swipe back to the feeds list after tapping into the main article, instead of tapping Done every time.

simmepi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2016
Still loving HeartFeed...using it every day. One small request? Maybe not small...I have no idea. I would love to be able to just swipe back to the feeds list after tapping into the main article, instead of tapping Done every time.
Thanks for the kind words :)

As for the request: You and me both, actually!

The problem is that there is a bug in iOS when using the Safari view together with such a swipe gesture in certain scenarios, and the way views are handled in Heartfeed is unfortunately one of those. There is a discussion of the bug here (SVC = Safari View Controller) and as you can see, all the workarounds mentioned there are ways to disable the swipe: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/29048

However, as you can see this was reported in iOS 9. It is a bit problematical for me to test if this is still a bug in iOS 10 since it was not always reproducible and I myself could never reproduce it (it depends on timing of the swipe -> it depends on speed of gesture, speed of web page loading, speed of CPU, ...), but I do know disabling the swipe stopped the bug reports.
I will look into this again since as mentioned, I'd also like to be able to swipe back!

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

The problem is that there is a bug in iOS when using the Safari view together with such a swipe gesture in certain scenarios, and the way views are handled in Heartfeed is unfortunately one of those. There is a discussion of the bug here (SVC = Safari View Controller) and as you can see, all the workarounds mentioned there are ways to disable the swipe: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/29048

However, as you can see this was reported in iOS 9. It is a bit problematical for me to test if this is still a bug in iOS 10 since it was not always reproducible and I myself could never reproduce it (it depends on timing of the swipe -> it depends on speed of gesture, speed of web page loading, speed of CPU, ...), but I do know disabling the swipe stopped the bug reports.
I will look into this again since as mentioned, I'd also like to be able to swipe back!
I also use it daily. Thanks!

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I also still use it daily and is my go to news feed app and is on my main screen. I'm still hoping to also have a better share feature for Twitter/Facebook so it shows a nice name of the article + link + image instead of a link only.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004

Is there anyway to make the news feed go back further? I tend to go back quite a few days, and HeartFeed doesn't seem to keep all the stories in the feed. Both Pulse and Feedly had the ability to look at stories months old.

Otherwise, absolutely love the app. I gave you a glowing review on the App Store a few days ago. Thanks for your efforts! :)

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
How is heartfeed any different from Reeder ?

UI wise these are totally different. Heartfeed can show a list of images per RSS feed like Pulse News did. I just looked at Reeder for the first time and it seems text only and then when you press an article the image shows up as well besides the text.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
UI wise these are totally different. Heartfeed can show a list of images per RSS feed like Pulse News did. I just looked at Reeder for the first time and it seems text only and then when you press an article the image shows up as well besides the text.

True but Heartfeed can only show a image if there is one. Which sucks.

I still haven't decided if I should get Heartfeed or not lol.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Get it from the website article.
I'm no coding expert, but aren't these news aggregators just RSS feeds with window dressings? I thought the source material either has the images or doesn't. These types of apps aren't curated news magazines. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Reactions: max2

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Can heartfeed use another RSS service to sync or no ?

Also how do you add a news feed to Heartfeed without the bing web search ?

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Can heartfeed use another RSS service to sync or no ?
Also how do you add a news feed to Heartfeed without the bing web search ?

No it doesn't have a sync feature with e.g. Feedly or other RSS feed services. Feedly is also nice although I prefer the UI of Heartfeed with like a list of images per feed although the groups is also nice.

As far as adding news feed this is possible in Heartfeed:
IMG_3690.png

It is not as advanced as Feedly or Newsify but it does the trick for me and UI wise it's best one out there I think because I really like the old 'Pulse News' layout of it.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Is anyone else having problems with Heartfeed Safari view going "blank" partway down the page? I get truncated content and reloading/refreshing doesn't help. Seems to be happening since the latest update.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Is anyone else having problems with Heartfeed Safari view going "blank" partway down the page? I get truncated content and reloading/refreshing doesn't help. Seems to be happening since the latest update.

When I click open up an article in one of my feeds and see most of the article and want to read more then I press the title and it shows up correctly. If that is the Safari view that you are referring to then no I don't have that problem on both my iPhone 5s and iPad mini2running iOS10.2.1.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
It seems to be related to landscape orientation. I can reproduce it by selecting an article, loading it in Safari view, then rotating to landscape. Any content above or below where i had scrolled will be lost and remain blank, even though the view "knows" how long the page is and allows me to scroll. The blankness persists when returning to portrait orientation.

IMG_0330.PNG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.